Status: In Progress

Unrequited Love

Interesting

Before Godric even had the chance to stand up Charlotte dropped her bag to the floor and charged herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. She could feel him laughing, and only held tighter.

She was aware of the people staring at her and Godric, but there wasn’t an ounce of her that was embarrassed. After a minute or two in her grasp Godric went to pull away from the hug but Charlotte pulled him closer. “Not yet,” she mumbled into his shoulder.

“Did you really miss me that much?” he asked, slowly curling the ends of her hair with his fingers. She only nodded into him, but then pulled away remembering that he had just came back from being kidnapped.

“Are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?” She lifted his arms looking around his body as if she were going to find a stake sticking out of him somewhere.

“Charlotte.”

“Did you eat? You do look especially pale.” She ran a hand over his cheek and frowned at how cold he was; if he had eaten he would’ve been just a bit warmer.

“Charlotte.”

She missed the stern tone in his voice and continued questioning. “Do you know who kidnapped you? I can’t believe this happened, it’s just...” She raised her hands to her face and shook her head in worry. She didn’t feel nearly as troubled on the plane ride but when she came face to face with him, she felt as though she were going to lose him at any moment.

“Charlotte!”

She looked up at Godric, “Huh?”

He almost laughed at how clueless she looked, he opened his arms out to her again and she complied rushing into him again. “I’m fine, Charlie. Better than ever.” She hardly believed him, but accepted that answer for now.

Remembering what she originally had in mind when she was standing in line, she placed both of her hands on either side of Godric’s neck near the base of his head and concentrated. Images of him in the basement of the church flashed through her mind, him saving a blond girl, and him facing all those people ready to kill him.

But it was the most recent of his thoughts that scared her most; he wanted to end it all.

She pulled away from him, now eye to eye with the vampire. He knew what she had done, what she had saw and he really had no explanation to give her.

“Godric.”

Both Charlotte and Godric turned to see a tall blue-eyed man staring down at them.

Godric nodded, encouraging him to continue.

“Hugo has been dispatched.”

“Thank you Eric.”

Expecting that Eric would leave, Charlotte turned back to Godric, “You weren’t seriously considering that as an option were you?” Godric knew what she was talking about, but with Eric standing right there this was the last thing he wanted to address.

All three of them turned toward the main room at the sound of broken glass. “If you’ll please excuse me,” Godric mumbled while quickly making his way toward the yelling.

Charlotte stood watching after him in silence, until Eric spoke to her.

“What are you to Godric?”

There was something in his voice she couldn’t place.

“I’m an old friend.” She answered before following where Godric had gone. Charlotte had only taken three steps until Eric was in front of her.

He said nothing, but instead stared at her, almost studying her. Charlotte stood patiently, thinking that maybe he was going to say something else to her about Godric but when Eric leaned in towards her and breathed in deeply she decided to speak up. “Well then, uh, it was nice meeting you.”

She stepped to the left of Eric and walked into the main room fully aware that he was watching her leave.

“Interesting. Very interesting.”