Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active.

Give up Forever to Touch You

Chapter 5

Andie couldn’t help but laugh loudly as she watched Rhian sat on the floor in front of Abi pulling faces to make her laugh. They had been back in Huntington for almost two weeks, living with Rhian while Brian was still crashing at Jimmy’s.

“You know, your mommy can laugh at me all she wants, it’s not bothering me and I really enjoy sitting here entertaining you.” she said with a sideways glance at Andie who stopped laughing.

“You’re much more fun than some of the grown ups I’ve now got to go and work with.” she added, tickling her stomach and making her squeal with laughter.

“So have you two got anything planned for the day?” Rhian asked as she picked Abi up into her arms and passed her over to Andie.

“Nothing really, apart from Brian coming over in a little while to spend some time with her.” she replied with a smile.

“He’s over here a lot isn’t he?” she replied suggestively.

“Well he is her father Rhi, and I did make him lose out on the first two months of her life. He’s making up for it.” She replied defensively.

“And you don’t think it has anything to do with wanting to spend more time with you as well?” Rhian asked.

“Yeah, it probably does have something to do with that, considering he’s admitted he loves me, but he wants to spend time with Abi too. He loves her too you know?” she replied.

“Yeah I do, and from what I’ve seen of him with her he’s brilliant with her.” she replied.

“He is.” Andie said smiling at Abi who smiled back.

“Okay, well have a good day, I thought I’d stay here tonight, we can have a proper catch up.” she replied as she picked up her purse and cell phone.

“Rhi, it’s your house, you don’t have to tell me when you’re staying.” Andie replied with a chuckle.

“I know, but I’m spending so much time at Jimmy’s lately I feel like that’s my home now.” she replied with a smile.

“Okay, I’ll talk to you later. Wave bye to Aunty Rhi.” She said moving Abi’s tiny arm to wave at Rhian.

She waved back as she made her way through the front door and Andie turned Abi in her arms to look at her. “Suppose I better get you your bottle before your daddy comes over.” She said with a smile.

A knock at the door caused Andie’s eyes to snap open. She’d fallen asleep sat on the sofa, Abi asleep in her arms after having her bottle. She got up and made her way over to the door, signalling to Brian to be quiet as she let him in.

“Sorry, you should have called me to let me know she was sleeping, I would have come round later.” He said quietly as he followed her back to the sofa.

“It’s okay. She’s been asleep an hour so she’ll be awake soon.” She replied with a smile. “Wanna hold?”

“It won’t wake her up?” he asked.

“Are you kidding me, she’d stay sleeping if a tornado was to pass through the house.” She laughed passing Abi gently into Brian’s arms.

“Really?” he asked with a smile.

“Yeah, thankfully she doesn’t follow me with sleeping. She sleeps through the night too now.” she replied.

“She must follow me; my mom and dad have told me before that I used to like my sleep when I was a baby. I would fall asleep anywhere apparently.” He replied gazing down at the sleeping baby.

“Well in that case thank you. I’m really appreciating the sleep I’m not missing out on if she was up in the nights. Did that make sense?” she said.

“Yeah I know what you meant.” He replied with a chuckle. “And you’re welcome.”

They slipped into a silence that they had grown accustomed to over the past two weeks. Brian had visited everyday since they’d moved back, spending some quality time with Abigail, and as much as Andie hated it, they would fall into awkward silences.

Things had always been so easy between her and Brian. They were use to talking freely to each other, having fun together and enjoying each others company. But things had changed.

For a start, Brian had declared his love for her. She liked him, of that she was sure. She was even sure that she loved him; she just didn’t know if she was in love with him and wanted to be in a relationship with him. And she didn’t want to do anything that would give him the wrong impression about her feelings for him.

Abigail stirring in Brian’s arms brought the silence to an end, a smile appearing on Brian’s thin lips as he changed her position in his arms as he comforted her as she grizzled a little.

“Hey there beautiful girl, how are you today?” he said softly with a smile. Abi smiled back at him.

“Would it be okay if I took her to the park?” he asked turning to Andie.

“Of course you can. I don’t expect you to hang around here all the time.” She replied with a smile.

“You can come too if you like.” he suggested shyly.

“Yeah, okay. I’ve not got anything else to do.” She replied with a smile. “Just give me five minutes to get her bag and stuff ready and we’ll go.”

