‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Be Civil

Emily sat right behind Greg at the inquest, she honestly didn’t want to be there but then again neither did Greg.

The mother of Demetrius James kept eyeing Greg throughout the inquest, Emily would occasionally turn across the way to look at her, avoiding a glance from her as well.

Greg avoided glares from everybody, he just wished he could hide under the table and stay there until the entire ordeal was finished with.

The inquest was long and messy, Emily just watched Greg taking beating after emotional beating during the entire time, and it began to take toll on her.

Emily’s four month old stomach was causing more eerie eyes as she held to it tightly as she began to feel something. They were sharp pains, she wasn’t sure if they were contractions or something else as she sat there quietly, holding onto her stomach calmly.

Sophia had taken the stand, explaining the events of that night. Emily was beginning to lose all control of the pain in her stomach as she began to take in deep breathes.
________________________________________________________________________

During the first break, Emily was trying to contain herself around Sophia and Greg as they talked to each other, about Greg’s guilt and every time another alleged contraction came along Greg would get a tight squeeze from Emily.

Greg finally turned to Emily “Are you okay?” he asked.

Emily nodded “Yeah…I have to go to the bathroom…” she said, letting go of Greg’s hand and walking to the bathroom.

The bathroom was crowded as Emily tried to contain herself, all the pain she was feeling was like a period from hell. She pulled out her cell phone and texted for Nick, then waited for his response.

Emily watched all the women walk in and out of the bathroom as Emily leaned against the wall and waited for Nick to respond to her text message.

That is, until Ms. James walked into the bathroom and noticed Emily breathing heavily against the wall next to the door.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

Emily nodded at Ms. James “Yes, I’m fine…” she said.

Ms. James looked at Emily “Are you sure?” she asked.

Emily nodded again “Yes, it’s just me getting used to the back pain…” she lied, terribly.

Ms. James smiled “How far along are you?” she asked.

“Four and a half months…” Emily said.

Ms. James nodded “Ahh, is this your first child?” she asked.

Emily nodded “Yes. My husband and I are very lucky since I had a hard time conceiving…” she said, trying to start a conversation, to get her mind off of the pain.

Ms. James nodded as she stuck out her hand “…Marla James…” she said.

Emily stared at Ms. James hand before shaking it “Emily Sanders…” she said, waiting for the final string to hit and get the crap kick or yelled out of her by Ms. James, but she did nothing.

Marla James just smirked at Emily softly before walking into a bathroom stall, just then Nick had texted back, telling her that he was waiting for her outside of the court house.

Emily smiled “Oh, thank god…” she said, rushing out of the bathroom.
________________________________________________________________________

Greg waited for Emily to come out of the bathroom, but she never did and recess was then over.

Sophia sighed “Just, go…I’ll wait for her!” she said, pushing Greg back into the court room and patted his back.

Nick was running down the hall, acting like he was late for his turn to take the stand, but all he got was a dirty look from Sophia.

“Ok…I just took Emily to the hospital…where’s Greg?” he said, looking around the courthouse, heaving almost.

Sophia’s mouth was gaped open “Greg is back in the courtroom, and why and when did Emily go to the hospital?” she asked.

Nick tried to catch his breathe “I just dropped her off, she went into labor so they’re trying to stop it!” he said in almost one sentence.

Sophia groaned “Stay here, wait your turn…I’m going to be with Emily!” she said, patting Nick’s back before leaving the court house all together.

Nick sat in a chair by the door as he shook his head “One hell of a day…” he muttered to himself.
________________________________________________________________________

As Nick walked into the courtroom to take the stand, he dropped a small note in Greg’s lab as he walked towards the stand.

Greg slowly read the note, his adrenaline was pumping as Nick silently told him that Emily had gone into labor but that Sophia was with her so not to worry.

Nick proceeded to the stand, smirking his way through the inquest. He was sure to impress everybody in the courtroom, which made Greg smile. But no matter what was said or done, Emily was on his mind.

The inquest seemed to take longer that it actually was, but when the decision was made that Greg’s actions were excusable, Greg sighed with relief. He just wish Emily could have been there to hold him close.

His lawyer shook her head “No, it should have been justifiable…” she proclaimed.

Greg shook his head “No, I think they got it right…” he said, getting up from his seat.
________________________________________________________________________

Greg rushed into the hospital room, holding onto the Civil Suit he had just been given, he smiled at Emily who just looked at him.

“So, how’d it go?” she asked.

Greg smiled “Excusable…” he muttered.

Emily grew a big smile as she celebrated with herself in the hospital bed, slowly sitting up as Greg walked towards her, giving her a kiss on the forehead.

“So, what happened?” he asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “They said that the stress I’ve been putting on myself triggered it…they’re calling this a ‘high risk’ pregnancy.” Emily said, holding onto the cuff of Greg’s suit.

“…what’s that?” she asked, grabbing the paper from Greg’s hands.

Greg didn’t know what to tell her as she opened it up and read the entire Civil Suit “…are you fucking kidding me??” she asked.

“Baby,” he said, snatching the Civil Suit from Emily’s hands “Don’t worry about it, okay? Just…focus on the baby…” he said, stroking her hair.

Emily looked at Greg “How am I supposed to do that, when you’re the one who can’t sleep at night?” she asked him quietly.

Greg just shrugged his shoulders and kissed his wife.