Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Touch Myself

Image

Ruby messed around with the hem of the flannel shirt that Emily loaned her, along with jeans and underwear. Ruby assured her that she would return these clothes. Emily was more than fine with it. Ruby was a bit skeptical about her scars at first, but after the first five minutes of being with her, her scars sort of disappear and all you can see is her wonderful personality.

Ruby quickly liked Emily and Sam. They were so perfect, and the way Sam looked at Emily. It was hard to put words in it. All she could really say was that Sam was madly in love with Emily.

Emily and Ruby got talking. It was like they were friends for a long time, but Ruby missed her best friend, her sister.

As if by some sort of miracle, Ruby’s phone went off. She got a text message. Ruby grinned widely as she read it:

Tomorrow, after school we need to talk. I promise you I’ll explain anything and everything you want me to, just give me another change! I feel so shitty about what I did and I completely understand that I’m now a bitch, but I can’t live without you. You’re my best friend… my only friend. Please, I’m tired of this fucked up shit between us. So, can we talk?

It was Tobi.

“I guess you got good news,” Emily chuckled and saw how happy Ruby had turned.

“My best friend, Tobi and I had a huge fight, and I really thought it was over. It’s why I was… running away,” she told Emily, as she wrote her response to Tobi.

I agree, no more secrets. I miss us too and I’ll wait for you tomorrow. We can talk on the way to school if you want.

She hit send and her heart felt lighter.

It was too soon before it was sunset and Sam had to drive Ruby to meet up with the Cullen’s. She didn’t ask why they had to meet at a certain spot because she didn’t really think about it. She was worried about what Tobi was going to tell her, and how Tobi would react when she told her about her miscarriage.

As they neared the place, Ruby removed all of those thoughts because it was quickly placed by fear. Fear of facing Dalton. Her body shivered involuntarily. She didn’t want to sleep at her place anymore. Dalton was probably waiting for her there.

Sam stopped the car. The sun was set, and the only light was the one of the cars. The Cullen’s, which included Emmett, Carlisle and Alice, rode in a black Mercedes and Emmett’s Range Rover.

Ruby quickly thanked Sam and pecked his cheek.

Emmett’s hand twitched in response to that. She had kissed a mutt, and she didn’t even know how jealous it had made him. He kept his cool though.

Ruby rushed out of the car and headed to the Cullen’s. Alice face turned into a full frown once she saw just how bad her bruises were. It made the petite vampire extremely mad, and that was rare for her because she was usually a lovely person.

But no one deserved what happened to Ruby.

Ruby went straight to Emmett. She stopped in front of him, she realized she had her bruises, but he didn’t seem to look at her bruises. He was looking into her eyes.

“I’m so happy you’re alive,” he whispered to her and grinned. “You scared the shit out of me.”

“How?” she asked him. “No one knew I ran away.”

“We heard Dalton was looking for you,” Alice chimed in. “We thought the worse, but you’re okay, and that’s what counts.”

Sam stepped out of the vehicle with her duffle bag and walked over to ‘the borderline’. Alice took the duffle bag from Sam. He looked at Ruby.

“Emily told me to tell you that you’re welcome any time,” he said through what looked like a sincere smile.

“Thanks, Sam, remind her that I’ll be giving her clothes back, okay?” she went to Sam because it looked like he was glued to the floor and hugged him.

Sam was surprised, but placed his arms around her affectionately. Sam, now sort of felt protective of her. In the little time he got to know her, he could tell she was a very strong girl. His eyes went to Emmett and they hardened. The look said ‘you better tell her what you are and let her choose, or else’.

Emmett gave him a short, quick nod.

Ruby went back to the Cullen’s. She greeted Carlisle, and was amazed how young he was to have so many adoptive kids. He said he was thirty.

“Wow, you must tell me your secret,” Ruby chuckled. “I don’t want wrinkles.”

Carlisle laughed, he liked Ruby already.

Ruby rode with Emmett. He told her they were going to his place. He didn’t want to risk running into Dalton and killing him in front of Ruby, no, he would make sure she wasn’t there when he would tear the human limb from limb.

“Are you okay? You’re gripping the steering wheel a little too hard,” her gentle voice woke him from his thoughts.

Indeed he was holding the steering wheel a little too hard. He loosened his grip.

“Why were you running away?” he asked and turned on the wipers because the rain started again.

She sighed and looked out the window. “Shit, Emmett, just plain shit.”

“Is it because of the fight with Tobi?”

“And that I got punched and beaten,” she muttered. “And…” she stopped herself before going on. “Is your family okay with me staying over?”

Honestly, Jasper would have to sleep in the cabin just a few miles away from the mansion because he didn’t want to risk Ruby’s life. Sure, Ruby wasn’t his singer, but he still craved blood. Emmett wasn’t even going to sleep in the same room with her because he didn’t trust himself.

“Alice is thrilled that the sleepover is starting soon,” he smirked and she chuckled. “They’re thrilled to have you, especially Esme, my adoptive mother.”

