My Only One

Boyfriend Of A Lifetime

I went upstairs to Ryan's room and got underneath the blankets and cried. The first time something like this came about, we both ran. This time, we're going for it. I already didn't like it. After a few minutes, I heard Sarah come home. She got into the bed next to me.

"You know, as time goes on, it's going to get easier. I won't say it won't hurt as much but it does get easier."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Just keep yourself entertained and don't expect calls from him."

"Don't expect calls from him?" I warily asked her.

"Like, don't think about it. Obviously he's going to call you but there will be some days he won't be able to so don't expect it."

"Oh, I get it." I looked over at her. "You do realize..."

"I'm lying in the same exact spot where you and my brother had sex just hours ago...right?"

"You might be..."

"Great. Now I need to buy some new clothes," she said as she literally jumped out of the bed.

"Ha! Shut up Sarah." I sat up. After sitting alone in Ryan's room for a couple minutes, I decided it was time for me to go home for the night and get everything ready for work tomorrow. Apparently there's a new comer coming tomorrow and I know for a fact that before the day is over I'm going to get stuck with them one way or another.

"Leaving already?" Sarah asked as I approached the door.

"Yeah, I have to get everything ready for tomorrow."

"All right, have a good night."

"You too," I said and left.

* * *

I unlocked the door to the apartment. That meant Melissa wasn't home. That girl was always busy nowadays. When I went inside I noticed there were roses on the table. It was obvious they had just been placed there. I pulled the card out and read "I love you" in Ryan's handwriting.

"Aww, that's cute," I said and took them into the kitchen to them in a vase. That took me at most five minutes after cutting all the stems and getting stabbed by thorns at least half a dozen times. My bedroom held a similar scene. There were roses sitting on my bed, except a plush bulldog was holding them. Underneath it all was his Bulldogs hoody that he frequently wore. I wonder if he intentionally left it there. That boy is way too obsessed with that college football team. The bulldog was sitting on a card. I opened it up.

I'll admit that I left you a few minutes earlier than I needed to but I wanted to do this. Just remember that I'll be thinking of you every moment of every day. I love you more than you know.

Ryan officially gets the boyfriend of a lifetime award. I did the same with these roses as I had the others and set them on my nightstand. After all of that, I plopped down on my bed. Today was exhausting which is weird since I did nothing but cry. But like Ryan said, we'd be together again sooner than later.

* * *

"Hey Jenna, can you do me a favor?" Mrs. Asher said sticking her head into the darkroom. I looked up from the photo I was just about to pull out of the liquid.

"That depends what it is. If it's to dress in a skirt and do the hula, no, sorry, can't help you there."

"Oh darn. There goes the entertainment for my Hawaiian themed party. At 2 o'clock, a Jared Cotter should be here. I have to run somewhere. Can you show him around and get him started with some practice shots? He shouldn't be too hard to deal with; he's almost as good as you." That made me look up in an instant.

"Consider it done."

"Thanks. I'll see you later. I'll have my cell if anyone needs anything since I'm considering you in charge."

"Gotchya." Mrs. Asher smiled and walked away. I checked the clock on the wall. It was 1:50. I really do hope this Jared guy is as good as she says because I really don't want to deal with anyone right now. I guess you could say I was in a cranky mood. I haven't talked to my boyfriend in two days now. He's only had enough time to text me an I love you and that was it. I started to clean everything up and washed my hands. It was going on 2 when I finished. I walked out to the lobby and called out for Jared Cotter. A tall African-American approached me. I had to admit he was rather attractive.

We made small talk as I gave him the tour of the place and showed him his primary work space.

"She wants me to have you work on some practice shots now," I told Jared just before I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I had a new text message. I had a feeling I already knew what it said.

I love you baby.

I sighed out of frustration. That meant Ryan wouldn't be calling tonight again.

"Are you okay?" Jared asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll send the models in," I said and walked away. I wasn't about to tell some guy I just met that Ryan Key is my boyfriend and he's too busy for me. I walked into the dressing room.

"Do we go now?" one of them asked me.

"Yeah, just a minute though," I said and got everyone's attention. "This guy is supposed to be pretty good-"

"Better than you?" Tara, the snobbiest model we had, asked.

"Anyway, give him hell and I mean that. Now go." All five of them filed out of the room, leaving me by myself. I sat on a folding metal chair and debated if I wanted to text Ryan back what I was really feeling. I decided against it. I would rather not start any fights. Neither of us needed that at this moment.

I know you're there.

I sent him back a text.

We have a new guy. I can't talk right now. Sorry.

I slid my phone shut. I know I should be using this chance to talk to him but I just wasn't in the mood. I didn't think it would be like this but what do I know. I went back out to check on Jared.

"I'm about ready to punch that one in the face," he whispered to me. He was referring to Tara.

"You're the best there is, deal with it." I walked away. I think my bitch-meter just hit ten.

* * *

Finally after what seemed like forever, it was time to go home and that's exactly where I went. Melissa brought home some Pizza Hut with her and we sat at the table.

"How was your day?" she asked me.

"It was okay. The new guy came today. He's kind of hot."

"Jen, don't."

"Don't what?"

"Ryan loves you."

"Oh my God! You seriously think I would do that to him? I may hate him right now but I would never cheat him. I can't believe you would even think that."

"Temptations can get the best of us at our worst times."

"How would you even know? As far as I know, you don't even have a boyfriend!" I spat at her.

"As a matter of fact, I do. I know exactly what you're going through. Maybe you and Ryan need to open your eyes."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Longineu and I have been dating for about month now."

"Seriously?"

"That's exactly what I'm talking about!" She got up and left the table. Great, there goes my best friend now. After I cleaned up, I went to bed only to be woken up around 3 am. I groaned and answered my phone without even checking to see who it was.

"I didn't mean to wake you but I really wanted to talk to you."

It was Ryan.

"No, it's fine." I sat up. "How are you doing?"

"I really miss you. How are you doing?"

"Ryan, I don't know if I can do this anymore."