‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night 4

We Come Out At Night 5

Chapter 32

-------------
Shadows
-------------

“I know you aren’t sleeping.” Izzy was huddled under the blanket. “You can’t take that blanket to the beach.”Izzy turned over onto her back and looked at me. “Hey, I think I recognize you! You’re the birthday girl.”

She looked up at me with the slightest hint of a smile on he face. “Izzy, it’s ok to be happy.” She put her arms around my neck and I lifted her up. “So, what does the birthday girl want for breakfast?”

“You should already know that!” I laughed and lifted her off the bed with me. I brought her into the living room where breakfast was waiting for her.

“Fruit salad, no pineapple and bagels with cream cheese. How am I doing so far?”

“You’re doing great! That’s my favorite and the first breakfast we ever had together.”

She hugged me and we sat on the living room floor to have breakfast together. “So, do you feel older?”

“No.” She laughed and fed me a strawberry. “I feel hungry.”

I laughed with her and we ate our breakfast together. It was nice to see her happy even if it was just the two of us on her birthday. Birthdays were always a big deal for all of us, but Izzy wouldn’t get the chance to see that and I felt really bad about that part. I was still angry with everyone, but for her, I put on my best face.

An hour later we showered together as we usually did and then got our stuff together for the beach. When we were ready to go, we headed out. I knew she was nervous going down stairs for the fact that we could run in to someone. More specifically, Gates.

I just put my arm around her and kept her shielded and we walked right out the door to my car. It was the perfect day to spend at the beach. The sun was shining and there was just enough of a breeze passing through every once in a while to cool us off from the heat.

“I’ll make this up to you, I promise.” I told her as I stood up to sign some autographs and take a few photos with fans that approached.

“It’s ok.”

Izzy was a good sport about the whole thing; she even took their cameras and shot the photos for them. When they finally left, I laid back down on the blanket and kissed her bare stomach. She giggled and I did it again. “Stop, that tickles.”

“I like it when you laugh!” Instead of kissing her stomach, I kissed her lips this time and when I pulled away she looked up at me with a funny face.

“Oh my God!” She put her hand over her mouth and I looked down at her concerned. “You’re M Shadows! Can I have your autograph?…oh please! I’m your biggest fan!”

“Ha ha very funny.”

“You’re such a good guy.” She reached for my hand and laced her fingers with mine.

“I don’t think I’ll disagree with that!”

She laughed again and squeezed my hand. “Did I mention you’re a little arrogant too?”

“Moi?” I faked a shocked expression and she sat up and looked at me.

“I’ll race you to the water.”

“You race me?” Ok so yeah I was arrogant. “Ok and what do I get if I win?”

“You get me! Now what if I win?”

“If you win, you get a surprise!”

“Ok” We both stood up. “Ok. I’ll count to three and we run on three.”

“Ok” I nodded.

“One…THREE!” She took off like lightning.

“HEY! You cheated!” I yelled as I took off after her and it didn’t take me long to catch up to her. I’m competitive and there is no way I was going to let her win. When I caught up to her I grabbed her around the waist and lifted her up in my arms as I ran to the water. She laughed all the way and when I reached the water, I ran into it and took Izzy right under the water. When we surfaced, she came up sputtering and gasping for air. “Now I don’t get my surprise?” She asked as she clung to my neck.

I laughed and kissed her lips. “Of course you do. Later.”

We stayed in the water for a while longer and afterwards, we went back up to the blanket to dry off and have lunch. When the early evening set in we packed it up and went back to the casino. As we walked in, I felt Izzy squeeze my hand. Everyone was in the bar. I squeeze her hand back affectionately letting her know that everything was ok. We walked past them to the elevator and went upstairs without even acknowledging them.

---------
Christ
--------

“Asshole.” I said it loud enough for Gates to hear and I didn’t care. It wasn’t fair to Izzy that she couldn’t have a birthday party and that none of us were there to wish her the best.

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.” Gates said.

“Then I’ll say it again just to be sure you did. ASSHOLE.”

Gates put his beer down and looked at me like I had just lost my mind. I guess that’s my cue to leave while my limbs are still attached. After taking Chelsea by the hand, I walked her out of the bar and to the elevator.

I pushed the button for the penthouse and took a chance that Shadows would see me. When I walked into the living room Shadows was sitting on the couch with Izzy.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” He said. Izzy’s head hung low and she wouldn’t look at me. That was painful.

“Can you step outside for a minute?”

He nodded and got off the couch to follow Chelsea and me out of to the hall. “Can you make this quick. It is Izzy’s birthday and we have plans.”

