Status: Slow

The Only Exception

Book Seller

The blank piece of paper that was supposed to be filled with my things to do was filled with doodles. My mum wanted me to be organized and told me to make a list of things to do. It was going fine at first. I wrote homework first though I never really thought that I’ll be doing it first but I thought it’s a good first impression for my mum. I then wrote number two and that’s when reality kicks in. What the hell am I doing? Writing my things-to-do list in the kitchen, alone.

After five minutes of actually thinking about what am I actually doing? The piece of blank paper was filled with doodles that include an apple running away from a crazy and pissed looking banana. I guess the banana really gone bananas this time. God I need some new lame jokes. “So how’s the list going?” My mum asked me as she opened the fridge with a grin. “Great.” I muttered as I start to draw a bouquet of tulip.

“What are you doing Ellie?” My mum asked. I turned around to a very annoyed mother as I just closed my eyes and smile. “What can you say? I’m artistic. I made it into an artsy kind of things to do list.” I said trying to calm her down. “What you want to make a banana run after an apple. Is that a toilet eating a monkey?” She just sighed and looked at me. “I told you, this is going to help you.” My mum said pouring me some orange juice. I quickly took it and sipped it slowly as I tuned away from my mother and looked at the orange juice intensely. If you actually looked closely you can actually see some black dots in the orange juice. Or is that just my imagination?

“Are you listening to me Elizabeth Angelica Greene?” My mum screamed at me as I heard screaming from the living room. “I think your sons need you.” I said in an attempt of changing the subject but mum was not letting me go easy this time. “You are going to stay put and do not move an inch and you are going to listen to me after this.” My mum said leaving the kitchen to check on her idiotic sons, leaving a very boring and tired me in the kitchen, alone.

“Owh God! Mum that hurts,” I heard Nate’s voice as I just smiled at what was about to come.
“You are going to apologize to your brother.” Mum angry voice came after that.

“Ugh, for what?” Nate asked her as I just put my head on my crossed arm on the table top.

“For insulting your brother,” Mum said in a matter of factly tone and I knew the twins, they would be smirking by now.

“What did I say actually mum?” Nate asked him as Josh and Will laughter could be heard from the living room.

“I don’t care what you say, apologize this instant.” Mum said being too good for her own good. Nate probably said a few insults that mum thought was too disgusting that she won’t say it. Sometimes they got away with it sometimes they don’t. “Sorry, dude.” Nate said as Josh laughed and I heard a groaned. “What did I do now?” Josh asked, letting me know that he was probably smacked on the head.

“When someone apologize, you don’t laugh you apologize too or say it’s alright.” Mum said sounding frustrated with the twins. “But I’m not sorry and it’s really not alright.” Josh answered bluntly and I thought this was like a radio show, I can only hear them but it’s entertaining and its weird how much I know them that I can practically see what they are doing in my head. “Well it’s not like I am.” Nate said making Will laughed and entered the kitchen. “What are you doing here? Eavesdropping?” He asked me as I just rolled my eyes.

“It’s not really eavesdropping when they are practically letting the neighbor knows that they are fighting.” I said as Will laughed and opened the fridge. “What neighbor?” He asked dumbly.
“You get the point don’t you?” I said annoyed, yes we don’t really have a neighbor but I was saying it in a figurative way.

“Hey guys.” My dad said walking behind me with his work clothes. “Where are you going?” Will asked with a pack of chips and a soda in hand. “Work, I have to cover for another doctor.” He said taking the trash from the bin when his phone rings. He quickly answered it and talked to some guy. “So you don’t have any hot dates today?” Will asks with a grin, I just scrunched my nose and made a face. He just laughed and looked at me. “If you want to know, I can give you a set list of boys you might be interested in, you know players and jerks.” He said trying to sound sweet. “Owh, so your names in it then?” I asked him smiling mockingly as he just grinned.

“Okay, yes, bye.” My dad ended his phone call and looked at the both of us. “Are you guys fighting?” He asked us as he looked at the both of us weirdly. I was about to answer when he cut me off. “Never mind, just don’t kill each other. I wouldn’t know what to say to the police. Ellie, can you take the trash out please?” My dad asked washing his hands. “Will, you heard the man, get out.” I told Will with a smirked as he just rolled his eyes. “Really funny.”

“Now Ellie, don’t say that to your brother.” I know he was about to make me apologize so I cut him off. “No sorry, mum told me to not move an inch from this seat, and not moving is what I’m gonna do.” I told him as he looked at me with an ‘are-you-serious look’? “You don’t really want mum mad at you for making me go against her now do you dad?” I told him as he thought about my mum and looked at Will. “Will take out the trash,” My dad said handing him the black garbage bag as I just looked at a dumbfounded Will. “But dad,” he said as my dad shook his head. “No excuse, I’ve got to finish something first.” He said as he left the room kissing my cheek and ruffling Will’s hair. Will just glare at me put his chips and soda down and left out with a dramatic exit.

