Status: Completed

We've Got a Big Mess On Our Hands

Chapter 8

WILLIAM’S POV

Gabe said he was going to call me, but he hasn’t yet and it’s been 10 hours since he left the studio…I’m being stupid and silly, though. Just because he said he’d call me doesn’t mean he’s going to tonight. We are going to see each other in person tomorrow. Maybe he doesn’t see the point in calling me if he’s going to see me tomorrow…The point is to hear his beautiful voice as much as possible.

I really need to stop this. For some reason, Gabe has an effect on me like no one else. He can turn me into a simpering schoolgirl in minutes, just by smiling in my general direction. It was like that last time as well.

I’m glad he apologized. He’s really sweet and kind of a softie, but that’s how I like him.

Tomorrow is going to be nice.

I wish he’d call.

Just then, my cell phone rang. I leapt up and grabbed it, too excited to even check the caller ID.

“Gabe?” I asked.

“No, who’s Gabe?”

“Hi, mom.” I said, disappointed that it wasn’t Gabe on the other line.

“Hey honey. You got a new man in your life?” she asked.

My mother. She loves getting in my personal business.

“Not really.” I said. “Just someone I met at work.”

“He’s not a musician, is he? ‘Cause you know they’re nothing but trouble.”

“Mom, I’m a musician.” I sighed. She could be really old fashioned sometimes.

“But you’re a nice boy.”

“So is Gabe.” I said.

“So, are you interested in him?” she asked.

“Yeah, mom.” I sighed. “I’m very interested. Which is why I have to go.”

“What, why?” she asked.

“Gabe is supposed to call me tonight.”

“You’d hang up on your own mother just to talk to a guy you’re interested in?” she faked hurt.

“Yeah, yeah I would.” I said, laughing at her theatrics. “I’ll talk to you later, okay mom?”

“Fine, love you. Have fun with Gabe. I better meet this boy.”

“I gotta go! Love you, too!”

“I’m serious about meeting him, I don’t want it to be like-”

I hung up on her before she could finish her sentence. She was always wanting to meet whoever I was dating. I guess it’s nice that she accepts my sexuality and all, but she can get really nosy sometimes.

I was broken out of my thoughts by my phone ringing again. This time I calmed myself down enough to check the caller ID, but just got excited and nervous when I saw it was Gabe calling.

“Hey!” I said into the phone.

Hey, how are you?” he said, his voice immediately soothing my nerves.

“I’m fine. I was just about to order in some takeout. I can’t be bothered to cook tonight.”

You cook? I’m impressed.” Gabe laughed. “It’s hard to find a guy that cooks. This is great though, since I can’t cook at all.

“Well, I do cook sometimes. I’m not incredibly good. But I can cook enough to live off of.”

That’s better than me.” Gabe said. “Well, since you can’t be bothered to cook and I can’t cook period, what if we go get dinner together? I’ll pay.

“Oh, no.” I said. “You paid this morning! I’ll pay.”

“So you’ll go?” he said, his smile apparent, even over the phone.

“How could I refuse?”

<~><~><~><~<~<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

Gabe and I decided to meet at this really nice Italian restaurant that was delicious, but not too expensive or fancy. It was great for talking as well, because the tables were pretty spread out form each other. I walked down the block to the restaurant to find Gabe waiting for me outside.

“Hey!” he said, wrapping me up in a hug. “How are you, since we talked on the phone?”

“A lot less bored and much happier now that you’re here.” I smiled.

“Flattery will get you everywhere.” he smiled.

“So, you ready to go in?” I asked.

“Yeah, sure.” he said, opening the door and holding it open for me.

“Thanks.” I said, walking past him into the slightly crowded restaurant. This was a popular place for dates, but was this a date? He asked me to dinner, but friends go to dinner together all the time. But we are here alone and at a restaurant that most guys wouldn’t take their friends out to an Italian restaurant to catch up… All this thinking is making my head hurt.

The hostess led us to a table near the back of the restaurant, next to a fountain and a window with a beautiful view of the sunset.

“How’d you get such a good table?” I said, in awe at the spot he had gotten for us.

“Being in a band has its perks,” he said, “but being in a not very famous band…doesn’t help you at all. I know the owners. They’re old family friends.”

I laughed, smiling as Gabe pulled out my chair for me. He sat down across from me and smiled.

“So, I feel like I know you already, but really, I have no idea what your middle name is, or even what your favorite color is…”

“Eugene and royal blue.” I said. “What’s yours?”

“Eduardo.” he said. “And I have a thing for purple, even if it a sort of girly color.”

