Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 41: 12th May 2006

Frank awoke from his slumber just after midday. He could hear the distant sound of Gerard humming a cheerful tune as the kettle boiled in the kitchen.
He rolled over to face the dip in the bed where Gerard had slept that morning and smiled. At first it was a little weird seeing him sleep on Jamia’s side of the bed. He had half been expecting her to come striding in and find them sleeping together after she had been gone only a few hours, because she still had her key. But he soon relaxed to the idea and snuggled into Gerard, letting him protect him. It felt like he had been living with him for years.
It was weird. He had been with Jamia for five years, so surely it should hurt more than it did now? Twenty-four hours hadn’t even passed since her departure, and it already felt like he was over her. It stung him slightly. Was he being a heartless bastard?
He sighed, not caring what the answer to that question was. He still had Gerard, and that was all that mattered.
He eventually decided that he had better get up and see what Gerard was doing, so he managed to prise himself away from the tangled sheets and struggle onto his feet. He felt peculiarly hung over, even though he hadn’t drunk a drop. Making a mental note to take a shower after he had eaten something, he had departed from the bedroom and wandered into the kitchen where the aroma of strong coffee filled his nostrils.

Gerard was sat at the kitchen table sipping from a cup of coffee, wearing nothing but a pair of revealingly tight boxer shorts. His hair was ruffled cutely at the back, where his head had been resting against the pillow. His hazel eyes looked weary and deadbeat, but they were instantly filled with adoration and joy at the sight of Frank entering the room.
Frank had to stop himself from drooling at the gorgeous creature before him as he collapsed wearily in the seat opposite.

“’morning, babe.” Gerard smiled, taking another sip from his steaming cup. He glanced at the clock. “Or should I say afternoon?”

Frank smiled tiredly and rubbed his eyes.

Gerard’s smile turned into a look of concern. “Baby? Are you feeling okay?”

“Mm… just feeling a little weak, that’s all.” Frank managed to croak out. He was surprised at how small his voice sounded. There was a dull clink as Gerard put the cup back on the wooden surface of the table.

“That’s just heartbreak honey.” Gerard said simply, getting up and moving over to the kettle. “You had better drink something and have some breakfast.”

Frank didn’t really feel like eating. He couldn’t really feel much, even the huge gash on his cheek had stopped stinging. He could only feel gratitude and admiration for Gerard being here for him.

“But I don’t feel heartbroken though.” Frank said, becoming suddenly interested in a hangnail. “It’s like the pain has passed and I’ve forgotten all about her…is that a bad thing, Gee?”

Gerard poured out a coffee for Frank and another for himself. “Think about it. Do you think it’s bad? Because I don’t. It’s good that you’re getting on with things and not whining every two minutes, trust me.”

“But I feel awful. It hasn’t even been a day and I’m already over her.” Frank sighed and took the cup, but didn’t drink from it. Still wondering what the hell was wrong with himself, he continued. “I just feel…numb. Even when I was hitting myself this morning I couldn‘t even feel the pain.”

Gerard stopped moving around for a minute, standing in the middle of the room with a packet of Pop Tarts in his hand. It looked as if he were thinking deeply, staring at the same spot on the wall in front of him. Eventually he sighed and then spoke.

“You are a strange one, Frank Iero. But I love you for it.”

Frank cracked a true smile for the first time in what felt like years. He managed to haul himself up from the chair and took Gerard’s hands in his own, tossing the box containing his breakfast on the table. Frank stood on the tips of his toes and kissed Gerard on the forehead sweetly. Gerard giggled, forgetting that he had to practically force the younger man to eat and drink.

“Marry me?” Frank smiled, staring deeply into Gerard’s hazel eyes.

Gerard mocked thinking about his decision, dropping Frank’s hands and standing with a hand on his hip.

“No, wait a second.” Frank said, moving past him and opening a drawer. He fumbled around in it for a second, before finding what he was looking for. A packet of ring-shaped sweets.

Gerard laughed as Frank got down on one knee and held out a orange flavoured treat before him.

“Now will you marry me?”

The older man took the sticky ring from him and admired it. “I graciously accept Mr Iero! Now drink that coffee and eat something decent, or I may have to spank you!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea if gay marriage is legal or not in the USA, but in my story it is, haha =]
x