Sequel: Ever After Never Came
Status: Finished!

I've Hoped For Change, It Gets Better Everyday

Don't Listen to the World, They Say We're Never Gonna Make It

I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to tell my friends and family that I was dating my cousin’s ex/baby daddy. So of course, I wanted to put it off as long as possible. Jack and I secretly spent what little free time we had together at home when my parents and Adam were gone. It was difficult to find time between school and work, and the fact that no one was supposed to know about us, but we made it work.

We’d been friends for the longest time, so I thought I knew everything about him. But now that we were dating officially, I found out that I had so much more to learn about Jack. Every day, Jack and I learned something new about each other. He realized that while I was pretty much okay with his sense of humor, once he started getting too perverted he needed to stop. He also realized that I was extremely sensitive and cried easily. In turn, I learned that he was very particular about his things; I wasn’t allowed to mess with anything without asking him first. He was a little anal about it, but I learned to ignore it.

Jack was starting to get really excited about the baby. He even started a list of names he’d want to discuss with Linda. I loved that he wasn’t as scared now, but I had to admit I was somewhat jealous that it wasn’t me, much later in the future, and married to him. But more than anything, I was happy for him.

I hadn’t seen or heard from Linda or her family and it worried me. Jack hadn’t mentioned anything about Linda, so I assumed he hadn’t talked to her much. I’d actually tried to call her, but she’d never pick up. When I tried to call the house, my Aunt Tanya told me to stop calling; it wasn’t my problem, remember? So I finally gave up.

My phone started vibrating on my wooden nightstand. Jack’s name flashed across the screen. I smiled as I answered. “Hey baby, what’s up?” I yawned. My clock said it was seven already.

“Not much, feel like telling the family about us?” Jack asked. “We’ve been together for almost 3 weeks now.”

I sighed as I rolled out of bed. He’d been pushing the subject for a while, not wanting to make his situation any more complicated. “Okay, okay, fine. We’ll tell them today.”

“We have to Abs, if they find out somehow before we tell them; they’ll be even more pissed off,” Jack stated.

“I know, I’m just scared of their reaction,” I whined as I pulled out clothes from my closet.

Jack chuckled. “I know babe, but we have to. Look, why don’t we tell our friends first?”

“That sounds easier,” I agreed. “Let’s do that.”

“Okay. I’ll pick you up in 45 minutes.”

“Okay, bye.” I hung up and started getting ready for school. I was out and waiting for Jack on the front porch earlier that I’d expected, but I wasn’t alone. Adam had decided to join me.

“So, what’s going on between you and Jack?” Adam asked, picking at the grass.

“We’re going out,” I answered honestly. “But no one knows yet, we’re gonna tell our friends first today at school and we’re gonna tell the family soon.”

Adam nodded slowly. “I don’t like it,” he stated bluntly. “He’s got a kid on the way, with our cousin.”

“I know, but I can’t help it. I care about him a lot,” I emphasized. “And he cares about me.”

“He didn’t want you before,” Adam snapped at me. “What did you do, offer him sex?”

I glared at him. “You’ve got to be kidding me. I can’t believe you’d even think that.”

“Well, what am I supposed to think? He just suddenly loves you now, right?”

I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. I had my doubts, but I didn’t want to believe that Jack only wanted me for sex. Seeing as he hadn’t bothered to pressure me about it, I felt like we were okay. But Adam’s little attitude was making me wonder. “He hasn’t made that kind of move at all. It’s not just about sex.”

“Keep telling yourself that.”

“You know what? I told you because I figured that you, of all people, would understand. Thanks, you’re a great brother,” I retorted.

Jack’s car pulled up to the curb and I ran towards it before Adam could say anymore. I smiled gently at him as I got in.

“What’s wrong babe?” He asked full of concern.

“Nothing, I’m fine,” I answered.

“Abby, I can read you like a book. What’s going on?”

“Adam. I told him that we were dating. He doesn’t like it, not at all.” I looked out the window as we passed the town on our way to school. “How do you think the guys will take it?”

“I don’t think Zack will be happy, Rian might not either. Alex might be okay. I’m more worried about the girls,” Jack replied honestly.

“Me too.”

“Well, here we go.” Jack turned off the engine and looked over at me.

“Yeah, here we go.” I grabbed my bags and took a deep breath. I stepped out and waited for Jack at the edge of the sidewalk. He grabbed my hand and gave it a gentle, reassuring, squeeze. I squeezed back and started walking across the parking lot. I felt a few people stare at us, but I wasn’t worried about them; I was worried about what my friends would think.

We walked into the building, hand in hand, and stopped next to our group of friends. They turned to greet us, but then their eyes zeroed in to our intertwined hands. Alex was the first to stop staring.

