Holding On

Uninvited

I woke up the next morning thinking I was 12 and was going to wake up in his room. Nope. I was in Bruce Wayne’s fancy guest room. I sat up and examined the room over again. I looked over at the clock to see it was 5am. I’ve been waking up an hour earlier since last time. I decided not to go back asleep. Instead I turned on the TV and changed it to the news. Bruce Wayne’s party for Commissioner Gordon was on it then changed to a bank robbery, a hit and run, a found child’s body, then the Joker. They showed his mug shot and started talking about Dr. Freeman’s funeral. I paused it and looked at the Joker, he was smiling in his mug and his eyes were black. Not brown, blue, green, hazel, but black. It was creepy. I changed the channel to nickelodeon and saw Rugrats on. It was an old one, where Tommy and Chucky are thinking Stu is a robot but actually he’s sleepwalking. I smiled and continued watching.

...

After a few hours of watching Rugrats, It went to iCarly, and that’s when I turned it off. I went out of my room and went to Ally’s room and saw her still asleep. Usually she’s up by now. I closed the door and walked down stairs to the kitchen to get me some coffee. I poured myself a cup and saw from the corner of my eye Bruce walking in.

“Good Morning.” I greeted.

“Good Morning, Melinda.” He says sitting down on the stool chairs.

“Would you like some?”

“Please.”

So I poured him a cup and set the sugar and half ‘n half on the table and sat down across from him.

“Are you excited tonight?” I asked,

“Yes, I am. Surprisingly.” He chuckles. “Are you?”

“A little.”

“Why’s that?”

“Not big on parties.” I took a sip on my coffee, burning my tongue.

“Well, this may be big. But not wild like the ones Allyson likes to go to.”

“Oh good, I can relax.” I smiled.

“You can.”

“So, are you bringing anyone? Is it like a date kind of thing?”

“No, I’m not bringing anyone this time.” He says taking a sip of his coffee.

“This time?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Usually I bring one or two women with me.”

“Two? Wow.”

“Yeah, but, not this time. I’m on my own.” He smirks.

“Well, that makes three of us…You, me, and Ally.”

“Or you could be my date and we’ll leave Allyson by herself.” He whispers looking over his shoulder to make sure Ally wasn’t listening.

“That’s harsh. Ditching her.” I smirked, “I’m in!”

He laughs, “I thought so. Well. If you will excuse me Melinda. I need to make a phone call.” He says, standing up with a large smile on his face.

“You can call me, Mel.” I smiled,

“Mel.” He smiles, trying it out.

“Can’t wait for tonight.”

“Me ether.” He says then walks away.

When he left I could feel someone behind me, smiling.

“Ditching me so you can be Bruce’s date?”

I turned around to see Ally walking towards me and sitting where Bruce sat.

“Shut up, Ally” I said before she could start bragging,

“You like him!”

“Shut up.” I sang.

“I see how it is…I’m glad, though. Maybe you two will get married.” She stands up to go into the living room.

“Doubt it!” I yelled towards her,

She just turns and winks at me before disappearing. Yeah, I guess I like Bruce. He’s cute. Sometimes I think about him. What he would say if I found someone else? Would he be happy for me that I moved on? Would he be angry? Is he even alive?

I scared myself when I thought of that last question and stuck my face in my hands. That was a horrible thought. I realized I’m not over him. I don’t think I’ll never be over him. And I wish he was here with me right now.



It was 6:59pm and I was dressed in the black dress Bruce gave me. Yes, gave. It’s mine now. My hair was down and also my makeup, I looked…Pretty.

Ally barged into my room, her hair was down and loosely curled, makeup finished, and her red dress made her beautiful.

“Are you finished with your face?” she asks,

“Yeah.”

“Good. Bruce is waiting.” She sang, smiling madly.

I rolled my eyes looking back in the mirror, sighing, then walked out of the room with my matching black purse in my right hand and went down the stairs to see Bruce in a nice tux. Ally was standing next to him, anxious to go.

