Sequel: Endlessly

The Square Root

Dinners, Waiters and Jealousy.

Ryan looked at me funny and let out a chuckle.

We got to the table, where they were seated. There was a man whom I believed, was Ryan’s father. He had the same dark brown hair as Ryan and Jason, but it was a bit more faded. He also had Ryan’s green eyes. I wasn't clear on how old they were, but expecting that Jason was as old as my brother, I’d say he was still in his early 40’s. He looked intimidating, maybe because of his business man demeanor.

He was seated at the head of the table, on his left side was Laura and Stephanie, and right in front of him was Jason. On his right side were two empty seats.

“You clean up very well, Ms. DeLuca,” she said standing up.

“Thank you ma’am,” I smiled at her.

She raised an eyebrow and chuckled. Ryan, Stephanie and Jason started shifting uncomfortably where they were now sitting. “Laura, my dear,” she smiled at me.

“Right. Laura,” I corrected myself. There were 3 pairs of eyes that almost bugged out of their sockets at that moment. Stephanie cleared her throat and straightened up.

“So, I have yet to meet you young lady,” the gentleman said, standing up. “William Dolciani,” he said holding his hand out. I stood up as well and shook it in a business shake.

“Hazelyn DeLuca sir,” I said nervously. He just nodded at me.

“Take a seat,” he told us. Ryan held out the seat for me. I flattened my dress and he pushed the seat in.

“Let us order now, shall we?” Will asked the entire table, as he took a sip of his wine and browsed through the menu.

I was kind of nervous and kind of not. I had an urge to want to impress this family. Maybe because I haven’t really had much friends, and this is pretty much the first time I’ve been close to one. I mean not that I’m expecting to get close to them, but just in case. It’s the first time I’ve actually met a family that was- not to sound conceited - as wealthy as our family. Or as formal.

“You okay?” Ryan whispered to me as he took my hand under the table. I nodded with a small smile. I think I knew what they were talking about when he said that his parents were scary. “You need me to order for you?” he asked me worriedly.

I leaned to his ear and whispered back. “I think I can manage, I’ll try to put my French 1 to use,” I smiled. He gave a soft chuckle, which earned us a funny look from Stephanie. She was accusing me of flirting with her brother. I gave her an eye roll, and went back to my menu.

“Bonsoir, êtes-vous prêt à commander?” the waiter asked. Mmmm. Cute face, nice eyes, hot body and hot accent. I looked over at Stephanie and winked at her. She subtly nodded her head and grinned at me. Ryan nudged me and gave me a weird look. I just shrugged.

“Are you ready?” Laura asked. Ryan nodded, then looked at me, so I nodded as well. Stephanie and Jason said a simultaneous ‘yes’.

Will turned to him. "Nous allons obtenir le Grand Plateau, et Salade de Cresson et d'Endives au Roquefort et Noix pour chacun de nous. Alors, je vais avoir le Gigot d'agneau,” he said in perfect French, and turned towards Laura.

“Je vais avoir le Poulet Rôti,” she said and smiled.

“And I’ll have the Corque Madame,” Stephanie smiled at the guy.

“Uhh.. I’ll get the Steak Frites,” Jason said, with a slight French accent.

“Puis-je également obtenir le Poulet Rôti, mais tenir la oignons marinés rouge, lardons s'il vous plait,” I said to him, and he smirked at me. I blushed and looked back down at my menu. Stephanie kicked my foot under the table which I held back a yelp.

“Uhm, je vais aussi obtenir le Steak Frites,” Ryan said to the waiter. And the cute guy nodded.

“Boissons?” he asked.

“Juste de l'eau pour nous à moins que notre client souhaite autre chose.,” Will said, looking at me.[Just water for us unless our guest wants something else.]

I blushed. “L'eau est parfaite, je vous remercie,” I said, looking at both Will and the waiter. [Water is perfect, thank you.]Mr. Cutie nodded, sent me a smile and went back to the kitchen to take care of our orders.

“I didn’t know you spoke fluent French,” Ryan said to me. I gave him a sheepish smile.

“I know, Lyn. No wonder you’re so bored during French,” Stephanie chuckled.

“You have French together?” Laura asked.