We ended up playing 20 Questions throughout dinner and I found out that he likes 80s era horror movies, he loved carnivals and he was vegetarian. I learned so much more about him, some stuff I never wanted to know. Honestly, though, I like him even more than I did before dinner, if that’s even possible. When dinner was over, we stayed there talking for almost an hour. The waitress eventually had to come get us to leave since the restaurant was closing soon.

I’ve never enjoyed spending time with anyone as much as I have tonight with Gabe. He just has a way of calming me down and not worrying about everything at home or in the recording studio. I was grateful for the break, because between Genevieve and the band, I scarcely let myself relax anymore.

Gabe walked me home and when we reached my door, I stopped walking, unsure of what to do.

“I had a great time tonight.” I said. “Thank you.”

“Yeah, me too.” Gabe said. “We should do this again sometime.”

“What exactly was… this?” I asked, saying it before my better judgment could stop me.

“I don’t know.” Gabe said, smiling slightly. “What do you want it to be?”

“Well… I was hoping it was, um… a d-date.” I said.

“Me too.” he said.

“Really?” I said.

“Yeah.” he said, stepping closer. “That guy that I said has been stuck in my mind ever since I met him? The one that made me realize I was gay? It’s you. I’ve been wanting to date you ever since you left that morning.”

“I’d be honored to go on a second date with you, then.” I said, smiling from ear to ear.

“Cool.” he said, smiling even wider than me, if that was even possible. “So since this was a date, do I get a goodnight kiss?”

I could tell he was nervous by the way he didn’t meet my eyes when he asked. I chuckled to myself and took a step closer, tilting his chin up so his eyes met mine.

“You can definitely have a goodnight kiss.” I said, leaning in, Gabe meeting me halfway.

If I said it was amazing, I would be doing Gabe a disservice. It was more than amazing, it was the best feeling I’ve ever felt in my entire life. It was just a simple, close-lipped kiss, but I’d never wanted something to continue more than I did now. If I had my doubts about whether Gabe and I would really work, all of them were gone now. The passion that we both have felt for the past year was all put into the kiss and I never wanted it to end.

Eventually though, we had to break away for air. We both had goofy grins on our faces that said that he’d felt everything I had in that kiss.

“If I’d have known it would have been that great, I would have ran after you the morning after.” he said.

“If I’d remembered it was that good, I wouldn’t have left.” I said, smiling up at him. I was pretty tall, but Gabe was a full inch taller than me.And you know what they say about tall guys…

“I’ll see you tomorrow, then.” Gabe said, kissing my cheek one last time.

“Yeah, see you.” I said, unlocking the door to my apartment complex and walking into the elevator, waving once more as the doors closed.

I never imagined I’d ever be able to date Gabe Saporta, but I sure am glad to say that I am. I went to bed that nice with a smile on my face, thinking of the boy that put it there.

GABE’S POV
I watched William walk into his apartment building, waving back as the elevator doors closed.

I can’t believe I’m dating William Beckett. I can’t believe I’m dating a guy for that matter! I’ve never felt better, though. I should’ve realized this earlier. Girls were great, but I’d never felt as complete as I have with William with any of the girls I’ve been with. He’s a lot nicer, too.

My parents would approve of him more so than any of the other girls I’ve been with.

Oh crap. I stopped walking in the middle of the sidewalk, the smile dropping from my face.

My parents.

I haven’t even told them I like guys yet. How are they going to react when I tell them I’m dating a guy? They were accepting enough when it came to gays in general, but how would they feel if their son was gay?

I looked at my phone. 10pm. Too late to call them tonight… I’ll have to do that tomorrow.

<~><~><~><~<~<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

My alarm buzzed on the nightstand and I swung my arm over to shut it off. I stretched and rubbed my eyes, smiling when I remembered what went on last night. I was dating William Beckett. We’d only been on one date, but it looks promising. I hope one day I’ll be able to call him mine, but I don’t want to rush anything. I want this to work out, not like last time.
My phone rang from the nightstand and I groaned and looked at the caller ID. My parent’s home number flashed on the screen and I got nervous, knowing that I needed to tell them.

“Hola, mamá.” I said into the phone.

“Hola Gabriel.” she said brightly. “Como estás?”

“Bien, gracias.” I said. “Y tu?”

“Bien, mijo.” she said. “I was calling because I haven’t seen in you a long time. What have you been doing?”

“I was just with the band, mamá.” I said. “We’ve been recording and now we’re recording a song with another band.”

“Oh?” she said. “What other band? Do I know them?”

