Status: It's supposed to be updated daily. But I will update it as soon as possible depends on my busy college life :D

No Strings Attached, Please?

SIX

My eyes were sore when I slowly opened them. The sun rays snuck through the closed violet curtain, lighting part of Kat’s room. Kat was breathing rhythmically next to me in her pajamas. She gladly shared her bed with me for the night after we talked last night for almost three hours.

We talked about everything we liked. From my relationship history with Dante, to how I stole Carlton’s virginity, Nat’s gruesome obsession towards Lynn, Carlton and Nat’s childhood memories etc.

And before I went to bed with Kat, I had a quiet night, I mean it was lovely to have Dante there. Me and Dante held some interesting conversation in the backyard near the swimming pool. We shared some good memories but we accidentally brought up our former relationship. My heart was pounding so hard at the time, when he slipped something about our young love.

We fell into an awkward silence and then decided not to discuss it. By the way he explained it, I could tell he didn’t want to have anything with me. He just wanted us to be good friends. It caused a pang of hurt in my heart when he practically confessed it, while I was highly hoping we could make it out and give us a second chance.

I yawned widely when I sat up in bed, stretching my back until I heard a crack come from my backbone. I groaned and then jumped off the bed, leaving Kat who was still fast asleep. My feet paced towards the bathroom as I quickly as I could. I rinsed my face with some facial foam and then brushed my teeth.

When I was done, I stripped down the sleeping attire that I borrowed from Kat and replaced it with Kat’s clothes that she lent me since my original clothes were ripped apart and not decent anymore. I didn’t know how Nat and Carlton brought me home as I was naked yesterday. I blushed for a moment, realizing that Carlton and Nat must have seen me without any clothes that time.

Now that I was clothed, I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and winced when I felt the wounds on my arms. They were still in pain because of the handcuff. Kat got me a bandage to wrap the wounds on both arms, but it made me look like a fighter in kickboxing.

When I was done, I walked out from the bathroom and the bedroom. I paced downstairs to find Carlton was yawning widely while making some baked red beans and baked sausages. It smelled really good as I inhaled through my nostrils. Carlton greeted me with a good morning while I saw his bruised face. He told me that he was making breakfast for him and for me only. I chuckled and just nodded at him. I actually wasn’t too hungry. As I glanced back at the McGregor’s backyard, I found Kale sitting on the lounge near the swimming pool.

I decided to walk outside and approach him. He was smoking something between his fingers. Kale wasn’t alone because somebody was keeping him company. Nat was sitting next to him as he let out wild smoke from his nostrils. Finally, Kale noticed me. He only waved lousily at me and I noticed that his eyes were red, he was smiling.

Well, way to start the day with smoking marijuana already, Kale Potter.

Nat, who spotted my approach, didn’t give a damn about my presence. He didn’t let his stone, bruised face or tousled hair-head, meet me. He was silent while Kale began to try to encourage me to take a drag of some of the pot in his hand.

“It’s still 7 in the morning, Kale. You and your pot” I rolled my eyes while I hugged my body to extrude the cold wind from my body. It was still cold and I didn’t wear a sweater outside. On the other hand, Kale wore his varsity jacket and Nat wore his hoodie.

“Well what can I say? At least I’m being happy with this stuff,” he said examining the stick and playing with it on his hand before taking another desperate drag of his marijuana stick.

“Anyway, I’m just gonna go straight home” I informed them “Uhm… thanks Nat for.. for letting me stay” I awkwardly said to him as I watched his ignorant face. He only shrugged and whoa, it was magic because he didn’t let out any harsh comments. He only shrugged, that’s a progression, I guess.

“Well Nat is gonna give you a ride home, babe” Kale spoke as he nudged Nat with his elbow. Nat’s face in instant flashed into an annoyed yet shocked look.

“I’m no—OUW! Kale, what the fuck!“ Nat tried but his foot was stomped by Kale’s Vans clad feet.

“I don’t need it, but thanks. I could walk by myself or maybe with….Dante” My voice went quiet when I said Dante’s name.

