Sequel: Endlessly

The Square Root

Let Me Catch You

“Now that Ryan knows,” Tristan said as we were eating dinner. “I can do this,” he said standing up, and made his way to Ryan. “Stand up,” he told him. Ryan gave me a weird look and I shrugged. He stood up in front of Tristan, who was the same height as him.

Tristan grabbed him by the shirt, and glared. “I don’t care if you’re my girlfriend’s twin brother and I don’t care that you and my sister are just bestfriends, but I see a tear run down her perfect little cheek and its because of you, I’ll murder you,” he growled.

“Tristan!” I snapped.

Tristan let go of Ryan’s shirt. “Remember that,” he glared. “Got it?” I saw Ryan gulp and nod. “Good, then we’re in good terms,” he said and patted his back, walking back to his seat and we started eating again. Though I can't say it wasn't awkward.

After we had dinner, everyone went upstairs to pack. I finished mine already, so I decided to take a walk outside. I was in the middle of the garden when somebody wrapped their arms around my waist and telling by the familiar scent, I knew it was my bestfriend. I should be happy right? But no, what if I wanna be more than friends?

I sighed and turned to him. “Hi,” I said softly.

“Hi,” he grinned.

“What’re you doing out here?” I asked.

“Looking for you,” he said quietly.

“Oh…,” I blushed.

“Mind giving me a tour?” he asked me.

“Nope,” I smiled as I gave him a tour of the whole garden and then the garage where all my European cars were stored, then all the rooms in the mansion. We then ended up talking about other random stuff and chasing each other around, ended up right back to the garden.

We were in front of where the dasies were. Ryan picked a white one, and he put it behind my ear. “Perfection,” he laughed.

I just stared at him. “Hazelyn Mae!” I heard a voice call for me.

“What do you want Chance?!” I yelled back and Ryan stepped back. “Sorry,” I mumbled.

Chance rounded the corner and gave me an apologetic look as he saw who was with me. “Your parents are here,” he frowned.

“What?!” I yelled.

“They just got in and they wanna see you,” he said.

“Be there in a few,” I said and looked at Ryan. “I guess out tour ends here,” I said. He just smiled back at me. “Let’s go?” I asked and he nodded as we made our way back to the house.

“What’s your favorite flower?” he asked me.

“Daisies,” I told him.

“Purity and perfect love,” he told me. I looked at him with my eyebrows furrowed.

“H-how?”

“It’s my favorite flower too,” he shrugged.

“Charming,” I grinned.

“Yes you are,” he laughed.

“Are you flirting with me, Dolciani?” I teased.

“No, just letting you know the truth,” he winked.

“Oh please, you’re such a player,” I laughed at him.

“I know,” he grinned and laced our fingers together. It gave me an electric shock, which made us both pull away. “Sorry,” he muttered and took hold of my hand again, this time successfully. I was shocked that he felt that too.

Samantha walked out of their balcony, making me take my hand away from his, but he didn’t let go. “She doesn’t mind, she knows that you’re my bestfriend,” he said to me.

“That’s good.” Well shit. Can she get even more perfect? She’s confident and she trusts this player? I’m no match for that. What am I thinking? Competing against her? Yeah right. I sighed to myself.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, just a bit nervous. I kind of ran off from my parents,” I said to him.

“What a rebel,” he grinned.

“Says the jock that has a lip piercing and wearing skinny jeans,” I scoffed.

“Touché,” he laughed and we walked through the front door - into the living room where my mom was seated gracefully with dad on her right side, and Tristan and Stephanie on the other couch.

“Hazelyn!” she grinned and made her way to us, then froze when she saw Ryan’s and my hand laced together. Her grin grew wider. “Finally!” she squealed and hugged us both.

“Uh, mom, you okay?” I asked.

“You guys are finally together! I knew it would happen!” she said, stepping away from us. Ryan and I retracted our hands.

“No,” we both said in unison. “We’re not,” we said again. My mom frowned.

“Uhh, yeah. We’re not,” Ryan said uneasily. Sadly we’re not.

