The Sharpest Lives

o7

Gerard’s stomach sank into his heels.

“What?” He asked, trying to convince himself he’d heard wrong.

Laurie didn’t repeat herself, she just let a tear escape and roll down her cheek. She nodded, biting her lower lip until it turned white. “I didn’t want her to become attached to you, Gerard. I didn’t want her to want anything to do with you. It makes it harder for everyone.”

Gerard didn’t say anything. He hadn’t taken Laurie’s words personally because he understood her angle. He looked down at his feet as she continued.

“She considers you a father figure, you know.” Laurie spoke with a little laugh. “She loves you, Gerard. I mean that.”

Gerard felt tears well up in the corners of his eyes. His heart split into two, he felt physical pain from the older woman’s words. He gasped for air as tears finally spilled over and he let out a panicked sob, covering his mouth with his shaking hand to muffle the ones that followed.

“She’s dying, Gerard.” Laurie whispered, he could tell the conversation was over. “She’s dying and she loves you and now you have to be there for her when she needs it, or she’ll never forgive you.”

What Laurie was saying was not any form of guilt-trip. She wasn’t trying to make Gerard feel bad or cruel or unkind. She was simply stating facts. And as harsh as those facts were, Gerard had to know. It was extremely difficult for him not to cry out in absolute agony at the tearing pain that was now built up in his chest, directly where his heart would have been.

And as he sobbed, Laurie walked out of the kitchen and took her daughter’s hand. Gerard heard Natalie call a goodbye to him and then they were both gone for however much time it would be until the next time they came across each other.

Gerard kept a mental note of Laurie’s phone number, which he had remembered. He wrote it down, still shaking and sobbing and then he made his way to the couch, because it was much closer than his bedroom.

His legs gave out all of a sudden, not only because of the amount of energy he’d wasted on crying, but in realization.

Gerard really did love Natalie, and losing her would be the biggest loss he would ever go through.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the second update tonight, and it only took me ten minutes to write. That's why it's so short. I just felt like I could have added this to chapter six but I really want to have as many chapters as possible, because I'm terrible at writing really long stories.
I would seriously appreciate comments. Like, story love is what I need at this point to continue this. So, pretty please, go post a comment on this story, telling me you love it or you hate it you don't really care in the end, I just need to know that somebody is reading it.

I'd like to clarify that this chapter doesn't decide the fate of this story. Don't jump to any conclusions, because as for now I'm not going to tell you whether or not the ending is happy or sad.

I'm being kicked off of the computer by my brother (if you want to drop a comment about him being an asshole, please do it will make me smile).

Forever and a day,
Sydney.