Status: Complete!

Nothing in This World Can Compare to You

Ask

“Last frame!” I called.

The tall woman in front of me placed her hand on her hip and cocked her head to the side and I snapped the photo. There, done.

“Alright, that’s a wrap!” I grinned.

Everyone cheered and clapped. I turned my camera off and hung it over my shoulder, giving Dan a one-armed hug. We had officially finished all the shooting for my mom’s summer collection. All I had to do now was sort through the photos and decide which ones were the best, then develop them. Dan and I had decided to develop the photos ourselves to avoid any rookies ruining the films.

“Damn, I can finally go back to normal working hours,” Dan groaned happily, taking apart the lighting equipment.

“I hear you,” I chuckled, placing what he handed me into a storage box.

“ASHY!!!”

I turned round, grinning at the sight of Misty running towards me. I threw my arms wide and engulfed her in a hug, spinning around a few times. It’s been too long since I last saw her.

“Hey Jenn,” Dan waved.

“Hey Dan,” Misty grinned.

Everyone at Darla Designs knows Misty by her real name, Jennifer.

“I brought mochas,” Misty said cheerfully.

“Damn, you know the way to my heart. You okay to finish up here?” I asked Dan.

“Sure thing,” Dan nodded, smiling.

I smiled back, following Misty out of the large room.

“That guy is wrapped around your little finger,” Misty giggled.

“He’s a good friend, Mist, nothing more and you know it,” I warned her.

Misty sent me a sympathetic glance, remembering what I’d told her about mine and Nate’s argument earlier in the week. We reached my office and sat down in the chairs, Misty handing me my cup of caffeinated goodness.

“So what brings you here?” I asked warmly.

“Just wanted to see if you’d actually get things finished for the collection,” Misty teased.

“Gee, thanks,” I said sarcastically.

“I’m only joking, babes. And besides, it looks like you did a great job,” Misty smiled.

“I damn well hope so. I haven’t worked 10 hour shifts every day for nothing!” I groaned.

“Just remember, now all your stress is gone you can go back home and be all lovey-dovey with your sex monkey,” Misty crooned.

I blushed lightly, making my blonde friend laugh.

“Aww you are so cute. The anniversary is soon, right?” Misty giggled.

“Yeah, beginning of July,” I nodded.

“5 years...I can’t believe it. When’s the wedding?” Misty teased.

I froze slightly, my eyes dropping. This was another thing that scared me. Nate had never hinted anything about wanting to marry me, but my mom, his parents, Sam, Josh and Geoff had all mentioned it either as a joke or a tease at some point over the past 5 years. Nate had just laughed them off, but I took it seriously. Marriage was the one thing that would cement us, and with things how they are at the moment I was sensitive about our stability.

Misty noticed my reaction and frowned.

“I said something wrong again, didn’t I?” Misty sighed.

“No, not really,” I replied weakly.

“What’s wrong, Ash?” Misty asked softly.

“Marriage is what every committed couple work towards, right? Nate and I have been together for nearly 5 years but...he’s never even hinted of making us together forever like that,” I explained, sipping on my mocha.

“Have you asked him about it?”Misty asked.

“No. But other people have mentioned it and he just laughs it off. It’s like he doesn’t even care,” I mumbled.

“Woah, slow down sweetie, we all know that Nate loves you with all his heart,” Misty said seriously.

“Does he? Does he really? I just don’t know anymore,” I whimpered.

“Stop. Take my advice – talk to him. Tell him what you’re feeling. Because otherwise nothing will get sorted. You can’t let this brew up inside your head, Ash,” Misty said softly.

“I’ll think about it,” I replied quietly.

“Please, do. I don’t like seeing you so down, babes,” Misty said with a weak smile.

I smiled weakly back at her, finishing the last of my coffee.

“Look, I’ve got to get back to Lily, but call me okay? Whenever you need me,” Misty said warmly.

“Sure thing,” I nodded.

Misty pecked a kiss to my cheek before leaving my office. I sighed, running my hands through my hair. Talking to Misty had only succeeded in opening up another insecurity about mine and Nate’s relationship. The question is...do I confront him and run the risk of him ending it from realising he doesn’t want the long-term commitment, or do I leave the question alone and continue in the warpath our relationship is at the moment?

I really don’t know what to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Far too short, but I'm in a rush - packing up my house before I move back from University!!
Update will be in about a week.

Comments please!!
xo