“Why the hell not?” Jeremy asked from behind me, with everyone else following him.

“Because,” I glared at him. “Because we’re just bestfriends,” I muttered.

“Yeah. And I kind of have a girlfriend,” he said and Sam walked over to him, as he uneasily put his arms around her. “Leslie this is Samantha, Samantha, this is Hazelyn’s mom, Leslie,” he introduced.

“Nice to meet you, ma’am,” she said and held out a hand. My mom looked at it and shook it uneasily.

I shot her a look to be nice. “Likewise,” she said. “Well, good to see everyone here.”

“Chance, you’re as handsome as always,” she said as Chance came up to her.

“What about me auntie?” Trace asked, giving her a hug.

“And me,” Aaron laughed and gave her a hug too.

My mom rolled her brown eyes. “Of course, all you boys are just amazingly good looking. Any of you courting my daughter?” she laughed at her joke.

“Not funny mother,” I mumbled.

“You know I’m kidding,” she laughed. “And these girls keep getting even more beautiful everytime I see them,” she said hugging all 3 of them at the same time.

“You too auntie,” they laughed.

“And who’s this lovely young man?” my mom eyed Kyle.

“OH that’s one of my friends from California, Kyle,” I smiled. He walked over to us, and shook my mom’s hand.

“Now I see where Hazelyn gets her beauty from.” And Kyle turns on his charm.

“Hey!” Tristan called out. “Hit on my sister, just don’t hit on my mom!” he shuddered.

My dad smacked him behind the head. “Hit on my wife, not on my daughter, don’t listen to this douche,” my dad grumbled.

I was taken aback. “When did my parents start being cool?” I asked. Everyone started laughing.

“Is this lovely young man courting my beautiful daughter?” she asked.

“No ma’am. Just friends,” Kyle laughed lightly.

“What a pity,” she frowned. “Well, we came to announce, that the new product for Apple Inc. has been approved by the board thanks to Hazelyn’s presentation in New York 2 days ago,” she said smiling.

“Should we celebrate?” Tristan asked.

“No,” I mumbled.

“Let’s go!” Ryan shouted.

“Ry,” I pouted.

“Fine,” he sighed.

“We’re flying to France tomorrow at 10, so I think we need our sleep,” I argued.

“She has a point,” Stephanie spoke up.

“Thank you,” I smiled at her.

“Okay, you kids go on up then, we’ll be leaving in the morning as well,” my dad said. We all nodded. “No funny business up there, you hear?”

“He’s serious,” Tristan glared. “Stay in your rooms, don’t even think about letting those bowchicawowows out of your pants,” he glared.

“Yeah yeah yeah,” I mumbled and walked up the stairs in to my room. I had all my bags packed already, and just had tonight’s clothes out. All the girls walked into the room, and sat around the bed.

“Spill it!” Stephanie squealed.

“What?”

“You and Ryan or Jay or Jr or whatever!” Kaleigh squealed.

“Shut up! You better be thankful these rooms are soundproof!” I scolded.

“So, tell us! That was most definitely an almost kiss earlier,” Maeghan giggled.

“It was just acting,” I shrugged. Right?

“No it wasn't. You guys had that crazy look in your eyes, and you both blushed when we tumbled out of the closet,” Melissa giggled.

“Which by the way is your brother’s fault, because he said ‘no guy is gonna be planting his lips on my sister,’ and pushed the door open,” Stephanie said with a faux deep tone, imitating my brother.

“Freaking A,” I mumbled.

“Ha! So you did want him to!” Kaleigh pointed out.

“What kind of statement is that?” I asked

“A fact,” Melissa smirked.

“Shut up,” I mumbled and put my face in my hands.

“I think somebody’s here to pick you up,” Maeghan giggled. I gave her a weird look and she pointed to the balcony doors. Ryan was waving at me. I raised an eyebrow at him and he motioned for me to go over there. I gave the girls a weird look, and they ushered me forward. I rolled my eyes at them, and stood up - opening the balcony doors, the cold wind hitting me and made me shiver.

