Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

Mike's home!

BUZZ!
The sweet sound of good news, it’s about time. I run over to the intercom and press the button to unlock the door. Mike’s here, Mike’s here, I feel like a little kid, that is, plus a sex drive. I open the door and low and behold Mike walking up to it.
“I missed you.” I say enthusiastically as I wrap my arms around him.
“Missed you too.” He says as his lips come crashing against mine.
“Do you have to do that in the hallway!” one of my neighbors screeches. Mike and I laugh as we part and head into the apartment.

“So how did your interview go?”
“Urgh, horrible.” I sigh, “I got there and the interviewer started making umm comments about my appearance, so I sort of got pissed at him for coming onto me, then I found out he was gay.” Mike starts laughing, “To top it off, they called the wrong person; they were looking for a radio announcer, not a recording technician.”
“That sucks.” He says calmly as he wanders around the apartment, I know he’s checking to make sure I didn’t have to pawn anything or something like that. He’s trying to look like he trusts my judgment but he’s got that sort of worried look on his face. He picks a piece of paper off the coffee table.
“Oh, Maddy got accepted on the competition swim team too.” He smiles, “Stella called me yesterday telling me she got on the team.”
“That’s great.” I say uneasily, I can’t afford the three hundred bucks for Maddy to be on the team, transportation and uniform costs. Mike looks me up and down.
“I know you didn’t want my help but, I can pay this for you.” he says holding up the letter.
“I-I-I, thank you.” I say going up to him and wrapping my arms around him, “But that’s it.”
“Alright.” He says simply.

The phone starts to ring, I let out a low grunt as I go to pick it up.
“Hello?”
“Hey, umm Jade.”
“Who’s this?”
“Its Lyle.” He says. Fuck!
“Oh, hi, didn’t recognize your voice.” I say in false-apology.
“Hey well, you know March break is coming up,” he starts then pauses, “I was wondering if Madison would like to come with me on a ski trip, in British Columbia, I mean you can come to if you want and-“
“Uhh sorry Lyle, Maddy and I already have plans for March break.”
“Which are?”
“We’re uhh going on vacation.”
“It’s with Mike isn’t it?” He says bitterly.
“Well yeah, he sort of organized it because his band will be on tour and-“
“Yeah, okay I get the message.” He says slightly upset, “Do you think I can have Maddy over for the weekend?” my mind freezes, “I mean I’ll come pick her up and everything so you won’t have to drive all the way to Sacramento.”
“Umm well, you know what, Maddy’s at school right now; I’ll ask her if she’s up for it, then I’ll call you back.” I say quickly.
“Uhh okay then.” He says slightly ticked off, “So if you call back before five, call my work number.”
“No problem.” I say simply, “Buh-bye.”
“Bye.”

I hang up the phone and return next to Mike.
“Lyle?” he asks cautiously.
“Yeah.”
“What did he want?”
“He wanted to take Maddy skiing over March break.”
“Oh.” He says guiltily, “he pissed?”
“A bit.” I sigh, “But never mind him, he’s had a whole decade to take interest, to bad for him if he picked the wrong week.”
“Mmm Jade.” Mike says as he wraps his arms around me, “Just out of curiosity, am I the first boyfriend you’ve had that he’s seen you with.” I think for a moment to all my past boyfriends and come to realize Lyle hasn’t met any of them.
“Uh yeah, I’ve tried my best to distance him since the incident when Maddy was four.”

*
“Mike!” Maddy squeals when she gets home, she hugs him tightly for a second.
“Hey Maddy.” He says sweetly, “I heard you got on the swim team.”
“Yeah! Stella too!”
“Yup.” He looks up at me with a smile.

“Maddy, your dad called.”
“Lyle.” She says overly-clearly.
“Yeah and he wanted to know if you wanted to spend the weekend with him.”
“Do I have to?” she asks curiously. I glance at Mike then back at her.
“Well, he really wants to see you.” I say putting my hands in my pocket.
“Why?”
“Because he’s your Dad.” Mike provides.
“He’s my father, not my dad,” she says gruffly, “Honestly, Mike is more like my dad then he is.” I can see Mike blushing red.
“Umm why don’t you give your da-Lyle a chance, if you want to come home at any time you can call me up and I’ll be there as fast as I can.”

She sighs then looks at Mike then at me.
“But you said yourself, he’s an ass hole.”
“I know what I said, but he’s still your father and well his original idea was that you spend March break with him.”
“NO!” she exclaims, “I wanna go on vacation with you guys and Stella!”
“Yeah, I told him, so he suggested this weekend.”
“Oh fine.” She pouts, “When’s he coming?”
“I have to call him.” I say going over to the phone.

Out of the corner of my eye is see Maddy crossing her arms upset and Mike bending down to her level and talking to her. RING! RING! RING!
“Hello.”
“Hey, it’s Jade.”
“Oh hey.” He says smoothly, “so what says Madison?”
“She says she’s up for it.” I say coolly.
“Great, can I pick her up right after work?”
“Uhh yeah, when will you be bringing her back?”
“Sunday evening okay?” he asks.
“Yeah sure, and uhh I’d appreciate it if she did her homework by that time.”
“No problem,” he sounds honest when he speaks, it’s a sort of change, “I’ll be at your place at around six.”
“Kay I’ll see you then.” I say hanging up the phone.

“Just because it took him a while doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you.” Mike says to Maddy, “When I got divorced, I hated not being able to see Stella any time of day.”
“I’m almost ten!”
“Well, how old’s your dad? Thirty? For us old farts turning thirty has a major affect on us, makes us take our lives into consideration. He realized his mistakes and now he’s trying to make things right.”
“So what happened when you turned thirty?” she asks with a grin.
“Yeah Mike, do tell.” I chant in.
“Uhh, me, Bill and Tre decided it was time to stop exposing ourselves on stage.”
“Exposing?” Maddy pauses, “Ohh! Eww!”
“And that’s why.” Mike laughs