“Dante went home at dawn because he needs to babysit his little sister,” Kale stated and wiggled his brows drunkenly.

“So, I think I’m okay by myself” I told him.

“Nat will give you a safe ride home” Kale insisted and shot a dangerous look at Nat. I was standing there watching them. Nat and Kale shot glares at each other. They even let out low growls. Both of them looked like they were sending messages with stares. I sighed and shook my head.

And unexpectedly, Nat groaned and got off his seat.

“Alright! Just let me get my keys” he muttered and walked passed me. I only watched his back with a confused look.

“What have you shoved into him? Since last night he always listened to your oh-so-called orders” I giggled.

Kale smirked, “Well, just get home already and follow Nat, milady” he giggled drunkenly before taking a deep drag. He shoo-ed me with his tattooed hand as I stuck my tongue out at him. My feet then got back into the kitchen and spotted Carlton fighting with Kat.

They both argued about my breakfast. Carlton said something about it being my breakfast not Kat’s but Kat was jealous and wanted him to make her some. Then I just told him that I wasn’t hungry and I planned to get home earlier. Carlton insisted I have breakfast first but I politely refused. As I came to him and enveloped him in hug, I told them my goodbyes and hoped that we could hang together again with Kat.

Carlton didn’t even question why Nat gave me a ride home. It was like he knew something. I could sniff some plans here about me and Nat. But I was determined to not give a damn about it. I brought my feet to shuffle out of the house to find Nat was already inside his Audi. His face was straight and he looked like he was clenching his teeth, looking disappointed that he was forced to it.

I inhaled and exhaled when I walked to the passenger door and climbed inside the car. I might have slammed the door a bit hard, making him growl at me for a moment but then let it go. He quickly drove the machine away from the driveway and then we joined some of the cars on the road.

McGregor’s neighborhood was about seven blocks away from my house, but we were still on the same road. Nat didn’t bother to speak to me for the entire ride, he just became himself, being silent. Or I might call him a mute. I dangerously glanced at his face, I knowing that he had a disturbing facial expression.

I sighed and decided to cut off the silence by clearing my throat.

“If you’re that pissed to ride me home, I could just go from here” I told him but Nat didn’t bother to reply to me. He kept silent while I groaned lowly at him.

“Nat seriously,”

“Just shut the fuck up, will ya?” he burst off.

I glared at him for a moment and then examined his fucked up features before I growled, “Pull over” I finally told him after a long pause.

“What?” he snorted and made a face but still drove his goddamn car.

“I said pull the fuck over!”

“No”

“What’s with you, huh?! If you don’t want me, I told you I can walk home by myself!!”

“No!”

“Stop the car, douchebag!”

With that, he sped up the car and growled, as he clenched his teeth and groaned.

“Then I would just jump” I told him holding the door handle.

Nat smirked, “Go on,” he challenged. His voice and his face turned somewhat cynical.

“Try me” I warned him and then directly opened the door and was about to jump out onto the moving road but Nat screamed and hit the brake in instant before pulling my collar back into the seat. He panted; his breath short.

“ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?” he yelled and glared at me. He stretched his body and grabbed my door handle then slammed it close.

“What did I tell you about pulling over!!?” my voice was high.

We both glared at each other, his eyes gloated out like they were going to jump out of his sockets. I couldn’t help but notice he had a pair of beautiful hazel eyes. But that wasn’t the point! I was mad at him. I didn’t get why he was being so difficult. If he didn’t want to give me a ride home, he could have just ditched me on the side of the road. It was just a couple more blocks away anyway.

Nat then stopped and shut his eyes before sighing. “Just let me ride you home in peace, okay?” he grunted. I scoffed while I crossed my hands over my chest. I gritted my teeth in annoyance and decided to listen to him. Nat then slowly drove his Audi onto the road.

We were almost there, we were in my neighborhood already and I could see my green painted house from a distance. My eye spotted a black mustang in the driveway that I was sure was Mike’s. I rolled my eyes silently as Nat stopped his car in front of my lamp post.

I adjusted my clothes and then grabbed the door handle but Nat halted me with his hand.

