Sequel: Endlessly

The Square Root

Beautiful Stranger

“Hazelyn. You need to eat so you can take your medicine,” I heard somebody say. I slowly opened my eyes and the room seemed very bright. The sun was shining and the blinds were opened. I squinted because of the bright rays, looking at who was talking. I felt something on my forehead and reached up to get it. It was a warm wet towel. Ryan took it from me and set the table in front of me again - just like yesterday. I was just inspecting the soup and stared at the sandwich.

“I don’t feel like eating,” I told him honestly.

“You have to eat,” he said. “You look like you haven’t eaten in weeks Hazelyn,” he said worried.

“I’m fine,” I told him.

“No, eat. You have to take the medicine,” he said - his voice firm, and knowing nothing I say would make him change his mind. I did as told, and started eating what was on the plate. He just sat there, looking at me.

“Can you not stare at me? I’m getting self conscious,” I mumbled.

He just laughed. “Keep eating,” he said. “I’ll be back in a little bit. I'm gonna go get your medicine,” he said and got off the bed. I saw him walk away, and he was wearing basketball shorts and a gray Vneck. I looked at how at home he seemed, and how the muscles on his back seemed to– HAZELYN! SHUT UP! He came back, and I was finished with my meal. “Here,” he said handing me a pill - same as the pill that he gave me last night - and handed me a glass of water.

“I feel better now,” I told him.

“No you don’t,” he frowned.

“Honestly,” I defended.

“You sure?” he asked worried.

I smiled at him and nodded. “I think the weather was just getting to me.”

He nodded. “Go take a shower. It might help lower your temperature,” he said walking out of the room with the table and its contents. I went and took a shower in cooler water then got dressed in shorts and a plain shirt and walked out of my room. I heard music playing in the other room, so I went in there and saw Ryan sitting on a stool, playing the guitar.

I took the other stool, dragged it in front of him and just watched him. “What?” he chuckled.

“Play something,” I said.

He shook his head at me and laughed. “Prepare to be blown away beautiful,” he winked before started making a nice beat on the pear-shaped body of my guitar.

Yeah yeah, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah

ooh it's somethin' about
Just somethin about the way she move
I cant figure it out
there's somethin about her

said ooh its somethin about
kinda woman that want you but dont need you
hey i cant figure it out
there's something about her

cause she walk like a boss
talk like a boss
manicured nails to set the pedicure off
shes fly effortlessly

and she move like a boss
do what a boss do
she got me thinkin about getting involved
thats the kinda girl i need oh

she got her own thing
thats why i love her
miss independent
wont you come and spend a little time?

she got her own thing
thats why i love her
miss independent
ooh the way we shine
miss independent yeah

Yeah yeah, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah, oh

ooh there's somethin about
kinda woman that can do for herself
i look at her and it makes me proud
theres somethin about her

theres somethin oh so sexy about
kinda woman that dont even need my help
she said she got it she got it no doubt
there's something about her

cause she work like a boss play like a boss
car and a crib she bout to pay em both off
and her bills are paid on time

she made for a boss, only a boss
anything less she tellin them to get lost
thats the girl thats on my mind

she got her own thing
thats why i love her
miss independent
wont you come and spend a little time?

she got her own thing
thats why i love her
miss independent
ooh the way we shine
miss independent yeah

mmm her favorite thing to say
dont worry i got it
mmm and everything she got
best believe she bought it

mmm she gon' steal my heart
aint no doubt about it
girl you're everything i need
said you're everything i need

yeah yeah
yeah yeah, yeah yeah
yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah, oh

she got her own thing
thats why i love her
miss independent
wont you come and spend a little time?

she got her own thing
thats why i love her
miss independent
ooh the way we shine
miss independent yeah

miss independent
thats why i love her


“Miss Independent,” I laughed.. “Did Trisha hear it?” He looked at me, raising an eyebrow. “It’s for Trisha right?” I asked.