“Yeah mom. She’s the one I’ve been telling you about. The one that keeps me from jumping out of the window,” Stephanie said. I just laughed.

“So, how did you two meet?” Will asked Ryan, looking at me.

“She’s my Physics and Performing Arts partner,” Ryan told them, leaning back on his chair comfortably but his body language looked really nervous, and he unsuccessfully convered the quiver in his voice.

“Oh, son. You do not need to be embarrassed to introduce to us your girlfriend,” Will said to him.

“Girlfriend?” Stephanie, Jason, Ryan and I all said at the same time.

“Where’d that come from?” Ryan asked, now sitting up. Stephanie, Jason and I were on the verge of laughter.

“That’s how you introduced her to me this afternoon. You said she was your girlfriend,” Laura said, looking at him confused.

“Mom, I said goodfriend,” he said rolling his eyes.

“And how you walked in here arm in arm, and you pulled out the chair for her,” Laura defended.

He rolled his eyes yet again. “Mom, you taught me that I should pull out the chair for a girl. And I was just showing manners,” he said scratching the back of his neck, and Stephanie, Jason and I were already chuckling lightly. “Jesus Christ mom, If bring a girl to meet you, and I treat her like a gentleman, it doesn’t always mean that she’s my girlfriend,” he mumbled.

“Sorry it was just after Trisha, I just expected,” Laura said uncomfortably.

“Mom. Not now,” Ryan sighed.

“I apologize,” Laura said and sent me an apologetic smile.

“It’s alright,” I said to her.

“So, what do your parents do?” Will asked me, averting the topic.

I immediately stiffened. “They work for a company,” I told them.

“Oh? What company?” he asked with interest now.

I’m busted. Shit. “Apple,” I said not bothering to lie.

He looked at me dead in the eye and a few seconds of silence passed, then looked at Laura. He looked back at me and had a knowing smile on his lips. The first smile that I’ve seen from him. “That’s fascinating,” he finally said. I sighed and relaxed onto my seat.

That just cleared the awkward tension and formalities between us. It was funny, since it was just like my parents. They would seem intimidating at first, but after the tension has been cleared, formalities disappear and we goof off, just like a normal family.

The rest of the dinner went great. They shared stories about how nervous Ryan was when he introduced Trisha to them, and how he fought with them for being rude.

“I didn’t really like that girl, Ryan,” Laura said, sipping her wine. “She had a bad vibe,.”

“Mom, not now, please,” he growled.

“I’m just saying son, I mean, you know how careful you have to be,” she said in all seriousness.

“Mom, not. Now,” he growled this time. Does he still like her? Oh my fuck, is that jealousy washing over me? Hazelyn, calm down. Calm the fuck down.

“Est-ce que tout va bien?” Mr. Cutie asked, more directed to me. We all nodded, since we were all done with our food. The guys had cleared out their plates, and as being a healthy eater, I only ate half of my food and always take the other half home. But today, Ryan cleared out the other half for me. “Toute dessert?” he asked. [Is everything going well?/Any Dessert?]

“You guys want any dessert?” Will asked.

“Je vais avoir le Profiteroles,” Stephanie said. [I’ll get Profiteroles – Ice cream with chocolate syrup]

“And I’ll get a lemon tart,” Jason said. Fattie.

“Wanna share an Ile Flottante?” I asked Ryan. He shrugged.

“What about you Hazelyn?” Will asked.

“I think I’ll have the Ile Flottante,” I told him. He smiled and walked away. We then went back to our conversations which consisted of jokes, laughing, making fun of Jason and Ryan, and complaining about school.

The dessert arrived, and Mr. Cutie put my dessert in front of me, which was served in a martini glass, was perched on top of a small plate. At the side of the small plate was a small red rose and a note. I looked at it, and there written was ‘Mason’ and a phone number. Stephanie was stared at it, and smiled at me. My phone rang, and I quickly looked at it.

‘Phone number? ;D’ she asked.

‘Uhuh. His name’s Mason, xD’ I replied.

I looked up at the table, and put the note next to the rose. I smiled, and took a bite of my dessert. “Want some?” I asked Ryan. He just glared at me. “What?” I asked innocently.