“You look stunning, Mel.” He says using my nickname.

“Thank you.” I blushed, reaching the last step.

Ally was squealing silently behind Bruce as he took my hand and linked my arm with his.

“Shall we ladies?” he asks, holding out his other arm for his cousin.

“We shall.” Says Ally, taking it.

Alfred opened the door for us smiling, and outside was a black hummer limo. My mouth dropped as Ally squeals loudly and runs over to it, getting inside. Bruce laughs at my reaction then leads me towards it. We got in and the limo driver took off and headed for the Bruce’s penthouse.

We walked in and saw everyone turn to look at us, I felt uncomfortable as Bruce lets go of Ally but not me as he pulls me towards a familiar man with a mustache.

“Commissioner.” Bruce greets, shacking his hand.

“Ah, Bruce Wayne. You shouldn’t have done this.”

“Why? You deserve it. Settle down and enjoy.” Bruce smiles patting his shoulder.

Gordon chuckles then looks over at me with a questioning look, “Who’s this?”

“Oh! Melinda Anderson, sir.” I said with a smile, shacking his hand.

“Forgive me, I thought you were someone else for a moment.” He smiled letting go of my hand.

“Who?” asks Bruce.

“Oh. A little girl that went missing 13 years ago. Poor girl, she was abuse and raped by her father and she ran away.” He whispers to us.

My heart did a flip.

“That’s horrible. Who did this?”

“John Collins, he was arrested 5 years ago when we found pornographic photos of the girl in his desk.”

“Oh my god.”

“Yes. And you look exactly like her, only older.” Gordon points at me.

“What was her name?” asks Bruce.

“Anna Collins.”

I shuddered, licking my lips as I felt my stomach drop.

“Her case has been cold ever since. Never found her body, but I still look for her. She would be 24 now.”

“I’m going to get a drink, do you want anything?” I asked Bruce too quickly.

“Uh, yes, please.” He nods, confused.

I quickly walked away from them ignoring them when Gordon asked if I was okay to Bruce. I walked into the girl’s bathroom and into a stall trying to catch my breath. My case was cold but yet Gordon is still looking for me? I’m not Anna…Anna was a poor, defenseless girl who disappeared 13 years ago…I’m Melinda Anderson. A woman with no past but a future. Nothing more, nothing less.

After I calmed down I walked out of the bathroom and got the drinks and walked back over to Bruce who was now talking to Alfred.

“Hello.” I squeezed in, noticing he had a drink in his hand. “Oh, you already got one.”

“Yes, um. You took so long, so I um—“Bruce was lost for words as he continued to studded.

“It’s alright. Here,” I gave Alfred the other glass and held up mine, “See? Problem solved.” Alfred chuckles,

“Cheers.” He clinks his with mine and we took a sip.

Alfred left us as we talked for a couple hours and I learned that he lost his parents when he was little, I felt bad, but then he asked about my past and I told him I couldn’t remember and that all the things that could jog my memory was burned along with the house.

I looked over and saw Ally flirting with some guy.

“You look bored.” Bruce breaks the silence.

“I’m not.”

“Relaxed?”

I shrugged, “A little.”

“Well…Mel, um. I know this is sudden…But…?”

“What is it?” I asked confused as he stuttered,

He went to speak again but was cut off by his phone. He pulled it out of his pocket and his face seemed to change as he looked at the screen.

“What’s the matter?”

“I got to go. Stay here.” He orders then walks away.

“Wait? Why?”

“Stay.”

I was seriously confused. He looked worried at first then all of a sudden his face was blank and his voice was stern.

Then…Someone uninvited came.

There was a crash through doors and everyone turned to see people in clown masks with guns spread out pointing at the guards that do have guns and made them put them down and they picked it up. From the kitchen more came out and in front of them was a girl with greasy blonde hair wearing messy white and black makeup and black and red jester outfit. She was smiling, holding a slug hammer with her right and a submachine gun in the other. She giggles as she skips over to the middle of the room tossing her gun to one of the clown men.

