Uncompatible Love

Great Heights

Ch. 16: Great Heights*start*

*Edward’s POV*

Bella was still moping around about Violette like the rest of us. She was also trying to use that as an excuse not to have her graduation party. I was still a bit regretful towards the whole Violette subject. Slowly everything went back to the way things where suppose to be. Rosalie had gone to France on Tuesday to see Jenevive, she was due home today. Alice was also very worried as to why she couldn’t see her. Jasper would just assure her that my sister was indeed alive, that she was just using her powers to block out everyone else. I knew better though…I knew she could only last so long against certain abilities. Yet I still held onto that bit of hope that maybe she was using her brains to stay away. Maybe she kept an eye out on Alice to see when she would take a brake so that she too could. Then When she had a vision of her trying again, she would automatically prevent her from doing so. Violette was a smart girl, maybe, just maybe, that’s what she did.

-”Edward? Come on. Rosalie’s here.” I snapped out of my own thoughts. I read Rosalie’s thoughts and looked away. She directed every profanity known, towards me. Alice looked up and everyone ran with immense speed towards her.

-”Rosalie! Rose? Did you find her? Is she ok?” Everyone attacked her with questions. I already read the answer in her mind and sighed. At least I knew she was alive right? I spaced out after she began to speak, only listening in to their thoughts incase something important was brought up.

-”*sigh* I went…but… Violette wasn’t with her…Jen said that Violette was alive and safe, but that she took an oath to not tell us where she went…” I flinched yet again at her thoughts. I could feel her glare on me the whole time. “She said she needed to think straight and that she needed somewhere to start fresh…something bout tired of feeling like a selfish little kid.” She spat towards the end. Everyone’s thoughts where swarmed with thoughts and feelings debating my sisters safety. My sister was of great value for her abilities, so the Volturi would hear about her and take her. That got me worried. I could tell it was running through Carlisle’s thoughts as well. The Volturi thought she was a full fledged vampire instead of the hybrid she was.

-”If she didn’t tell you…couldn’t Edward go…he could just read her mind no?” suggested Bella. My eyes snapped open and we all looked at her. Everyone was contemplating this idea. However, Rosalie’s thoughts were sure to put aside my enthusiasm and soon that of the others.

-”I tried telling her that we would just make her tell us by force.” She said angered now. Jasper immediately calmed her down.

-”Rosalie! You shouldn’t have threatened her!” exclaimed Esme.

-”I didn’t…the girl just used her transportation to get away. She said that even if Edward did get here, she’d catch on to his scent and be gone without a trace of her scent for miles.” I sighed.

-”She’s right…I can only read minds at a certain distance…it would be a futile attempt.”

-”Come on! Everyone cheer up! At least she’s alive! Violette is smarter than that! I know…Bella…are you ready for your graduation?” asked Alice happily. Bella groaned. The others where in their own little world thinking about where Violette could be.

-”Not now Alice…there’s still a few weeks before that…” I said. She frowned and I led Bella to the car to take her back home.

*Violet’s POV*

Jacob and I had gotten really close over the last couple days. I was now beginning to come to the conclusions that I, Violette… I mean, Violet Masson, had a crush on Jake. The last few days and nights were spent at his house just talking and fooling around. I never, ever, confronted him about the truth whether he was a shape shifter or not. What was the point? What would will me to ask such a question, when I alone, can not admit what I am. Like I said, I really liked Jacob and did not want to ruin my chances with him or his “pack”.

Today was the day Jacob and me where going cliff diving. I found the idea exhilarating. I could just FEEL the adrenaline pulsing through my veins. I hadn’t run in my vampire form in a while, so I felt trapped. Hopefully with this, I’ll be able to get a kick out of it. Maybe even go out into the water and change. The water should be able to hide my scent, since I was only half vampire, it was only half as strong. I’d bring extra close just in case. *KNOCK, KNOCK* I turned to the door. I shouted for them to come in. Jake finally managed to make me feel completely at home now, so I was coming out of my shell.

“Hey it’s me…uh…you done…we better get there before the sun disappears again. Don’t want you to get swept by the waves” He said only half serious. I nodded.

-”Almost…just packing a bag with essentials. I’ll be down in a second.” I told him. He through me his heart warming smile and walked downstairs. How I could never hear someone of his status walking up that ramp was beyond me. Maybe his grace came with the whole wolf thing, kind of like how a person becomes graceful once their turned. Speaking of grace, staying as a human for four days straight has taken it’s toll on my performance. I’m officially as clumsy as Bella. In only FOUR DAYS! At this rate I’ll be beyond help in a full week, sheesh. I was finally done changing after packing my bag. I decided to wear a one piece. I was never one to like to show off my body. It was purple and open back. It had a short skirt attached to the bottom. It was pretty cute except for what the skirt had. In dark purple it had two giant hand prints on my backside… it didn’t look so good . I put one of Jacob’s shirts, which he generously let me borrow, over the swim suit and then some shorts that where his sister’s. I pulled out my flip flops from under the bed and grabbed my bad before proceeding downstairs.

