Highschool 101

Cody

“Hey, Justin?” Kinsey started, timidly a week later at school. He looked at her and smiled.

“Yeah babe?” she bit her lip.

“How come you’ve met MY dad, but I’ve never met anyone in your family?” his breath hitched.

“Well… I… uh,” she sighed.

“Do you not want them to meet me?” his eyes widened.

“Of course I do! It’s just… complicated,” she pouted and he felt his resolve weakening.

“It would mean a lot to me…” she whispered, batting her eyelashes. Justin groaned.

“FINE! I'll take you over there after school. Just, don’t hate me when you see what’s going on,” Kinsey nodded and eyed him suspiciously but dropped the subject.

“Kinsey, I don’t think this is such a good idea,” Justin said when he pulled into his driveway that afternoon. She sighed.

“Come on! It can’t be that bad! I won’t judge you, I promise,” she gave him a reassuring smile. He took a deep breath and nodded.

“Come on,” he murmured. She nodded and got out of the car.

Walking up the sidewalk, Justin hesitated for a few seconds at the door.

Taking another deep breath, he opened the door and was immediately hugged around the legs.

“Da-“ Justin cut the little girl off, leaning down to pick her up.

“Cody! What are you doing?” she smiled brightly at him then looked at Kinsey.

“Who dat?” she murmured, laying her head on Justin’s shoulder. Justin smiled warmly and kissed her head.

“This is my girlfriend, Kinsey. Kinsey, this is Cody,” Kinsey smiled at Cody, then looked at Justin.

“I didn’t know you had a sister!” Justin’s eyes widened at the statement.

“Uh… oh, mom! Thank God!” Kinsey sent him a look but turned anyway and saw Justin’s mom smiling at her.

“Justin, who’s this?” Justin smiled and wrapped his free arm around Kinsey’s waist.

“Mom, this is Kinsey… my girlfriend,” Justin’s mom nodded and held her hand out. Kinsey shook it softly and smiled brightly.

“It’s so nice to meet you Ms. Bieber. By the way, your daughter’s beautiful,” Ms. Bieber raised her eyebrows at Justin.

“Oh. May I have a word with Justin? Do you mind taking Cody to the living room?” Kinsey shook her head and took the sleepy Cody from Justin’s arm, walking into the living room.

Justin looked at him mom sheepishly.

“You haven’t told her?” she scolded. He shook his head.

“No, I don’t want to lose her,” he murmured. She sighed.

“Justin! Kinsey loves you! I can tell. You won’t lose her. But you will if you don’t tell her the truth about Cody,” she turned on her heel and walked off, leaving Justin to his thoughts.