“Go share it with your new friend,” he said taking his phone out, texting somebody, and put it back in his pocket. What the hell is up with him? He ignored me the rest of the dinner.

We drove back to the mansion and he didn’t let me drive this time. He immediately sat down on the driver’s side, and I was, in fact scared, to argue with him. He was going about 120 mph, dodging cars, and drifting the turns. I wanted to scoff and complain, but then again I was scared.

“Are you really mad?” I asked weakly.

“Mad?” he asked, his hands gripping onto the steering wheel.

“Yeah, you’re going 120mph, you seem like you’re racing, and you’ve been ignoring me,” I sighed.

“Oh, I’m not mad at all. I'm actually happy that you’re flirting with a waiter,” he grumbled.

“Are you serious?” I laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” he asked, glancing at me.

“Keep your eyes on the road, Dolciani,” I told him. “And because. I just thought he was cute. I wasn't flirting with him,” I rolled my eyes.

“You were undressing each other with your eyes!” he yelled. “Whatever. You’re like a prostitute, so easy to get” he grumbled. “I bet you you’re gonna go call him tonight,” he laughed dryly.

“Oh fuck no. You did not just call me easy. Are you really serious right now, Ryan?” I scoffed at his lowness. “You know what? I will call him tonight, and then I’m gonna invite him over to my house, to have loud, hard, dirty sex, because I’m a prostitute” I growled sarcastically.

“Then go! As if I care!” he shouted back, and I got out of the car, since we were back in the mansion’s huge garage.

“You’re just so damn pissed that you can’t get an easy prositute like me to fall at your feet!” I spat.

“What are you two yelling about?” Stephanie asked, stepping out of the Lambo.

“Nothing. She’s gonna go home now, and she’s going to go call that guy from the restaurant so she can go flirt endlessly with him. And maybe flirt without any clothes on,” Ryan growled and walked out of the garage.

“What’s up his ass?” Stephanie asked laughing.

“He called me easy and that I was like a prostitute,” I growled.

“That fucker,” she growled. “I’m sorry, he’s such a jerk sometimes,” she apologized.

I scoffed. “Sometimes?”

“Okay, most of the time,” she corrected with a small smile. “Let’s go get you changed,” she said, pulling me towards the house. We went into her room, and I changed into my clothes and handed her back the dress. She shook her head at me. “Keep it,” she grinned. “I don’t think anyone can look better in that dress than you,” she smirked.

“Thanks,” I told her with a laugh.

“You’re welcome,” she smiled. “So, are you sleeping over?” she asked. I shook my head, and she frowned.

“I should get home now,” I told her. “Say thanks to your parents for me.”

“Alright,” she frowned. “I’ll walk you back to the garage. Your car is there,” she said. I nodded and followed her back uphill and to the garage. She handed me my keys. “Drive safe,” she said and gave me a hug. “I’m gonna go beat up my ass of a brother,” she half smiled.

“Thanks,” I smiled at her.

I got in my car, set up my navigator to the house though I knew that I’d just drive aimlessly around, and backed out of the parking space and waved at Stephanie. I then sped out of their compound. I didn’t know where to go off to, so I decided to go off to Santa Monica pier. I knew it was late, but the beach always calms me. I remembered that I was in Beverly hills already, so I decided to just visit my brothers.

I was in front of the gate, when I called up for them to open the gate. I drove in, and parked in the garage downstairs, then walked

“What’s up brothers?!” I yelled, walking straight to the living room where I heard guns firing. They both mumbled a ‘sup,’ and I sat on the other side of the couch. I looked at the screen and they were playing Call Of Duty: Black Ops. “Seriously guys?” I said rolling my eyes. I already finished all 3 levels of the game after 2 weeks that it came out.

Tristan paused the game. “What’s up?” he asked.

“Can I not drop by, and say hello to my brothers?” I asked. He rolled his eyes at me.

“Jason called and said you were with Ryan,” he told me.

“Uhm.. yeah,” I answered lamely.

“Are you two like…” he started.

“Hell no,” I said immediately. “Are you crazy?” I asked absurdly.

“Kind of, but that runs in the family,” he smirked.

“Anyways, what’re you doing here?” Nate finally spoke up.

