‹ Prequel: Smiles & Heartaches
Status: On Going.

Teardrops & Stars

Chapter 8: Have No Fear, Cupcake Boy is Here

We took sectionals again. It was an amazing night. We had pizza; we had a mini party in the bus ride home. Nate’s congratulatory kisses... But that was a week ago. And tomorrow I had an audition to attend to. I stared at our new trophy in the hallway. I’d really miss the glee rehearsals if I got to Hollywood. I’d miss the fun jam sessions on the weekends when we had nothing to do. I’d miss Nate. And if there was a slight chance I’ll get far in the competition I’d miss regionals and nationals. I’d miss Nate more. I’ll probably miss prom and even though I’m still a sophomore, Nate said he’ll take me again (first time being his junior prom, and believe me, I wasn’t the only freshman there). The feeling of the impending thing tomorrow was taking a toll on my sleeping habits. I couldn’t sleep well. Just the mere thought of seeing Kara, Randy, Ellen, and whoever the guest judge is tomorrow made me excited, and nervous. But mostly excited really. The bell rang, signaling me that I am late for English. And that my boyfriend is probably pacing the front of that room. How long was I lost in my little bubble of memory?
“Hey Derek!” Patrick, a freshman, one of my glee mates, ran over to me. “What’s up? Are you ready for tomorrow?”
I smiled. “Yes, of course, I’ve been waiting for this moment.”
“Great, you know, we’ll come wait with you guys tomorrow; we got the bus reserved and ready.” He said, almost – no pun intended – gleefully. “I’m so excited; one of you guys could be the next American Idol! I’m gonna try my best to vote for every one of you.”
“Thanks for the support, Patrick.” He nodded and gave me another good luck before jogging into his next class. See I told you we’d have him crazier before long.
I was in no real hurry. This might even be my last day at school if all things go my way. But I won’t get my hopes up; there are only select parts of my life that goes my way. One being glee. Second being Nate. I couldn’t think of a third or fourth right now but it’s there somewhere locked in my head. I started to pick up the pace because I was going to be really late if I continue to walk like this.
“Ah, Mr. Breaker, nice of you to join us.” I’d interrupted Mrs. Babylon’s class once. That’s all I’m gonna ever get. The next time would be detention. But there won’t be a next time, right? I’m trying to be optimistic. I apologized and took a seat right beside Adam. He was exuding excitement. Knowing him, he might be thinking this is his last day too. And why shouldn’t it be? He was a great singer, I mean, don’t you know his range? It’s an eight octave range; it’s amazing for a guy his age!
(****)
After English, I decided not to listen to school today, I’m too tired. I’ll listen next time. I was so out of it that day, I slept through lunch. Could you believe that? Me? Sleep through lunch?! It’s just unnatural. I chose to spend this day with my friends instead of Nate, he doesn’t mind.
“Oh my gosh, there’s the new American Idol!” Carrie pointed with her little hand. Denise laughed with her and I smiled. Sam nudged me. I woke up from my nap in the cafeteria.
“Stop it you guys.” I blushed. And I tried to completely wake up.
“Oh, look at him, you know you like it!” Denise said. “It’s your time to shine!” We laughed.
“Don’t forget us, okay?” Sam said.
“Aww, I’ll always remember you... um, David.” I faked some stupid glance at his direction and he laughed, shaking his head. “No seriously, your name is David right.”
“Okay, stop trying to be funny.” Sam said, digging into his food. My friends’ passive craziness drowned out my debatably boring morning. It was nice being here, normal (well as normal as we could get) and just eating. Well, they’re eating anyway. The funny taste in my mouth didn’t make me want to eat. But it could mask my nasty sleep breath. I should just get a mint or something. Luckily, Carrie had one.
“I wonder if we could still take regionals without you guys.” Sam wondered sullenly. “I mean Ri, Adrianne, Chace Adam, you, there goes our chances.” I was surprised when he included me. I couldn’t help but feel happy, bad, and proud. They don’t really mix well.