“What?” I frowned at him. But he still kept his cool. He didn’t say anything, which made me impatient. “Oh right, sorry I forgot. Thank you for the pleasant ride, Nathaniel” I hinted my sarcasm and grabbed the door handle again but Nat pulled my sleeve.

“We aren’t supposed to fight” he started slowly making me sink down on the passenger seat. I decided to listen at him because man, Nat had some weird issues with himself. He’s majorly bipolar. One moment he would throw things at your face his ever-stinging words and in another, he would stay calm and try to be nice to you.

“I never start it,” I stated matter-of-factly.

Nat sighed and played with his fingers on the wheel. He turned his head to me and forced himself to say something.

“I’m just going to make this faster, kay?” he told me. I didn’t catch his drift yet, but he seemed like he was about to tell me something.

“Look, I’m sorry,” he said. This time I didn’t hear any forced apology from him, it sounded so genuine.

“Okay?” I arched one of my eyebrows.

“I’m being serious this time, I’m sorry, Savannah” he repeated with guilt playing across his face. “I’m sorry for being an asshole to you over this year” he swallowed hard as he stared back at me. His eyes became warm and there was no anger inside them like usual.

“I know this is ridiculous. I hated you because I’m disgusted with you and Lynn hates you. I felt it was right to hate someone whom Lynn hates and God… this is embarrassing but I was somewhat jealous because everyone or I might say, you have boys under your spell when I never have any girlfriends in my whole life. It’s stupid, I know” He curled his lips and exhaled deeply.

“Uh.. I think you’re wrong there. Girls tend to like you, because wow you’re so oblivious. You’re like one of the most attractive guys at school” I told him was surprised I just gave him a compliment. Whoa. “You should look at it for yourself”

Nat snorted, “Attractive? You’re kidding. Lynn labels me as a ‘nerd’” he used his fingers to quote the word nerd. “She loves attractive guys and I’m overly sure that I’m not one of them”

“She’s blind, okay?” I scoffed cynically. “Normal girls will find you hot. Those freaky girls at our school always stare at your ass,” I crossed my hands over my chest and then leaned myself upon the door while listening to him.

Nat smirked at me, “You think so? So you’ve been checking me out then?” he chuckled. Wow, it’s really rare to hear him chuckling in my presence. But wait a minute, did he just say I was checking him out?! No.

“No! The girls did” I replied with an annoyed snort. Well maybe sometimes I did it. A bit!

He watched me with his disbelieving eyes and a playful smirked played on his lips. Oh great! Now he thinks I’ve been checking him out.

“And about our argument in your house…” he added. My heart was pounding, I decided not to look at him because it hurt so much when I heard the words about my father.

“I know, I was wrong. I should have thanked that you just tried to be nice and help me with Lynn’s bitchiness” he chuckled a bit “I can’t believe I just called her a bitch” he flashed a smile without buying my uneasy look. But I remained there, listening to him.

“Yeah, you and Carlton are right about it, she shouldn’t act up like that, well at least she respected me” he shrugged while I kept silent and paid attention to what he was talking about. He still rambled about the situation with Lynn while I chewed my cheek hesitantly.

It still hurt a lot. My chest clutched and my breath hitched just as I felt the pain. I clenched my teeth and stopped paying attention to what Nat was saying. What made me wonder was, how did he know about it?

I never, ever in my life told my secret to anyone except Kale and I was sure that Kale was a secret keeper; he wouldn’t tell this to anyone, especially someone like Nat, who hated me. I never even told Dante, so Nat knowing made me curious.

I was hoping he wouldn’t tell anyone about it. I didn’t want to be judged by other people after Nat. What if Geoff knew? It would break me down because it was like my weakness, I couldn’t help it anymore if I was alienated by that kind of thing.

“Are you listening?” Nat nudged me, his eyes were on mine. He was kind of startled to see, maybe it’s because my eyes began watering somehow. Stupid bitch, I would look so weak if I cried. “Savannah? Are you crying?” his voice was worried as his hand gripped my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. I was kind of shocked to hear him; it’s just not every day I could find Nat was worried about me.

