Uncompatible Love

Remembering the Past, Living The Future

Ch. 28: Remembering the Past, Living the Future (this ones going to be real long and EXTRA juicy! Seriously!!)*start*

*Vie’s POV* ~~~~~Next Day, Morning~~~~~

I woke up abruptly when suddenly a hand wounded a bit to tightly around my waist. Jacob sounded mad in his sleep, practically growling. I shook him awake, or tried, but couldn’t. Any movement I made only triggered him, making his hold on me grow tighter. It began to feel uncomfortable, and soon enough, even painful. I let out a shriek when he began to shake , a lot. Not like if he was going to change, just like how you do when your mad. Then again maybe he was that mad, that he would change.

-”Jacob!” I shouted, that did it. His eyes snapped open, looking around. I was gasping slightly, as he stood up and came over to my side, worried.

-”Oh my god! Are you ok? Did I hurt you?” he asked, sadness and worry evident in his tone. I shook my head.

-”I’m fine. What happened? I mean you were….so calm then…..you were…I don’t know. It looked like you were going to cry.” I said sympathetic now. “Did you have a nightmare?”

-”I…Yea. It was…it looked…..it was so real.” he said looking away and sliding a hand through his shaggy hair. I hugged him, leaning down too. He hugged me too, but stopped, lifting my sweatshirt slightly. There were slight marks on my waist and he frowned. “I’m sorry.” He looked disappointed in himself.

-”Hey…look at me. It’s ok. You had a nightmare, that’s all. You didn’t intend to hurting me. What was the nightmare about?” he was quiet and looked like he was in his own world. ”It’s…it’s ok if you don’t want to tell me…I understand.” I told him, slightly disappointed that he didn’t trust me.

-”I am...it’s just… *sigh* can you hug me? Tightly I mean.” I did as told. He would gingerly stroke my waist, over the red marks. “Thanks….I…”He just kept sighing and would look as his hands soothed the markings on my waist. I sighed out annoyed, and moved his hands.

-”It’s ok Jake! What’s wrong? Your scaring me now.” I told him, leaning my cheek on his.

-”In the dream…I….they hurt you…I couldn’t help you. You were bleeding, and…they all came after you….” I was confused.

-”Who Jake?” I asked.

-”The filthy leeches.” he snarled. I just soothed his hair and hummed a little, trying to calm him. “But that won’t happen. I’ll always, always….protect you.” I sighed.

-”Jake…you can’t always protect me….” his grip tightened a bit as he burried his head in my neck. “I can …I can take care of myself too…ok?” he shook his head ‘no’. I sighed and just kissed his cheek. “See? No more weird action flicks for you. Its all the stupid movies fault.” he laughed somewhat.

-”Yea…maybe…” He kissed my neck. I just smiled and I heard a door open. We usually woke up before Billy, giving us enough time to get downstairs.

-”Quick! Billy’s …”

-”I already know!” I shut up, hearing the elder’s voice. Jake chuckled.

-”Well, I guess no more sneaking around into your room huh?” asked Jake.

-”Your both grounded!” we heard him yell, then the door swing open, we both pulled apart. “Jake just go to Sam for patrols and errands, Vie, just…eh your ok…” I smiled.

-”What?!?! But she- that’s not-Dad!” Billy laughed at Jacob‘s rambling and whining.

-”I can’t help it, I just know this was your idea, look at her...too innocent for that type of thing to cross her mind Jake. Now me, I was a teenage boy once and let me tell you…”