“So how are Connor and Ella?” she asked to break the silence that had once again fallen over them as they walked through the park.

“I guess Ella doesn’t really understand what’s going on and Connor is very confused about the whole situation.” He replied with a weak smile. “I’ve tried explaining stuff to him; I’ve told him that I don’t love Michelle anymore and that I love you. I’ve also told him that Abi really is his sister.”

“You know, you can always bring them over one day, let them meet Abi. I’d love to see them.” She replied nervously.

“I will, but, well Michelle won’t let me right now.” he replied quietly.

“What? Why?” she replied.

“I’m only allowed to see the kids at the house.” He explained.

“Seriously?” she exclaimed in shock.

“Yeah, at least until I get a place of my own.” he replied sadly. “Which is why I’ve been house hunting.”

“Yeah? Found anywhere?” she asked.

“There’s one or two places I’ve seen, and I’m going to take a look at two more tomorrow.” he replied with a small smile. “I’m having to downsize a little because of the divorce.”

“She’s filed?” Andie asked cautiously.

“Actually we both did. We both got our lawyers to draw up the papers on the same day without each other realising. It’s just the conditions and stuff we have to sort out now and custody of the children.” He explained.

“Bri, I’m sorry.” She replied quietly.

“Hey, it’s not your fault. We probably would have ended up getting divorced at some point. We were drifting apart, you just helped me realise it quicker.” He replied. “Anyway, as soon as I do get a place of my own and I can have the kids properly, I would love them to meet Abi.”

“I want her to meet them too; they are her brother and sister after all.” She replied with a smile. They were silent again for a moment before Brian cleared his throat.

“I was also wondering if I could to take her to meet my parents.” He said quietly. “If that’s okay with you?”

“Of course it is. Bri, you’ve got to stop asking me if it’s okay to do stuff with her. She’s your daughter too remember.” She replied.

“I know, it’s just that, well its different isn’t it, what with us not being together, like a proper family.” He explained.

“Bri, I know our situation isn’t perfect, but I’m not going to stop you being a father to Abi in anyway. You’ve missed out on too much already.” She replied.

“Thanks.” He replied simply.

“Listen, you can have her all day if you want. Take her to see both your parents. Spend the day with her properly.” She replied.

“You’d really let me do that?” he asked.

“Bri, what did I just say?” she replied with a chuckle. “Is tomorrow okay with you?”

“That would be awesome. Thanks.” He smiled and she smiled back at him.

“She can even help you check out those houses, make sure you pick one that she likes too.” she replied.

“Are you saying I need help to pick a nice house?” he asked with a playful smirk.

“Bri, you’re a guy, you need a female opinion on important decisions like these.” She teased.

These were the rare moments with Brian that she loved. When they were more relaxed with each other, when they talked more freely with no awkward silences.

They continued to walk through the park, making a complete loop to end up back at Rhian’s house.

“So what time will you be over tomorrow?” she asked as Brian said good bye to Abi.

“Um, will it be okay if I come over early, like breakfast time?” he asked.

“Yeah sure.” She replied. “I’ll have her ready by about nine if that’s okay?”

“Cool, and thanks again for letting me do this. My mom’s been on at me since I told her to meet her, as has McKenna.” He replied.

“It’s not a problem at all. As I said earlier, I want her to know her family,” she replied.

“Does that include your mom?” he asked. “She’s family too.”

“She still doesn’t want to know anything about her.” she replied sadly.

“Maybe you should just take her to see her. She’s her first granddaughter after all right?” he replied.

“And what if she turns us away?” she asked.

“Then she’s a very stupid woman who doesn’t deserve such an amazing daughter and beautiful granddaughter.” He replied with a serious smile as he gazed into her eyes. She smiled back, unable to draw her gaze away from him. She watched silently as he took a step closer to her and leaned down to press his lips against her forehead.

“I’ll see you in the morning.” He said quietly before passing Abi back into her arms.

She watched silently as he walked back over to the front door, turning back to smile at her briefly before closing it behind him as he left, leaving Andie with a large smile on her face and a flutter in her stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always a huge thanks to all who read, comment and subscribe to this! You guys did a little better on the comments after the last chapter, but I'd still like more!

Andie