My Only One

It's You And Me

Ryan quickly set the alarm and locked the front door. After random shouts of goodbyes, he followed behind everyone else to their cars. One by one, they all left the Key residence. After ten minutes he was at Jenna and Melissa's apartment. He allowed himself in with the key Jenna gave him. As quietly as he could he went to Jenna's room. The light was still on and she was asleep. He took her cell out of her hand and set it on her nightstand.

"I was gonna call you," she mumbled as she woke up and turned onto her back.

"I know but I'm here now," he said as he sat next to her on the bed.

She covered her eyes for a second and then looked at her boyfriend. "Ryan-"

"It's okay. Go back to sleep." He pulled the covers over her before shutting off the lights. He climbed into her bed and put his arms around her.

"I love you, Ryan," she said as she buried her face in his chest.

"I love you, too," he said as he kissed her forehead.

***

When I woke up in the morning, I saw Ryan sleeping next to me. I had no recollection whatsoever of him getting here. He was still in his Georgia Bulldogs hoody and blue jeans. He looked so peaceful and I didn't want to disturb him. I shook my head and as carefully as I could, I got out of bed.

"Hey!"

I stopped right where I was and turned around. Ryan was leaning on his side, his sleepy eyes staring at me.

"Oh, you're up."

"You didn't think you could get away from me that easily, did you?"

"No, I just gotta go potty really bad." I really did too.

Ryan laughed at me. "Just come back."

I nodded my head and pretty much ran to the bathroom.

"Did you hear any noises last night?" Melissa asked as I was on my way back to my room.

"It was just Ryan. I gave him a key. Ha ha! I gave Key a key. Oh man! I'm so funny."

"You are hands down the biggest dork I know. Anyway, I thought maybe I was going crazy."

"No. I totally forgot to tell you."

"Oh, well, it's all right." She passed by as I walked into my room. Ryan looked up at me from his laying position.

"What's on the agenda for today?" he asked as I laid next to him.

"I have my interview today so I gotta go take a shower."

"Now?"

"Um...yeah, I can't be late to this. I really need this job."

Ryan groaned and rolled over onto his back. "Okay, I guess."

"I'm glad I have your permission. I'll be back before you even know it."

"I'll be waiting but you know," he paused, "I can take care of you."

"This is the twenty-first century; I can take care of myself. When we get married, then we'll talk. And I have no doubts that you won't be waiting." Once again, I got up. This time I got some clothes and headed to the bathroom to shower and get ready to leave. After half an hour and a cup of coffee with my beau, I was out the door.

***

When I got home three hours later, Ryan and Melissa were sitting on the couch watching the television. I set my portfolio on the table back in the same place. Ryan and Melissa looked up at me with expectant eyes.

"So..." they said in unison.

"Well, I got it!"

"That's great!" Ryan said as he got up and hugged me.

"That's fantastic. What's it like there?" Melissa asked.

"Well, it's a place that's like, for people after they graduate from college with whatever degree they have. Mrs. Asher, she runs the place, she pretty much works with everyone to get them to their greatest level and then she finds them a place whether it is at a local magazine or at The Chicago Tribune."

"What is she going to do with you since you're so far advanced?" asked Mel.

"She's not sure yet. She was thinking about having me mentor the newcomers."

"Well whatever she has you do, that's great. Congratulations on getting the job," Ryan said.

"Thanks guys." Ryan took my portfolio and sat on the couch with it as Melissa and I went into the kitchen. She grabbed us each a Mountain Dew out of the refrigerator and we sat on the stools.

"I have an interview with Guitar Center in a couple days," Melissa informed me.

"Well, you'll have no problem nailing it."

"I know," she said confidently.

"Why didn't you tell me you saw me play last year?" Ryan asked walking in by us.

"Let's go talk in my room," I said to him. He nodded his head and walked off.

"Uh oh Jenna!"

"Shut up Mel!" I jokingly punched her in the arm. "I'll be right back." I went to my room where Ryan was waiting.

"So, you saw me play last year?"

"Yeah, I saw you guys last year."

"Why didn't you stay after?"

"Because I didn't know what I would say. I wouldn't have known what to do."

"I would have really liked to have seen you."

"I wasn't ready for the confrontation and the awkward feelings. Besides, Blake was with me."

"I think I could have gotten around that."

"Ryan, that was then. This is now. All we've got is now. Let's be happy with what we have because now we have each other." I sat in his lap and put my arm around his neck.

"You just have no idea how much I would have wanted to see you."

"Well, you can see me now all you want." I let him know before I kissed him.

"I think I would like to see more of you right now though," he said as he laid on top of me and started to fidget with the big black belt that was around my waist.

"I think you need to do something about that then," I told him as he finally undid my belt.