“Esme is such a nice name, French, I believe.”

He chuckled. “How do you know that?”

“I have a best friend that is French, duh.”

“And yet you barely know how to say ‘hello, my name is’,” he joked. “You and Tobi have made up?”

“She sent me a text saying she was sorry and that we’re going to talk things through,” she smiled happily.

They arrived at Emmett’s home.

“Oh, I did not know you lived in a mansion,” she whistled as she looked at the place.

“It’s hardly a mansion,” he told her as he got out of the car with an umbrella. He raced quickly around the car. He took advantage that she was too distracted by the size of the house. He opened the door of the car.

She got out. He took her duffle bag from the back and walked with her under the umbrella. He could see the goose bumps that formed because of the cold. He wished he was warm, like a regular person to help her with her slight problem, but his body would only make it worse.

Alice opened the door and said that they had arrived.

The way Alice said it, Ruby thought no one heard, but Rosalie, Esme, and Edward appeared with smiles on their faces. Rosalie did not have the chance to talk to Emmett, but now was the perfect time.

Esme was surprised by the bruises on Ruby’s face. For the first time in a very long time, Esme felt like killing the human that caused Ruby that pain. Esme was surprised how protective she felt for someone she barely knew. Yet, her motherly instinct kicked in really hard.

“You have a wonderful home, Mrs. Cullen,” Ruby knew whom Esme was because Carlisle had placed his arm around her waist with his other hand in his pocket.

“Thank you, Ruby,” Esme said.

“I’m going to take your stuff to your room,” Alice told Ruby. “I’ll be back so we can talk. We so need to talk!”

Emmett led her to the living room. He could actually breathe, not that he needed to, now that she was in his arms. That she was alive. He felt so horrible as he thought about the heart aching moments where he thought she was dead.

It was the worst pain he had ever suffered. Very close tie to when he was transformed. He wanted to kiss her and caress her, but he had to maintain his distance. He didn’t want to scare her away.

They were left alone in the living room. She turned half her body to him.

“Thank you for everything, Emmett,” she said sheepishly. “I don’t know what I would’ve done.”

“I’m sorry for not being there, Ruby,” he muttered. “I promised I would and I wasn’t.”

“It’s okay, you and your family always go hiking during the sunny days, though the weather was being bipolar today,” she made a face, but winched when it hurt her to do it.

His hand reached her face, and he gently caressed her bruises.

“I’m going to kill that bastard,” he found himself thinking out loud.

“Emmett, don’t… just… let it. I don’t want you getting hurt, okay? Dalton has friends… dangerous friends,” she added, and it was true. Dalton had connections to mobsters. She met those mobsters before.

He found it so cute she was trying to protect him. Bullets would do nothing to him. He would move so fast, Dalton and his ‘dangerous’ friends wouldn’t know what hit them. But, for her sake, he had to lie to her.

“Okay, but you’re not going back home alone, I’m going with you in the morning,” he said.

“Yeah, I didn’t want to go alone either. I have to talk to Tobi before school though, do you think we can go an hour before school starts?” she asked him.

“Of course,” he said. “Are you sleepy?”

“Yeah… I walked a lot, my feet are killing me.”

“Have you showered?” he asked her.

She shook her head. “No.”

“I’ll show you the bathroom.”

“What is she thinking?” Emmett whispered to Edward.

Edward listened to Ruby’s thoughts.

“Of a song, ‘Breaking the Habit’ by Linkin Park,” Edward answered. “What do you expect to get?”

“I don’t know, if she likes me or not,” Emmett muttered.

Edward made a face. “She switched songs… a slightly disturbing one, and she’s thinking of you.”

“What song?” Emmett asked.

“Touch Myself.”

“Which version?”

“By some band called… Genitorturers.”

Emmett smirked. He listened to that music.

“I’m out of here, I did not need to know Ruby was so flexible,” Edward muttered bitterly. “I’ll be over at Bella’s.”

“Okay,” Emmett just got a whole bunch of fantasies now that he knew Ruby was flexible.

Edward groaned. Emmett was an insatiable vampire when it came to sex.

Emmett could hear Ruby hum to herself.

Ruby looked at her pajamas, but she didn’t have anything that would cover the bruises. There was a light knock on the door.

“Yes?”

“It’s Alice.”

“Come in,” she said before she placed on a shirt on.

Alice walked in with a pair of sweats, and a shirt.

“I figured you could use these,” she smiled and placed it on the bed. “Good night, Ruby.”

“Good night, Alice,” she said back. She removed the shirt she had on and pulled on the one Alice gave her.

Emmett walked inside of the bedroom. He had a pair of sweats on with a tank top. She looked away blushing. He had an incredible body. She got so many images of them in the bed doing so many dirty things. She was sure she would scream his name, and she would ride him into ecstasy.

Emmett held back a chuckle when he saw her blush. He could hear her heart pounding, which meant her blood was going faster too, and he could hear it. He tamed the demon inside of him that wanted her blood so damn bad.

She placed a strand of her wet hair behind her ear. She looked so sexy to him, even in the sweats and shirt.