“Right,” he said with furrowed eyebrows and put the guitar down. “How’re you feeling?” he asked me.

“Better,” I told him. “Another song would make me feel awesome though,” I grinned.

He rolled his eyes at me. “Fine,” he pouted. He started to make beautiful music on the guitar again.

You make my heart beat faster

You're so delicious
you're so soft
sweet on the tip of my tongue
you taste like sunlight
and strawberry bubble gum

you bite my lip
you spike my blood
you make my heart beat faster

own me, you own
you rattle my bones
you turn me over and over
'till I can't control myself
make me a liar
one big disaster
you make my heart beat faster


I stared at him with a smile. The way that he held and played the guitar was natural. And his voice, oh his voice was like a voice of an angel. His boyish charm was even more stronger, along with his raspy voice that hit each note perfectly.

“Hello!” I heard and snapped out of my trance. “Was I that good?” he teased.

“Go away,” I laughed, standing up and was about to walk out of the room.

“You’re feeling well right?” he asked me again.

“Yeah,” I smiled. “Thanks.”

“Good, because my mom wanted you to go to my dad’s birthday tonight,” he said quickly

“What?! Tonight?! You’re fucking kidding, Ryan!” I squeaked.

“No kidding,” he mumbled.

“Oh fuck, what time? I don’t have a gift! Shit!” I groaned.

“You don’t need one. They just want you to accept the invitation. But we can not show up because I told my mom that you’re sick,” he said, shrugging.

“I don’t lie Ryan,” I glared.

“You don’t, but I do,” he chuckled.

“Damn it. We’re gonna go present shopping,” I said walking to my room and looked online for a good gift. Ryan followed after me. “Is it formal?” I asked.

“Yup,” he said, sitting next to me.

“How formal?”

“Just formal,” he shrugged.

“Good,” I mumble. I don’t have any night gowns here and I doubt this guy would let me out of his sight. I grabbed my wallet and phone, walking out of the house.

“You should get changed. I don’t think I’d want you walking around in that,” he said before I walked out the door. I looked down on my outfit, and grimaced.

“What? Jealous that guys might hit on me?” I joked winking at him

“Maybe,” he smirked. “Where are we off to?” he asked opening his Porsche.

“Beverly Hills,” I said and he nodded - driving off. We got there in 20 minutes and I immediately went to Cartier. What would I get for my dad? I’d get him cufflinks or a pen. I’m so boring, but it’s something they could actually use for work.

“You really don’t need to Hazelyn,” Ryan said, trying to stop me.

“Ryan, can you go get my phone from the car?” I asked him with my puppy eyes.

“You left it?”. I nodded. “Okay, I’ll be back,” he said

“Excuse me, can I take a look at that pen?” I said to the lady pointing at the gold plated pen that looked like a jaguar. She nodded and took it out.

“Please be careful with it,” she told me. I slowly took it off it’s original place, and took a look at it. “It’s our top of the line,” she said to me.

“I’ll take it,” I said with no hesitation. I don’t know why, but his parents could be working with mine and as a Macintosh, I have to do my best to impress them.

“Are you sure, ma’am?” the lady croaked. I nodded. She nodded and told me to follow her. We went to the register, and she made the receipt by hand, and of course, I bought insurance for it. It was worth a new car. “It’s 26,000 all in all ma’am” she said to me. I handed her my credit card. “It was… Accepted,” she said, looking at me oddly.

“Can you get this wrapped?” I asked her. She nodded and went to retrieve a box or something and Ryan came back. Perfect timing.

“Your phone wasn't there,” he told me

“Oh sorry. I just realized it was in my pocket,” I told him. He rolled his eyes at me.

“Here you go, Miss Ma-,” the lady paused as I gave her a look. “Miss Hazelyn,” she said with a smile, and I gave her one back. She gave me a small paperbag I said thanks and walked out of the store.

“What did you get?” he asked.

“A pen,” I told him.

“Oh…,” he said. “Can I see it?”

“Nope,” I said and got in the car.

