Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

Johnny Thunder

“Gotta go now.” Mike whispers in my ear. I’m barely awake, but I do notice he’s already dressed with his jacket on and everything.
“No.” I moan as I pull him close to me, “You have to stay here and do naughty things to me.”
“Stop tempting me,” he laughs, “Morning breath and all.” I playfully shove him away.
“Go away then.” I say crossing my arms.
“Awe. Don’t be like that.” Mike says smiling his goddamn sexy smile.
“Okay then.” I say standing up on the bed and jumping him; he falls back against the wall nearly causing a dent in the wall. We both snort with laughter as I put my feet down on the floor.
“Smooth.” He teases. I wrap my arms around him and kiss his lips, “Won’t be that long, I mean March break is in like a week or two.”
“Yeah, yeah.” I giggle as I kiss him once more.
“Now I really got to go, I have to drop Stella off at her mom’s.”

I follow Mike out of the room and he goes into Maddy’s room and plucks Stella out of bed.
“Mmm.” She says rubbing her eyes.
“Gotta go.” Mike says as he adjusts her against himself. She rests her head on his shoulder and closes her eyes, “See you soon.” He whispers as I go to give him one last kiss. I open the door for him and then he’s gone.

I stretch out my arms and look at the clock on the stove to see it’s not even seven yet. I yawn and go back to bed.
“Mom, wake up.” Maddy says shaking me.
“Mmm?” I say getting up, “My alarm didn’t go off.”

After driving Maddy to school I head downtown to the radio station. I wait in the same room for my interview.
“I think you called the wrong person again.” I say smiling as I enter the office. Mr. Farson just laughs.
“Oh no, you’re the right person this time.” I take my seat across from him, “I know you said you were a recording technician but is there anyway I can convince you to drop it and become an announcer.”
“An announcer, but don’t you-“
“Everyone else I interviewed had no personality, no flare, but you did and you weren’t even trying!”
“Oh.” I say blushing, “Well there’s one way I’ll be convinced.” I say after a moment of two.
“What’s that?”
“That I get March break off.” I say firmly, “I’ve sorta got plans.”
“Oh, and what are they?” he says fascinated.
“Well, my boyfriend’s band is on tour and I’ll be joining them that week.”
“Oh! What band?” he asks excitedly, “Are they local?”
“I guess you can say that,” I laugh, “Its Green Day.”
“Now you’re just pulling my leg.” he chuckles, I shake my head seriously, “Well how’d you meet, I seriously doubt they just pick out people from the mosh pit at random to be they’re girlfriends.”
“We met at a coffee shop actually, on a nice Saturday afternoon.” He laughs.
“I can’t picture you with a raven-haired man.”
“Well it’s a good thing I’m not dating the guitarist then.” I say smiling.
“Oh, one for the drummer, eh?”
“One more try, I’m with the bassist.”
“But the bassist never gets the girl.” He teases.

He looks up something on his computer then looks back up at me.
“It says here Three Days Grace will be opening for them,” he pauses, “Here’s what I propose.”
“Shoot.”
“We’ll loan you a lap top fit with recording equipment so you can do daily interviews with the different band members from both bands, about a twenty minute segment each day.”
“Sounds great,” I pause, “What show would I be doing?”
“The lunch hour show.” He says smiling, “Its pretty good hours actually.”
“Great.” I laugh.
“You’ll be working with a co-host, Johnny Thunder as he likes to be called.”
“Do I have to come up with a name like that too?”
“Hmph, what about Rocker Jade?”
“Cool. When do I start?” he looks at his watch.
“We start recording the lunch hour segment in about an hour, so you can stick around and start today.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. Oh and I guess I should mention the lunch hour segment is more than an hour, it’s from eleven thirty to one thirty.”
“I don’t think that’ll be a problem.”
“Great, well you can have a look around the place or go do your thing and come back in an hour.” He says motioning for me to leave.

I leave the office and take out my cell phone immediately. I call Mike.
“Hey Jade.”
“Mike! I got the job!” I screech.
“Whoa, way to yell in my ear.” He laughs, “that’s great.”
“It gets better,” I pause, “I still get to tour with you guys on March break, on the condition that I interview your band and Three Days Grace.”
“Awe no.” he mutters, “I don’t like you journalists,” we both laugh, “But isn’t it a recording tech thingy, why would you interview us?”
“No, you see, he liked my Jadness or whatever you call it so much he thought I’d make a good announcer for the lunch hour show.”
“Groovy.”
“Groovy?” I snort, “I’m gonna co-host with a guy named Johnny Thunder.”
“I love that guy!” Mike exclaims, “He’s so fucking hilarious.”
“Want me to get you a signed photo.” I joke, “So you can show Billie and Tre then giggle like little school girls.”
“How’d you know?” he says in a shrieky girly voice.
“Mmm, okay I’m gonna go now, I’ll call you later.”
“Okay, good luck.” He says, “Love ya.”
“Love ya too.” I say as I hang up.

“Hey you!” someone calls from behind me, I whip around to see a middle aged man with his arms crossed, “Are you the new host for the lunch hour?”
“Yeah.” I say cautiously.
“I’m Johnny Thunder.” He says marching up to me and shaking my hand.
“Woah.”
“Woah what?”
“I always pictured you as, well, younger.”
“Umm, well, I’ve been doing this gig a long time honey.” He laughs.
“Yeah, I hope that calling me honey doesn’t become a habit.”
“Oh yay, a feisty one.” He chuckles, “Just between you and me, Farson has been getting the worst co-hosts ever. They just eat the shit they’re thrown.”
“I say, throw it back and make your own.”
“We’re gonna get along great, umm your name?”
“Jade Sombry, well Rocking Jade as Farson put it.”
“Very cool.” He says nodding as he walks past me. Just wait till I tell Mike how old this guy is.