‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

Overtime

For the first time in Emily’s adult life, she watched the sun rise in Las Vegas, even though it was through a hospital window.

The sun burned Emily’s eyes and made her dizzy as she sat, waiting for Nick to wake up.

Nick moved in his sleep, she always got anxious when he did. Hoping that he was waking up so she could talk to him.

The sun, it lit the room and Emily had officially been up for 72 hours.

Nick moaned as he officially woke up, Emily looked at her watch 9:35 A.M.

Emily smiled as she looked at Nick, whose eyes slowly opened. He smiled at Emily as tears of joy nearly shed from her eyes.

“…how long have you been here?” he asked her.

Emily laughed “Long enough to know you talk in your sleep…” she teased, moving her chair closer to him so he couldn’t have to speak loudly.

Nick took Emily’s hand, assuring himself that everything was going to be okay.

“Y’know, I thought about you in that stupid box…” Nick told her.

Emily smiled as she stroked his hand “Oh really?” she asked.

Nick nodded “I heard your voice…you were screaming at me not to give up…and all I could think was how I was never going to see you get married…” he told her.

“Oh, Nicky…” she said, a tear rolled down her pale cheek.

Nick shook his head “…it was you until that moment…I never stopped thinking about your words of wisdom…or your laugh…or good, clean memories of Warrick and us…” he told her.

Emily sighed “Well, I haven’t gotten my dress yet,” she said, smiling at him “…and I’d like it if you were there to help me pick it out.” She said.

“…can it be Pink?” he whispered.

Emily laughed “We’ll see…”

The room door opened, they both turned to see Grissom walk into the room with a full cup of coffee, shocked by what he was seeing.

Emily turned to Nick “Well, that’s my cue. I gotta go…” she said.

It took Nick all of his effort to let go of Emily’s hand, his quick attachment to his ‘little sister’ made it hard for him to watch her leave.

But other people were waiting to see Nick alive and well.

Emily walked into the lobby, a smile wide on her face “…he’s awake!” she said, a small giggle escaping her pale lips.

Everyone was relieved, getting up and walking up to Nick’s room to see him. It was going to get packed very quickly.

Emily sighed as she patted Greg’s back as she watched him follow his team to see Nick, she walked outside of the hospital and walked towards her car to go to work.

Granted, she had no sleep in her system, but she did have to go to work no matter what had happened those past two days.

________________________________________________________________________

“Umm, Grissom, what are you doing here?” Ecklie asked Emily, who flinched as she turned to him.

“…don’t EVER call me Grissom…okay?” she asked, walking into the lab and putting her purse down.

Ecklie shook his head “Fine, Grissom JR. You’ve maxed out on overtime…and overtime that didn’t even belong to you!” he said.

Emily rolled her eyes, fighting with Ecklie first thing in the morning was routine, but with no sleep in her system it didn’t make it worth it.

“Fine, fire me!” she said, grabbing a file and opening it up

Ecklie snatched it from her, he shook his head “Get out of here…” he ordered her.

Emily sighed “Where am I supposed to go?” she asked.

“I don’t know, the hospital…go visit Nick, go-go plan your wedding...” Ecklie sighed as he looked Emily Grissom “…go home, go to sleep…I don’t want to see you in here for another 72 hours, do I make myself clear?” he asked.

Emily nodded “Yes, sir.”

“Good.” Ecklie said, walking out of the lab.

Emily groaned as she grabbed her purse and left the lab, she grabbed her car keys and walked out to her car where she sat in the driver seat and thought about where she was going to go when she realized something.

“Oh god, I’m turning into my dad…” she muttered to herself.

________________________________________________________________________

Emily was asleep, I bed, by herself. It was the most peaceful thing ever…no Greg hogging all of the covers. It was just her, in her pajamas.

Until Greg came home.

It was a little after 5 in the afternoon, Greg had stripped off his clothes and shoes and forced Emily to scoot over.

Greg sighed as he lied next to Emily, who was out like a light. Greg cuddled with his fiancée as he hid under the covers, taking Emily with him.

“Night, baby…” Greg said, snuggling closer to Emily before closing his eyes and going to sleep.

________________________________________________________________________

Emily didn’t wake up until noon the next day, Greg was still asleep…and snoring like there was no tomorrow.

She slowly got out of bed and walked into the kitchen to get something to eat since her stomach was more of an issue than her bad breathe was.

Emily didn’t know what she wanted for ‘brunch’, but she knew that she didn’t want to go out for anything incase Greg woke up.

But by how he was snoring, that wasn’t going to happen for another good couple of hours.

The fridge was empty, Greg and Emily hadn’t gone grocery shopping in such a long time, which gave Emily an idea.

She smiled as she shut the fridge and got dressed as quietly as possible to not disturb Greg and his deep slumber.

Emily slowly left the apartment and ran down the stairs. Grocery shopping, this was fun. No work effort, just relax and grab anything that looked good!

She reminded herself that there were limits on what she could get, but all the empty cabinets and the fridge were desperate for anything as she walked down the stairs and walked out to the car.

“Yeah, this will be fun.” Emily told herself.