“You wanna just buy some clothes for the party? Since we’re here anyways?” he asked.

“Nope,” I said and closed my door. He got in on his side of the car and we drove back to Santa Monica. “Where’s the party gonna be?” I asked.

“We have a place at the bottom of the hill for parties,” he said.

“There’s more of that place?” I asked, shaking my head.

“Yeah, it’s like 10 hectares,” he said.

“Man, I’d get lost there,” I whispered.

“I have to take you to the maze one day,” he told me - going through his ipod that was docked in front of him.

“So, how many people are gonna be there?” I asked.

“A lot,” he said. Damn it. I just hope I don’t know any of them. We got back to my house and I took a shower. “It doesn’t start until like, in 2 hours,” he told me.

“Yeah but I have to take a shower, do my hair, get dressed, and then you have to take a shower and get dressed,” I told him, rolling my eyes. “You should go pick up Trisha already. I’ll just drive,” I told him.

“Who said Trisha was going?” he asked, confused.

“Your girlfriend should be invited to these things Ryan,” I said in a duh tone.

“Oh right,” he said. “I’m not letting you drive yet.”

“I can drive just fine,” I told him. “Now go,” I said pushing him out.

“I’ll go later, I'm gonna see what you’re wearing first,” he frowned. I rolled my eyes and ran up the stairs to get ready. I was in the middle of doing my hair when my phone rang.

‘We’re back in town –Tristan’ I just replied a ‘Good’.

~~Ryan POV~~

I really didn’t think of inviting Trisha. Fuck, I almost forgot. I took out my phone and speed dialed her. “Hello?” she answered. She’s mad. Great.

“I’m so sorry Trish. I forgot to call last night. Hazelyn got sick,” I said to her.

She sighed. “Hazelyn again?” she mumbled. “It’s fine. What are you doing tonight?” she asked.

Should I tell her? Why am I so scared to tell her? “I was wondering if you wanted to go to a party.” DAMN.

“What party? You know I’m not a party type babe,” she sighed.

“It’s okay if you don’t. I understand. It’s my dad’s birthday,” I told her.

“Fine. For you,” she sighed. “Formal?”

“As always,” I said.

“Do you want me to meet you there or what?” she asked.

“I’ll pick you up,” I said.

“Okay. Give me an hour,” she said. “Bye, love you” she said.

“Bye.”

Over the past few weeks that I’ve spent with her, some things were just different. She made me feel on top of the world, yeah. She made me feel special, yeah. She made me feel different, yeah. But there was something missing, and I couldn’t point it out. I'm happy everytime I’m with her, I like it when we kiss, when we hug, when we’re in each other’s arms … But she changed somehow. I don’t get the same butterflies that I used to get anymore.

She’s become friends with the cheerleaders and she tried out… I don’t think I like it. She still has the nerd aura around her but cheerleading is just not her. I don’t know, maybe over the past few years some things chaged. But like always, I shrugged it off.

I saw that the gift Hazelyn got was on the counter, so I decided to snoop and look at it. I still heard the shower running, so it would be fine. I opened it and took out the box, then the a piece of paper fell out. I looked at at it, and it had “Hazelyn DeLuca Macintosh” and then the price. HOLY FUCK. 26 grand?! For a pen? Damn. I heard the shower turn off and I quickly put everything back inside but kept the receipt. I’m not letting her pay for this. No way in hell. But first of all, where’d she get the money?

I waited for a few minutes before walking upstairs.

~~Hazelyn POV~~

I heard a knock on the door. “Hold on,” I called out, looking for something to wear, since I was only wearing really short shorts and a tank top. I quickly grabbed my sweats and pulled an over sized tee over my head. “Okay,” I said.

Ryan walked in, his hands in his pockets. “I’m gonna go pick Trisha up. You want me to come by later or do you wanna drive there?”

