Sequel: Brilliant Lies
Status: Complete

Not Your Enemy

Another Girl

Image

On Tuesday morning, Ruby woke up in the arms of Emmett, he had his eyes closed, they were in his room. Last night, he was able to convince her to leave the hospital, so she could get some rest.

Tobi’s family was staying over at Bella’s home. It had been Charlie whom had insisted that they should stay there. Ruby would’ve offered to stay at her home, but she knew that was just impossible because her aunt and uncle would just not allow it, and she wouldn’t allow Holden and Hannah to be in that kind of danger.

Ruby smirked as she got an idea. She lifted his shirt and began to kiss his stomach. He didn’t move, and she continued to move up, his shirt was pulled along with it. She reached the middle of his chest.

She stopped there. She didn’t hear a heartbeat. She panicked.

“Emmett!” she shook him.

Emmett opened his eyes immediately, “What?!”

She relaxed to see him alive.

He sat up straight. He should’ve stopped it, but he had been enjoying her touch and kisses way too much.

“You-your heart… there was nothing. I-I thought you were dead,” she explained softly.

“Dead?”

She nodded her head slowly. “How… God, I must be going insane.”

He laughed. “It’s okay, I’m right behind you.”

She laughed and ran a hand through her hair. She went to his chest to feel if there was a heartbeat, but he took her hand and kissed it.

“We have school to get to, baby,” he said and quickly got out of bed.

“Emmett, do we have to? I mean, my best friend just barely survived a fire. I want to make sure she’s all right.”

Emmett checked the time. “It’s still early, we could drive by the hospital and you can say hello and then we go to school.”

She groaned. “Ugh, you’re such a goody two shoes.”

He laughed. “I know,” he winked.

Ruby and Emmett quickly went to the hospital and greeted Tobi. Jasper and Paul were still in her room. Ruby greeted Jasper nicely and ignored Paul. All of the boys stepped out and let the girls have their privacy.

“How are you holding up, kiddo?” she asked her French best friend.

Tobi shrugged. “Oh, I’m just dandy. You know, I just can’t dance anymore.”

Ruby frowned. “Whoa, no need for the heavy sarcasm. A simple no would’ve been fine.”

“Crap, I’m sorry… I’m just…”

“No need to be sorry, Tobi, you’ve gone through hell. It’s okay to have a little hate in your heart, just don’t let it overcome you.”

“And that is why you’re my best friend,” Tobi smiled. “Your occasional wisdom is astounding.”

Ruby scoffed. “Occasional? How about every single day?”

They girls shared a nice laugh together about that.

Ruby and Emmett headed to school, Jasper and Paul were going to stay. Ruby knew those two would just cause trouble, but she also knew they wouldn’t do it in front of Tobi.

School dragged on and on.

She literally thought it was never going to end, and when it did, she was a happy camper. She and Emmett headed back to the hospital. Emmett had to go check in with his dad, so he let Ruby go on by herself to Tobi’s room.

Ruby hummed to herself as she pushed the button to get to Tobi’s room.

She got off the elevator and went to Tobi’s room.

She opened the door and she walked in on Tobi and Paul just about to kiss. Ruby, Tobi and Paul froze. Their eyes were on each other.

“Um,” Tobi’s voice said, her voice reddened, even though her skin was dark, Ruby could tell she had red cheeks, “hey, Ruby.”

Ruby walked in the rest of the way and glared at Paul.

“Hey, Tobi, Paul… dearest friend, would you mind coming outside and chat with me for a bit?”

“I would mind,” he growled and started to shake, but when Tobi placed her hand on his, he calmed down.

“Just go,” she told him.

Paul had a nice, soft look for Tobi, but when he turned to Ruby, he glared. He got up and followed Ruby outside of the room. Ruby flashed Tobi a grin and winked as she closed the door.

She turned to Paul and had a sweet smile, it was fake, of course.

“Look, buddy, here is the deal,” she poked his chest, hard, “Jasper is a cool guy and he’s with Tobi. You will not get in the middle of that because I’ve never seen her so happy since he came into her life.”

“He’ll also be the death of her, and yours too if you stay with those Pale Faces!” he hissed at her.

“Pale Faces? Seriously? You couldn’t come up with something better? Half of Forks is pale, duh,” she smacked him on the back of head. “She has a boyfriend, she doesn’t need anymore drama, okay? Don’t confuse her. I thought your imprint was brotherly,” she crossed her arms.

“I thought so too.”

“Well, which one is it, then?”

“Only one way to find out.”

“How--”

Paul kissed her and luckily, for him, he caught her lips when her lips were parted, so he had his tongue inside of her mouth. He backed her up into a wall and pressed his body, so she wouldn’t move away.

He was trying to prove to himself he could kiss another girl and feel something. Ruby was cute, he wouldn’t deny that, but as the kiss progressed, he didn’t feel a thing. His heart didn’t hammer like it did when he almost kissed Tobi.

He groaned when he felt a pain down there. She had kneed him.

She pushed him away and wiped her mouth.

“You… are such a tool!”

“I was trying to make sure I could kiss other girls,” he said through the pain.

“You should’ve gone for another girl!”

“Yeah, I know that now,” he wheezed.

“Okay then, good thing we’re clear. I won’t say anything, if you don’t, okay?”

He gave her the thumbs up.

“Go home and brush your teeth, your breath stinks,” she told him and went back inside of the room with Tobi.

Tobi looked alert when she walked in.

“What happened? I heard someone in pain,” Tobi said, worried.

“Paul was being a douche, so I kicked him in the nuts.”

Tobi gasped. “Ruby!”

Ruby smirked. “Oh, don’t worry, he’ll still be able to have babies. But the woman who does want to have babies with him is doomed and cursed.”

Tobi laughed.

“I’m not going to ask what happened when I first came in here, but… I need to know,” Ruby sat down on the bed.

Tobi shook her head. “Nothing happened.”

“Yeah, because I came in, otherwise, if I had been ten seconds late, I would’ve found you two kissing each other.”

“I would’ve stopped it!”

“Yeah? Paul sure uses a lot of tongue, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have gotten a single word out,” Ruby said to herself in a mumble.

“Huh?” Tobi asked.

“Nothing! I won’t mention it if you promise me that nothing is going to almost happen again.”

“I promise. I love Jasper, I wouldn’t hurt him.”

Ruby smirked. “You said the L word.”

Tobi blinked in surprise. “I did?”

“You did,” Ruby poked her side. “You’re in love, you’re in love, you’re in love!” she said in a sing song voice.

The girls were interrupted by Alice, Rosalie, Esme, and Bella. Eventually it got late and the girls left, except for Ruby.

An hour later, Emmett walked inside of the room with a plan in mind.

“Tobi,” Emmett said innocently.

“Yeah?” Tobi asked.

“Please tell Ruby that it would be great for her to go out with me tonight.”

Tobi smirked. “I think it’d be a splendid idea.”

Ruby made a face. “I’m not leaving her alone.”

“She won’t be alone,” Jasper walked in, his eyes were a brighter topaz color. He had just come from feeding.

“So, let’s go,” Emmett took Ruby’s hand and pulled her off of the chair.

“Where are we going?”

“Somewhere special,” he smirked. “So special we’re not going to school tomorrow.”

“Aw, yay!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments y'all!