To Live Her Life

January 28th; Midday

Océane had been sitting in a makeshift shelter/ tent since arriving at the Arabic's temporary base camp (as she found it to be not long after arriving.) They were gathering and regrouping, while expanding the camp and their perimeter in the process. Now, there was about 3 miles distance between one side and the next, all over there were people. It was in ways like a mini-society would be thought to look like.

After Ullah, the man whom had stared at her on the ride to this place, the camp, had left she hadn't heard or seen much of him at all.

Océane had however, found one of her older brothers, whom she had been sticking close to... or as close as she could. People were always watching...waiting for her to make a mistake. She tried her best not too, but after spending only a brief amount of time with Youri she had let her “standards” slide a bit and was now doing some things she never would have in any other situation.

She had some “fun” trying to explain to him where the twins came from, as well as the clothes and what she had been through. She did however leave out and edit a few things...

Flashback 4 days to January 24th

Ullah walked to the Riyadh section in the camp, anxiously trying to get rid of Océane as well as the two other children he had no say in picking up, blacked out, along the roadside. He glanced back to see her hobbling slowly but surely behind, slower because of the gash still healing on her leg. It had since been wrapped in cloth but that didn't mean it wasn't a bad cut nor that it didn't hurt... He gave her some credit to suffer through the pain. Although it was only a tiny amount of credit if you could even consider it that. It was actually just a thought...

Ibrahim and Aleia were still with Océane as they were left at the opening of the tent-like structure, she looked over her shoulder at the man stalking angry away from where they were left. She rolled her eyes and scoffed in her mind before turning her head back forward, taking in the rushing of people all around her. Hand in hand she all but shoved her way through the swarm of men and women, keeping her head low and focused on her feet and the feet in front of her and the toddlers whom she was guiding.

Suddenly she smashed straight into a hard body, a mans, there wasn't a doubt about it. She gasped as she began falling backwards yet was stopped when and arm lunged out and held her up around her middle. She glanced up a moment and instantly threw her body at the man, momentarily forgetting all about the little bodies beside her, clinging to her. She also ignored all previous customs her father had instilled in her- that she fear about being hurt over, as a result of disobeying.

“يا" (Woah.) The deep voice she came accustomed to, spoke.

“نجيب" (Najib...) She whispered in a scared pleading voice as she bolted out of his embrace, backing up from him with wide, unbelieving eyes. ' Did I really just do that?' She hissed in her head to herself. Recognition dawned on him as he looked lovingly down at his baby sister, standing there shaking in fear for being happy to see him... after being away and going through only God knew what. He had no clue, as you know.

He looked at her up and down, assessing her condition. She was skinny, though she always had been. Now it was more noticeable because of her exposed arms... 'Wait.' He took in her clothes, men's clothes...

He grabbed onto her arm and roughly pulled her in the direction of his sleeping spot. She fought a bit, making him slow as his hearing picked up two like whimpers and one cry. She rushed back to where they had been a millisecond before and grabbed the two little hands before rushing back to him. The action confused him... 'Where did they come from.'

He grabbed her lower back and pulled her quickly away from the other men, hoping the damage wasn't already done... That she wouldn't be punished for her immodesty.

Once inside the large tent, he let down the flap of cloth to cover the entryway.

“ماذا تعتقد؟ للقتل هل تريد؟" (What are you thinking? Do you want to be killed?) He all but hissed out of fear for her, not so much of anger. He stalked further inside, leaving her ashamed as she stood there. At once he turned looking back at her, realizing the harshness in his voice. “...Océane” He drawled trying to find the right words to make her understand how he was feeling. The only thing that came to mind was; “أنا آسف" (I'm sorry.)

She looked up but then back down when she heard a tiny, squeak of a voice say,“Oshie. ” Glancing back down Aleia was pulling on the hem of her shirt as she hid behind her legs. Ibrahim was standing defensively about a foot in front of the girls, his hands on his hips as he started the the much, much larger and older man talking “meanly” to “Oshie.”

“من هم؟" (Who are they?) A hand was motioned to Ibrahim in particular. “هذا هو إبراهيم ، و” (This is Ibrahim and...) She bent down and picked up the younger girl into her arms, “...Aleia.”

“أين تجد لهم؟" (Where did you find them at?) Najib asked as he started digging through random peoples clothes in search of more appropriate clothing for Océane to wear. He found a long black skirt as well as an old looking abaya and small sheer scarf in a woman's stash. There was nothing that woman could do to him to get them back so he assumed she wouldn't care in the least about him “stealing” the various clothing items for his sister.