“I’ll drive,” I told him, not wanting to bother him and Trisha

“Okay. I’ll see you then,” he said, then turned back walking out. “Oh, and here,” he said throwing me a 3x2 inch remote. “Gate opener,” he said and walked off. Why would he give me a gate opener to their mansion? I rolled my eyes and continued doing my hair.

I decided to put my curled hair in a messy bun, then picked out a bright baby blue mini dress, then Gianvito Rossi ankle strap heels that wrap around my ankles. I put on a gunmetal colored multichain necklace, with gunmetal flower earrings that matched with it. I just put on light blush, and some light tinted lipgloss, and sprinkled some blue glitters on my eyelids, then curled my lashes. I’m not a big fan of make up. I then put on the charm bracelet that Ryan gave me, which I still have to find out if he gave me the charm. I put on a black guess watch, and grabbed a clutch. UGH. And stuffed my phone and wallet in there, and as well as the gate opener.

I grabbed the gift, and my keys to the civic, and decided that I needed to arrive with style, so I went to the mansion first. Nobody was home yet, so I just changed cars, switching to the Mercedes Benz E550 Convertible. I drove over to the Dolciani’s and the gate was already open. I saw the lights at the bottom of the hill. I guess it started already.

I went up the hill, where the usually empty clearing was full of cars. I drove to the front of the garage, trying the remote to open it, and it worked! I drove in and parked at the very end, near the door. I got out and slipped on my shoes, taking my stuff with me and walked to the main mansion.

Everything was in hysterics. People were running around, taking care of stuff. The kitchen was busy and there were people walking around and talking all around the place. I went up to Stephanie’s room and knocked. When she confirmed that I could come in, I walked in and for a second, she looked at me like she didn’t know me then her eyes widened. “Hazelyn?” she squealed.

“Yeah?” I said uneasily.

“How are you? My brother said you were sick! Oh my goodness, are you okay? You didn’t have to come you know,” she started blabbing. “My brother was freaking out last night and my brother barely freaks out, are you-“

I cut her off. “Relax, will you? I’m fine,” I said sitting on her bed.

“You look fioneeee,” she winked.

I chuckled. “Yeah, well, your brother told me about this only three hours ago,” I frowned.

“Wow,” she said. There was a knock at the door. “Come in,” she called out. The door opened and revealed the girl that I saw the first time I came here.

“Somebody’s asking for you,” she said.

“You can bring them up here Stells,” Stephanie smiled. The girl nodded and closed the door.

“So, what did you do that my brother was so freaked?” she chuckled.

“He came by pissed of because I supposedly ‘ignored’ him,” I said doing the airquotes. “He’s the one that didn’t talk to me!” I told her.

She chuckled. “He came home complaining about how much of a bitch you were Sunday night, and then Monday he said you were annoying, and Tuesday, he started mumbling about you not answering his calls then Wednesday and Thursday he was going on and on about what shit you could be doing,” she laughed. “You’ve got my brother going insane Hazelyn,” she laughed. There was another knock on the door. “Come in!” Stephanie called out.

“I’m gonna go check how I look,” I said walking to her closet and fixed my hair. I heard the door open and a familiar voice was heard. I walked out and they both just looked at me. My brother looked at me, and raised an eyebrow.

“You have a new friend?” he asked Stephanie. She just smacked him.

“That’s your sister dumbass,” she laughed. His eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

“Hazelyn?”

“The one and only,” I smiled at him.

“Wow you look different. You should look like that more often and maybe you’d get a boyfriend,” he said. Stephanie smacked him again. “Ow! I’m just saying! God!” he defended and grabbed her by the waist and kissing her on the cheek.

“Ew. This is gross,” I said, covering my eyes. “Not in front of the little sister, please?” I pleaded.

“Shut up,” Tristan said, and was about to touch my hair when he pulled back. “Right. Don’t wanna mess up the hair,” he chuckled. “Well, you go on now. I have to talk to Stephanie,” he said pushing me out the door.

“My stuff!” I said.

“You brought a bag?” he laughed. I pouted and nodded.