-”Wow” Jacob said chuckling once he saw my bag. “We’re going to the beach…not on a luxury vacation Vie…” He said as he continued to laugh.

-”Haha…I’ll have you know I need this stuff…it has sun lotion, sun glasses, extra clothes in case these get wet…and two extra large towel.” I said smiling my innocent smile. He smirked. I panicked. Unfortunately, over the extent of my stay I also learned that Jacob was just as big a perv as the other boys.

-”Why have TWO towels…you said it was extra large….besides I think I can do a better job at keeping ya dry than that thing…much more comfy too.” He said as he patted his bare chest. I forced my self not to look, but…I just HAD to see. Man! He was amazing. Was he beautiful everywhere? I saw him huff his chest out, boasting his broad muscles, as he smirked at me. I turned red and cleared my throat as I turned my head to the side. “What’s the matter Vie…like what you see?” Ok now he was flirting?!

-”Um…I, I think I-it’s best-we should go.” I stuttered looking down. Uh I wish my bangs covered my whole face at this point. I could feel my face scorching from embarrassment, I could only imagine how scarlet it was.

-”Alright then…if your sure…let’s go then.” He said as he led me to his car. I nodded and followed him.

As we neared I could already smell that salty air I smiled and remembered when I caught that scent on the way to Bella’s. ‘It’s no wonder he had that scent lingering around him…he must come here often.’ I thought to myself. I was happy though. I loved how he smelled. I just wondered how he’d smell to my strong vampire nose. It was much more effective in picking up scents. I also never understood why his scent didn’t seem bad too me. ‘Eh being part human has it’s advantages….that’s for SURE…’ I thought.

Jacob parked the car on a parking lot a little ways away from the beach. I could see a few people coming out of the woods. I recognized them as Quil, Embry and Seth. I smiled at them as they waved for us to hurry. I unbuckled my seat belt, but when I turned to open the door it was wide open with Jake gesturing for me to pass. Now me being from the time that I was, swooned over his actions. Chivalry was NOT dead. I was glad of that, it proved even the oldest of things can stay alive. Damn I’m living proof of that.

-”Hey Vie!” The boys called. I give them each a hug hello.

-”Ever done this before?” asked Seth. I shook my head no.

-”Well than maybe we shouldn’t start at the usual spot guys-I don’t wan her getting-I mean-she could get hurt.” Said Jacob.

-”Nah! She can take it, right?” asked Quil jokingly. “Then again, probably scared of heights aren’t cha?” I smirked at him.

-”I can handle it. I don’t mind extreme sports.” I said now grinning. “I just…don’t think I can go alone…does any one wanna…” I trailed off. The only reason I was asking was because I was hoping Jacob would volunteer. I was never afraid of heights, not even now as I stand human. Although, if my view changes because I’m, lets say, standing at the edge of the cliff then that’s something else. I almost frowned when I saw Seth and Embry open their mouths at the same time, each one trying to cover the other’s mouth with their hand. Quil laughed as he saw the two mumbling boys.

-”Well……if your sure…I’ll go with you.” Jake said smiling. I nodded and the other two moped as they headed up towards a certain cliff. Quil continued to laugh, smacking both besides their heads and making a quick dash for the place where Paul and Jared were waiting. That left me and Jake walking alone…together….slowly. “Uh…so…you take Paul’s advice?” I looked at him confused. “You know…the two piece” He began laughing when he said two piece. I blushed.

-”I…I don’t feel comfortable showing my body…” His mouth was left agape. I sighed. “If you leave your mouth like that, you might just swallow a fly…” I told him sarcastically. He closed it stunned.

-”Seriously?! But why-I mean you have a nice body and…” He just took notice of what he said and his eyes widened. I cocked my head to the side and rose an eyebrow at him. “N..Not that I’m looking or anything! It’s just that….*sigh* never mind…forget I said anything.” He said shaking his head. I laughed a little.

-”It’s ok…I know you mean well…um…hey race you to the others.?” I asked. He nodded. Right when he did I ran for it as fast as I could. Mind you that he IS a shape shifter and I am, but a human at the moment. I may have lost, but I was grinning and laughing the whole way there. Who knew loosing could be so much fun? I was so used to always winning at the Cullen home.

-”Haha…nice try Jared…told you Jake wouldn’t let her win.” said Embry as Jared handed him $5. I just shook my head. Jake had told me that his friends where always betting over the most trivial of things.