-”Please! Don’t! Don’t…tell me…” I laughed at Jake’s face and walked downstairs, glad the mood had lighten up a bit. I still couldn’t help but wonder about Jake’s dream. It was….strangely….well strange…and somewhat…it fel right….I’d just blow it off for now. I went downstairs to make breakfast.

~~~~~~After Breakfast~~~~~~~~

I had been cleaning around while Jacob would argue with his dad about the punishment not being fair. I would just laugh and shake my head. I would just talk to Billy once Jacob was gone. Jake and I weren’t doing anything wrong, so there was no need to ground him. If Billy still insisted on the punishment, then I’d tell him that it’s only fair he punish me too since I could have just told Jake to go to his room. So this was as much my fault as it was his, if not more. I heard the phone ring and I went to answer it.

-”Hello? Black residence.” I spoke into the telephone.

-”Oh hey Vie! Um….could you get Jacob? We have some business to go over at Sam’s.” I heard Embry’s voice say through the other line.

-”Oh, sure! Jacob!” I called to him, moving the phone as to not shout in poor Embry’s ear.

-”Huh?” asked Jake as he came downstairs.

-”Oh, here it’s for you. Embry. You have to go to Sam’s.” I told him handing the phone to him.

-”Hey Em.” I frowned, every time they called Embry that it reminded me of Emmett. I sighed and went upstairs to get ready for the day. Before I even opened my door, Billy wheeled out of his.

-”Hey Vie, I’m going to Emily’s too. Want to come?” he asked.

-”Oh, no it’s ok... Um… I don’t think it’s fair that Jake’s grounded and I’m not. It was my fault to Billy.” I told him.

-”Oh, I know. I was just messing with the kid. Neither of you are in trouble.” I sighed out in relief. “So, coming or not?” I thought about it. I kind of wanted to practice again. I had to come up with a quick excuse. “It’s a good day for a walk too you know, the sun’s actually out again. For how long, I don’t know, but…” he chuckled out. I smiled.

-”Actually Billy, Bella’s graduation party is tomorrow, and….I haven’t gotten her a gift. Is it okay if I go out and buy her a last minute gift?” I asked him. He thought about it.

-”Out? Well, didn’t you just go to Port Angeles?” he asked, skeptical.

-”Yea, but I completely forgot. I was just too focused on finding something to wear. Then the rain came down hard and all…..”

-”Well…….ask Jacob. You know how that boy gets when he doesn’t know where you are.” I nodded. Boy do I. I don’t want to repeat yesterday’s fiasco.

-”Ok, I will. Thank you.” he nodded. As I walked back downstairs/ramp, Billy at front, I saw Jacob at the foot of the ramp.

-”So you guy’s ready?” he asked.

-”Actually, Violet has something to ask you son. Go on. He’s not as stubborn as he looks.”

-”Can I go to the store again? I kind of forgot to get Bella a gift.” I told him

-”Oh don’t worry about it, I got that covered come on.” he said smiling at me, taking his dad’s chair out of my hands and down the ramp. Damn.

-”Yea, but…I wanted to get her something. From me, not you.” I pouted. He usually caved.

-”Vie…I don’t know…” Damn again!

-”Please! Just…I won’t take too long! I promise! Then I’ll come straight home, take a shower and off to Emily’s! Yea?” I was trying my hardest to seem cute, and it looked like it was working.

-”Jacob, don’t be so overbearing! Let her go!” I looked at Billy smiling, as he winked at me.

-”Dad! Why do you take her side for everything huh?”

-”Well cause the kids got a smart head on her shoulder’s I’m sure she knows what she’s doing.” I was almost certain that, that had a double meaning.

-”Yea, but she’s my imprint I have to watch out for her!” the two just rambled on, arguing with one another as I tried to get their attention,. All attempts in which were failed, by the way. I sighed and just got the keys.

-”Jake!” I shouted, he looked at me, then to the keys. “Don’t worry okay? I know you just want to protect me, but….don’t keep me caged up either ok?” He ’d just stare at me with this intense gaze. He sighed.

-”I’ll just…wait outside.” Billy wheeled himself out on the front porch. Jacob came and held me.

-”It’s just that……I have a bad feeling today. Like something’s going to happen. I need to know that you’ll be safe.” His dream, so that’s what this was about.

-”Jake? What if I promised you, guaranteed you…that I can take care of myself. I’m not stupid. I’ll be okay.” I told him pulling away to look up into his eyes.

