Status: Writingg....

Finding the Forsaken

Chapter Six

“Don’t give me that look…” I mussed, looking at her pitiful expression. “You look like one of the kids beggin’ for extra jerky after dinner.” I pulled the cloth door out of the way and tucked it behind a stick I used to hook it open. “This… is my hut.” I continued, opening out my arms outwards. “Don’t like it? Deal with it; it’s the best we’ got.”

“Hold on, go back, no pare—”

“I said none! Okay?!” I snapped, not wanting to repeat it. I’ve already said that we are orphans, why the hell would I want to hear her talk about it all over again? Just… shut up! I grabbed a blanket that was crudely folded off a stool and threw it across the small room, it landing on my hay bed. “You, sleep there.”

When I turned around, she was staring at the floor looking shy and like she was scared to talk. Eventually, after taking some steps in, she asked in a fake-kind tone, “Where will you rest then?”

My stomach rumbled after she asked, so I was wanted to go to bed sooner so I wouldn’t have to think about how I was hungry. “Don’t worry about it. Now, get to bed. We got’a a day full of people’s crap tomorrow.” I knew that everyone would be bugging me about her, and since I had to drag her around like a puppy, I’d have to explain everything and take responsibility for her screw-ups. Great.

“Honestly, you could act a bit nicer. It’s not like I am thrilled about being he—”

Shut up!” I finally shouted. “ ‘Think you’d rather be here than dead, okay? Just get some shut-eye and keep your mouth shut while you’re at it. I can’t sleep with you babbling.” This was the second time I interrupted her, but this lady needed to just be quiet by now. It’s more grief on my part than hers.

After I lowered the cloth door, she sat down immediately on the hay as I followed her. “Okay, sorry.” She muttered sarcastically, flinching when I grabbed her by the wrist. “What are you doing…?” I ignored her and pulled her down to the bed—her probably getting the wrong impression—and tied her down to a heavy rock I had used in my hut for crafting sometimes.

“ ‘Don’t think I’m going to let you run away, do ya? The second you do, my life will turn to hell, and so will yours. You best stay here, as if you got a place to go to.” I explained, pulling the double-knot tight and then sitting, leaning on the wall on the other side of the hut. “Don’t think about it and it’ll be as if not even there, ‘kay?” I sighed, hoping I wouldn’t have to hear her complain.

To my luck, all she did was nod, and lay down looking as if she was defeated—good. “Can I just ask one question?”

I smiled to myself, slightly amused that she wasn’t resisting. Still, I knew that this wouldn’t last for long. “Mhmm, yeah what?” I replied, nestling my heads into the wall behind me, trying to get comfortable as I sat up against it.

“How long… do you think I’ll be here? And please tell me I’m not going to be a maid around here, or used for… enjoyment.” She questioned oddly. I could tell that this wasn’t the easiest question to ask, but she went ahead and asked so I might as well answered.

I shook my head in the dark, even if she couldn’t see it. “We aren’t going to use you for that sorta’ stuff; whether it seems like it or not, we got’ more decency than to fool around simply like that.”—I heard a soft sigh of relief from her—“And other than that, I hope you ain’t Miss. Princess because you gonna’ be treated just like all the other guys around here, so don’t expect anything else but the norm’. Got that, uhmm, Ave…?”

“Aveline,” She stated simply, while making a noise with the hay like she was nestling into it, ready to sleep. “And thank goodness.” Her last words were more silent than the ones before it, and soon enough the only noise that I could hear at all were the chirps of the crickets the sent me to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's that. Finally, a new day... :)
And remember, think of the children, comment.

Here, I'll even put it in decorative letters for you: Ĉöროëñŧ
Fancy, eh? Now do it. ;)