“I wanted to say good night,” he walked towards her until he was in front of her.

His scent was making her want to kiss him. The way he looked down at her made her feel beautiful even though she had a black eye and busted lip.

“Good night, Emmett,” she managed to say.

“Good night, Ruby.”

Alice got Ruby some clothes that looked way too expensive. Ruby only accepted them because she wanted her to be quiet. Alice also gave her a small necklace that had a crescent on it, it was of a lion sort of looking thing. She didn’t know she was now a Cullen, in a way. Bella didn’t even have one, but Alice felt good about Ruby and Emmett. She saw them together very soon.

Esme made her breakfast. The eggs could’ve used some salt, but she didn’t say anything because she didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

In less than an hour, Emmett was driving her to Tobi’s place.

She was glad to see that Dalton was not at her home.

“I’ll wait here for you and Tobi, I’ll follow you guys when it’s time to head to school,” he said.

She noticed his eyes were a lighter shade of honey.

“Hmm,” she said as she narrowed her eyes.

“What?” he asked.

“Uh, nothing, must be the lighting. Your eyes look lighter than usual.”

Emmett had gone hunting right after she had fallen asleep. His thirst needed to be mended, so he went to feed. He took down a Grizzly twice his size. Of course his eyes would be lighter.

Ruby opened the door of the car and headed to Tobi’s.

Tobi opened the door before Ruby could knock. The girls smiled at each other, and Tobi brought Ruby into a tight hug. Ruby was so happy to have her best friend back.

“You have no idea how painful yesterday was!” Tobi said.

Ruby rolled her eyes and hugged Tobi back, “Bitch, I suffered too.”

Tobi laughed and pulled away, “We have an hour or so before we have to get to school, do you want to get coffee or something?”

The two got into Tobi’s car and drove toward a small breakfast diner just a couple of blocks from the school. Emmett was not far behind them, and Ruby explained that Emmett was taking care of her from Dalton.

When they sat down, Tobi looked over at Ruby and took in a deep breath before starting her explanation.

As Tobi explained her story, Ruby began to understand Lauren’s and Mike’s attitude since the beginning of school. She wanted to kick Lauren’s ass even more. Mike’s too.

Ruby stared at Tobi, some unknown emotion on her bruised face, before she nodded her head and grabbed Tobi’s hand from across the table, “Don’t worry, I’m not like those sluts at school. Trust me when I say, there is nothing wrong with you.”

“Thank-you,” Tobi whispered, “now, it’s your turn.”

Her turn.

“Where to start?” she sighed and laughed bitterly. “It happened during the summer. It was at some random party Dalton and I had gone to. I was cross faded, you know, drunk and high. Dalton and I were dancing, when I got a pain right here,” she gestured to just below her abdomen. “I thought it was cramps from my period, which had not come in three weeks.”

Tobi’s eyes went huge. “You were pregnant?”

Ruby nodded her head as tears glistened her eyes. “I… had a miscarriage in someone’s bathroom.”

Tobi didn’t stop the small gasp that escaped her lips. Tobi squeezed Ruby’s hand tighter. She hated how easily Ruby could hide her feelings because she never would’ve guessed something was wrong with her. Unlike her, Ruby could tell right away when there was something wrong with Tobi. She was an open book.

“Did… you go to a doctor?” Tobi asked.

“I went to a clinic, and they just confirmed what I already knew, I had a miscarriage and I was a month pregnant. I left before they could get my entire information. I gave a fake name and stuff,” she sniffled and wiped away the tears. “And… on Wednesday Dalton was high and he saw Emmett drop me off. I tried to break things off with him, but he hit me… and raped me repeatedly.”

“Goddamn it, Ruby! Why didn’t you say that in the first place?” Tobi was now crying too. “I failed you as a friend.”

“No, you have not!” Ruby interjected. “You’re a great friend. You have your own problems to deal with.”

“Let’s promise that we’ll have no more secrets,” Tobi declared.

“No more secrets,” Ruby repeated. Her heart felt so much better now that she had told someone about it. The weight of it was now off of her shoulders.

“Where were you yesterday?” Tobi asked.

“Oh,” Ruby laughed a bit. “I ran away, sort of. I only made it as far as La Push. Luke found me and he was going to take me back to Dalton because he was looking for me, but Sam and… Paul… stopped him. Whoa, didn’t you say Paul from La Push was one of the guys you… you know?”

Tobi’s face went pale, even though her skin was dark, Ruby could tell.

“Yeah, you met him?” she asked Ruby.

“Sort of, he stopped Luke from… well… you know,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “I mean, he’s a complete jerk for what he is doing to you, but he’s… kind of hot.”

Tobi’s eyes narrowed.

“I said kind of,” Ruby cleared quickly. “Well, anyway, I went to Sam’s place where he lives with his fiancée, Emily, and she lent me clothes which I plan to return. I called Emmett and I went to his place and stayed over the night.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ruby’s Outfit

Thank you all for the support. We love to hear from you :D