‹ Prequel: Story of a Girl

Walls

Marla and Jesse

Alex was anxious for the hometown show. Amanda and Kara were backstage with their boys, and Zack was currently on the phone with his girl. Ever since he had found out about Sydney living in LA, his thoughts were always on the green eyed girl.

He wondered if she still looked the same, or if she changed. Zack walked in and he had a confused expression across his face, and the phone still to his ear.

“But baby, I’ll be back soon.” Alex knew that something was wrong with Evangeline. He had sensed it the few times he had caught her expression when she thought nobody was looking. “I know. And the guys just left for tour?”

“She must feel lonely.” Alex muttered to himself.

“Well come see me. I’ll fly you out.” A few seconds later he had a smile on his face, and Alex knew that she had said yes. “All right baby. I’ll call you after the show. Love you. Bye.”

Zack sat down next to Alex, and Alex shot him a grin. “So you’re flying V out?”

“Yeah, she’s feeling lonely. I guess it’s just because she’s so used to having so many people around.” He paused, “And then about two weeks ago, these guys cornered her at a shoot.” Alex’s eyes widened and Zack nodded, “Yeah. But nothing happened.”

“Did someone step in and stop it?” Zack nodded, “Yeah. Sydney.”

Alex nodded, a lump coming to his throat, “Really?”

“Yeah. And Nick said that they’ve been hanging out more. Not Evie and Sydney, them and Sydney.”

“She does have that pull on people.” Alex said softly.

Zack opened his mouth to say something, but Flyzik came in. “Alex, do you know a woman named Marla Maxwell and her son, Jesse?”

Alex nodded, and then Matt opened the door farther and nodded to the hallway. A few seconds later, Marla and Jesse walked in. “Alex!” Jesse shouted and ran to the couch and onto him.

Zack looked at him with a raised eyebrow, and Jesse turned and smiled, “Hi! I’m Jesse.”

“Zack.”

“Zack, are you from here?”

“Yeah.”

“How long have you been friends with Alex?” Alex laughed at Jesse’s firing of questions. But he knew that Zack didn’t mind.

“Since we were fourteen.” The boy smiled, “So you know my aunt too.” Zack raised an eyebrow and Marla walked closer, “Sydney.” She said softly.

Zack turned and Marla gave him a smile, “Hi. I’m Jesse’s mom, Marla Maxwell.”

“Sydney is his aunt?” Marla nodded. “Yeah. Her brother, Ashton, and I were married.” Zack nodded and Marla walked tentatively over.

Alex was soon pulled off the couch and out to the side stage. Alex crouched down to his level, and Jesse watched the bands with wonder on his face.

“Alex?” the boy said while the bands were changing sets. Alex ignored the screams of the girls who had spotted him, “Yeah?” he said facing the boy.

“Do you still like Auntie Sydney?” Alex felt his heart skip a beat.

“I don’t not like her, I just haven’t heard from her in a long time.”

Jesse nodded, “Do you miss her?” Alex nodded, “Yeah. I do.”

“Mommy and I are going to see her. I don’t remember when, but we are. You should come with us. If you’re not on tour.”

Alex bit his lip, “I’m not sure about that, sport. Things between your aunt and I got kinda complicated.”

He sighed, “I know. She said that things changed. But she wouldn’t tell me why.”

Alex nodded and then they walked back to the dressing room, Marla was sitting beside Zack, and they were looking at the computer screen. “See, I really like this one.” Zack was saying, pointing the screen. Alex figured that they were looking at his photographs. That was one of the few things that Zack would open up about.

Marla nodded, “These are great. Who is the girl, if you don’t mind me asking?” Alex and Jesse walked over and the boy sat next to his mom, while Alex stood behind the couch, all four sets of eyes on the screen. There was a picture of V in front of the Trevi Fountain. Alex smiled at the picture; they had gone on a trip, just the two of them; to Italy and France.

Zack smiled and Alex knew that it was the smile he got anytime the ‘quiet’ bassist talked about his girlfriend, “My girlfriend, Evangeline.” Marla smiled and nodded. Alex remembered that smile. He knew that she could tell that Zack loved Evangeline; and that pleased her. Marla was a sucker for young love.

“She’s very pretty.” Zack smiled and nodded, “I’ll let her know. She’ll disagree, but I’ll still let her know.” Marla laughed and nodded.

“So, Zack, when are you going to put a ring on her finger?” Zack’s eyes widened; and so did Alex’s. The thought of marriage never crossed any of their minds; they were still so young. Marla laughed, “I don’t mean marriage, per se, but engagement.”

Zack shrugged, “I don’t know. I think that right now, we’re happy just being us. Just being young and together” Marla nodded, “I understand. How long have you two been together?” Alex thought that she should’ve known that before she suggest that they get married.

Zack grinned, “October seventeenth, two thousand and five.” Marla smiled, “Do you two live together?” Zack nodded, “Yeah. We both live in Huntington Beach.”

Marla turned her attention to Alex, “Do you have a girlfriend?”

Alex grinned, “Nope.”

Marla smiled, “Ah, the only single one in the band.” He laughed and shrugged, “What can I say? You have to be a pretty special girl to catch my full attention.”

Marla nodded a slight smile on her face, “I understand.” After a beat she continued, “Did Jesse tell you about us going out to LA soon?” Zack took this as his cue to go watch the other bands.

Alex sighed and sat down next to her, “Yeah. And I just found out a few weeks ago about Sydney living there.”

Marla looked down, “I didn’t mean to keep it from you, Alex. It’s just...” she sighed, “I figured that it was for the best. So whenever you went, you wouldn’t have to worry about seeing her.”

“I would’ve eventually though, right? Her being a model and everything.” Marla sighed, “Yeah. I thought...” she sighed again, “I thought that would’ve been the best way for you to find out.”

Alex sighed, “Well I found out a different way.” Marla looked at him, and he knew that she wanted to know. Jesse looked at him expectantly and he sighed, scratching the back of his head. “V told me.”

“Zack’s girlfriend?” Alex nodded, “But only because I asked her to. And she’s not the type who would lie.”

“I woulda told you, if you woulda just asked.” Jesse said. Alex gave the boy a somewhat bitter smile, “I know you would’ve, bud.” Jesse smiled and tugged on Alex’s hand. “I can do a kick flip now!” Alex smiled, “Really? That’s awesome, Jesse. You know who’s really good at tricks like that?”

“Who?”

“Zack.” Jesse smiled, “Really?”

“Yeah. That was one of the reasons he got in the band. Maybe he can show you later.” Jesse laughed, and Amanda chuckled behind him.

“Alex, Flyzik is looking for you.”

Alex nodded, “I’ll see you later, all right?” Jesse nodded and Alex walked out to the hallway. Zack was doing some pull-ups using a rafter and dropped down when Alex walked by.

“So that’s Sydney’s nephew? The one you and her went to visit that one time?” Alex nodded and Zack stayed quiet.

“You know, maybe you should see her. Maybe if you two talked about it, things would clear up.”

Alex shrugged, “It’s not my call to make.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I've been slacking. I now work. Blah. Not to fond of it and I'm hoping that I didn't lose my perspective second job because of this one. Because I would prefer the second one.

ANYWAY, I LOVED all the feeback I got last time.

&& I tried updating this last weekend, but it's basically impossible to do so on a BlackBerry.

I know, I've been rambling, so comments would make my day, and the fact that I have a pretty lame job better. :P