“No.. sorry it’s nothing” I quickly wiped my eyes gently to remove the almost-running-down tears. “I’m listening to you, anyway” I briefly smiled at him. But he didn’t look like he believed me.

“Seriously, what is it?”

“Nothing” I eagerly shook my head.

“Savannah, I’m here trying to fix things with you,” he pressed.

I swallowed the lump in my throat while I examined his hazel pools. His face was so pale under the light, like a vampire, but pink was scattered on his cheeks. I thought for a moment if I was doing the right thing or not, if it’d be good if I brought it up. He probably had forgotten about it.

“How do you know about my Dad?” I solemnly asked, quietly.

Nat looked shocked when he heard me. For a long moment, he only observed me intently without saying anything. Somehow, guilt was spread on his face.

“I, uhm.. it’s from…”

“If that’s how you wanted to defeat me, you won. Honestly, when you called me out like that, it was like the most dangerous yet harsh words I’ve ever heard from anyone. It does hurt a lot” I bit down my lip and shut my eyes to concentrate on not crying. “Forget it. I shouldn’t bring that up,” I unlocked the door, opened it before sliding out my legs, and got out from his Audi.

I slammed the door and peeked through the car window to spot his paled expression. “Thanks for the ride, by the way” I added before stomping Kat’s flippers on the concrete road and ventured towards my porch.

“Savannah, wait!” Nat’s voice called me out. I stopped in my tracks, not sure if I should turn my heels or just dramatically run inside my home. I heard the car door being slammed and some baby steps on the lawn. I inhaled and exhaled deeply before slowly turning my heels to look at his bobbing figure coming towards me.

I waited for him. He looked nervous when he gulped; he even licked his lower lip. Nat always licked his lower lip when he was nervous. That was all I could sum up.

“We’re not finished yet,” he explained.

“Well, I guess we are. We were socializing without killing each other. We’re civil now,” I stated while I fidgeted with my hands on my back.

“We’re not. Now it’s about you. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have called you an unpla—“

“NO, stop it” I begged as I winced.

“Okay, I’m sorry. I went over that time because I was so mad and I couldn’t think of other mean words to curse at you. It just flashed across my mind. I’m really, really genuinely sorry about it. Will you accept my apology?” he rubbed his nape and licked his lower lip until it was wet which automatically made me stare at his…………lips. I quickly eyed his lips and put aside my fringe so that it was behind my ear.

“It’s okay. Apology accepted and thank you” my eyes darted to the grass below my feet and we were instantly thrown into an awkward moment.

I heard him sigh and I lifted my head to find he was raking his fingers through his light brown hair. His Adam’s apple moved up and down when he swallowed awkwardly.

“I know about your history from Kale,—“ he told me and I rapidly gloated my eyes as I look at him, making a disappointed yet angry look. “But no, don’t be mad at him. He accidentally told me about you”

“I don’t believe him! He told you about my dark secret!!!” I huffed desperately and made a face. I clenched my fist, making Nat put his hand on my shoulder, giving it another gentle squeeze.

“No, no listen to me,” he ordered me while he lowered his eyes to level mine, “He was drunk. We were at this party, I was…well immaturely complaining about you because you pushed Lynn into a wet dumpster, ruining her new clothes…” he told me before giving me another squeeze. I remembered that time when Lynn tried to scratch me and so I pushed her with all my strength into a wet dumpster. Fortunately there were no students who passed the road, so only her bitches knew about that. The worst thing was, it ruined her new Marc Jacobs’ sunny every day dress.

“And Kale was right beside me when he downed his seventh shot. He told me to lay off you because you didn’t deserve what I cursed you out about. And he slipped, he accidentally told me the story about your dad. And in the morning he didn’t remember anything about what he’d said to me” Nat bit down his lip and clenched his teeth. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you that upset. I was so mad”

“But he should have kept my secret. God knows how many people he has told about my secret when he’s not sober” I grit my teeth in anger.