He gave them to her as she began telling him the whole story, he turned with Ibrahim as she began changing... both of them back to back looking in different directions.

“لقد جاءوا الى بيت وجعلني الذهاب معهم. أنا لا أعرف لماذا لأنهم هم الذين قتلوا ، قتل والد نجيب.” (They came into the house and made me go with them. I do not know why because they killed- they killed father, Najib.) She paused “وتركوني وعادوا مع اثنين منهم... لقد تم حولها منذ ذلك الحين ولكنني لم يحصل عليها حتى ونحن... نجا" (They left me and then came back with the two of them... They've been around since then but I did not get them back until we... escaped.)

This just lead into a whole new string of questions, which she now answered modestly clothed, the best she could without giving out too much information. Such as in regards to Youri. She made sure to leave him out of everything. As far as Najib knew, Youri didn't exist at all.

And she obviously wanted it that way.

End Flashback

“Océane” She turned around at the sound of her brothers voice. “ولا بد لي من الرحيل.” (I have to leave). He muttered, not wasting any time in telling her what he needed to, as he walked towards her. She had recently been mending a few holes in Najib's clothing out of sheer boredom. She wasn't permitted by him to leave since she was supposed to stay “under the radar” so to speak. So she had been doing little things such as these whenever the twin fell asleep. Otherwise she would play with or watch the two of them do whatever it was that the 2 year old's wanted to do.

To say the least, they both were entirely beyond fascinated with the small little bouncy ball Océane found in one of her pockets.

Sometimes at night she had nightmares... Other times, she reminisced events that happened like a movie only in fast foreword. Ending as soon as it began before flashing to another memory. One that kept coming back was of that one time she was caught playing with the little inanimate object... Now it seems like nothing, but then it was so foreign and strange...how it just would ricochet off the ground and back into the air when dropped.

She spent all those previous nights curled up into a ball, Youri's clothes tightly locked into her hands as she breathed in the ever fading scent on them. She feared loosing the memories with the scent that was disappearing with every minute that past. Soon she would forget his smell, and then him and- she just couldn't think about doing so.

“لماذا؟" (Why?) She asked sadly, feeling cursed and rejected. Everyone always goes away, disappears...

“انهم يريدون الخروج ، تطويق وقطع مصدر إمداد أعداء ، من دون أحكام ليس لديهم خيار سوى الاستسلام أو الخروج من هذه قليلا "السماء" آمنة أقاموا خارج شرق على الحدود مباشرة.” (They want to move out, encircle and cut off the enemies supply source, without provisions they have no choice but to surrender or come out of their little "safe" heaven they have set up out east just over the border.) Océane gulped, fearing the end results of both sides. Which she began questioning her loyalty... Her people including her brothers (one of whom was still unaccounted for) or... Youri.

The look on her face, although hidden, could be seen simply through her eyes. Najib had long since learned to read her like a book in that way, through her eyes. And he could tell she was upset. Sad even. But it wasn't because he was leaving. There was something else there making her uneasy, someone else.

And that set him off. His face reddened with anger as he walked closer.

“صحيح ، أليس كذلك.” ( It's true, isn't it?) He spoke in a yell; just looking at her sudden guilt ridden expression, it wasn't even one of surprise due to the accusation. He felt as though she was just waiting for him to question her... She betrayed him “أليس كذلك!” (Isn't it!) He screamed. Her cowering demeanor told him everything. “كيف يمكن لك؟" (How could you?) He was disappointed, oh so furious and disgusted with her now that he realized all the talk of the camp was in deed, correct. He didn't want to believe it since she was his baby sister, he gave her the benefit of the doubt that it was just rumors-

“أنا من أنا" (I- I...) She wasn't even able to tell him, to explain- anything.

“لا استطيع ان اصدق لكم! انها مثيرة للشفقة Océane! انت من المفترض أن يكون في صالحنا ، خاصة الجانب الخاص الشعوب ، ليس سخيف بعض طفل العدو... ما هو الخطأ معك؟” (I cannot believe you! It's pathetic Océane! You are supposed to be on our side, your own peoples side; not fucking some enemy kid... what is wrong with you?)

“بو" (Bu-) She tried to tell him it wasn't what he thought... She never did anything like that to Youri, ever. Never, ever. Not like he was implying... It was all wrong. He had only saved her from being killed that day she never did anything-

“اسكت!” (Shut Up!) He screamed right back at her not even giving her a chance to speak a full word. “فقط ، فقط... أيا كان.” (Just- Just... Whatever.) And he turned sharply, stalking angry out of the tent.

Leaving Océane, a tattered, broken mess.

Things had been going so well.

Only to crash and burn...