Sequel: Back 2 Good
Status: Finished! Look for the sequel soon! :)

Mutiny Below

Nervous

Natalia

I'd just finished getting dressed and was settling down to begin my new book when my phone rang.

Want to grab some lunch?

I stared at it for a few minutes then sent back a simple Sure before sliding my feet into my shoes and grabbing my bag from the bed. My phone rang again and I stopped to read it.

Pick you up in ten.

I got suddenly nervous. It wasn't the first time I'd been by myself with John, but lately, it's become a bigger deal to me.

And I chickened out.

I made my way down the hall into the living room where Eric was lying on the couch reading the tv guide.

"Hey Eric?"

"Huh?"

"I was gonna go hang out with John today. Wanna come?"

Eric lowered his magazine. "Where are you going?"

"I...don't really know."

He sat up and tossed the magazine onto the coffee table. "I guess I'll come. It's not like I have anything better to do today."

"Wow. You make me feel so loved."

He chuckled and leaned over to put on his shoes.

"Oh, and he'll be here any time now."

"Well, gee thanks for inviting me at the last minute."

I smiled. "It's not like you have anything better to do today."

"Touché."

I heard a car door shut outside so I grabbed my bag and grabbed Eric's arm, pulling him toward the front door, which I opened just as John was about to come inside. Eric ran into my back.

"Oh. Hey." John stared behind me at Eric for a moment. "You're coming too?"

Eric chuckled as he clapped John on the back. "Don't sound so happy about it, man."

John rolled his eyes and turned to go back to the car. I volunteered to get into the backseat since Eric's legs were way too long to go back there.

There was an awkward silence for the entire ride and I was never happier to see the Chipotle sign.

Unfortunately, the awkwardness continued through lunch and I was beginning to think that asking Eric to come along was even worse than having to be by myself with John. Thankfully Eric hadn't even noticed that it was awkward. Maybe even John hadn't. Maybe it was just me.

Eric suggested going back to the apartment to watch some new movie he'd bought and John agreed, so I followed them back to the car and we went back to Eric's.

Immediately, I took the corner chair so that I didn't have to sit next to John. I curled my legs under me and crossed my arms over my chest as Eric started the movie then flopped down on the couch.

I was nervous the entire time. I felt eyes on me every once in awhile and I could only assume that they were John's since Eric was so engrossed in the movie. I dared to look up once and my eyes immediately found his. I looked quickly back to the tv and propped my head with my right arm, so that my face was hidden. The movie was almost over when Eric's cell phone began to vibrate loudly against the wooden coffee table. He paused the movie to answer it while John and I just sat quietly. After a series of words such as "Dude!" and "Yup," Eric hung up and pressed play without a word to either of us.

As the ending credits began rolling on the screen, Eric stood up, kissed the top of my head, and said goodbye, not even telling us where he was going. John and I looked at each other for a brief second before looking away awkwardly. He scratched his neck while I twisted my ring around on my finger nervously. What was I supposed to do now? I decided maybe I should get up and get away from him, even if just for a brief second. I stood up and cleared my throat.

"Uh, do you want something to drink?"

"Does Halvo have beer?"

I nodded my head and headed to the kitchen to get his beer and my bottle of iced tea. When I retured, I handed him his beer and sat down in Eric's previous position on the opposite end of the couch as he pressed play.

"I put in another movie."

"Kay."

The movie previews began and we both shut up, not uttering another word. John eventually stretched out on the couch with his head closest to me and his legs dangling over the armrest. I didn't fail to notice that my hand was mere centimeters from his.

The front door swung open and I jumped as Nick came inside.

"Hey, Nat, I was-...."

I moved my hand away and crossed my arms over my chest as John sat up. He checked the time on his phone and stood up, stretching his arms over his head. "I better get back. Bye, Nat."

"Bye."

"Later, man," he added as he passed Nick. John shut the door as he left and Nick took his place on the couch. He stared at me for a minute.

"Natalia."

"What?"

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

I knew what he was getting at but I was going to play dumb as long as possible. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Natalia, seriously. That look on your face when I came in-"

I shook my head. "I don't, Nick."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Alright then, if you say so."

He gave me a sideways glance then put the channel on Pawn Stars and I slouched down to get more comfortable.

I wasn't sure I didn't. Actually, I was pretty sure I did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Natalia.

Dearest lovelies,

I'm having my friend post this chapter because I'm currently on the way to my aunt's house, where I'll be staying for the entire week. It sucks because it means I won't be able to write at all this week and on top of that, I was given about an hour's notice to pack my bag. Beyond frustrating but oh well.

I hope y'all had a fantastic Christmas. And Happy (Early) New Year as well! :)

Rissa <3