“I’m sure Kale didn’t tell anybody else after me. I assure you. Just please don’t be mad at him. It’s not really his fault. I’m sorry, okay?” Nat observed me tensely.

I sighed, “Alright. It’s just… I’m disappointed in him!” I groaned and yanked my hair. “But will you keep it secret? Please don’t tell anyone about this. No exception. Please” there you go, I was begging someone like Nat.

“Don’t worry, I’m a man of my words” he crooked a smile.

Our head suddenly snapped when my front door opened and revealed my mom. She frowned, seeing us there. Nat let go of my shoulder and awkwardly greeted my mom with slight, polite nod.

“What are you guys doing out there?” she asked.

“Uh, Ms. Connor, I was just giving Savannah a ride home” Nat explained, stuttering as he usually did.

“But weren’t you with Dante, Savannah?” My mom looked at Nat with an unsure look.

“Yeah Mom, we had a sleepover at the McGregor’s residence. Dante was there but he couldn’t drive me home because he needed to babysit his little sister,” I told her while I stepped towards my porch leaving Nat.

“Oh okay” Mom looked at me oddly before she let out a nervous chuckle, “Savannah, you’re being rude with your…friend. Why don’t you invite him inside? I just got home from the grocery store and I made some tacos” My mom stared at Nat who stood there like a weird statue.

“Uhh.. I’m sorry Ms. Connor, maybe I should just go back—“

“I insist” Mom pursed her lips and flashed a wide smile at Nat. “It’s Nathaniel, right?” My mouth fell open as I saw she remembered Nat. I watched Nat as he awkwardly walked up the porch steps.

He laughed nervously when he was beside my mom, “A taco wouldn’t kill my time, I hope I’m not being a burden to you, Ms” Nat spoke to my mom politely while he rubbed his nape.

“Oh hush! You’re not, Nathaniel” My mom responded. All three of us walked inside my house as my mom let Nat sit on the loveseat in our living room.

“Thank you, Ms. Connor” Nat started again.

“No, please just call me Heather,” My mom smiled and then went to the kitchen “I’m just going to prepare some tacos and cookies for you, wait here, okay?”

Nat nodded like a little boy. His eyes then fixated on me. I told him that I needed to change my outfit first, because I wasn’t that comfortable being in someone else’s clothes, not that I didn’t appreciate Kat, I just didn’t really like it.

When I got to my room, I kind of missed it so much because it was as if I was out for weeks and I missed my green bedroom so much. I threw my body on my water bed as I bounced freely. I inhaled deeply and then exhaled longingly as my perfume lingered in my nose. I got up to walk to my drawer, searching through my casual outfits and found a grey Queen band t-shirt and wore it after I threw Kat’s top in the hamper.

I found my old disheveled denim shorts and then slid them on after I pulled down Kat’s skirt. After I was done, I combed my tousled red hair and let it loose on my back. I walked out from my room and then went downstairs, seeing something weird.

There sat Mike and Nat on the loveseat. They were talking and I guess Nat enjoyed Mike’s company. Nat was holding onto his taco and chewed some lettuce while he listened to Mike’s interesting topic. Nat nodded and smiled at him before I interrupted them by clearing my throat.

Mike lifted up his head and smiled briefly at me as if I motioned him to go away. He knew that I didn’t like him and he kind of understood. He excused himself and gave Nat the guys’ nod and then disappeared to the kitchen to join my mom who was making dinner.

I shoved my butt next to Nat who was awkwardly staring at my revealed legs but he quickly looked away when I caught him. He’s such a guy. Well at least a normal guy.

He chewed his taco while I grabbed mine. Then we kind of talked about pointless stuff as the tension around us was a bit awkward. He asked about my wounded arms after I was cuffed and then we stopped talking. There was a long pause and I only heard the noises that came from my mom and Mike’s chattering.

“I guess I owe you an apology,” I told him as he finished eating his taco, some mustard was spluttered near his cheek. He……kind of…..looked cute if you actually examined him closely. Damn, did I just say he was cute?

He looked up to me and chugged down a can of root beer without realizing there was some mustard on his face. He demanded the words that I was about to tell to him.

