Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Five Chapter Forty-Nine: To Cling or Betray (Winter 2014/2015)

Hanru Narrating: A clock will spin and spin for as long as it can; like the world. The concept or a circle means to always keep going in the same pattern over and over again none-stop until the pattern is changed. If the world were a rectangle or even a square, would we experience recurring situations which plague our lives? What would it take to change something so vast?

(Detective Connors is sitting at a park bench watching the young questionably dressed couples laugh and walk alongside each other, the kids having vicious snowball fights and suspicious-looking men wearing rugged jeans and wife beaters standing near a large tree. Connors is a bit baffled by the sight of this. Seeing as it’s freezing cold out and snow is nearly piled up above the ankles. He quickly gets over it and continues to look around the park. Eventually, he sees an individual in a long brown trench coat walk pass a trashcan and toss something in there. Connors looks left; then right. He stands and casually walks over to the trashcan while keeping an eye on the person in the trench coat. He grabs the package and turns around to see the men in skimpy clothing starring back at him. He ignores them and proceeds to open the package. His phone rings. Connors quickly ducks beside a tree and answers it.)

Anonymous: Your next clue is in the trashcan near the slide in a brown envelope. I’ll be in touch. (Hangs up)

(Connors walks away from the tree with package in hand. He tucks it away in his coat and tails the individual in the trench coat through the park. He continues to looks around at anything suspicious but doesn’t find anything. He keeps his hands in his pocket and follows the individual to a car parked out in the street. They enter the vehicle and Connors makes a mental note of the type of car and license plate and the style of car. The car is a tan 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88. The person Connors was tailing is revealed to be actually be a woman as she takes her trench coat off in the car and tosses it in the backseat. She gets out of the vehicle wearing black jeans and a dark red furry sweater. She leaves the car and quickly runs across the street- nearly getting hit by 2 cars but simply raising her hand and continuing to walk. She enters an alleyway and approaches a black 2009 Eclipse. A tall handsome looking man with slicked back blonde hair sits in the driver’s seat. He reaches over and quickly lets her in.)

Kayla: Ugh! It’s freezing out there! People who live in Alaska are freaks!

Man: Are you done complaining?

Kayla: No! I can complain all I want; you’re not my dad.

Man: No, but I am your boss. Did you get it done?

Kayla: Yes, Jason; I got it done.

Jason: Good. (Takes car out of park and drives out of the alleyway)

(Jason leaves the alleyway and drives down the snowy road. Connors stands beside a pole next to a nearby bus stop writing down the license plate of the car.)

(Hanru’s house)

(A beat up old car from the ‘80’s is seen parking in front of Hanru’s home. The young man driving is named Lee. He is around Hanru’s age and he has darkish white. Hanru sits in the passenger seat.)

Hanru: Thank you for giving me a ride; I know I’ll need to work on getting a car soon.

Lee: That’s fine, brother. Sorry Kaito couldn’t help you with that. You would think a rich big time don would hook you up with something.

Hanru: I’ll figure something out. Thank you again for the ride.

Lee: Maybe take me out to lunch or something to make it up to me.

Hanru: Deal.

(Hanru leaves the vehicle seconds later and Lee drives off.)

(Police station, Miami)

(A young detective is seen wondering around a very organized office. He examines every item in the room and even looks up at the ceiling. The door opens and a very attractive slightly older blonde woman walks in.)

Lin: (Firm) Have a seat.

Henry: Oh; yes ma’am.

(The two of them sit across from each other at the desk. She takes a moment to keep herself calm and collect her thoughts.)

Lin: You- Please; explain to me why we had to let one of our most hard to catch suspects go this morning.

Henry: (Nervous) You uh… You got me there, Lieutenant.

Lin: Don’t treat this like it’s a joke cause it’s not! Your search warrant was not signed by the judge; therefore making what we found in his home illegally obtained!

Henry: (Covers his face with his palms in shame) Ah… (Lowers hands) I’m sorry, Lieutenant; but I had to act fast.

