With This Gun.

Chapter 6.

The day of my departure dawned on me. I was leaving everything I’d ever had and lost behind me. I was starting new. Again. I sized up the ship that was taking me. It was huge. I stepped onto the loading ramp and waved goodbye to my stepfather. I was headed for a new adventure now.

I showed someone my ticket and was escorted to my room. Not that’d I’d really need it, but it was nice all the same. He took my bags and that actually gave me a reason to look around at the people aboard the ship. I caught a few staring at me, mostly young ladies about fifteen. I politely smiled and they giggled. Typical.

My bedroom consisted of deep red wall cover with a white and black border.. The French furniture was a nice touch and made the room look very appealing and expensive. The bed was a nice canopy with red satin drape and velvet black pillows and a white comforter. There were paintings from as early as the 16th century. I smiled at my escort and tipped him handsomely. He again smiled at my generosity and left me to my bidding.

I walked out of the room and out onto the deck. It would be a good thing to take a look around. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a few of my kind on this ship, with the endless amounts of time to get money and all. I sat on a bench and stared out to see, noticing we’d already departed from the dock.

I saw another group of girls staring at me and I smiled again invitingly. They were dressed quite nice and their thoughts consisted of everything they’d been saying. Mostly about me. This made me chuckle and I shook my head at them. I saw one of them frown, as if she knew I’d been reading their thoughts. I’d realized she had been talking to one of the other girls and something that girl said made her frown.

I turned my head away and focused on a commotion coming from the side of the deck. There a young boy, no more than thirteen, was being harassed by four boys older than him. I frowned at this.

I found myself walking over to them. They stopped as they watched me approach. The older boys looked about my age, probably a bit older.

“Is there a problem here?” I asked in a friendly tone, smooth as ice. One of the boys smiled a devious smile and shook his head. I knew what he said before he said it.

“No, no problem here. Just teaching Emery here a lesson on respect.” The oldest boy said. I shook my head and he frowned at my gesture.

“Let him go.” I said in a still smooth but stern voice. The three other boys formed a circle around me. The oldest one chuckled.

“Who’s going to stop us?” He asked and dropped Emery and lunged at me. I was a step ahead of him. I side stepped and took him by the back of the neck and pinned him against the wall with one hand. The others stopped and backed away slightly.

“Learned your lesson?” I said in a harder voice and pressed his face in a bit more. He nodded slightly and I threw him to the ground. “Now get out of here you ass.” He got up quickly and him and his friends ran off. I turned around back to Emery. “Are you alright?” I asked, my voice smooth again.

“Yeah,” he mumbled, “thank you for that, they’ve been picking on my since I lost my parents two years ago.” I couldn’t help but feel sympathy for this child. He had gone through what I had too.

“It’s okay, I think they’ve learned their lesson. Just yell if you have anymore trouble and I’ll be there in a split second. Okay?” I smiled warmly at him and he smiled back and nodded. I turned back around and headed back to my bunk. I could feel that I would meet this child again in the future.