“I don’t think so. They’re pretty new.” I said. “But look, mamá. I need to tell you something, but I’d rather do it in person, okay?”

“What do you have to tell me?” she asked. “You sound worried, mijo. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, just when can you meet me?” I asked. “Are you free for lunch today?”

“Si, mijo.” she said. “Where do you want to meet me?”

“I can come pick you up. I’m supposed to be recording, but we can take a break for lunch.”

“Okay, see you then.”

We hung up and I got up to get ready. I had to make sure I was looking as god as possible because William and I would be working together today. I made sure everything matched, something that I generally don’t bother with. But today was special. Today was the day after William and my first date.

I walked out to the living room to see Vicky with a bowl of cereal, watching cartoons in her pajamas.

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” I said, cheerily.

“Hey, how’d your date go?” she asked, opening her arms up for a hug.

“It was amazing!” I said, walking over and hugging her tightly. “We went out to dinner and talked for hours, then I walked him home and we kissed. Which was the best part of the night.” I blushed, but smiled even wider.

“Sounds like you really like him.” Vicky said. “I won’t keep you from lover boy, but I want all the details at lunch, okay?”

“Oh, I’m meeting with my mom at lunch.” I said. “I’m thinking I should tell her about William.”

“Good luck, hun.” she said. “I’m sure she’ll be fine with it, but just in case, my number is on speed dial and I’ll keep my phone with me all day. We'll talk about your date tonight, then.”

“Thanks, Vicky.” I said. “I hope it all goes well.”

“Your mom is incredibly sweet. She’ll love you, no matter what.”

“I gotta go. I’ll see you tonight!” I said, running out the door, grabbing my keys as I went.

Once I got to the recording studio, I walked over to William, who was sitting with his back to the door and grabbed him around the waist, kissing his cheek from behind.

“Gabe!” he said, turning towards me. “You scared the shit out of me!”

I laughed. “That was the idea.” I said. “How are you today?”

“Pretty good.” he said, smiling. “Excited. I get to work with this really hot lead singer today.”

“Oh, yeah?” I said. “Do I know him?”

“Maybe.” he said. “He’s a bit taller than me, has dark hair, tan skin and a smile to die for.”

“Hmm… sounds familiar, where could I have seen such a person?”

William laughed. “In the mirror, you dumbass.”

I hugged him around the middle again and turned to a shocked Pete sitting with his mouth hanging open at the soundboard.

“What?” I said. “I’m not allowed to be happy?”

“Since when are you gay, Gabe?” Pete asked, still looking shocked.

“Since I met William.” I said. “And I’m not gay, I’m bi. We had our first date last night. We’re not serious yet.” I mouthed the last bit over William’s head, “But I can’t wait until we are.”

“Well, congrats, man!” Pete said. “I hope you two are very happy together. Just don’t let it distract you from the task at hand.”

“We won’t.” I said, squeezing William against me in a tight hug.

“Break it up, lovebirds. Let’s get William recording. Teach him the chorus, would you?”

William and I worked together on the chorus until we had it perfect and he recorded his part while I watched. I really did love his voice. It would make the song so much more special, knowing it’s something we worked on together.

We finished recording William’s parts before lunchtime and hung out with Pete for a bit before heading home.

“So, what are you guys going to do with this?” Pete asked.

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused.

“Well, Ashlee and I were pretty open with the press about our relationship, but with you two, it’s a bit different. I don’t know if you want to deal with all the public attention. It could ruin both bands’ futures.”

I hadn’t thought of that… I’ve just accepted that I’m gay. I haven’t even told my family yet, how could I deal with telling the world? I am in no way ashamed of William, but I don’t know if I could cope with all the media attention…

“I think that’s something for us to decide together.” William said. “Would you mind if we had some privacy for a bit?”

“Not at all.” Pete said, standing up and leaving the room.

“So?” William said.

“Well, what do you think?” I asked, hoping he’d say he doesn’t want us to come out with it just yet.

“I have no problem with letting everybody know right away. But I know you’re still new to the whole experience, so I was wondering what you wanted to do. I will go with whatever you decide.” William said, holding my hand comfortingly.

“I’d rather we keep it a secret, you know? Just for now.” I said. “I haven’t even had the time to tell my mom yet, but I’m going to at lunch. Still though… If you don’t mind, I’d rather keep it secret.”

“Whatever you want, baby.” William said. “I mean, we’ve only been on one date so far. It’s not as if we’ve even made out yet.”

“Yeah, it’s still too early to try and deal with the press.” I said. “So this means no PDA… That could be difficult.” I winked at him, loving the way his cheeks reddened at my comment.