-”How can you guarantee that?” he asked in a whisper that I barely heard. I knew the truths would be known soon so I’d just, have him wait a little bit more.

-”There are a lot of things you don’t know about me Jake.” he looked at me strangely, his eyebrow slowly rose up.

-”What does that mean?” he asked skeptical and suspicious.

-”It means…just trust me for now. I know what I’m doing.” ‘I think.’ I thought as I hugged him again. I let go, and was about to get to the door when he pulled me back. He kissed me and still held onto my arm.

-”I…do trust you. Just, what do you mean? Are you keeping stuff from me?” he sounded hurt now. Man, I wasn’t helping myself at all here.

-”Y..yes…., but…it’s for the best. You’ll find out later kay?” I wish he didn’t have to, but still. I’m sure he’d see when I could suddenly run faster than I should or even pick up a tree or something! He still looked at me funny, his grip on my arm tightened, just slightly enough to keep me in place.

-”Why? I don’t…understand.” his voice was hurt, untrusting, and sad. It broke my heart.

-”Jake...the guys.…remember?” he still didn’t budge. “Please. Trust me.” I kissed him and he let go. Kissing me harder than I kissed him. I pulled away. I waited, making sure he wasn’t upset then walked back a little. He’d just stare at me still. I turned and heard him sigh. I closed the door.

-”So, he let you?” asked Billy. I nodded. “*sigh* I trust you kid. More than I should even. Now go on. Don’t take too long, or the boys are going to have a hard time controlling him.” he warned. I stared at him. What does he mean he trusts me more than he should? I didn’t understand. I looked into his eyes. I wonder……No…I’m loosing it. I jogged over to the car and got in. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw Jacob. He was looking at the car. He looked mad at first, then smiled and mouthed ‘I love you’. I honked and I think he got it cause he laughed. I smiled and drove off to the same spot as always.

*Jacob’s POV*

I pushed my dad over to Sam’s. The both of us quiet. He kept on insisting that we walk. I bet he planned this with Vie. He’s always taking her side and trying to help her. I had to know why. I figured he just liked her cause she was my imprint. Eventually I would ask her to be mine, so yea. Maybe…

-”Dad?” I called.

-”Hmm….”

-”Why do you…..” I had trouble finding the right word. “trust…Violet so much?” I asked.

-”I don’t know…just do.” I sighed at his answer. “Why…don’t you trust her?”

-”I do…it’s just-I mean I love her so of course I trust her. I just don’t like her alone so much. I feel like she’s hiding something from me. Inside the house earlier…she even said so…I just don’t know.” I told him irritated.

-”Son? Tell me. When you didn’t tell her about you being a werewolf was it because you didn’t trust her…or because you didn’t think she was ready?” I didn’t answer for a while, too busy thinking. “Son?”

-”I trust her….I just didn’t think she was ready.” I said honestly.

-”Maybe…she’s trying to look out for you. Maybe she thinks you can’t handle it.” I scoffed.

-”Dad….what could she possibly hide? It’s just…I feel like maybe…she’s cheating on me or something.” he laughed at that and I growled. “It’s not funny.”

-”I know I know I know. It’s just that that’s impossible. I’ve seen the way you two look at each other. It gives Sam and Emily a run for their money. Dang, I’m scared I might come home one day and the two of you tell me I’m going to be a grandpa.” he laughed. I did too. “See? Ridiculous isn’t it?” I just chuckled.

-”Thanks dad.”

-”Anytime son.”

*Billy’s POV*(Very ‘Important People!)

I ran all those question Jacob asked me in my head. I did trust that girl. I just knew she had a good heart. I felt like I had seen her before. In fact, I was sure I knew just where I had seen her. Actually not where, but when. It was around the time when I was about Jacob’s age and my grandfather had been the alpha of the pack. The first treaty made with the cold ones.

I remember my grandfather telling me stories about a cold one that was…different. She didn’t smell as bad. That he had an uncanny curiosity towards her. All of them did. He’d say how the other cold ones were wary when she was near. Not because she was a threat, but because they were afraid of threats to her. I remember seeing her once on accident. It was so strange.