“Oh my God, I never knew why I even bother trying to reason with them.” My mum said coming inside the kitchen with a frustrated look. “I told you, you should have never adopted them mum. You should just take me; it’ll be a lot easier for the both of us.” I told my mum as she just looked at me with a smile on her face. “Now don’t say that, your brothers and sisters are amazing people.” She told me as she sat next to me.

“Mum!!!” Someone screamed from upstairs as I gave my mum an I-told-you-so look and she laughed.

“Mum! Mum! Where are you?” Emily screamed running downstairs.

“I’m in the kitchen sweetheart.” My mum answered her with a smile on her face.

That’s when a pink looking Emily came in her eyes red from crying I guess and I do mean literally a pink looking Emily. Her long black ebony hair was now pink, not red but pink by pink I do mean pink, like pink panther pink. I couldn’t help but laughed at her and her pink hair. “I used to have amazing sisters now she is just plain ridiculous.” I told her as Emily screamed at me.

“Mum, looked at her.” She said pointing at me in a bratty fashion.

“She does have a point sweet heart. You do look ridiculous.” Mum said stifling a giggle.

Then as if he knew what was happening, Will came in looking pissed and then shocked.
“Owh God!” He said screaming at a very pissed looking Emily. “Are you joining a circus?” Will told her as the both of us burst out with laughter. “Mum!” Emily whined. Nate, Josh, Gabe and Nat came into view as they all looked at Emily and at the both of us as we all burst out with laughter.

“Emily, you’re so much better than what they have on TV nowadays.” Nate said wiping the tears that came down from laughing. “Tell me about it.” Gabe said as he touched Emily’s hair. “Sometimes I wish for our family to be normal.” Nat said looking at Emily with wide eye. “And that thought kind of just goes down the drain with a pink haired sibling now doesn’t it?” Josh said as we all laughed again. “Mum!!” Emily whined stomping her feet. “Sweetheart, what happened to your beautiful hair?” Mum said getting up from the stool towards Emily.

“Well, it was never beautiful in the first place.”Josh said as he laughed along with Gabe and Nate. They then went to the living room. Nat just shook her head and left Will, Mum, Emily and I behind. “It must be the twins’ work.” Emily said as she twirls her hair in disgust. “We say this a lot and usually never mean it, but we are innocent in this one.” Nate answered from the living room as I just laughed and was about to get up when my mum signaled me to sit down. I just sighed and Will was going to get out when I pulled him down to sit next to me. He also sighed.

“What color were you aiming for?” Mum asked her with a smile.

“Red, does this look like red to you?” She said asking the both of us as we laughed.

“Sweetheart, come on I’m sure it’s not your brothers who did this, maybe you mix the colors up.” Mum said nicely as she pat a stool for Emily and pour some strawberry milk for her.
Will and I both laughed at how funny it was; pink haired girl drinking a pink color drink

“What’s so funny?” Emily asked annoyed at the both of us.

“Except for you pink hair?” I asked her with a grin.

“Nothing.” Will continued what I was about to say and we both laughed.

“Ugh, you sound like the twins more and more every day.” Emily said sitting down and drinking her strawberry milk.

“That’s from someone with a pink hair.” I told her as the both of us stifle a laugh.

Emily was looking pissed as Mum looked at us telling us to stop it but it was hard to take her seriously when she’s smiling. “Maybe now you can go and become friends with lava girl, I heard she needs a new super hero buddy.” Will told her as the both of us laughed.

“Guys, I told you stop.” Mum said as she just looked at the both of us sternly but her lips twitched upward. It was hard to take anything seriously when a pink depressed haired girl is there. I mean if a girl who has pink hair really intended to dye her hair pink then I’m fine with that because it doesn’t really look funny, but when someone has a pink hair because of dye product malfunction. It is kind of funny.

“I’m sorry mom; you lost me when Emily came in with her pink hair.” Will said as we laughed, got up and went to the living room.

“You’re such a dick.” Nate said throwing a soft cushion towards Josh who was laughing.

“What? I told you, I’m sorry for being a dick which is technically not my fault that I actually have a.” Josh said before I stopped him from continuing his stupid and gross talk. “I don’t need to hear anything anymore.” I told him as he grinned at me. I dropped down into a sofa while Will sat next to Nate who was pouting and sulking. “But you promise me.” Nate said continuing his rants.

“I can’t believe I’m going to say this to someone who is not a girl, but I’ll make up for it.” Josh said throwing back the cushion towards Nate.

“What the hell is wrong with you two?” I asked them grabbing the remote control and plopping my feet on the sofa. “Lover’s quarrel.” Will answered as the both of us laughed and Nate punched Will’s shoulder.

