Status: cancelled

Scream to Be Heard, Like You Needed Any More Attention

i guess it'll happen eventually

     I blinked my eyes open to Ember's tastefully decorated guest bedroom. I tousled my hair as I sat up and flicked on the lamp by the bed. In the yellow light of the lamp, I caught sight of four scratches on the back of my hand and brusises on both my wrists. I turned my hand staring at them curiously. And then I remembered. Davie.  
     I rubbed at the scratches and swung my legs onto the floor and lightly padded down the hall. I heard voices as I approached the living room and I stopped at the corner and cautiously peeked around the edge. 
     A beefy, mustached police officer sat, notepad in hand listening intently to what some dark haired man with a big nose was saying. With a jolt, I realized him to be the cute stranger who had rescued me. Across from him sat Ember, who absently staring at him with a dreamy smile on her face.
     The police officer spoke, "Mr. Barakat, is this all you saw?"
     The man replied, "Yes, sir. I told you everything that happened. 
     "Thank you, son. Miss, can I have word with Jack alone?" the officer asked, looking at Ember. 
     "Absolutely! Yes, I mean I'll go check up on Riley, see how she is."
     Ember smiled and rose from her chair. I dashed down to the guest room and hopped on bed and closed my eyes, seconds before the door quietly swung open to let Ember in. 
     She tiptoed inside and gently closed the door behind her then came up to bed and sat down softly. 
   I felt her cool fingers stroking my forehead and shifted slightly. She drew her hand away and with a sigh began speaking. 
     "Riley, what you did tonight...well, don't do it again. Please. I know you hate me for sending you to that place without a second thought. What I need you to understand is that I did it because I care about you." 
     I rolled my eyes under my closed eyelids at this remark. 
     "If you were awake you probably would've rolled your eyes that," she said. 
     I stopped rolling my eyes. 
     "Anyways, I know you probably don't think just leaving you there was very caring but I really thought that place would help you become the old Riley again. I'm sorry. I was selfish. I just needed the old you back. The funny, smart, clean Riley that I became friends with so long ago."
     She sighed again then rose, and walked back to the living room, eyes downcast. 
     I opened my eyes wide as her words repeated and echoed in my ears. I was still thinking of what she had said when I heard someone coming down again.  I snapped my eyes shut just as a dark shape entered. I peeked a little to see it was Jack. 
     I watched as he put a slip of paper by the lamp and then turned to me. He kind of gazed at my "sleeping" form for a few moments then headed back to the front. 
     After a little bit of talking, the door closed and the house turned silent. I closed my eyes then, letting sleep steal away tonight's memories.            
♠ ♠ ♠
comment &subscribe please (:

sorry, I'm terrible at updating
but I promise this story will pick up soon
and there will be less filler-type updates
like this one