Lin: You acted on your own ignorance! This comes down on all of us; not just you! You’re smarter than this; what’s going on with you?

Henry: (Takes a deep breath and hesitates for a few seconds) I… I don’t know; Lieutenant. I honestly don’t know.

Lin: Go home; figure it out. Don’t come back in until further notice.

Henry: Yes; ma’am; I understand.

(Henry leaves the office and closes the door behind him.)

(Bus stop)

(The city bus takes off, leaving behind the young woman waving and chasing after it through the emitted smog. The young woman is Jessica. Jessica stops chasing the buss after realizing she cannot catch it. She disappointingly walks back to the bus stop. She sees a blonde Caucasian woman dressed in black sweatpants with a large black winter jacket and cornrows in her hair. She sounds as if she’s obviously not from an educated lifestyle. She slouches on the bench with her arms crossed and her right leg swaying back and forth.)

Woman: Hey, shawty.

Jessica: (Hesitates to respond and confusingly points at herself) Me?

Woman: I don’t see no one else here; do you?

(Jessica looks over and sees a dog happily urinating on an unconscious homeless man about 15 feet away. She then looks back at the woman.)

Jessica: I guess not

Woman: (Chuckles) Where you from; I know it a’int around here.

(Jessica hesitates to answer.)

Woman: (Leans forward and holds her hands together on her lap while titling her thumbs) It’s all good; I ain’t gonna bite cha; unless you ask me too. (Slightly chuckles) Look, a’int no one around here gonna help you out if you need it and you look like you need it. So, shoot; if I was you, I’d take the help while it’s being offered cause it a’int happening again.

Jessica: I mean I can’t just trust you like that; I don’t even know you.

Woman: Shoot; what all you need to know? I’m Cleo, and chicks know not to be messin’ with Cleo or they get a broke jaw. That’s all there is to it.

(Jessica remains silent but Cleo can tell she’s thinking about something. Cleo slouches back into the seat and crosses her arms again.)

Cleo: I mean it’s only respect for you to give somebody their name once they tell you there’s; I mean- am I right? (Presses her fingertips on her chest) That’s just how I was raised. I mean I don’t know about you.

Jessica: (Nods her head a few times and closes her eyes) Yeah… Yeah… (Opens her eyes and looks at Cleo) You’re right; I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to disrespect you. I’m Jessica.

Cleo: (Puts on a big smile) Jessica. Ooh, that’s a gorgeous name. It fit’s you.

Jessica: (Slightly nervous) Um… Yeah; thank you.

Cleo: The next bus isn’t coming for awhile. You should come sit down.

(Jessica stares at her quietly. Cleo knows she doesn’t trust her. She sits back up again.)

Cleo: You really wanna be standing out there in this cold snow?!

(Jessica quietly walks over to Cleo and sits next to her.)

Cleo: I can tell you got nowhere to go.

Jessica: Really; and how can you tell that?

Cleo: The big duffle bag around your arm.

Jessica: (Feeling dumb) Right… duh.

Cleo: (Chuckles) So you runnin’ away from home or something? (Leans more forward, gets comfy, and observes her surroundings) Ah, I remember when I tried to run away from home. Man my dad really showed me the love when he got me back home. The homey Pino and I went out to get some weed and what he didn’t tell me is his hookup was into that White Girl stuff. So while we was there, the cops show up and… they start just banging on the door, I mean BANG, BANG BANG. The whole apartment complex could hear that noise. So he starts yelling at me; telling me to hurry to the bathroom window. Before I even get down the hall, the cops come in and put the cuffs on all of us. They call my parents after realizing I was reported missing for a few days. My dad really punished me a good one back then. But it’s funny ‘cause he before the fool never showed he cared for me. I guess rough love is better than no love, right?

Jessica: Yeah, I guess so.

Cleo: So look, I don’t want you getting into some trouble for some stuff you had nothing to do with, so I’ll take care of you until you figure somethin’ out, alright?

Jessica: Alright. Thank you very much, Cleo.