“I’m sorry about Lynn, Nat. I, I didn’t meant to ruin everything. Really, I shouldn’t have butted in on your scene with her. I have never thought about bagging on you and Lynn or pissing you off. I don’t know, but I was just really annoyed because of how Lynn treated you, you know, I really hate her” I blabbered out.

I saw Nat was staring at me as if he was trying to read my mind. “Not that I want to make you mad again, but for all of what she did, she doesn’t deserve you. Like I said before, she thinks she’s the most important thing at school but above of all, she’s just,” I paused, “She’s just a bitch” with that I made a face and hoped that he wouldn’t be mad.

Instead of being mad, he let out a familiar chuckle. “Yeah I guess she doesn’t deserve me,” he said like it was a loss for him “Although I really love her so much, well… what can I say? I’m just a nerd. She only picks popular and hot kids to date” He made it as if he was the one who didn’t deserve her.

A pathetic smile played upon his smeared mustard lips that made me itch. I quickly got a tissue and then leaned closely to him as I wiped the mustard off from his face.

Nat was shocked when I touched him but I quickly explained “Sorry, there has been some smeared mustard on your cheek”

With that Nat couldn’t help but blush. He let out another nervous laugh as we awkwardly straightened ourselves out in our seats.

“So…. You’re that into her?” I said trying to hide the fact that I knew about him stalking Lynn.

“Yeah, a lot. I’ve been crushing on her for four years. Since the 8th grade” he scratched his head and then blushed again. “I’ve always wanted to have something in common with her, I….” he then paused “I wish I could be her boyfriend because I’m sick of seeing so many of her exes treating her as if she’s cheap. I want to protect her, I want to treat her right” he finished which made my jaw drop to the floor.

I couldn’t believe that he was that…. romantic. He’s such a hopeless romantic. Lynn should have realized that there was this nice guy who wanted her. But Lynn was too stupid to see who was decent, which one was hot, which one was a total asshole, just like Cam Garretson.

I contemplated for a moment as I was observing his sad face. He looked so hopeless and helpless. I kind of wanted to help him. But how?

Nat and I were in deep silence as my mom walked into the living room. She invited Nat for lunch since it was almost lunchtime. But Nat declined politely and thought about him being a burden on her. But Mom insisted again and forced him to stay for lunch as well. It seemed like my mom fancied Nat already. Well, my mom just adored polite guys. Dante was her favorite.

When my Mom walked out of the living room and went up to her bedroom with Mike, I turned my head to Nat who now was sipping on his root beer.

“I want to help you,” I told him. Nat glanced at me and arched his brows in confusion.

“Sorry, what?”

“I want to help you get Lynn,” I repeated as his eyes bulged out.

“That’s funny, Savannah. It’s just merely impossible for her to like me. Especially after I was humiliated”

“I know how her brain works, Nat. I’m sure I can help you with that”

“How?” he scoffed in disbelief.

“Tomorrow, just let me take you on shopping trip with Carlton. Just trust me, okay?”

“Uhm.. okay?” he replied hesitantly with a single nod. “Thanks, thank you for trying to help me though it’s kind of impossible” he chuckled dryly.

I returned a big grin as some ideas already popped in my mind. I would make over him, I would bring him into some boutique, dress him like a prep, give him a trim so that he could change his nerdy hair style. I would get him noticed at school and everyone would think Nat is a hot hunk. Lynn loved the hot guys, and I was highly sure that Nat would be one of the hottest guys at school after tomorrow’s make over.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Gazillion thank you goes to my Proof Readers :D :
Annie

Finally an update!! :D How was it? I hope you guys like this chapter.

But I need something to tell you all, I'm not gonna be able to update tomorrow because I'll be having this field trip to some pharmaceutical factories (: and I'm running out of prewritten chapters ):

But don't worry, I'll be updating this on Thursday (in time zone UTC + 7 hours) and probably i'll post 2 chapters to make it up to you guys (:

So............hopefully you won't mind and keep reading my story. (:

don't forget to comment/subscribe (as usual :P)

cheers mate,
~Lisa