‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Lab Rats

Emily was rocking Lenni back and forth in her car seat as she sat in Grissom's office, waiting for her father to walk in be surprised to see her, but no such luck.

As she sat in the dark, she watched Hodges walked into the office, eying the Miniature Killer's miniatures as he smirked to himself.

“What are you doing?” Emily asked, she stopped rocking Lenni and crossed her arms while looking at Hodges.

Hodges jumped as he turned to Emil in her dark corner “Where did you come from?” he asked.

“What are you doing?” Emily asked again, in an annoyed tone.

It was then that all the Lab Techs walked into Grissom's office, looking at Hodges as he started his 'presence' only to lose it when they turned to see Emily and the new baby.

“AWW...can we see her?” Mandy asked, diving next to Emily to look at the sleeping Lenni as she cooed over the baby.

Henry and Archie looked at each other, before turning to Hodges who somehow got his Thunder back from Emily.

Hodges had the great plan of 'helping' Grissom with solving the Miniature Killer case. He turned to Emily in hopes of not seeing through his bull shit.

Emily and Hodges glared at each other for a moment, the tension was thick until Emily softly sighed and continued to rock Lenni.
________________________________________________________________________
The Lab Techs sat around as they looked at the case files while Hodges explained every detail.

Emily was rocking Lenni’s car seat as she leaned against Grissom’s desk for support as she crossed her arms and listened to Hodges.

Henry and Mandy continued to get distracted while Archie ‘tempted’ fate by nearly sitting in Grissom’s chair.

Emily noticed that Hodges was taken everything seriously, which then lead her to believe that something wasn’t right as he continued on with his ‘lectures’.

“…it’s the man’s office, show him some courtesy.” Hodges told Archie who shrugged his shoulders as walked away.

Emily stood up and stopped rocking Lenni as she walked over to Grissom’s desk and sat down in his chair, taking in a sigh of relief.

“What are you doing? I just lectured him abo— ”

Emily scuffed “Oh, chill out, Hodges! I’ve sat in daddy’s chair many times and nothing ever came of it…” she said, smirking at Hodges who quickly gave up.

Henry smiled “…can I rock Lenni?” he asked.

Emily nodded “Yeah, sure…just don’t take her out of her car seat…” she said, turning back to Hodges.

“…as you were saying, David.” Emily said, nearly mocking Hodges.
________________________________________________________________________
Emily stood up from her seat as the Lab Techs left the room, she smirked at Hodges who shared another smirk at her.

“And what exactly do you expect to achieve this time, Hodges?” Emily asked, crossing her arms.

Hodges smiled brightly at Emily “And since when did you have such an interest in my actions?” he asked.

Emily smirked back at him “I don’t know, maybe since you LIED to you fellow men and took over Gil Grissom’s ‘special’ operation...” she said, cocking an eye brow at Hodges.

“Something's changed...” he said to himself.

Emily nodded as she continued to cross her arms “Yeah, I wanna play along in your little game for a change.” She said.

Hodges cocked an eye brow “Wow…I can’t believe you just said that to me…” he said, letting a small confident smile escape his lips.

“BUT I have to keep Lenni around, and if Greg asks…it’s official Lab Tech business…” she said, smirking at Hodges.

Hodges crossed his arms, giving her one of his famous smirks “Deal.” He said, walking out of Grissom’s office.
________________________________________________________________________

Wendy and Emily examined a file, Wendy loved to torture Hodges as his eyes lingered from across the hall as he talked with Nick.

Emily attempted her best to lay low from Nick’s eye level as she sat on the floor next to Lenni as she slept ever so quietly in her sleep. Emily kept waiting for Lenni to wake up for her feeding but it never came.

Archie showed Ernie Dell’s suicide live feed while made Emily cringe.

“Seriously, like right now?” Emily asked, getting up off of the floor and towards the computer just when Hodges called Wendy out of the room.
________________________________________________________________________

Emily was warming up Lenni’s bottle with a Bunsen Burner as she listened to Henry discuss the fourth miniature killing, she remembered her father reacting to it…she was still pregnant with Lenni at the time.

Henry cleared his throat “Maybe to taunt Grissom, I don’t know…” he went on to say.

“Yeah, but the creepy part is that while her position on the couch made the CSI’s believe it would be asphyxiation, it actually was Carbon Monoxide poisoning that killed her!” Emily said, feeling the milk against her wrist then flinching from the heat.

Hodges nodded “Yes, and the suspects were somebody who was close to Ernie Dell, maybe somebody he was trying to protect…” he said.

Henry took Emily’s bottle and smiled “Can I feed her?” he asked.

“Careful,” she said, pointing a finger as she took the file out of his hands and handing him the bottle.

Hodges sighed “…and the only thing in common with the others was a disposable cell phone number,” he said.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “Did anybody think to call it?” she asked.

Hodges turned to her, fumbling with his words “…well, no…” he said.

Wendy snatched Hodges phone and dialed the number, everyone remained still as they listened to the dial tone go on, waiting for somebody to answer the phone, but nobody did.

Hodges grabbed his phone and snatched it shut “Nice one, Simms. Now they have my cell phone number…” he said.
________________________________________________________________________

“If I could, I’d ring your neck right now…” Emily said, handing Henry her bag of chips.

“You can have the rest…I’m done!” she said, smiling at Henry before looking down at the again sleeping Lenni.

Henry smiled “Thank you, Emily…” he said, eating a chip.

“…all the miniatures had food…” Henry implied, thinking for a moment.

The group continued to converse with ideas until Hodges’s cell phone rang. The lab rats went silent as they looked at the phone in fear.

“Did anyone see Scream?” Henry asked.

Emily shook her head “No, dad never let me…” he muttered, watching Hodges pick up the phone.

It was total silence.

“Oh, hey Catherine!” Hodges said, the lab rats took in a deep breathe as they relaxed.