“Yeah sure. You need to come outside though. There’s something you need to see.” He nodded patiently and followed us out to the parking lot.

“It’s over there.” I pointed and he looked where I pointed and then looked back at me.

“What about it?” He asked.

“There’s a card inside.” We walked over to the car and I stood to the side while he opened the door and pulled out the card. When he opened it, he looked up at me.

“Is this a joke?”

“Not a joke.” I shook my head and he continued to read the card.

“Izzy & Matt,

Please accept this as a small token of proof that I am going to keep my word and put an end to the feud once and for all. Some time ago, Izzy stole a car just like this one to get away from me. I guess she was too naïve to know who the car belong to.

Fate was the fickle bastard that brought you two together as it did Kayla and me. As much as you may not believe this, I will always hold a place in my heart for Izzy. Although, I’m sure you find it harder to believe that I actually have a heart.

So, for Izzy, Happy Birthday pretty girl and for Matt, we’ll never have the friendship that we once had, but know that now that I know the truth, I can let Mariella rest in peace.

Best wishes to both of you,

Yours truly,
Marco & Kayla.


“Well, I’ll be damned.” Shadows stood in front of the red Ferrari that Marco had delivered while he and Izzy were at the beach and he looked like he was at a complete loss for words.

“So, you want to come upstairs and have some cake?”

“Sounds good.” I nodded and we went back up to the penthouse.

--------------
Shadows
--------------

Christ and Chelsea stayed for a few hours and Izzy seemed a little uncomfortable at first, but it subsided quickly. She was able to make amends with Johnny and Chelsea and the rest of the night went along as well as can be. At least she had two friends.

“So, did you enjoy yourself today?”

“Yes. Thank you.” She smiled.

I got up from the bed and walked out of the bedroom leaving her there alone. When I returned, I had something for her in each hand. She sat back against the headboard as I sat down on the edge of the bed. “Now, I don’t believe you made a wish yet.” I set a piece of cake on her lap with a lit candle and she sighed. “Well, what are you waiting for?”

“I already have my wish.”

“Come on now, there must be something that you want.”

“Ok.” She sighed again and blew out her candle. “Wish made!”

I took the piece of cake from her lap and set it down on the end table. “Now, I think I might have mentioned something about a surprise.”

“I think I remember that.” She giggled.

I set a red bag down on her lap and she smiled before looking inside. She pulled out the box and the card and set the box down in her lap to open the card.

“You little prankster!” She laughed and hit me with the card. It read:

“To my biggest fan,

Thanks for all your love and support.

M Shadows.


“Well you did ask for my autograph.” I chucked again and she leaned forward and kissed me. “Open the box.”

She lifted the lid and pulled out the necklace. It was a diamond-encrusted butterfly. “Wow, it’s amazing.”

She put the necklace down in the box and hugged me. “Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet. That’s just your surprise, it’s not your birthday present.”

She sat back and looked at me confused. “Come on, you have to come downstairs with me for this.” I took the box and put it back in the bag and set the bag down on the floor.

After taking her hand I waited while she got off the bed, and led her out of the penthouse to the elevator. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.”
I walked her off the elevator and down to the gift shop. It was closed and I had meant for it to be. I pulled the keys out of my pocket while Izzy looked on even more confused.

I opened the door and led her inside. It was dark and she felt around for a light switch, but I took her hand instead. " I want you to stand right here and don’t move. "I took a lighter out of my pocket and lit one of the candles that I had asked the cashier to leave for me. With that candle I walked over to the display I had set up and lit all the other candles around it. I had just one more thing to do. Shake!

“Can I come back there now?” She yelled.

“One more minute!” I told her and when everything was ready, I walked back up front to get her. I held a hand over her eyes as I led her down the isle to the back wall. “Ready?”

“Yes!” She giggled and I took my hand from her eyes so she could see her present. The whole back wall was filled with snow globes all for her. Every one was just like the first one she had except for the one in the center. The one in the center had the penthouse sitting in the middle of it with two people sitting on the couch. The light from the candles made it look like it was really snowing in all of them.

“Oh my.” She covered her mouth with her hand and tears started to well up in her eyes.

“Hey! There’s no crying allowed in my casino. New rule!”

She laughed and sniffled back a sob before jumping into my arms. “That’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I don’t know how to thank you.”

“You just did.” I smiled. “Now, help me blow out all these candles before we set the place on fire.” She laughed and together we blew out the candles. Afterwards, we went back upstairs and spent the rest of the evening at peace alone.