“Hey gorgeous,” he winked at me. “Wanna run away with me?”

“You’re a dork,” I laughed and closed the door behind me. “What are you doing on my balcony and how did you get here?” I asked.

“Our room is above yours. I just climbed down,” he laughed.

“Stalker,” I grumbled.

“I like watching you sleep, can you blame me?”

“Yes, because you’re a stalker.”

“Grab your shoes,” he said. I gave him a weird look. “Come on, trust me,” he laughed. I rolled my eyes and was about to go inside but Kaleigh already handed me socks and shoes. I rolled my eyes at her and sat down on one of the small couches.

“Why didn’t you just go through the front?” I asked him while tying my shoes.

“Your parents’ door is in front of mine and your dad has been walking around the halls,” he frowned.

“And?”

“You think he’d just let me take you out at midnight?” he asked.

“Uhh, yes?” I laughed at him.

“Well, just go along with it okay? Be a little more spontaneous, will you?” he chuckled. “Plus, it gets my adrenaline going,” he said rubbing his hands together.

“You are officially my weirdest dork,” I laughed and stood up. Then remembered something. “What about your girlfriend?” I asked. She seems to be very reserved and I haven’t really spent much time with her. I haven’t talked to her either. What the heck?

“Sleeping,” he shrugged.

“Don’t you think she’d think you’re cheating?”

“I’ll just tell her I'm with you, no biggie.”

“Uhh.. You’re ‘running away’,” I said doing the air quotes. “With a female bestfriend. In the middle of the night. Don’t you think she’d say something?” I broke it down for him.

“No. Because technically, we’re not doing anything wrong, and I’m not cheating on her,” he shrugged.

“Technically? You have a weird ass girlfriend,” I mumbled. “So, where are we off to?” I asked him.

“We have to get down there first,” he said, pointing to the ground.

“I’ll go take the stairs,” I said uneasily and tried to open the balcony door, but the girls locked it, and smiled sheepishly at me. “Open the damn door,” I banged on it. Stephanie cupped her hands around her ears, laughing. “Fuck soundproof rooms. This is a conspiracy!” I growled. They started walking away, towards the door to exit my room. “Open the damn door!” I shouted.

“Can you be quiet? We might get caught!” Ryan put a hand over my mouth.

“Now you’re scared to get caught?” I crossed my arms.

“I’m scared of your dad, okay? And don’t forget your brother,” he shuddered. “I was about to pass out earlier. I never knew Tristan could be so menacing,” he shuddered again.

I smirked. “I can just scream and he might be right around the corner, and come rescue me,” I smirked at him.

“You wouldn’t,” he glared.

“Wanna see?” I opened my mouth to scream when he grinned sheepishly.

“If you do scream, you look like you’re ready to go and he might start thinking that you were going along with it, which gets us both in trouble,” he smirked.

I glared at him. “Well, Mr. Spontaneous, how are we getting down there?”

“Using those,” he said pointing to the trellis.

“No!”

“Yes! Come on! Get some adrenaline going in that hot body of yours,” he winked.

“Ugh! I do not know how your girlfriend puts up with you,” I mumbled.

“I’ll go first, just in case you fall,” he said and started to go down.

“Don’t say that!” I mumbled.

“Just making sure, Geez,” he mumbled and hoped down. “Your turn,” he whisper-yelled.

“Now you decide to whisper, when we’ve been yelling out here for the past 20 minutes?” I laughed.

He rolled his eyes and motioned for me to come down. I looked at the vines oddly and climbed over the balcony then strategically climbed down. I was doing well, until I grabbed onto a vine, which snapped and I started to fall. I yelped and waited for the pain, but Ryan caught me.

“Told you I’d catch you,” he winked and put me down. “You could fall from the sky, you could fall off your balcony, but the best way to fall baby, is in love with me,” he grinned.

“You are so cheesy,” I laughed and straightened my clothes out. “Thanks by the way.”

“Anytime,” he winked. “Let’s go,” he said and pulled me into the garden.