I sighed. “Can I stay here tonight?”

“It’s a school night,” Nate said.

“But, I’m gonna be home alone,” I said, giving him the puppy eyes.

“What’s wrong? You were fine with it,” he said.

Tristan smacked him. “I told you earlier! She almost get raped, remember?!”

Nate’s eyes grew wide, and he rushed beside me. “Are you okay? What happened? Fuck!” he grumbled. “Stay here tonight then,” he said. “I’ll go set up your room,” he said and stood up, running up the stairs. My phone vibrated, and I received a text from Stephanie.

‘Where’re you now?’

I replied with ‘Santa Monica Pier’

“Why so suddenly drive here?” Tristan asked, raising an eyebrow at me. He read me better than anybody else. I looked up at him, and sighed.

“I went to dinner with the Dolciani family,” I said.

“Like with Laura and Will?” he asked I nodded. “Cool folks, aren’t they?” he chuckled. I nodded. “So, what happened?”

“Well, there was this waiter at Bouchon and he was kind of eyeing me and stuff. Then he put in a rose and a note that had a his name and phone number on it with dessert, and then Ryan started being bitchy,” I grumbled. “He said that I was like a prostitute, so easy to get. And bet that I was gonna call Mason up tonight. So I said I was going to, and invite him to have hot, loud, dirty sex,” I chuckled.

Tristan laughed. “Seriously?!” he asked. I nodded. “Wait, Mason?” he asked. I nodded again. “Does he have like, dark brown hair, tall, and looks very French?” he asked. I nodded again. “He’s cool, actually,” he chuckled.

“You know him?” I asked, then looked at him. “Right. You know everybody,” I said rolling my eyes.

“Though, as your brother, I’d beat that guy’s ass for hitting on you,” he grumbled.

“Relax man,” I laughed.

“Well, go to sleep. You had a long day,” he said.

“Actually, I’m gonna take the F430 for a spin,” I said standing up.

“It’s late. California has laws, Hazelyn,” he sighed.

“Relax, I’ll be fine,” I told him and took the key from the garage, then walked towards the back where the cars were parked. I looked around for the yellow Ferrari and got in, driving out of the compound.

I went towards Santa Monica, driving at 150mph trying to push it to 194, it’s top speed. I slowed down when coming to the city, knowing there will be police officers everywhere. I got to the pier, and parked my car in the shadows. Considering it was still around 9pm, lights were still on and teenagers were still around. No kids though, since they have their bedtimes. I never had a bed time, since I lived with my brothers, and my parents were always in a business trip.

I went towards the deck and bought cotton candy. “Shit,” I cursed under my breath, since it was so cold and I forgot my jacket. Damn it. I walked towards the end of the pier when I bumped into somebody. “I am so sorry,” I mumbled.

“Hazelyn?” the voice asked.

“Oh, hey Kyle,” I blushed.

“Hey, what’re you doing here?” he asked me, then looked around. “Alone?”

“I needed some time to think,” I smiled.

“You should do your thinking with somebody,” he told me. “You know they haven’t gotten Gabriel yet,” he told me. I nodded.

“I’m safe enough here,” I said, looking around the place. “Plus, I'm not staying long,” I told him. He nodded. “What are you doing here?” I asked him.

“My little cousins wanted to get some food,” he frowned. “And the eldest is 16, and can’t have passengers under 20,” he grimaced. “So, here I am, driving them around, at 9pm,” he laughed. I laughed with him. “Though, it did have a good outcome, I saw you,” he smiled at me. I blushed and looked away. He grabbed my chin and made me face him. “Remember what I said about looking away?” he asked. I smiled and rolled my eyes. “More like it,” he laughed, then looked from my eyes to my lips. Is he going to…?

“Kyle!” a few teenagers shouted, and we looked towards the direction. I guess not.

“Duty calls,” he sighed and let go of my chin. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he smiled at me. I nodded at him and he kissed my cheek, then jogged towards the group of girls, all poking him and looking back at me. I kept walking towards the end of the pier, and just stared at the water. I didn’t mind how cold it was, I actually liked it. When I was close to being in pure bliss, it was ruined.

“Coincidence seeing you here,” a voice said. I grinded my teeth together before looking back.