“About goddamned time, shit,” Alex clapped a hand on Jack’s shoulder.

Jack smiled and muttered thanks. As predicted, Zack did not seem happy. He stared at our hands with disappointment. Rian didn’t seem as upset, but not completely happy either. He simply smiled at us a little and then turned to look at Kara. She looked skeptical, but smiled when she realized I was looking at her. I smiled back and looked at Jack.

“So we’re dating. Uh, we have been for about three weeks now,” I looked at all of them expectantly.

“Wow,” Kara breathed. “Well, that’s great then. Does Lisa know yet?”

I shook my head. “We’ll tell her soon, though.”

“You’re dating him? After all he’s done to you, you’re with him?” Zack asked incredulously.

I frowned. “Zack, we care about each other a lot.” I looked at the entire circle. “And I hope that you guys can at least be happy for us.”

Rian smiled tightly. “We’re happy as long as you’re happy, Abby. Jack’s done some pretty shitty things to you, but if he’s making you happy, then okay, I can respect that.”

Jack smiled at Rian, grateful for his answer. “Thanks, Rian,” I told him.

“I’m fine with it,” Alex commented. “I’m great, actually.”

“I don’t like it, but it’s your life I guess.” Zack shook his head.

“Like Rian said, if you’re happy, we’re happy,” Kara ignored Zack’s comment.

“Thanks guys,” Jack said. He took a deep breath. “But that’s not the only thing I have to say. Uh, I’m gonna be a dad.”

All eyes fell on my stomach. “Not me you guys, geez.” I wrapped my arms around my stomach. Sighs of relief echoed around me. “It’s Linda; she’s pregnant.”

“Figures,” Alex muttered. “Well, that’s kind of scary.”

“I know, but I’m kind of excited too. It’s my baby,” Jack shrugged. “I want to meet it.”

“What about the band? What if we go on tour?” Rian asked.

“I’m not sure yet,” Jack answered.

“Well shit,” Zack mumbled.

“But we’re all cool, right?” I interrupted. Everyone nodded, even Zack. “Good. Now, I have to go to class. Come on Kara.” I pecked Jack’s lips quickly and grabbed Kara’s hand as we walked down the hallway.

“Okay, give it to me straight. What do you really think?” I prodded.

Kara smiled. “You know me well. Honestly, I’m a little worried. I mean, it’s great that you’re happy, but I’m worried about the drama you’re going to get into with him and Linda. A baby is a huge thing, Abby.”

“I know, but I think we can handle it.” I walked to our classroom and sat down. “I really care about him.”

“I know you do, but I just need you to know what you’re getting into,” Kara said. “I don’t want you hurt.”

“Thanks, Kara. I appreciate that you care about me so much, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take.”

“Alright then, I’m behind you one-hundred percent,” Kara nodded to emphasis her point.

“That’s why you’re one of the best, Kara.”

“I am the best, hell yeah.”

I laughed as the teacher started the lesson.

~*~*~*~

The rest of the school day flew by, but not without the attention of the entire school. Everywhere Jack and I went, people stared. The funny thing was that I really didn’t care. I was happy. I had Jack with me and that’s all that mattered to me. The stares and whispers would’ve bothered me before, but not now. I did run into Jordan and Serena, who had to take a double take to make sure that they weren’t just seeing things.

“What the hell?” Jordan asked dumbfounded. “You’re together?”

Jack smiled at me. “Yeah, we are. She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” I blushed and smiled back at him.

“Right,” Jordan scoffed. “She’s not that great in bed, if you must know.”

I blushed; embarrassed that Jordan would bring this up. “Shut up, Jordan.”

Jack glared at him. “Well, I really don’t think that you have the right to say anything about my girlfriend.” He took a step toward Jordan, who did the same. I gripped Jack’s hand tighter and pulled on it slightly.

“He’s not worth it, please just let it go,” I whispered. “Jack, please.”

Jack nodded slightly, not taking his eyes off my ex. “Just leave us alone,” he told him. Serena hadn’t spoken a single word, surprisingly, but I could see her trying to do the same thing I was.

“Whatever,” Jordan said; blowing Jack’s warning off and shoving past him, Serena in tow. He stopped a few yards away in the crowded hallway. “By the way Barakat, I’ll give her one thing. She’s tight as hell.” Jordan smirked.

Jack nearly took off after him, but I was still holding him back. Everyone’s eyes were on us, I could feel them waiting for a fight. “Jack, let’s go,” I suggested. Jack took one look at me and one more at Jordan before he finally listened to me and walked me to the car.

“You okay?” he asked once we were in.

“I’m fine, just embarrassed. I would give anything to go back in time and never date him,” I lamented.

“So what happened? With Jordan, I mean. I never knew the whole story. What else should I expect?”

