My Best Friend Fell in Love with the Boy at the Rockshow

That's what friends are for...

"Hello?" I ask. I'm laying on Mike's couch...in his dorm...ok then...

"Hey, how are you?" Mike says walking over to me.

"Um...fine...why wouldn't I be?"

"Don't you remember anything?" he asks confused.

"No..." I say but then it hits me. The golf, Will, fainting...

"We went out to play mini golf..." he says

"Actually I do remember now. What exactly happeneed after I passed out?"

"I freaked out and drove you to the hospital. They figured out you were dehydrated and there was an IV in your arm. After you woke up this morning..."

"I woke up this morning?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Oh...sorry, continue."

"As I was saying, after you woke up this morning they cleared you to go home...but I decided to bring you here because you fell asleep and it wouldn't have been a good idea to leave you alone."

"Wow, thanks."

"Sure, anytime. So...do you need anything?"

"Actually, I think I'm ready to go home." I say trying to hide my sorrow. All my thoughts of Will are coming back to me.

"Caroline, are you sure you want to go?" he asks, looking concerned. It's nice of him to care.

"Yeah, I have a few things to do."

"Ok, I'll take you." he says, grabbing his car keys. We walk outside and get in his car. A few minutes into the ride, Mike realizing I'm upset.

"What's on your mind?"

"Nothing." I say quickly.

"Come on, I can tell you're upset. Just talk to me."

"Well...I'm thinking about Will." I say. An aukward silence follows.

"Were you thinking about him yesterday too?" he asks

"Yeah...right before I passed out."

"That probably didn't help." he said

"No...I guess not." I say. Another silence follows.

"Wy were you thinking about him?" Mike asks. I tell him the whole story, everything from our first date to me seeing visions of him before I pass out.

"I'm sorry...I didn't know about the first date thing..."

"It's okay, why would you have known?"

"I know how you feel. My mother passed away when I was five...she had lung cancer."

"So that's something we have in common." I say

"You have lung cancer?" he asks

"No...I meant you and me have something in common. We both have lost someone we love." I say sadly. For the rest of the ride, we both are lost in our thoughts. He walks me to my door.

"Well...I'm sorry and I hope you'll be okay." Mike says

"It's okay, and I'll be fine." I say. Then I reach out and hug him.

"What was that for?" he asks.

"For two things. One for helping me out and two for your mom." I say. He smiles and leaves. I look out my window and watch him drive away, wondering what he's thinking about.