Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Tension

Image

Watching Tobi punch Dalton made Ruby feel both proud and scared, proud that Tobi could throw a punch like that, but now she was scared of what he was going to do to her. Ruby immediately got between them, she would allow her best friend get hurt by her douche of a boyfriend. Her hands shook, but she was not going to back down.

The look on Dalton told her everything.

He was furious. Furious that she tried to run away. He loved her, and he was not going to let her go. She belonged to him. There was no one on earth that could keep him away. He pushed her, so she was besides Tobi.

Ruby held her breath, would he really do anything in front of the whole school? There was teachers, well not in the parking lot at the moment, but the commotion it would start would surely get the attention of the teachers.

Emmett and Jasper appeared out of nowhere, literally, Ruby didn’t even see them coming, but her mind was not processing how they got to her so fast, she was more concerned for Emmett’s safety. Her eyes lingered down, she could see Dalton’s gun on his waist. He covered it with his jacket, but she knew it was there.

Edward, Alice and Rosalie rushed to the scene. Edward got between his brothers and Dalton.

“I don’t think we want to cause trouble. Do we?” he said loud enough to sound as if he were reasoning with everyone, “why don’t we just go back to my car and bring Tobi and Ruby with us?”

Jasper moved to Tobi and took her away from the scene.

Emmett was having a harder time letting go. Dalton was the fucker that placed a hand on his beautiful Ruby. He could not just let him get away with it. She suffered because of him. The things he did to her made him want to kill him in front of everyone. He wanted so bad. He didn’t care for exposure.

“Emmett,” her soft, gentle voice spoke to him, “not here.”

He released Dalton with great effort. Dalton gave one look to Ruby that told her it wasn’t over. He went back to his car.

Emmett was struggling not to chase after him. He felt a warm hand over his clenched his hands. His eyes opened to meet her dark eyes.

She noticed his eyes had lost its golden color. She pushed that off of her head. She was more worried about something stupid he might do. His huge body relaxed under her soft touch. She linked hands with him and walked back to their car with Alice and Edward.

Emmett could feel Ruby’s body shaking. He wished he could comfort her in a loving way. He wanted to so damn badly, he almost did it, but he knew his thirst had come back, and he couldn’t risk biting her. It would be too tempting; he was both sad and relieved when she moved away from to go to Tobi.

The girls linked arms, Alice got a blanket from the trunk and gave it to them. She went on talking to distract the girls from what had happened.

But Ruby was scared. She was really scared. She didn’t want to endanger her friends lives. She wouldn’t know what to do if Dalton hurt them because of her. It made her want to just turn herself to him, so he wouldn’t hurt them, but she couldn’t, not after what he did to her. She wasn’t stupid and submissive. She would fight. She needed to.

When the bell rang, Alice took back the blanket. Ruby waved to Rosalie, and Alice as they left for class. She hugged Tobi before leaving with Emmett to her French class. She thought he would keep things casual, but he took her hand and laced their fingers. She wasn’t complaining, she liked it a lot, though his skin was cold, it was smooth and comforting. It went so well with hers.

In French class, he would notice her body tense every now and then.

Classes were a blur to Ruby, she wasn’t listening to anything the teachers were saying. Around lunch, she was making her way to the cafeteria. She was waited for Tobi.

She saw her. She saw Lauren and Jessica behind her and Bella. Tobi turned around and faced two face bitches.

“Look, instead of talking about the past why don’t you two find something new to gossip about? Face it, my business is getting pretty old and everyone has heard you two bitches bag on my every day since my incident. I don’t care if you think I’m a fucking slut,” –Tobi unfolded her arms and took a step closer to Lauren and Jessica- “but continue talking about me like I can’t fucking hear you and I’ll rip the ghetto extensions out of your heads and use it as nooses to hang you.”

Ruby laughed at what Tobi said as she approached them. She was so proud that Tobi was standing up for herself. It was about damn time.

Ruby laced her fingers with Tobi and walked over to the Cullen table with Bella. Bella sat next to Edward.

“My little girl’s all grown up!” she announced, sitting next to Emmett without hesitation and pulling Tobi down with her.

Emmett chuckled at her announcement.

Alice asked about the sleepover, about what they should do first, dress up or hair. Tobi pointed out that was Ruby’s forte. Alice said that after she was through with them, they were going to look so pretty.

