Status: Complete!

Nothing in This World Can Compare to You

Walk

It’s the end of May now. I’ve had a day off and so has Nate, which is a rare occurrence for us. We’ve spent the entire day together which has been amazing, because we’ve just been cuddled up on the sofa watching movies. We haven’t done that since we were 18. That was 5 years ago! Nate even gave me a back massage, which he only does when he’s in a really good mood. Like, really really good. I wonder what’s on his mind?

“Love, your cell’s ringing,” Nate murmured, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I blushed as he chuckled but untangled myself from his arms and reached for my cellphone. Hmm. Misty.

Ash: Jello Mistylicious.
Misty: Jello Ashy-boo!
Ash: Is everything okay? It’s just that I know you don’t call after 9 on a weekday unless there’s an emergency.
Misty: Oh no, everything’s fine! Well, Lily’s got a cough and Sam and I have only just managed to get her to sleep. That’s why I’m calling so late.
Ash: I hope my angel Lily gets better soon!

“What’s wrong with Lily?” Nate frowned.

I held my cellphone to my shoulder and smiled at him.

“She’s got a cough,” I explained.

“Oh, okay,” Nate nodded.

I put the phone back up to my ear.

Ash: Sorry, Nate was just worried about Lily.
Misty: Yeah it’s cool, I heard him. Well I was calling to ask how your day was because I went into work to drop in some paperwork and Dan said it was your day off.

I put my cellphone to my ear.

“I’m gonna gossip with Misty, is that okay?” I asked Nate.

“Of course it is, you don’t have to ask,” Nate snickered.

He pressed a kiss to my forehead and I grinned, leaping off the couch and heading into our kitchen.

Ash: You still there?
Misty: Where else would I go?
Ash: Haha true. Okay, well, Nate had a day off too so we’ve spent it together in the apartment.
Misty: But you two never have a day off together!
Ash: I know! It’s been amazing! We’ve been cuddling on the couch and watching movies like we used to. He even gave me a back massage.
Misty: Oh my gosh!
Ash: I know right? Today’s been just...perfect. We really needed this.
Misty: Ash...you don’t think...
Ash: Think what?
Misty: Do you think he’s going to propose?

My jaw dropped and I squeaked, dropping my sidekick. What the fuck?!?! Misty couldn’t be right...could she? Nate appeared in the doorway, a frown on his face.

“You okay?” he asked, worried.

“Yuh, fine!” I choked.

Nate didn’t look convinced.

“When you’re done with Misty, do you want to walk on the beach? We haven’t done that in years,” Nate asked softly.

“I’d love to!” I grinned, picking up my cellphone.

Nate grinned and nodded, leaving me alone once more.

Misty: Ash? Are you okay?
Ash: Y-Yeah I’m fine. You’re not serious, are you?
Misty: Well I don’t want to get your hopes up or anything but it does sound awfully romantic, doesn’t it? The two of you have been going through a rough patch and to have a day as warm and fuzzy as this is kinda random otherwise.
Ash: Nate asked me if I want to go for a walk on the beach when we’ve finished talking.

I whispered that last phrase. I’m not really sure why.

Misty: Awww!
Ash: Oh gosh, now I hope you’re right!
Misty: Me too! Okay, call me when you’re home, okay? No matter what the news?
Ash: Duh! Okay, ttyl!
Misty: Ttyl!

I ended the call and shoved my sidekick in my jeans pocket, taking a deep breath. Misty’s right, I shouldn’t get my hopes up. This might just be a coincidence. But maybe...no. Don’t think about it. Letting out the deep breath and smiling, I walked back out of the kitchen and into the living room.

“You ready love?” Nate asked, smiling.

His English accent still hasn’t faded. I love that so much. With a grin I skipped over to him (yes, skipped) and wrapped my arms round his stomach. Nate laughed but wrapped his arms round me too.

“I love you, you know that right?” I breathed, looking up at him.

“Yeah I’m pretty sure,” Nate chuckled.

I pressed a kiss to his chest seeing as I’m still 5ft 6 so I can’t reach his cheek unless I stand on tiptoes. Nate smiled and linked our fingers together, grabbing his house keys with his other hand. We headed out of the apartment and over to the elevator, me just trying to keep my heart rate down. Do not get your hopes up Ashley!

*

[Nate]

I held my Etnies in my free hand, my other still entwined with Ash’s, as we stepped onto the sand. This was nice. This felt good. I miss spending time with Ash like this, I really do. We used to do stuff like this all the time while he was part-time at college but then when we started working our alone time got less and less, until it became what it is now. So this is nice. I just wanted to do something good for the both of us, y’know?

“Let’s stop here,” I said softly.

Ash smiled eagerly at me and sat down between my legs. I chuckled as I wrapped my arms around his waist from behind, resting my chin on his head. Ash sure is in a weird mood tonight. Not really sure what to make of it, if I’m honest.

“I’m glad we had the day off together,” I murmured.

“Me too,” Ash said warmly, his fingers lacing with mine.

“And I know that we haven’t spent any time together recently, or done anything romantic in the last year, so I’m glad we can do this,” I added.

Ash just grinned and leant his head up. I smiled and pressed my lips to his, inhaling sharply through my nose. I slid one of my hands to cup Ash’s face, the other supporting both our bodies as Ash clung to my shirt. I’ll never have enough of his sweet kisses, the way he still explores my mouth shyly with his tongue, even after all these years. He is my forever.

After a few minutes I broke away, not wanting to make it too intense. This was a romantic evening, not a lustful one. With one final peck to Ash’s lips, I rested my chin on top of his head.

“The stars are so beautiful this time of year,” Ash sighed happily.

“You’re beautiful all year round,” I replied.

I didn’t need to look at Ash to know that he was blushing. We stayed in a comfortable silence for another half an hour, before I realised that Ash was getting a bit antsy.

“Shall we head home?” I smiled, standing up.

“W-Was this it then?” Ash mumbled, standing up too.

What?

“Uh, I guess. I just thought it would be nice to spend time like we used to. Didn’t you like spending time together?” I frowned.

“Of course I did!” Ash protested.

“But...” I prompted.

“It’s nothing, okay? It’s nothing. Let’s just go home,” Ash muttered.

I frowned a little more but took Ash’s hand in mine as we walked back along the beach. This time Ash’s hand felt a little forced, a little lifeless. What the fuck did I do wrong? When we slipped our shoes back on, I noticed that Ash had tears in his baby blue eyes.

“Baby, what’s wrong? What did I do?” I asked desperately, cupping his face with my hands.

I can’t have messed this up again. I swear I didn’t do anything wrong! But I was shocked when Ash stepped out of my arms.

“Nothing’s wrong. Can we just go home?!” Ash demanded.

I sighed and shoved my hands in my pockets as we walked. If he’s going to be like that, then fine. I don’t know what I did but it must’ve been something bad if Ash is acting this way. He’s never been like this before. I hate doubting myself but recently that’s all I’ve seemed to do. Tonight was meant to be a perfect romantic night in, just the two of us. But it’s ended like a disaster.

I don’t know how much more of this I can take.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, uh, yeah. Bad times.
I had my hair cut from past my shoulderblades to just under my chin last night, so I'm a little bit unnerved - hence the weirdness of this chapter.
But I promise the next one will make up for it!
Lots of drama and a new character that shakes everything up =]

146 subscribers? Please comment!
xo