“So you said you’re telling you’re mom at lunch?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m picking her up.” I said. “I’m honestly kind of worried. I know she accepts gays, but that might change if it’s her son we’re talking about.”

“My parents said it didn’t come as a shock.” he said, giggling. “Apparently I was a pretty flamboyant 15 year old.”

“I’m sure you were.” I laughed.

“Would you like some moral support?” William said. “I’d love to meet your mom anyways.”

“Yeah, that’d be great.” I said. He always knows how to calm me down. He has that influence on me for some reason.

<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

I knocked on my mom’s door, waiting for her to answer.

“Gabriel!” she said. “Nice to see you, mijo.”

“Nice to see you, too, mamá.” I said. “Let’s go get some lunch.”

I walked her back to the car, opening the passenger door for her.

“Mamá, this is William.” I said, pointing to the man riding in the back of my car. “He’s in the band we’re recording with.”

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Saporta.” he said, extending his hand.

“You as well, William.” my mom said. “Are you enjoying working with my Gabriel?”

“Very much, ma’am.” he said, smiling at me.

“Please, call me Mrs. Saporta. Ma’am is too formal.” she said.

“No problem, Mrs. Saporta.”

I drove the car to a small café near the recording studio that had great vegetarian food. I pulled in to a space and opened the door for my mom and William, since they were on the same side.

“Nice to know you have manners even when it doesn’t concern your mother.” my mom said.

“You’ve raised him well.” William said.

“I would hope so.”

We sat down and ordered, my heart beating faster by the moment. I decided to just get it over with while she was in a good mood.

“Mamá?” I said. “I have something to tell you.”

“Tell away.,” she said, “I’m all ears.”

“Mamá, I’m bisexual.” I said, not meeting her gaze. William grabbed my hand under the table and squeezed, getting me to look up. He smiled reassuringly and nodded in encouragement.

“And this is your boyfriend?” my mom said.

I looked up to see here smiling widely. “You’re not angry?” I asked

“Not at all, mijo.” she said, still smiling. “I love you for who you are and I respect you for having the courage tot ell me. You didn’t answer my question, though. Is this sweet boy your boyfriend?”

“Well, we’ve been out on a date and-”

“Yes, I am.” William said, smiling at me, then my mother. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Saporta.”

“Well, if you’re dating my son, you’ve got to call me Mamá Saporta.”

“We’re not that serious yet, mamá.” I grumbled, embarrassed, but happy that she liked William.

“Nonsense. All your friends call me Mamá Saporta, why shouldn’t he?” she said. “I like him, he’s not skanky like those girls you used to bring home.”

“Mamá!” I said. “You’re just trying to embarrass me now, aren’t you?”

“Mijo, if you aren’t used to this already, I don’t know when you will be.” she laughed. “I’m assuming this was the big news you were so worked up about?”

“Yeah, I was worried you wouldn’t be happy for me.” I said. “I’m really happy and I wanted to share.”

“I love you, mijo.” she said. “Who you date has no bearing on that. If it did, I’d have disowned you a long time ago.”

The rest of lunch went well. My mom seemed to really like William, although he didn’t call her Mamá Saporta like she’d asked. I think he knew it made me uncomfortable and he wanted me to be happy. I really like him, I’ve got to say.And though it might be too early, I think I may love him.

When lunch was over, William and I got up and drove my mother home. She gave us both huge hugs, whispering something to William that I couldn’t hear, no matter how close I leaned in.

William and I climbed back into the car and I smiled over at him in the passenger seat, grabbing his hand and interlocking our fingers.

“Thanks for being there for me.” I said, kissing his hand. “I really appreciate it.”

“No problem.” he said. “I really like your mom, by the way. She’s sweet.”

“She’s embarrassing, but you gotta love her.” I said, smiling and putting the car in drive, letting go of William’s hand.

“Did you really mean what you said in there?” I asked.

“What?” William asked. “That I’m your boyfriend?”

“Yeah, that.” I said, blushing and focusing on the road.

“Of course. I really like you, Gabe.” he said, reaching out for my hand.

“I really like you, too.” I said, sending a smile his way.

We drove in pleasant silence for a while, me heading towards where his apartment is.

“Hey Gabe?” he said suddenly, breaking the comfortable silence.

“Yeah, Will?” I asked.

“Do you want to meet Genevieve?”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, a long chapter to make up for the wait! Hopefully you all like it!

Also, PLEASE comment? I really want to know what everyone thinks so I can know what I can do better or if I'm doing okay...

And, hooray!!! Stuff is finally happening in the story!

<3 Casey