“He’s not coming to play basketball with us this evening. Can you believe that?” Nate said telling me animatedly. “Seriously? Why?” I asked him changing the channel to Disney. “I have a hot date.” He told me as I looked at him grinning at each other. “Really? What’s her name?” I asked him as he grinned wider, happy that someone finally asked. “On a scale of one to ten, she’s probably an eight.” He answered me as I laughed. “Will’s eight or Gabe’s eight?” I asked him again when a cushion hit my head. I looked at Nate as he shrugged.

“You’re not helping.”

“I’m just asking.” I told him making Will laughed. “Pass me the remote; you’re like a retarded 16 year old girl watching Pucca.” He told me as I threw the cushion towards him making him laughed. “She’s Gabe eight.” Josh said smirking. The bell rung but the four of us didn’t even bother with it. “The other’s still coming right?” Nate asked me as I nodded my head. “I’m going, I don’t know about anyone else. Where are you taking her?” I asked Josh who shrugged. “I don’t really know, maybe movie and dinner.” Josh answered and Nate groaned. “You are on my side Ellie.”

“Owh sorry. Come on man you can’t do this to us because.” I said trying to reason with Josh. “Why can’t Josh go on a date again?” I asked Nate who screamed into the pillow.

“Useless. Just useless.” He said looking at me. Will laughed and patted his back
comfortingly. “Hey I’m trying right?” I told him looking at Josh who laughed. “Is there any of you responsible enough to answer the door?” Mum said coming from the kitchen. The four of us quickly looked at the TV trying to act as if we don’t know anything. Mum sighed and so did I. “Ellie, go answer the door.” She said going back to the kitchen. I looked at the three of them who laughed at me. “Fine. Anyway Josh I’m not done debating. You shouldn’t go.” I told him getting up from the sofa.

“Why shouldn’t I go?” I heard him asked me from the living room. I opened the door and looked back at the living room. “Because aren’t there something that goes like bro’s before ho’s?” I answered him sending the three boys to a fit of laughter. I looked at the guy in front of me. There stood a man with short cropped hair, dark brown eyes, ridiculously long eye lashes that reminds me of Luke’s, his beautiful abs and his muscular arms make his veins more prominent and his fit gray t – shirt was making me delirious. He looked at me, no he stared at me, his eyes were wide and he just looked at me not blinking for even a minute with a few books in his hands. He was wearing a cut off jeans short; gray t-shirt and a pair of sneakers. He was beyond beautiful.

“Yes?” I asked him breaking him out of his little trance and he looked as if he was debating with himself. “I don’t want to buy any books.” I told him slamming the door in his face. I was going to walk to the living room when someone knocked the door again. I opened the door, looked at him and sighed loudly. “We’re not buying any books.” I told him slowly explaining it to him. “But I don’t sell books.” He told me looking a bit confused.

“Alright. Then?” I asked him holding the door waiting to slam it into his face. I’m harsh yes I know that. “Sweetheart who is it?” I heard my mum called and I sighed loudly. “I’m Gabe’s partner.” He told me as I laughed. “What he finally came out of the closet?” I asked him as he looked at me confused yet again. I sighed and called Gabe from the bottom stair. Mum then came into view and looked at the guy in front of me and glared at me. “I hope she’s not that rude to you. She can be a bit grumpy at times.” Mum quickly said as she invited him in. “Yeah and Grumpy is still here actually.” I told her rolling my eyes as Paul smiled. “No, she’s fine.” Paul answered as I looked at mum with a face that says ‘see’.

“Call your brother.” She told me as I screamed his name once again making my mum sighed. “Hey Ellie, have you done your homework?” Mum asked me before I had the time to go inside the living room. I stopped dead on my track. “It’s progressing slowly.” I told her turning around and grinning at her. She was tapping her foot. “Really? How slow?” She asked me making me scratched my neck. “Incredibly.” I told her as she sighed. “Why don’t you finish your work rather than waste your time with your brother.” Mum said making me sighed and nodded my head. I was going to go upstairs when Josh screamed something I couldn’t resist. “Ellie Phineas and Ferb are on!”

“Thirty minutes mum!” I told her running towards the living room but was stopped by her when she grabbed my wrist. “Thirty minutes but you’ll have to help your sister afterward.” She said making me looked at the clock on the wall. Emily came with an apple in her hand. She looked at me and at Paul and at mum and screamed trying to cover her hair. I laughed while Paul just looked at her shocked and scared prominent. She ran upstairs meeting Gabe on the way. She pushed him aside and I laughed. “That was worth missing two minutes of Phineas and Ferb.” I said making my mum shook her head. “Fine, I’ll help her.” I told her sighing and went back inside the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!
and Thank you all you lovely people who commented...
I can just give you a very sloppy kiss right now.. =D