“Hey now, don’t feel bad.” I patted his back. “There are still like what? 15 of you guys, you could take sectionals, besides all of you have great voices! You’d still get far without us.”
“That’s what you want me to think.” He smirked, finally feeling better, I suppose. Lunch time was still a little bit fuzzy for me since I woke up from a nap. History made me want to fall asleep, sorry Ms. Silena. The whole staying awake all night rehearsing my audition is taking its toll. But how could I sleep when I’m too excited to do that?
I’ll be auditioning for a T.V. show!
“Hey, you seemed really out of it today?” I jumped when Nate appeared beside me while I walked to my book club. Today we’ll be discussing Wuthering Heights, I hate the book but for some reason I keep reading it. Maybe I’m hoping for something amazingly good to happen. “I’m sorry. Did I scare you?”
“Uh, no, I’m just tired.” I smiled weakly. I wonder if I could get through this book club without me falling asleep. Truth be told, it could get really boring.
“I noticed.” He chuckled. “I was going to ask you out tonight but I’m guessing you need your rest.”
I groaned. “Oh no, Nate, tell me, take me anywhere. I don’t need sleep.”
He rolled his eyes. “I’m driving you home tonight and there’s nothing you can do about it. Besides, you said you had a day off, you need to relax for that.” He held my hand. “You need to sleep; you’ve got an audition tomorrow.”
“I work well enough if I don’t get enough sleep. Maybe they’ll think I’m fun!” I jumped and threw my hands up. He laughed.
“No excuses, Derek Breaker.” Oh I like the way he said my name right now. “Oh here’s your book club place. Have fun.” He leaned down slightly to kiss me.
“Thanks. I’ll see you later.” I said, breathless. He smiled again, this time showing me his teeth. Oh I’m gonna miss those things. I prepared myself to enter. Don’t fall asleep now. They’ll kick yo’ ass!
“Surprise!” Now this was a surprise. The room was filled with streamers, balloons, and other little party stuff. Everyone was smiling and Selina (one of my book club friends) held up the cake that read: Good luck tomorrow!
I laughed and they took a picture of me. “Oh my gosh! What’s all this?”
“Well,” Hugh, another club member said as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. It’s funny because he’s the only person who was a nerd but had great blond hair. It’s probably the oddest thing I had to look at every month. “We decided, since you’re gonna be a star one day and forget us, to throw you a good luck party!”
“Aww, you guys, you shouldn’t have! And I won’t forget any of you!” I laughed. “I mean do you see any glee clubbers here besides me? You understand my book needs!” They laughed and I each gave them a hug. They brought me little key chains and new bookmarks. Some chipped in to buy me the complete Hunger Games series. I squealed a little bit.
“Time for cake?” Alexa asked.
“Oh yes, time for cake!” I laughed. She ran her finger through the icing and ran it down my cheek. “Ugh! You little whore!” She laughed and I ran my own finger into the cake and smudged it on her. “Who’s laughing now?” We continued and everyone else joined in. Mrs. McCarthey’s (the literature teacher) room will need some serious cleaning after this.
But the fun part was that she joined in on us. The bell rang and we groaned in unison. “Someone start a fire so we can evacuate the school and stop class!” Evan announced, we laughed a little bit as we wiped off pieces of cake.
“Sorry Mrs. McCarthey.” Bill said as we cleaned up quickly.
She shrugged. Then she pulled off some stray icing out of her chocolate colored skin. “Well, I haven’t had that much fun since my birthday. Good luck, Derek.”
“Thanks Mrs. McCarthey. I smiled and went out of the room.
“Woah! What kind of book were you talking about?” Nate laughed, grabbing me by the shoulders. “You look like a cupcake.”
“Thanks.” I replied in a cheery voice. “Walk me to class?”
“Sure cupcake boy.” He shrugged and grabbed my hand. He ran his finger across my cheek and put it in his mouth. “Mm. Vanilla.”
“For your information, Mr. Prynce, it was a cookies and cream cake.” He shrugged and kissed my cheek. At class, I was feeling really sticky. One of my book club friends sat beside me so it wouldn’t be so weird. Luckily this was just French class.