Lies and Broken Smiles

18

When school lets out I call my mother and tell her I'll be home late, I'm going to a friends.
I walk around the streets for hours, I don't wanna go home, I don't wanna go anywhere I just wanna run away, no one would notice.
I can't continue this I'm just getting worse everything is getting worse.
I lean against a stone gate then I just sit on the ground and slowly let just let everything out I've been bottling things up for too long my heart feels like it's gonna burst.
I wrap my arms around my knees and bury my face in them, I know I shouldn't cry in public but I can't help it, thankfully no one is out.
Wait I was wrong because suddenly I feel a big wet nose sniffing me trying to lift up my arm. I take a peek and see a huge Rottweiler and

"Calista?"

Ah fuck!

I lift my head up higher and quickly wipe my tears trying to hide the fact that I was crying, even though I know it's pointless.

"Dante!" I smile.

"Calista you can't hide those tears." He says and sits down next to me, his dog laying down at his feet.

"So whats wrong?" He ask.

"Nothing." I say

"You don't trust me?" He ask

"It's not that. It's just nothing worth worrying over."

"It obviously is if you're upset, but if you don't wanna tell me then I'm not gonna force you too."

He looks at me and I give him my first genuine smile of the day.
He then reaches over and pulls me closer to him and hugs me, suddenly I feel safe in his arms and this feeling scares me, but I want this feeling to last. I inhale his scent before we finally break away.
My head goes crazy. I'm terrified of these feelings I'm not meant to like anyone this way, all they'll do is hurt me. My head screams at me.

"Do you wanna walk with us?" He ask pointing at his dog

"Sure." I say

"So what happened with your hand?" He ask looking down at it

"I got angry and punched stuff." I say

I don't know why the words are suddenly flowing out of my mouth.

"Ouch."

"Yea, but it's okay now." I say
.... We walk in silence.

"What is this little guys name?" I ask suddenly stopping and bending down in front of the big dog and petting it's head, his tails wags a million miles a minute.

"His name is Buggy." He says.

I laugh "Funny name."

"I got him when I was kid."

"I wish I had a dog." I say

Ring, ring, ring, my phone goes off, I sigh and stand up.

"Sorry let me get it."

"Calista where are you, dinner is ready." My mum says

"I'm with my friend."

"Come home, so you can eat something."

"Uh huh bye." I hang up and sigh again.

"I'm sorry Dante I gotta go."

I see a quick flash of sadness go through his eyes... or maybe I'm just imagining it.

"Alright I'll see you later, and you let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks I will."
He gives me a quick hug, and I never want to leave his arms again.