“Uh, well there are still probably a few pictures floating around of me naked,” I replied. “I didn’t know he was taking pictures while we were, well you know.”

“Oh, Abby,” Jack sighed. “I wish I could kill him.”

“I’d rather you didn’t. I’d hate to have to write to you in prison and make monthly conjugal visits,” I teased. I’d hoped it’d lighten the mood. “Listen, Jack, I don’t care what Jordan has to say. I’ve lived like this, maybe worse, for three years. I’ll never live it down. Sure it’s embarrassing that he tells you this stuff, because you’re my boyfriend; but other than that, I really couldn’t care less.”

“Yeah, but I care,” Jack argued. “You’re my girlfriend and I don’t like that he says such ugly things about you. It’s degrading, and you shouldn’t have to go through that.”

“Thanks, Jack. But seriously, I don’t want it to bother you so much. Just let it go, okay?” I held his hand as he drove toward the diner.

“Fine, I’ll try to ignore him. What time to you get off today?” Jack changed the subject.

“At nine, one of the girls had to leave early, so I have to cover her shift,” I replied.

“Okay, I’ll be here a little early to pick you up. I’m going to go visit Linda,” Jack said. “She hasn’t talked to me in a while.”

“Alright,” I nodded. “Should we tell our families tonight?”

“I’d like to.”

“Okay, ask your parents to come over after my shift then.”

“I’ll just bring them when I pick you up.”

“Okay.” Jack pulled into the parking lot. “I’ll see you.” I kissed him before jumping out and running to the door. He waved as he drove off. I hoped he and Linda would be okay.

~*~*~*~

I was so tired after work that it wasn’t even funny. Jack and his parents picked me up from the diner at exactly nine o’clock.

“Hi Mr. and Mrs. Barakat,” I greeted as I slid into the car. I suppressed the urge to kiss Jack.

“Oh dear, you know I told you to call me Joyce,” Joyce smiled.

“Right, sorry Joyce,” I corrected myself.

We made very little conversation before we reached my house. I had texted my parents while I was at work to let them know we would have company. My mom, as expected, had something to snack on. I excused myself to take a quick shower, while Joyce and my mom bustled around the kitchen. The boys were in the living room talking about football and arguing over the MVP. By the time I came downstairs I had a bazillion butterflies in my stomach. Jack saw me first and I nodded to him. This was it.

“Hey guys,” I called as Jack stood up and joined me next to the doorway. “Obviously, we didn’t get you guys together just to hang out,” I started. “Jack and I have something to tell you.” My parents looked extremely worried, as did Jack’s parents. Adam looked bored, knowing what this was about anyway.

“Oh god Jack, you didn’t get her pregnant too, did you?” Joyce asked indignantly. The other adults’ eyes went wide and I could tell my dad was about to freak out.

“No, no!” Jack waved his hands. “No we’re not sleeping together.”

Everyone visibly relaxed. “Then what is this about?” my mom asked.

“Well, Jack and I are seeing each other. We’re dating. He is my boyfriend; I am his girlfriend. We’ve been together for about 3 weeks now,” I explained. I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I was holding. It felt good to tell the truth.

“You two are dating?” My mother asked incredulously. “You’re kidding, right?”

I shook my head. “No, we’re actually together. We care about each other mom.”

“He got your cousin pregnant,” My mom stated. “You can’t be together. That’s wrong.”

“Mrs. Stone, I really care about your daughter. Linda and I just weren’t made for each other. Abby and I, we are. I know it’s going to be hard with a kid, but I really feel like we can make this work,” Jack spoke up finally.

“But this is too soon, Jack,” Joyce interrupted. “You have a child on the way; it’s not easy to be a parent, especially if you’re unmarried like you and Linda. You’ll have to help her out more than you are now. Your attention should be on her, not finding a new girlfriend.”

That was a slap in the face, I’ll admit it. I felt like Joyce didn’t like me very much at the moment. She probably considered me the ‘other woman’. And I couldn’t blame her; my family was probably thinking the same thing.

“You said there was nothing romantic between you and any of the boys. How could you even do this to your cousin?” Mom was outraged.

“I’m not doing anything to her,” I defended myself. “I’m not trying to hurt her.”

“But it will hurt her. Are you willing to do that to your family?” My dad spoke up. He had yet to speak up.

“Dad, I care about Jack a lot. I’m sorry, I love Linda, but I want a relationship with Jack,” I stated. “Linda’s going to have to get used to it.”

“That is not the right type of attitude Abigail Dawn,” mom reprimanded. “I can’t believe you.”

I sighed. “I’m not going to ruin my happiness just to appease Linda.”

Joyce was looking everywhere but at me. “Joyce, what do you think?” I asked her straight up.