-”Sooo…who’s gonna jump first?…” asked Paul mockingly while looking at me.

-”I was actually wondering if we could go second…I want to see how it’s done first.” I told him

-”We?” I nodded motioning to me and Jacob with my hand like it was the most obvious thing in the world. He nodded making an “O” with his mouth.

-”I’ll go first…Just look at me, ok Vie?” I nodded as Seth enthusiastically smiled and walked over to the edge. I saw him look over and then………no more Seth. All that was herd was the over sized boy’s laughter and then the loud splash that fallowed afterwards. We herd Seth call up from below. “See?! Come On!” Quil laughed and made a “make room” gesture. The boys rolled their eyes as he took a running start.

I watched in awe as Quil jumped up high doing a few flips before landing. The boys all shouted “show off” to him.

-”So do you wanna try it now?” asked Jacob. I nodded. I began to unbutton the shorts. Jacob’s eye’s went wide as the other two watched.

-”Taking off my shorts…” I said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Which it was.

-”I can SEE that, but…um…here…change behind me.” He said as he tried to cover the view the others had of me. I shrugged figuring it did not matter either way since I had a bathing suit under. I patted his back signaling I was done. He moved aside and I thought his jaw would have hit the floor. He shook it off and I laughed as he blushed.

-”Niiiccceee…” Paul said as he stretched out the word. I blushed and stuck my hand out for Jacob to take. I looked over the edge. It did not look to high. I had done this once before while trying to get away from the Volturi when I had just befriended Jen. Then again, I did not bruise at the time. I really hope this doesn’t hurt. Jacob must have seen my hesitation as he began to speak.

-”You don’t have to you know…I won’t think any less of you. I’m sure the guys won’t either…” He whispered I smiled, but his attempts where pointless when the boys muttered something.

-”Come on! Hurry Up! We don’t Have all day!”

-”I doubt that.” I muttered. He frowned at me. I smiled, hoping he would drop it. He did. I took in a big breathe to relieve my nerves. It worked. I nodded my head repeatedly. “Ok…I’m ready.” he gripped my hand tighter.

-”I won’t let anything happen to you…I promise.” I smiled at him, grateful with his kindness. “At the count of three….one…two…three!” With that we were soaring. I don’t know at what time, but Jake pulled me close to his chest. I could feel the wind once and then nothing as he held me. The adrenaline rush stopped as all I felt was his warmth. I was floating, not falling. I could here him laughing and then my little world ended. I could feel the sudden temperature change as we hit the water. It felt like little pine needles prickling my body. Then I felt a tug at my waist and was pulled to the surface. I said nothing. I did nothing. I was also pretty sure my facial expression was blank. I could here the frantic calls of the others as they thought I was hurt and/or injured. Suddenly the whole experience downed on me.

-”That…Was….AWESOME!” I shouted grinning widely. I saw the others sigh in relief then grin. “Let’s go again!” I shouted and we all went back to the cliff for another round.

We soon just stayed in the water playing and splashing each other. The whole time I was grinning and laughing like an idiot. I had even completely forgotten about the urge to turn back to a vampire. Even if it was for a little bit, I forgot. I felt so…normal, so at peace. I was sincerely happy amongst these teenage shape shifters. I started getting a little tired and made my way to the shore.

-”Where you going?!” I herd them all shout.

-”To rest! I’m a little beat!” I shouted as my response. They all resumed what the were doing. I went to my bag to take out a towel and lotion. I spread the towel out and sat on it. I herd the boys all laugh past me as they made their way back to the cliffs. I assumed they all went, so when someone sat next to me I almost jumped out of my skin. “Oh! Jacob! You scared me.” I told him as I placed my palm over my heart.

-”Sorry.” he said as he chuckled. I smiled as I shook my head. I took out the other towel and laid it down next to mine, patting at it for him to sit. He did. I began to put the lotion. I watched from the corner of my eye as he watched my hands. I reached my back and couldn’t reach. I turned to him.

-”Could you…” I trailed off as I motioned from the lotion to my back. He just took it with out a word. I pulled my hair to the side so he could do it easily. I herd the sound of the thick liquid come out as he smeared it on his hands. I could tell he was nervous. I thought I’d try to get rid of the tension. “So we still on for the movies later on?” As I asked that question he was pouring more lotion on his hands. He must have squeezed it too hard because it created a strange gushing noise as it poured out.

-”Uh…What…I mean..yea, Yea we are!” He shouted excited now. I giggled at his enthusiasm.

-”Ok then…um I think my back good….thank you” I said as I turned around. I hadn’t noticed how close he was because when I did turn we were, but inches apart.