“A clutch,” I corrected, pushing him away and retrieving my stuff. “Well, I’m leaving now and you can have your make out session, just make sure that you’re not covered in lipstick when you get out,” I smiled at a blushing Tristan. “You’re blushing!” I teased.

“Out!” he said and pushed me out the door.

I almost tripped, but I crashed onto the wall, opposite of the door. “You’ll pay for that bitch,” I mumbled.

“Are you okay?” somebody asked me, the girl that Stephanie called ‘Stells’ earlier.

“I’m fine. Thanks,” I said and smiled at her. “What’s your name?”

“Stella,” she smiled.

“I’m Hazelyn,” I introduced myself.

Her eyes widened. “You’re Hazelyn DeLuca?” she asked.

“Yeah..?”

“You are pretty,” she mumbled. I chuckled. “No homo,” she smiled at me. “The madame has been looking for you all night,” she told me. “Come with me please Ms. DeLuca,” she said doing a little bow.

“Puh-lease, call me Hazelyn. And no need for all that stuff,” I smiled at her, and she smiled back. “Let’s go” I said following her to the familiar hallway and stopped in front of a familiar black door. Stella knocked on it and heard Laura’s voice telling us to come in.

“Madame, Ms. DeLuca has arrived,” Stella said.

“Fantastic. Let her in,” I heard Laura say, and I did. “You look stunning, my dear,” she said giving me a hug and kissed both my cheeks. “Are you with Jr?” she asked.

“No ma’am. I drove here,” I smiled.

“Laura, my dear. You can even call me mom if you want to,” she chuckled. “No need formalities needed, remember? And how rude of my son to make you drive,” she frowned. “Take a seat,” she said motioning for me to seat on one of the comfortable seats.

“It’s really no problem. I insisted,” I smiled at her and sat down.

“Thank you for accepting the invitation,” she smiled at me.

“I’m honored to receive an invitation.”

“Of couse,” she smiled softly. “Though, I heard you were quite sick last night?”

“Yeah, I was. Stupid thunderstorms,” I muttered the last sentence under my breath. She just looked at me and chuckled. “Sorry, that was very informal,” I said.

She sighed. “You should relax around me Hazelyn,” she said giving me a warm smile.

“Thanks,” I smiled at her. “Well, I got something for Will. When should I give it to him?” I asked.

“You didn’t have to,” she frowned.

“It’s okay, really. It’s rude to come to a birthday party and not bring anything.”

“Well, we’ll have a gift opening session tonight during dinner, and I’ll have yours on the list after Jr’s,” she smiled at me.

“Sounds good.”

“Well Hazelyn, down to the party and socialize. I have to go get ready,” she said standing up.

“I’ll see you in a bit, Mrs- I mean, Laura,” I said and walking out of her office. I went over to the balcony where Ryan dragged me off the first day. I stood there, seeing the party from my spot. There were different lights and I could see there were lots of people.

“What are you doing here?” I heard a voice from the back. “Guests are to stay at the party,” he said.

“I’m sorry. I’ll be going now,” I said and turned around to see Trisha and Ryan cuddled up on one of the couches.

Ryan stood up straightening out his suit. Which he by the way looked gorgeous in. He walked around me, inspecting me very closely. “Do I know you?” he asked. I shrugged and walked away.

“Dumbass,” I mumbled and walked off towards the party.

I saw my brother and went up to him, tapping his shoulder. “Hey, Nate.”

“Do I know-?” he stopped and just like everybody’s reaction. “Hazelyn?”

I rolled my eyes. “Do I really look that different?” I asked. “My brothers don’t even recognize me!” I groaned.

“Uhm yeah,” he said. “You always have your hair up in a ponytail, or down. This is new,” he said motioning towards my entire body.

“Who’s this, Nate? Is this your girlfriend?” I heard a familiar voice from behind me.

“Hi Dad,” I smiled. He looked at me weirdly. “Great, my own father doesn’t recognize me,” I said throwing my hands up in the air.