~~~~~flashback~~~~~(still Billy’s POV, just when he was a kid)

My grandfather had told me to go with him. He was taking me to the river, a secret place he said was beautiful and tranquil. He said he brought my father here and his father had brought him there too. I was so anxious to see it for myself. I held on tightly to my grandfathers fur. Never once letting go of the dark brown fur, to afraid to fall and break my arm or leg. He stopped suddenly though. Then he growled and bent down. I guess he wanted me to get off. I did. He got in front of me though, growling at something in the denser part of the forest. He would use his tail to push me closer to a tree. I could slightly hear running water. A river? A waterfall? I wasn’t sure. Then I heard a voice, and my grandfather Ephraim’s growl grew louder.

-”It’s ok. I won’t hurt him, remember?” I kept trying to peak, but never could. “He’s adorable. Is he yours?” I heard my grandfather calm down somewhat, then shake his head no. I could tell he was still tense. “It’s okay. I’m not going to do anything. I would have tried to already if I was, no?” my grandfather thought about it. This woman’s angelic voice made me want to see her for myself. “I felt him change and then I could see. In front of us there was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. It wasn’t a woman. She burly looked older than me. I was twelve and she looked fifteen or sixteen. She smiled at me and I blushed. Wow, was she gorgeous. “Thank you.” she said to me.

-”For what?” asked my grandfather.

-”Oh, no…your…grandson is it? I was simply thanking him for the compliment.” huh? Had she read my mind.

-”What compliment?” she giggled and I nearly melted.

-”Never mind. You have such gorgeous land.” she twirled around merrily. “It’s beautiful.”

-”Your different from your other….friends.” my grandfather spoke, making her stop.

-”Really? How so?”

-”Your scent, it changed when I met you.”

-”Hm….yea….I’m different, but then again me and my family aren’t normal vampires now are we?” I heard the girl say, she had a light giggle to her voice.

-”Well….what do you want? You need to leave. Now.” I could hear the authority in my grandfather’s voice.

-”Oh, right. Please forgive me. This little creak…it just called to me….so beautiful. That and…I won’t lie…your kind seem interesting to me.” she smiled at my grandfather.

-”We aren’t pets to pet and look over all you want.” my grandfather scared me, his voice was sharp and menacing.

-”Oh I know! If anything I respect you and your pack……your lucky, though. You at least get to fool the humans a lot easily than we do…..and you don’t have the urge to kill innocent.” my grandfather tensed at that, so did I. “Oh excuse me! I didn’t mean humans, I’m a vegetarian too….no human blood. It’s just…the poor animals….*sigh*”

-”Grandpa?” I nudged my grandfather and he looked down at me. “She seems nice. Can‘t she stay?” I told him. The girl smiled at me.

-”She has to go.” he told me, sternly.

-”But….”

-”Your grandfather’s right….but thank you for the kind comments on your part little one.” she smiled kindly at me. “Thank you for allowing me the privilege to look about your lands and speak to you and your grandson.” she bowed and ran away, the wind whipping about as she instantly disappeared. My grandfather instantly lead me back to tell the others about the even stranger, strange vampire.

My grandfather and the others would talk about her….Harry, Joshua, Quil, and I all listened in on the adults, our fathers included in the meeting as well as we tried to hear what our grandfathers spoke of. My grandfather was the only one to mainly speak. HE talked about how strange she was. She seemed pretty nice to me, I didn’t understand. Grandpa Ephraim told the others about how she seemed…kind. Mr. Levi Ulley didn’t think that was possible. They didn’t trust any of the Cullens.

-”But…the strangest part was….even on the first time we encountered….I had the sense to get to know her….to understand her, help her…it was like her scent drew me in…” all the others were quiet now.

-”I did too.”

-”Yea”

