‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Nicky

“Has anybody seen Greg?” Emily asked, walking down the halls, looking for Greg or anybody who know where he was.

Just then, Grissom stormed by, he held onto Emily’s arms and looked deep into her deep blue eyes “Honey, I need you to hold down the lab while I’m gone.” He said.

Emily looked at her father “Is everything okay?” she asked.

Grissom looked at his daughter “…honey, Nick’s missing.”

“…what?” Emily said, shocked by what she was hearing, Nick couldn’t be missing. You could notice him on the other side of the planet if you wanted to.

Grissom sighed “Just stay here, alright?” he said, patting her shoulder as he walked away.

Emily’s stomach dropped, her heart was racing, and she was pretty sure he knees were about to fail at any minute then.

She took a deep breathe and looked straight ahead of her, the DNA lab. Emily swiftly walked towards the lab where Hodges was messing around with the equipment.

Hodges looked up at Emily, she was on the verge of either tears of having a complete shit fit.

“What are you still doing here?” he asked her.

“Get out…” she said in a harsh tone.

Hodges knew better than to question a scorned Emily, he nodded and rushed out of the lab.

Emily sat on the stool and took in a deep breathe and began to sob uncontrollably, half of the lab was staring at her as she tried to keep it all under control, but that wasn’t doing any good.

“Baby.” Greg said, walking into the lab and holding her close.

Greg stroked her hair as he watched everybody watch THEM in the lab, he felt vulnerable and hoped everybody knew what just happened.

“What could have happened to him?” Emily asked, still sobbing through her words.

Greg kissed her forehead “He’s gonna be okay, it’s Nick! Probably ninja-kicking the assholes who took him now!” he said, trying to comfort her.

Emily took in a deep breathe, she looked up at Greg and tried to keep herself together for at least a moment.

“…he asked if he could walk me down the isle…that was our last conversation. I just hope it’s not our final one for life.” Emily said, trying to contain her sobs.

Greg shook his head “Don’t think like that! Baby, we’re gonna find him…and when we do, he’s gonna be in perfect condition. Alright?” He told her.

Emily nodded “Okay.” She said.

______________________________________________________________________

They brought back some evidence, but not much. Emily went through every piece of evidence and tried to keep her positive thinking high up.

Grissom walked up to the lab, but stopped midway as he saw Greg walk into the lab, he watched the both of them silently.

Greg comforted Emily, Grissom read their lips as he watched them. He actually began to hate himself for trying to crush their relationship that seemed very much intact.

Grissom then realized that marrying Greg was probably a good thing for Emily.

He walked into the lab, Greg and Emily stopped their tender moment as Grissom looked at Emily closely “…so what’d you find?” he asked.

Emily shook her head “Nothing, just a bunch of dead ends.” She said, almost angry with everything.

Grissom nodded “How you guys holding up?” he asked.

“Alright, for now…” Emily said, turning away from the both of them.

Greg looked at Grissom, he smiled weakly before walking out of the lab and leaving Grissom and Emily alone.

Grissom grabbed a tissue and made Emily face him, he wiped away her tears and held her tightly.

“…this is going to be done with before you know it.” He said, holding her face in his hands.

Emily sniffed, she nodded as she looked at Grissom. They embraced each other closely as it was silent in the lab.

________________________________________________________________

They were all sitting in the meeting room, every file and every profile had been looked through and not a hint could be found.

Hodges was yelling at somebody earlier, fighting with a delivery man for a package. The crew rushed out to see a security guard holding the delivery guy and Hodges trying to grab the package from him.

“My rights are being violated!” the delivery man said after Hodges got the package.

“Shut up!” Catherine said in her tone.

Everything was silent, Grissom was listening to Hodges whisper, the first time for that to ever happen.

Grissom looked at the package, then at everyone who was looking at him. “I’ve got his one…” he said, taking the package and taking it back into the room.

They all watched, Emily held onto Greg’s hand while Warrick had his arm around her.

All that was in the package was a tape and a USB drive, everyone huddled around the cassette player and listened to the tape. It was just a song, and it was fucking with the whole team.

The USB drive was a whole different story.

It was a white screen with black text, Greg held Emily close as Grissom click the “Watch” button and a load of gasps came out of everybody’s mouths.

“Oh my god!” Emily whispered, almost kneeling over in pain as she held her together as she watched Nick on the screen, buried alive and fighting for his life.

The light was bright, and nobody believed what they were seeing. Grissom kept his hand on the mouse for two minutes before the feed went off.

Half of the team walked out of the room, Emily included.

Emily went back to the lab, she took in a deep breathe. “Keep it all together” she told herself repeatedly as she thought about it all.

Grissom walked into the lab, he leaned against the door as he looked at Emily, she couldn’t pretend to be doing anything because there was nothing to do…everything was about Nick at that point.

“They found an address for the package…” he told her.

Emily nodded “Good.” She said, trying to smile.

Grissom nodded, his hands in his pockets as he strolled out of the lab and down the hall, the silence in the lab was sweet and painful until Sara walked in.

Tears still swelled her eyes as she walked up to Emily and hugged her “…I know this hurts you so much…” she told Emily.

Emily nodded “…he’s my big brother…how can this not hurt?” she said, hugging Sara back.

“We’re gonna find him….I promise.” Sara said, holding onto Emily tightly.