‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Keppler

“…have you met Keppler yet?” Greg asked.

Emily shook her head as she looked down at a file “Nope…not yet…” she said, uninterested in the conversation as she looked over evidence.

Greg nodded “I don’t know, he just doesn’t seem right, y’know?” he said, continuing on with the conversation.

“Greg—I can’t right now, okay? I’ve got a million things to do before Catherine comes back…okay?” Emily said, starting to stress out by everything.

Greg looked at Emily “Oh, I’m sorry…I didn’t know you were swarmed. I guess you hide your mess…unlike what I did…” he said.

Emily nods, smiling at the fond memory “Yeah, cleanliness was never your strong point…still isn’t!” she said.

Greg nodded “Okay, then…I’ll see you later.” He said, kissing her forehead before walking out of the lab.

PDA was really something Ecklie stressed with both Greg and Emily, but Greg never seemed to heed the warnings that Ecklie put upon him. It was probably because he knew they were empty threats.

Emily sighed, enjoying the silence of the lab as she finished up a report on a piece of evidence right as Keppler and Catherine walked in.

“Alright, Ems…what do you got?” she asked.

Emily looked up at Catherine and smiled, then turned to Keppler and looked at him closely “There’s a strange tall man in my lab…” she said.

Catherine smiled “He’s okay…” she said.

Emily turned to Catherine “Can you elaborate, or shall I?” she said, turning to Keppler who smiled at the small girl and stuck his hand out.

“Michael Keppler, you must be Emily…” he said.

Emily slowly shook his hand and looked Keppler up and down “Greg’s right, there is something not right about you…”

Keppler lost his smile as he took his hand back, unsure of how to take Emily’s comment.

Catherine let out an awkward laugh as she looked at Emily “Oh, Emily…please,” she said.

“I’ve heard a lot about you…Grissom is your father…and Sanders is—”

“—better half,” Emily said, interrupting Keppler’s sentence.

Keppler nodded as he continued to look at Emily “So, how far along are you?” he asked.

Emily looked at Catherine, who nodded, then back at Keppler “6 and a half months…” she said.

“Wow, that’s impressive. You only seem about…5…” he said.

Emily wasn’t sure if she was supposed to take that as a compliment or not “Umm, yeah, small girl, big stomach…” she said.

Catherine smiled “Alright, so what do you have for us?” she asked.

Emily groaned “Due to Greg’s growing nature of coming in here to socialize with me until his shift, I have gotten minimal work done…I’m sorry, Cath.” She said.

Catherine shook her head “No, it’s okay…high risk pregnancy…all eyes are on you, no pressure!” she said.

“Why, thank you, however I did test one sample you gave me, and I’m sorry but it’s a dead end…” she said, shrugging her shoulders.

Catherine nodded “Well, thanks though…” she said, escorting Keppler out of the lab just as Nick walked into the lab, being followed in by Hodges.

Nick smiled at Emily “Hey…vessel, do you have my results?” he asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders with a smug smirk on her face “Catherine beat you, and no…I don’t have any of your results in…except for one dead end, everything’s still processing…” she said.

Nick nodded, smiling at Emily “Well, in that case, how are you feeling Miss Emily?” he asked.

“Like I wanna punch somebody,” she said, staring at Hodges who was ‘quite’ offended.

Hodges crossed his arms “Well, I’m so sorry I ruined your Zen!” he said, turning to Nick to get him some ‘shocking’ results only to knock over an entire stack of test tubes filled with unprocessed evidence.

Emily, Nick, and Hodges both glared as the spilled mess on the floor. Emily looked up at Hodges in rage as she grabbed the first thing she could grab.

“Out…” she gripped “GET OUT, BOTH OF YOU!!!” she said, throwing the random item in her hand.

Hodges screamed like a girl as he tripped over himself and skid out of the lab while Nick tripped on Hodges backing out of the lab as Emily continued to throw items at them.

“GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY LAB!!!!” she yelled, slamming the glass doors behind her, almost breaking the glass.

Hodges was shocked “Wow, hormones do wonders to her!” he said, slowly getting up.

But on the other side of the glass Emily was feeling the effects of her actions “Oh boy, that wasn’t a good idea, was it?” she asked herself, gripping her stomach as labor pains approached.

Nick watched Emily slowly kneeling over in pain as she walked over to her seat, Nick got up from off the floor and walked back into the lab “Are you okay?” he asked, trying not to touch her.

Emily shook her head “No, I’m not…I think I’m going into labor…” she admitted, slowly sitting down as she had another contraction.

Nick grabbed his cell phone, and called for a Paramedic. Nick tried to get Emily to relax as he waited for the Paramedics, Henry followed in, trying to help just by talking to Emily, which did little help.

“Oh, Henry, I know you’re trying…but please, just stop!” Emily requested, crying out in pain as she had another contraction.

Nick nodded “Okay, we can’t wait anymore. Henry, help me out and get Emily out of her seat and help me walk her to the front desk, okay?” he asked.

Henry nodded “Sure!” he said, getting nervous as he slowly led Emily out of his chair, letting her have her crying pain as another contraction hit.

These contractions were coming hard and fast, which meant Nick and Henry didn’t have a lot of time.

They got to the front desk just as the Paramedics pulled in, having Emily in the gurney as quickly as possible while trying to delay and maybe stop the labor-in-progress from happening all together.

Nick turned to Henry “I’m going with her, inform Ecklie and Greg!” he said before running after the paramedics.

Henry nodded, thinking for a moment “How do I tell them?” he asked himself, off to find Greg and Ecklie.