‹ Prequel: Smiles & Heartaches
Status: On Going.

Teardrops & Stars

Chapter 9: Keep Calm and Sing Your Heart Out

For added fun, our glee mates decided to come with us for our auditions. It was one fun hour. Nate was even singing along! That doesn’t happen much. Alex was here too, since he came to support Katie. Of course, word got out right then and there when he showed up for her. Ri’s boyfriend, captain of the basketball team, Roger (she kill anyone who laughs at his name) they were being all sweet like in the front seat. Luckily for Jessica, Shane (glee mate) was there for her, even though they’re not technically dating yet, they were really cute while they talked.
On the far right, Adrianne was talking to her girlfriend over the phone (what? It’s not like I can be the only one who’s queer). Unfortunately Nicole – her girlfriend – couldn’t come because she’s in the hospital, having just recently broken her arm during cheer practice. I wish she came though, I liked Nicole she was fun, stupid injury. Matt and Chace were psyching themselves out, getting ready. Travis was listening to his iPod amidst the crazy zest happening to the bus. Nate laughed along with everyone and I really liked seeing him like that, smiling wide. Laughing hard.
I’m gonna miss him so much.
“Okay we’re here kids!” Cameron, our bus driver, announced and we bounded off the bus, thanking him.
“Woo! This is so exciting!” Amy announced as we walked off. Nate was talking to his friend, Nessa as we walked to the building. People around us stopped and stared at the huge amount of teens walking down the street. We chatted noisily and the 10 of us went ahead to get our numbers. All consecutive, it was so cute, for me anyway.
“I’m so psyched for you guys!” Tiffany and Susie said at the same time, they laughed. We sat somewhere in the back, while everyone else was looking. This might’ve been a really big group for them. Some were going into the room already, making me really nervous.
“Hey, what do we have here?” And Ryan Seacrest showed up with a camera crew.
“Oh crap! It’s Ryan Seacrest!” Marie announced and a couple of heads turned to his direction. The chaos ensued.
“Are all of you going to audition?” He laughed.
“No, just us.” Adrianne announced and motioned us to step forward.
“Oh wow, quite a support group you have here.”
“Well, we’re close.” I shrugged, feeling weird with the camera on me.
“So are you guys a club or something?” Ryan asked.
“Yeah, we’re a glee club.” Will spoke up. “From Kingsley High.”
“Oh I’ve read about you guys on the newspaper. They say you’re pretty good.” Ryan smiled. For a while, it was like on the show where we get interviewed one by one. It was a fun interview. I wonder if my parents would see me. Doubt it, they don’t usually watch TV. That’s when the day really started. My nerves were shocked when we watched people walked out, dejected. I laughed when I saw someone with a crazy gimmick; don’t they ever learn that it just doesn’t work out?
Finally they called Travis’ number and we asked permission to walk in together. Our club cheered and Nate gave me a hug before I entered. It was one of the longest walks I had to endure in my entire life. Well so far this was the longest.
“Hello there!” Kara’s voice sailed through as Travis walked in first, then we followed. “Wow.”
“Are you all together?” Randy’s comment didn’t phase me, the judge sitting in the far left was Kristin Chenoweth!
“Oh my gosh! It’s Kristin Chenoweth!” Ri smiled wide, in shock. We introduced ourselves as part of the glee club and we decided to audition together. Kristin was ecstatic about this.
“Oh my God, an actual glee club!” She joked. “This’d be exciting.”
“You bet it is.” Ellen added. “Now who’s going first?” I felt oddly relieved that Simon wasn’t going to judge this year. But it didn’t matter much, this was our shot and they weren’t gonna go easy on us, clearly.
“Me.” Chace announced.
I took the last part. I wanted to keep it together until that, I got really nervous. And the judges decided to give us the verdict after all of us sang, but they did critique us afterwards. So far they liked everyone. Now it was my turn.
“Hi, Derek.” Ellen smiled. Oh those eyes were pretty. Focus crazy head!
“Hi.” I fidgeted with my watch.
“What are you singing for us today?” Kara asked.
I licked my lips. “The Last Song by Dave Days.”
“Okay, go ahead.” I looked back at my friends and they nodded, Matt gave me the thumbs up. Here goes nothing... I sang loud and proud, I stared at a tree outside the building. I didn’t want to see the judges’ expressions right now. Now they signaled me to stop and I sucked in a breath.
“I like you.” Kristin said. “You’ve got a good voice.”
“Yeah, you’ve got that voice for pop rock, contemporary.” Randy added and I blushed a little bit.
“Yeah, it was really nice hearing your voice, I admit.” Kara laughed a little bit. “So tell them their news?”
“Oh absolutely!” Ellen said and smiled at us. “I say yes to all of you!” Michelle and Katie squealed. “Randy?”
“Can’t argue with your voices. I say yes.”
“I’ll say a million times yes!” Kara smiled.
“You 10 are going to Hollywood, party!” She stood up to give us some hugs. We took autographs (Alex will love Ellen’s) I told her about him. She laughed. Then afterwards, we took our golden tickets and we talked about how we should break it out for the team.
“I suggest we just jump out and scream.” Adam said.
“How about we play coy?” Michelle suggested.
“Those are dumb.” We laughed. “I’ve got an idea!” I spoke up and told them my plan. They seemed to like it.
I opened the door an inch and we’d thrust our hands one by one out, in different levels. In order of our auditions of course. I had to crouch down for it. We had to do it quickly. The gasps and squeals grew louder at each golden ticket and we pushed out of the hall when mine was out.
With 10 golden tickets, we jumped up and down. Shouted and squealed. The room was filled with some applause. “Can you believe it?!”
“American Idol baby!”
“I think I’m gonna pee myself!”
“This is amazing!” I was given hugs like I’ve never been given hugs before! In the chaos I found Nate and jumped on him. We spun around a couple of times.
“I’m so proud of you!” He said still laughing.
“I’m so freakin’ excited for this!” I shouted in delight and he put me down and we ran with the others in celebration. We went to the nearest food place and didn’t care if it was fancy or not we ate and celebrated like there was no tomorrow. We had golden tickets, and there was no stopping us now! How I ever doubted myself was beyond me now, this was amazing! I couldn’t be happier that I took the chance! Nate brought me to the back of the store to kiss me hard. He held my face tight in between his hands and I savored his kiss. I’m gonna miss them. But now wasn’t the time to be sad and missing, it’s the time for celebration.