Status: In the makings...

Are You Scared Yet?

Vingt.

“—an, sir, we are here.” I heard a soft murmur as I slowly began to wake up. I yawned, rubbing my eyes with one hand. I saw Keith leaning over the table, waking me from my slumber. “Shh, Marie is still asleep,”—I turned, and he was right; she was fast sleep with my arm around her, nestled into me—“But you’ll have to wake her up soon. We’re home.”

A giant grin immediately grew on my face as I heard those words. We’re home. Home sweet home. I unintentionally woke Marie as I jolted upwards to see the castle from the window’s view, and there it was, as tall and elegant as ever.

“Wha—What’s going on?” Marie silently questioned while stretching her arms in the air. She lightly opened her eyes and caught a glance of the castle. Her eyes immediately widened as her jaw dropped. “Brendan, I—I don’t know about this…”

I hugged her tight, glad to still have her by my side, and assured her things would be okay. “You haven’t a thing to worry about, Marie. I promise you I’ll be around as much as possible, and if you’re upset, I’m upset, and trust me—no one wants to make me displeased around here; it’s practically a sin. That is, everyone except my father, but he’s at high status than me, so that’s another story. All in all, you’re fine.”

I heard a soft giggle from her as I stood up and we swayed our way out of the jet. By the second we hit the exit and flowed down the stairs serenely, about ten workers were there to bow down at my steps which created an uneasy look on Marie’s face.

“Everyone, I know how this is how you’re taught, but just around Marie, could you all please loosen up just a tad bit? She’s a commoner.”—she shot me a slightly insulted look, but shrugged it off knowing it was technically true—“But by any means, that does not mean that you should treat her with any less respect than myself; after all, she is my heroine.

I said it aloud because I could tell everyone knew about it, but couldn’t wait for me to say it myself as if it was too good to be true. I know what they are thinking: The stubborn Brendan finding a lover this fast, without a pout or fit? Fantastic! Just knowing this set a saddened arrow through my happiness, but it was okay. I’m a Lexington, and they are allowed to judge me, but I promise that I am going to try to loosen up while staying firm, being me than rather what my father sets me up to be along with the title of a Lexington.

They had even set up a red velvet carpet that rolled its way up to the side entrance of the castle, and we followed it all the way there, the workers following up with happy-toned murmurs.

“Brendan,” Marie had whispered, wrapping her arm around my waist probably to make sure I had her attention and that I could hear her through the silent roar of the others. “I… I feel like they are talking about m—us. No, I know they are talking about us. It just feels… weird. Is this what it’s always going to be like here?”

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and pulled her towards me a bit more than she was already. “Marie, you’re practically dating royalty. In your world, it would be broadcasted on ever channel and paper around. Now, people are just amazed that I found you so quickly, as am I. It’s hard to find the perfect love in a flash.”

She flashed me an awkward smile, making me realize that I was possibly sugar-coating this a bit too much. Maybe on another occasion it would be okay, but right now she is already being treated odd enough; she just needed me to act like a normal person for the moment.

I sighed. “Just know that they can say what they want and think what they want, but when it comes down to it, it’s only our opinions that count in the end. Now, we have a royal breakfast to attend to.” I added as the huge doors were opened for us, Marie staring around in awe which lead me to snickering under my breath; this was all average to me, it was her definition that astounded me—but not in the greatest of ways.

I answered some of her basic questions, like some of the names of good people here, pleasant workers, and who too avoid along with descriptions. I told her a bit about my sister, Corrine, who she’d probably be staying in a room right by. Ordinarily, it may seem she should stay in my room, but she’s not necessarily allowed to until after the ceremony. Until then, she’d be staying in the room between my sister and I.

“Trust me, you’ll be fine, you’ve just got to adjust.” I attempted to convince her. “Now I—”

“Big brother!” I heard from around the hall along with click-clocking footsteps echoing. “Is that you? Are you really here?” When she finally perked around, her face glowed with excitement. “Oh it’s true! You’re back!” Corrine pounced at me, my little sister who was only two years younger than myself. I was forced to let go of Marie, and I picked up Corrine and swung her around as her yellow dress flowed. Once I set her down, we both shared a little laugh and she added, “And I see you brought a little friend!”

I beamed and turned to Marie who stood there, grinning, yet in an awkward pose as if she didn’t know how to react. “Marie—meet Corrine, my sister.”

"Splendid!" Corrine exclaimed, clapping once while perking up. "Brendan, I'm going to steal her for a moment to get her ready for morning breakfast! Toodle-ooo!" She grabbed Marie by the wrist before I had time to respond and pecked me on the cheek. "By big brother!"

She darted down the hall with Marie who gave me a frightened look, yet didn't fight Corrine's pull. I had a feeling that this royalty business was blocking off her normal reactions. "B... Bren... B—bye!" Marie stuttered as she was pulled deeper through the hall.

"Heheh," I chuckled to myself. "Have fun you two!"

I threw my arms in the air and behind my neck in a resting position. "Now it's time to go talk to father dearest." I sighed, somewhat sarcastic, yet a bit happy to finally see him in a way. Conflicting feelings, but oh well.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Sigh* Let me explain.
At first, I procrastinated a bit, but then some glitches happened.
When I was typing at first, my cap locks got caught and yeah... I couldn't post that.
Later, I ended up getting removed as an author... (I do not blame her, I assure you!)
I tried to fix it on my own, but it didn't work. I asked Mackie for help, and here I am. :)

Now, thank you for waiting patiently... :D
How about some welcome back comments? ;)