Emmett leaned in close to Ruby’s ear.

“Not that you’re not already pretty,” he chuckled.

She actually blushed, and she cleared her throat. She wasn’t used to those kinds of compliments. She was used to hot, sexy, fucking good, and nice piece of ass. She was not used to pretty, beautiful, and everything else. Emmett made her feel like the most beautiful creature alive, with a black eye and busted lip.

“Um, what are you doing Sunday?” Alice asked the girls.

Tobi answered with excitement evident in her tone, “I was watching the news and it supposed to be extremely sunny, so I thought we could go to the beach in La Push.”

Ruby nodded, “I was going to ask you that, and I have to give Emily her clothes back anyway. We can leave first thing in the morning and just hang out for the rest of the day.” –She looked over at Bella and the Cullen’s- “would you guys want to come with us?”

Ruby noticed how tense everyone had gotten, beside herself and Ruby. It was like they were ashamed of something.

“Oh, come on! Please, it’ll be so much fun. We can even bring a Frisbee if you want… though I’d rather lie out and enjoy the sun,” Tobi said with hope in her eyes, she wanted her friends to come.

Ruby really needed a bit of a tan. Being in doors getting high, drinking and having sex had its side effects beside headaches and throwing up. She got pale. She wanted just a little glow on her skin.

Emmett almost drooled at the image of Ruby in a bikini barely covering her body, all wet.

Edward didn’t know which one had worse thoughts, Jasper or Emmett.

“Sunday isn’t good for me. I have to get up early with Carlisle and Edward to take my car to the mechanics.”

“You have a car too?” Tobi questioned her voice full of disbelief, “So, your brother has a kick ass Volvo and Rosalie has a BMW? You guys have no idea how lucky you are.”

“Trust me,” Rosalie whispered, “we aren’t.”

Emmett said he would walk her to English. The bell rang for the next class.

“What’s your excuse?” she asked him.

He looked down at her, and she had a serious look.

“Excuse for what?” he played the innocent card.

“Well, for denying our invitation to go to La Push. I mean, I did notice some tension between you guys last night, what is it?”

“One day, I’ll tell you, but I can’t, okay?” he really didn’t want to lie to her, so hopefully his tone said he didn’t want to elaborate.

She did pick it up, and she let it go.

After English, in AP Biology, she asked Emmett at what time they were going to pick up the girls tomorrow, and he said he had to check with Alice first. She told him to text her when he knew.

After class, Ruby and Tobi were on their way to her house, Tobi’s.

She asked if she could stay over, and Tobi said yes. Her comment about Holden was funny as hell.

The girls walked inside of the house. Ruby barely recognized Tobi’s dance instructor. Tobi danced, while Ruby drew. Ruby placed her sunglasses on before Tobi opened the door.

There in her living room was her dance instructor, whose name Ruby could never remember and Saline. She greeted them politely and with a smile.

“I’ll be upstairs,” Ruby winked at Tobi and chuckled.

She jogged upstairs and went inside of Tobi’s room. Her cell phone went off as she placed her things on the floor. She took off her glasses to check the screen. It was Dalton.

She hit ignore. She did it four more times when he kept calling. She knew she would have to change her phone number.

A few minutes later Tobi walked into her room with a bright smile on her face.

“Well, someone’s in a good mood,” Ruby turned off her phone and placed a smile on her lips, well as far as the wounds let her.

“I am, don’t you think everything is looking up?” Tobi laid down on the bed with a huge smile on her face.

“Oh, my God, you are so head over heels for Jasper,” Ruby snickered and laid beside her.

“And you are for Emmett,” Tobi poked her side.

“I am, Tobi. He makes me feel so beautiful.”

“What are they doing to us?”

“Putting us under a spell,” Ruby giggled. “I’m actually really looking forward to a sleepover, you know besides the ones you and I have.”

“It is nice to have other friends.”

“Hey!” Ruby said and feinted hurt.

Tobi laughed.

“You have to admit it’s nice to have new people.”

“Yes,” Ruby said, “but there is something so odd about them. Did you see how they got when we asked them to go to La Push with us?”

Tobi’s face frowned a bit and nodded. “Yeah.”

“Last night when the Cullen’s picked me up, they didn’t even get near the town, we had to go in the middle of the road. Sam looked like he was smelling something bad, and there was so much tension between them.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:D Thanks for the comments guys.