“Hazelyn?” he asked.

“Yes dad!” I groaned. He hugged me.

“I missed you baby girl. How’ve you been? You didn’t go to New York!”

“Yeah. I was kind of sick,” I groaned.

“Are you okay now?” he asked. I nodded. “Good, and it’s good to see you here. I didn’t know you knew the Dolciani’s.”

“Who’s that hon?” my mom asked from behind him.

“Mom,” I stated.

“Hazelyn? What happened?” she asked looking at me up and down.

I sighed. “I’m friends with their kids,” I said, answering my dad’s question

“Stephanie?”

“Yeah,” I smiled. “You know them?”

“Calvin! Leslie!” Mr. Docliani said from behind them.

“How have you been, William?” my dad greeted - one hand shaking Will’s hand, another patting his shoulder.

“Getting old Calvin,” they laughed. “Well hello Leslie, how have you been?” he asked my mom, giving her a hug.

“Very well William. Happy Birthday,” my mom greeted.

“Thank you,” he smiled.

“Uncle William,” Nate grinned, shaking his hand. “Happy Birthday.”

“Nathaniel? You’ve grown by a whole lot. Literally,” he said smiling.

“Uncle William,” Tristan greeted from behind him. Great. A family reunion. I just hope that Ryan doesn’t walk in anytime soon.

“Oh Tristan, it has been awhile since I’ve seen you boy. You haven’t been visiting lately,” he said.

“Sorry,” he apologized guiltily.

“Oh good everybody’s here!” Laura beamed from behind me. “It’s nice to see you Leslie,” she said giving my mom a kiss on the cheek. “You too Calvin,” she said giving him a kiss too. “Oh how you two have grown!” she said to both my brothers, giving them hugs.

WAIT. BACK UP. REWIND. THEY KNOW EACH OTHER?

“Who’s this?” Will asked.

“I apologize for my husband’s sillyness. Will, it’s Hazelyn,” Laura said putting her arms around me.

“Oh yes. I’m sorry. I didn’t recognize you for a moment there,” Will said giving me a hug. “You raised such a beautiful daugter,” he said to my parents. I wanted to yell out ‘YEAH RIGHT!’ but then I didn’t.

“Certainly. She’s a proper little thing,” Laura added.

“Not really,” I said blushing. “But thank you.”

“Now, would you mind telling us why my son doesn’t know you’re his godparent’s daughter?” Will asked. My eyes went wide. “Yes, we’ve known, since that dinner,” he laughed.

“I uhm..,” everybody looked at me, waiting for some legit excuse but I couldn’t come up with one. “Please don’t tell him,” I frowned.

“You’re gonna have to tell them one way or another,” Laura said to be solemnly.

“I will…,” I said. “Just not now,” I frowned.

“Hey everyone!” Stephanie saved me. I let out a sigh of relief. She came into the group and gave everyone hugs. “Nate, you’re tall. I don’t like you,” she frowned and gave both my parents hugs. “Aunt Leslie, Uncle Calvin. It’s always nice to see you,” she smiled at them.

“Likewise,” my dad said.

She then went over to Tristan, who wrapped his arms around her shoulders. She looked up at him and they smiled at each other. “Is there something you want to tell us, Stephanie?” Laura chuckled.

They both blushed. “Uhm.. Mom.. Tristan and I are kind of.. together,” she said slowly. Everyone’s face - including mine - showed surprise.

“That’s wonderful!” my mom boomed, breaking the silence.

“That’s another thing to celebrate tonight!” Will announced. “Now, let’s get this party started, eh?” he asked trying to be hip. All us youngsters ended up laughing. They all walked towards the stage, leaving Stephanie and I standing there.

“My brother’s asking if I knew that girl in the blue,” Stephanie said to me, giggling. I gave her a curious look. “Said she looked pretty, and was bitchy.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh well,” I shrugged.

Do I really look that different?
♠ ♠ ♠
Pen