She raised her head to gaze at us. “Honey, I don’t think this is a good idea,” Joyce said, shaking her head. I bit my lip. That wasn’t good.

“Mr. Barakat?” I moved on.

Bassam shook his head. “I agree with Joyce. Jack you shouldn’t be with someone else so soon after a break up with a girl who’s carrying your child. She’s her family for god’s sake.”

Well this was disappointing. “Dad? Mom?”

“No, this isn’t going to work,” Dad said. I felt my jaw drop open.

“It’s not. We do not approve and I don’t think that Jack will be welcome here anymore, and you shouldn’t see him at all. I’m sorry Joyce and Bassam. We don’t mean anything against your family, but we can’t have this,” Mom told the Barakat’s.

“What are you kidding me? Jack is allowed over anytime he wants. You can’t – you can’t,” I searched my head for the word. “You can’t forbid me from seeing him, I’m eighteen.”

“You’re right, we can’t,” Dad said. “But we don’t want him here. If you want to go ahead and ignore what we say, then do it, but know that we don’t approve and that you can’t be here together at the house.”

“It’s fine, we understand,” Bassam spoke. “Jack won’t force his company here, right son?”

“No, I won’t. If you don’t want me here, then I won’t be here. But Abby and I are in a relationship and I hope you’ll respect that and let us see each other outside of the house,” Jack said.

“We understand that. Let’s lay down some ground rules. You can’t be alone together; we don’t want another Linda situation. Also, your grades had better not go down because you’re spending more time with each other than doing homework,” Dad stated. “Anything you two would like to add?” He looked over at Jack’s parents.

“We just want you to be sure that you understand what you’re both getting into,” Joyce explained.

“We understand,” Jack and I spoke in unison. We smiled at each other.

“Fine then,” Joyce nodded her head.

“It’s late, we need to go to sleep,” Mom said. Everyone was rounded up and said goodbye. I had a feeling of déjà vu. It was a repeat of the incident from three weeks ago. I waved goodbye to Jack as he and his family left.

“This is a bad idea,” my dad muttered as he went up the stairs.

“No kidding,” my mom replied as she followed him.

Adam was still sitting in the living room, but the TV was on now. He watched me walk in as I plopped down next to him.

“Well, that didn’t go like I wanted,” I sighed.

“What did you really expect?” Adam grumbled. “It’s not like anyone’s actually happy about this.”

“Right,” I said as I stood up. “Goodnight.”

I went to my room and pulled out my phone to call Jack. He answered on the fifth ring.

“Hey babe, sorry I just grabbed my phone. What’s up?”

“Nothing, I’m just disappointed. I guess I’d hoped that they’d approve of us.”

“Well, we never thought it was going to be easy. At least we told them, you know?”

“Yeah I know. But if they took it badly, imagine my aunt. She’s going to flip. And what about Linda, how am I going to tell her?” I started panicking.

“Babe, breathe. Stop freaking out. I couldn’t care less about what Linda thinks. The only reason I have to deal with her is because she’s carrying my baby. Other than that, it doesn’t matter.” Jack reassured me.

“Fine then, you tell her. I don’t even want to see her.”

“Okay, I’ll tell her tomorrow while you’re at work.”

“Oh yeah, I’d forgotten that you went to see her. What happened?”

“She threw a fit and started telling me that it’s my fault she’s not fitting into her clothes so well anymore. I said sorry, and she threw her water bottle at me, then she started crying and apologizing. She’s okay, though. I had to spend some time hugging her,” Jack paused. “That’s okay, right? Or should I not do that?”

“It’s fine so long as it doesn’t go farther,” I warned. “You were in an intimate relationship, and that could tempt you both.”

“Not happening. Anyway, I think she has a doctor’s appointment on the twentieth.”

“Oh, are you going to go with her?” I asked. “You should, you can see the ultrasound of the baby.”

“I asked her if she wanted me to go and she said no. Plus it’s during school hours, which I’d love to skip anyway, but she doesn’t want me to go.” Jack sighed.

“Linda’s stubborn. I’m sure she’ll come around. You can ask her about it again tomorrow,” I said. “Before you tell her about us,” I added.

“Sounds good. I’ll see you later. Goodnight.”

“Night,” I hung up the phone and started my nightly ritual of washing my face, taking off my contacts, changing into my pajamas, and finally getting to bed. I really hoped Linda wouldn’t fly off the deep end.
♠ ♠ ♠
So you guys are just amazing. Those who commented on here and on my profile page, you are very, very loved. So in honor of your loverliness, I decided to post before Friday.

Also, I now have a Twitter. Can't say I'm that interesting, but I will tweet when I update. So if you'd like, follow me @jeccathegreat.

Peace and Love!

xoxo, Jecca