“Good evening, boys and girls! For those who don’t know who I am; I’m Harley Quinn!” she says in a high pitch Boston accent. “Anyway! Let me introduce you to a very specialguest! The Joker!!”

She points her arms out towards the entrance where a man in a purple suit with green stringy hair. He wore white makeup with black around his eyes and red lips that went up to his cheeks to make it look like he was smiling…A very creepy smile I might add.

“I’m back!” he exclaims, “Did you all miss me?” he asks, holding his shot gun as he approaches to the middle of the floor.

He snaps his fingers for a waiter to come over with his tray, The Joker picks up one of the caviar and slaps the tray out of the scared waiter’s hands and chews the food open mouth and spoke with her mouth full.

“Now I’m here on a little quest and I would like someone to tell me…Where Bruce Wayne is?” the Joker asks, chewing his food open mouth.

“Oh no…Mel, what do we do?” asked a scared to death Allyson who ran towards me.

“Don’t say a word. I’m going to get help.” I ordered her as she nodded slightly.

I backed away slowly towards the kitchen as The Joker asked everyone where Bruce Wayne was. I went through the kitchen door without anyone noticing, so I thought. Turns out the hyper Blondie saw me and followed. I ran through the silvery kitchen and found the back exit but when I went to grab the handle, I felt someone grab me from behind.

“Where do ya think, you’re going, sweetie?” I heard the Harley chick giggle, before dragging me back.

“Let me go, bitch!” I yelled, she just giggled.

“Oh, Mistah J!!” she yells from across the room, “Looky who tried to leave the party!”

The Joker growls as he had a hand on the back of a mans neck with his switchblade in his face. He looks back and sees Harley holding a struggling woman with dark hair. The Joker pushes the man to the ground and walks towards the two girls. He sees the woman elbow Harley in the gut making her let go and hunch over, the Joker laughs as he grabs the woman and turns her around. Her hair was falling out of her bun and fell in her face and he pushes it back so he can make her look at him. He chuckles had died down when he stared at the woman’s face. It looked so familiar, some pieces of her hair was still in her face and it just seemed familiar but he couldn’t put his finger on it, but it felt like Déjà vu staring at her like this. He didn’t like that. He pulls his switchblade out and puts it against her cheek and looked into her eyes…Grey eyes. Grey. He saw no fear but anger. Everything about her he seemed to recognize. He chuckles and cocks his head to the side and licks his lips.

“What is your name, toots?” he asks in a high raspy voice,

“None of your business.” She hisses.

“Oh really? Do I look like I care if it isn’t my business?” he says point the blade at him then replacing it back against her cheek, smacking his lip together. “Tell me your name, and I won’t mess up your pretty little face.” He smirks.

“Melinda Anderson.” She says,

Didn’t ring any bells to The Joker. Maybe she was lying.

“I don’t like liars, Miss Anderson.”

“Who says I’m lying?” she snaps.

“Puddin’, just kill her already!” Harley whines.

“Shut up!” He snaps at her making her pout, “Well then…If you won’t tell me.”

He knocks her out and threw her over his shoulder then turns to the large crowd in front of them and smiles at them while heading towards the entrance of the place.

“Well. Since Brucey isn’t here, be sure to tell him I stopped by and…” his goons walk through the entrance with Harley and he turns to them “I’ll be waiting.” He laughs then walks away.

Joker and the goons hopped into the black van and headed back to the hideout. All the emotions running through Ally’s head, her best friend was captured by the most fearful man in Gotham, and it was because nobody knew where Bruce is. And she wished it was her instead of Melinda. Though she wondered why The Joker didn’t believe her name was Melinda Anderson.

“Oh shit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty long to me. That should keep you guys occupied for awhile :]

Thanks,
MentalMasturbation
LoveMckaela
Shadow's Gate
Brooklynn Marie
how pretty.
xx; Ignorance
DaniBaby


For commenting.