-”Me too…” everyone said that they agreed with my father. Why was it that they were attracted to her? Did that mean they all like her? Or did it mean that mean something else?

~~~~~~~~~~~~END OF FLASH BACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wasn’t sure if that was her, but if you think about it. It is, or could be. The only difference was the clothing style and hair length. It was longer now, but then again could vampires let their hair grow? I doubt it, for that they would require some kind of human qualities. Although that girl from my grandfather’s time was different, and I just knew somehow she had something to do with Violet. Violet Masson. Violet Cullen. Hm…..I’ve been keeping this all to myself since the beginning, but I wasn’t sure if I was doing a right or wrong here. There was nothing else left to do besides wait and see the out come of things.

*Vie’s POV* ~~~Somewhere in the forest~~~~~

I had been running nonstop about in the woods. Nor Jacob’s nor any other pack member’s scent had passed by my keen sense of smell, so I knew I was safe. I was near the creak, the same creak I had met the leader of the pack long ago. Jacob’s great grandfather, and Billy Black’s grandfather. I smiled remembering him as a child, but frowned remembering he could walk back then. I knew how and the reason for his being disabled. An accident, a natural accident. *sigh* I bet Jacob misses his mother. I know I miss my mother, but then again…. What was so wrong about being alive now with the man I was so in love with?

I stayed, studying the creak again. Jumping from side to side then following the river that connected the two. I had always tried to sneak back to the wolves lands to get a look at the beautiful creak. The river that led to it went into Cullen territory too. I would follow the river until it led to the creak where I’d spend a few minutes there and leave. I never got to stay for too long because the wolves would catch my scent, especially my scent. I never got to the end of the river and to the creek when I first tried my practice sessions that time J was mad at Jacob for being to close to Bella. I now of course realize that was very idiotic of me though. The river was getting narrower and narrower…oh no.

The river almost disappeared once inside Cullen territory, and the river wasn’t far from vanishing. It was too thin and I could see where it ended. I had gone to far and passed the boundary lines between Quillute land and that of ours. I quickly turned to run the other direction. I didn’t even get two miles away from my spot when I saw something jump high over me. I could see the little sun that shinned through the trees land on the figure before me. The millions of rainbows shinning off their skin like diamonds. The bronze/golden hair a dead give away. He slowly turned around, revealing his face.

-”Edward.” I gulped. He looked torn, sad, depressed, above all he looked stressed. He stepped closer to me, taking a single step before he was instantly in front of me in a flash. The disappointment in his eyes made me look away. “Hello Edward.” I said, still refusing to see into his eyes.

-”I finally got to you.” he lifted my chin. I was somewhat scared of what he would do or say. Yet, the most shocking thing had occurred, he hugged me. “I was so worried.” he held me tightly. “Did those mutts hurt you?” I flinched at the word mutts.

-”They didn’t hurt me.” I barely whispered out. ‘They’d never hurt me.’ I thought, but blocked my mind from him. The last thing he needed to see is my personal façade of a life with the wolves. Especially with Jacob. “Edward…I…I have…have…to…to g..go.” I stuttered out.

-”Yea, you do. Let’s go.” his face was suddenly stern as he held my upper arm tightly and led me the way to the mansion. I tugged for sometime and he looked at me, the look he gave made me stop and continue. It sent chills down my spine. He noticed something, and tried to talk, I could read his thoughts though. He was wondering about not only my scent, but my strength and the blood that was still coursing through my veins. “Your….human…and vampire?” he asked. I nodded and he smiled. I read his thoughts, knowing he was proud of me.

The house was in plain view now, the air grew tense. Out came Alice, eager and excited, with Jasper behind her containing all that excitement. They both smiled at me, Alice ready to come and hug me, but Edward stopped her with his hand, signaling to stay put. Next came Rosalie and Emmett, followed by Esme and Carlisle. I looked away from all those eyes. I couldn’t help it. We entered the house, all quietly. Edward sat me down on the white colored sofa. I began to feel so many emotions at once, most not mine. I was overwhelmed by them all. Happiness, anger, betrayal, disappointment, sorrow, and confusion for some reason. The confusion came from them all, except Edward. I tapped into their thoughts and guessed that it was because they too wondered about my human and vampire side being used at once.

-”Oh darling! I’m so glad to see you!” Esme immediately hugged me. Carlisle patted my back while she did. She let go and my head went down again.

-”Oh Dolly!” I would have made a face at Rosalie for calling me that, but I didn’t want to ruin the moment as she hugged me. If she could she’d probably crying right now, instead dry sobs escaped her throat while Emmett tried his best to comfort her and greet me.

-”Hey baby girl.” he hugged me, I smiled. I missed my Teddy Bear a lot while gone for some reason. I think it was because Embry’s nickname was Em, just like him.

