Status: Slowly slowly active.

About a Girl

I Want Hold Your Hand

”Yeah, you got that something. I think you’ll understand, when I say that something…I wanna hold your hand.” – The Beatles

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I’ve just finished changing my clothes when the door creaks open.

“Ready?” she asks, “Bill’s already in the car.”

I grab my fedora as I turn to face her, a grin immediately claiming my lips.

She’s standing in the doorway, hand still lightly grasping the knob. She’s wearing a bright yellow sundress, as if to match the weather outside. Her hair is tied back, away from her face, showing off her neck smooth neck.

A smile twitches at her lips in response to mine.

“What?” she asks, her green eyes glimmering with curiosity.

“I…” I begin, walking over to her across the room. “Nothing. Just wanted to tell you how pretty you look,” I admit, as her fingers intertwine with mine and we head down the hall for the front door.

I glance sideways at her to see a flush of pink decorating her cheekbones. I stop just before we get to the door to give her a quick peck on the lips.

“You’re cute when you blush,” I say, before leading us outside.

“Shut up,” she mutters playfully, the pink on her cheeks more prominent now. I only grin and glance down at our tangled fingers.

It’s hot for this time of year (or so I’m told), but I’m not complaining. The winter is long gone and the weather reminds me of home.

“Are you nervous?” William asks as we get into the car. He fiddles with the radio as if preparing for the long drive up to Barrington that awaits us.

“Should I be?” I reply. Rae climbs into the backseat next to me.

“Well…” he begins, but Rae leans forward to smack him on the arm.

“Don’t scare him,” she says, scowling, and he laughs. I quirk a smile and shake my head, reaching over to squeeze her hand.

Not only am I meeting Rae’s parents for the first time, but it’s also their 25th anniversary party, meaning countless of Rae and William’s other family members will be there as well.

In addition to that, they’re celebrating Rae’s upcoming birthday, since she’ won’t be in town for almost the whole summer starting next week.

So, the question persists: am I nervous?

Of course.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I’m more relaxed after Rae introduces me to her parents, after her dad finishes interrogating asking me questions as Rae stands with me watching on in half-amusement and half-exasperation.

The doorbell rings and Rae’s dad excuses himself as I follow Rae and her mom out into the backyard, where various tables are set up.

“Rae, would you help me with something inside?” her mom asks, starting to lead her away. “Let me know if you need anything, Michael. Help yourself to some food or drinks,” she smiles pleasantly before walking away with Rae, who gives me a matching smile over her shoulder.

Rae looks just like her, startlingly so.

“I know, right?” a voice says from behind me.

I turn to see Sisky sitting in a nearby chair.

“Sorry?” I ask him, confused. I join him at his empty table.

“Just wait till you see Bill’s m-”

“Don’t even go there, Sisky,” William says, shaking his head and rolling his eyes as he interrupts, joining us and pulling up a chair across from me and Sisky. We talk about the upcoming tour meanwhile other of Bill and Rae’s family members filter in and out of the house.

Luckily, all my nerves were for nothing; there’s too many people here for the focus to be on me, and it’s not too long when I catch sight of Rae again, this time with a girl following her. I can relax.

“Michael, this is Courtney, William’s sister,” she begins to introduce, as they join us at the table. “Courtney-”

“I approve,” Courtney announces unabashedly, studying me.

“Courtney-” Rae interrupts, rolling her eyes. William laughs.

I can’t help but laugh too, and Rae turns to grin at me too, despite the light flush coloring her cheekbones again.

I take her hand in mine under the table.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: I’m almost positive I made Rae’s birthday around the same time of year in the sequel, but if not, forgive my dumb slipup.

Also, there will be about a seven month time jump from now till the next chapter.

Sorry for the wait. Slowly getting over my writer's block.

Comments are appreciated.