‹ Prequel: Painting Flowers
Status: Finished!

The Technicolor Phase

The Crow

Image

Danielle and Hatter waited in the courtyard for Mirana and her kingdom to show up. Danielle couldn't stand still. She kept walking back and forth wondering what to do. She was scared for everyone's life but mostly hers. If she had to choose she would give herself up for the safety of those she loved. In the distance, Hatter could see white horses walking their way. He smiled widely but turned to his wife. She was so afraid of Iracabeth coming to kill her. He would not let that happen though. He would either kill the bloody big head first or be killed in the process of saving Danielle. He would not stand by and let Danielle do something stupid.

Mirana stopped in front of them with a wary look on her face. She tried to stay strong for her kingdom but it was hard. She was afraid that her sister would come to kill her for banishing her to the Outlands. She told the others to go inside and help themselves to the food. Once they were out of earshot she turned to face Danielle and Hatter. The three of them bowed at each other then went straight to business.

"How did they escape?" asked Danielle. "I thought there was like a force field surrounding them so they couldn't get out."

"He has returned to Underland."

Danielle looked over at Hatter who's face fell.

"Who has returned?" asked Danielle.

"Ivan the Terrible. He's a wizard and also Stayne's cousin. He returned to Overworld nearly a decade ago." said Mirana. "Has anything strange been watching you lately?"

Danielle thought about it for a few moments. Then it hit her. Every day, she would see a black crow sitting on the balcony watching her. She would try to shoo it away but it just sat there not scared of her one bit. She began to talk to it and told it a lot of personal things about how she felt about killing Blaze and Andromeda, how much she loved Tarrant, and about being scared of Iracabeth coming to kill her. She quickly told Mirana this.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" asked Hatter.

"I didn't think it was important."

"Something like that is really important."

"Why?"

"Ivan is a wizard who can change into any animal he wants. He's a shifter."

Danielle felt really stupid now. She shared everything with the so called raven. Now this Ivan guy knew a lot about her. He knew her deepest darkest secrets that she wouldn't have even shared with Hatter. She told the crow a lot about her life in Overland. How she was being courted by a man she did not love and about taking care of her dying mother. She had told Hatter a little bit about this but never went into full detail like she did with the crow.

"I feel like an idiot now. I should've told you. I'm sorry."

"Did you tell him anything?"

Danielle sighed. "I told him everything about Andromeda, Blaze, me and Tarrant being crowned, our wedding, about my mom. I didn't know who he was and when you were making your hats I had no one to talk to."

Hatter's eyes turned gold. "You could've came into my workroom and talked to me."

"Yeah, but when I try to talk to you you don't listen. You just nod your head."

"If I nod my head it means I'm listening."

Mirana whistled making the newlyweds stops arguing.

"There's no time to argue. What's done is done. Danielle did not know about the shifter so there's nothing to worry about. Iracabeth would've found out sooner or later about her daughter. Now, she is probably heading this way to seek revenge on us. I will call on my guards and yours as well to guard the castle tonight. Also, maybe your friend the Bandersnatch will help protect you."

Danielle nodded. She stared up at the sky knowing that it was nearing four o'clock. In two hours the ball would start. She went ahead and gathered her guards around the castle. She told them if they see any sign of Iracabeth or Stayne to kill them on site. She wasn't taking any precautions. She even had the hallways guarded. The Bandersnatch circled around the castle making sure that everything was in order. Before the ball started, Mirana's guards showed up. She told them where to guard then headed in the castle. A lot of the people of Underland had heard rumors about Iracabeth and Stayne escaping but they really didn't think it was true. Danielle tried hard to not tell them but she thought that they needed to know. Before she started the ball she got up on the stage.

"I want to first thank everyone for attending the ball. All your costumes look ravishing. Tonight, we will have two contests; a costume contest and a dance contest. The winners of each group will get to stay two nights in the castle of hearts Valentine Room!"

Everyone clapped and cheered which made Danielle smile. She sadly looked at Hatter who nodded his head. He knew she was going to tell them about Iracabeth.

"The next news I have isn't going to be easy. I'm sure all of you noticed all of the guards around the castle. They are here because of the rumors about Ivan the terrible breaking Iracabeth and Stayne out. It's not a rumor. This is true."

People gasped as they looked around the room at each other. Some of them began to leave while others stayed. Danielle tried to calm everyone down but they weren't listening to her. That's when Mirana whistled loudly. This made everyone be quiet.

"I doubt they will show up here tonight. We are prepared for them if they do show up. Now please, stay and enjoy the ball that Queen Danielle put together for you all!"

The music began to play which made them forget about Iracabeth. Danielle sighed as she turned to Hatter. He outstretched his hand and she took it from him. He led her onto the dance floor and the two of them began dancing gracefully. Danielle just hoped that Mirana was right. Since they were prepared for a battle she didn't think they would show up.