-”Violet! OH, I’m so glad your back, I knew it’d happen sooner or later! See I told you Edward you should have just trusted me and…” Alice rambled on at Edward after hugging me. I smiled at her. She was only trying to help, but…she might have made things harder for me. I wanted to prolong the truth from Jacob, but now they’d most likely make me tell him sooner. Jasper stopped her from speaking anymore by placing a hand on her shoulder and motioning to me, my sad face most likely a hint that I did not want to be found.

-”Cheer up.” Jasper whispered in my ear as he hugged me, he tried his best to use his ability on me to do so, but I tried my best to prevent him from doing so. I wanted them to see that I no longer wanted to be here. They all waited for me to speak, or say something, but I didn’t.

-”What were you thinking huh?” asked Edward in a monotone voice. I didn’t answer and I think that set him off as I felt anger flood his body. “Wolves! You were with Jacob and those mongrels?!” I flinched, at the harsh tone. “Not only do I find out where my little sister is the hard way, but that she’s in love with a mutt!!!” if he could he’d be red from head to toe.

-”Don’t call them that.” I whispered, knowing damn well that he could hear.

-”Why, huh?! Violette, do they even know what you are, or how about who you are? Your name sure as hell isn’t Violet, or is it now?” I felt a tear slide down my cheek, but I wiped it away angrily. “Or have you forgotten? About who you are? About who brought you here, what you are, everything?” It hurt and angered me when he brought up my mother, because I knew that’s what he meant about who brought me here.

-”Just stop! Please! I ran to get away from all of this! I hate it! Please!” I begged, covering my ears and lowering my head as close as I could to my knees.

-”Oh, Violette we’re so sorr….” Rosalie began, but Edward glared at her, causing her to glare right back.

-”Violette, stop acting like an incompetent child. Your making things more dramatic than they have to be!” Edward shouted at me.

-”Edward? Son, I …” Carlisle began, he felt sympathetic for me, and wanted to make me feel better. Edward wouldn’t have it.

-”No. She needs to learn to finally grow up.” I looked at him. Seeing him so serious scared me. Tremendously. “Why would you make me go through this huh? Make us go through this?” I looked at everyone and they all looked away. My heart clenched and contracted inside my chest. I could feel al their pain. All the pain they had gone through while I was absent.

-”I’m sorry…I…I w.was…I was…honestly. I was trying to grow up….I did, with them Edward.”

-”You mean with Jacob?! He’s not right for you! He only wants to use you to get to Bella! I read his thoughts before!”

-”Stop!” I shouted. Covering my ears and shutting my eyes. “Just…stop….” I’d shake my head repeatedly as I’d whisper those two words over and over again. He had broke through my shell, what little control, I had gone. He could slip through the barrier I put between my whole being and their powers. I felt arms enclose around me. Alice, Esme and Rosalie.

-”Your staying here.” it didn’t matter if I was covering my ears, I had highly trained sense of hearing and I could read his thoughts. I knew what Edward had just said. My face shot up and I somewhat stood up with the girls still holding on to me. More like holding me back.

-”No! No I’m not! You want me to grow up?! Fine! I’m making my own decisions and I’m not staying!” I shouted.

-”Your staying, or I’ll tell them for you.” he said. What enraged me more was that he said it so calmly, so coldly. I shouted out, angry.

-”No!” I ran for the door, but was cut off. I’d ram into his chest, shouting out agitated. I’d hit his chest, trying to cause some damage. Why?! Why was he doing this to me?! I loved him! Both Edward and Jacob! My brother and my lover! Both! Why?! Why why?! SO many thoughts and emotions ran through my mind as I hit repeatedly against his chest. I crumbled to the floor. SO this is what a mental and emotional break down felt like. I felt Emmett pick me. He couldn’t take it, seeing me like this.

I let him hold me for a little bit, shushing me. I got angry, why was it that Edward could bend the rules and love a human, but I couldn’t do the same and love my werewolf. Yes! My werewolf! I felt anger now. Immense anger! Why?! It’s not fair! No one had to know the truth! No one was suppose to know the truth! Why?! I’d make the most of this. I’d have to comfront them, but I needed to get away. Again! I couldn’t take all these emotions.

I pushed against Emmett’s chest and ran. Edward thought he could stop me this time, but failed. He wanted me to grow up? Fine. I’d show him how I’ve grown. I’d show him how I could take care of myself. Edward had read my thoughts and so he was standing in front of me, blocking my other side. I jumped and instead of landing, I teleported near the front door and out. They were all too shocked to react as they watched me run. I finally ran a bit and teleported on werewolf territory. I did it once more and was in my room. I was panting. Hard. I couldn’t breathe and my whole body felt like it was fighting itself. I let my human side take over.

I slumped on my bed for a bit, but got up to get clothes. I set the tub filled with hot water and relaxed for sometime, letting my body feel less sore and getting rid of the scent. I bathed and showered, with tears sliding down my face. How could he? Again too! My own brother? Literally my flesh and blood brother? I’d just shake it off and spend time with Jacob. While I still could, for tomorrow, my cherished life by Jacob’s side would end.