(Airport)

(A handsome Venezuelan man in his late 20’s is seen walking through the terminal of an airport with a tan messenger bag across his shoulder. He continues to walk forward but very casually checks his surroundings. He is stopped by Detective Connors who sits in the chair beside him as he passes.)

Connors: I see you made it safe. Here, have a seat.

(The man quietly sits next to Connors and sighs.)

Connors: How ‘ya doing, Isaac?

Isaac: I thought I told you to forget about me? Our business is done.

Connors: I’m just gonna get right to it. I need you to look up a license plate for me.

Isaac: You’re a cop; you can do that on your own.

Connors: Not this time. The case I’m working on is highly sensitive and it’s off the radar.

Isaac: What is this involving?

Connors: Jack Gustavo.

Isaac: Ah; so you’re investigating his death.

Connors: So you know?

Isaac: He was the boss that people of my rank shouldn’t know. I caused some attention to his business and he had to bail me out.

Connors: And he let you live?

Isaac: Yep- for the same reason why you called me up here.

Connors: You have a lot of connections and resources?

Isaac: Is the license plate the only thing you need help with, detective?

Connors: For now, but I may need further assistance if this gets too complicated.

Isaac: Fine; I’ll help you out with the plate.

(Bus station)

(Lawrence, Natasha, Israel, and Clay stand in a bus terminal. Clay is the only one with a duffel bag however. He turns to see his wife Sierra kneeling beside their daughter Emily; putting a pink coat around her.)

Clay: I think it’s best we stay out of dodge for awhile; can’t have anyone coming after my family. They always come first before this life and the two should never get mixed up.

Lawrence: Pft; easy for you to say.

Clay: You know, you could always just make a move. You keep complaining about not being able to see your brother. Maybe what you need to do is start spending time with him instead of distancing yourself from him and making excuses to justify it.

Israel: Okay, okay; Lawrence, calm down. Let’s not have this escalate into something bigger.

Lawrence: No… You know maybe he’s right. I’ll make you a deal, Clay- I’ll stop complaining about not seeing my brother and I’ll make an effort to see him, but only if you do the same. You know it was someone in your crew who tried to set you up with Marwin. You said you wanted to wait and get Intel first before we started cappin’ fools, but we’ve talked about it on multiple occasions how you’ve wanted to get out of this life and live decently. You have enough to retire on and your family would be covered. So what’s stopping you from ensuring your family’s safety and taking them all out right now?

Clay: We can’t just go in there guns blazing and expect to make it out without a scratch.

Israel: You underestimate us.

Clay: Whatever, look… (Sighs)

(Clay turns around and stares at his family looking back at him patiently.)

Clay: (Sighs) Dang it.

(Clay doesn’t look too happy. He approaches his family with the other three keeping a respectable distance behind him. Clay looks straight into his wife’s eyes and gently grabs one side of her head. His wife takes a deep breath, closes her eyes tight and looks toward the ground with a worrisome look on her face. She knows that he’s going to do something life threatening and blood-shedding. She lightly cried, and he softly presses her face on his shoulder.)

(Hanru’s home)

(It’s late at night and Hanru is seen walking toward his front door. As he approaches the porch, Lawrence comes out of the bushes behind him.)

Hanru: (Turns around) You know you could just knock on the door like a normal person.

Lawrence: Isreal, Natasha, and I are headed back to Miami. We have some business to take care of there. That means you won’t have anyone watching your back in Jason comes after you; and it’ll be just my luck if this is the time he decides to make his move.

Hanru: I’ll try my best to stay unnoticed.

Lawrence: You just try your best not to get yourself killed. Jason is a dangerous man, little brother. You have no idea how.

Hanru: I know you’re my big brother, but I can handle myself; I’m old enough.

(Lawrence walks up to Hanru and gives him a loving brotherly hug.)

Lawrence: I’ll be back, bro.

(Lawrence stops hugging Hanru and just walks off.)

(Cleo’s trailer)

(Jessica and Cleo both enter Cleo’s home. On sight, Cleo’s parents are seen as dirty; messy individuals who sit around all day and let the garbage in the house pile up. Jessica looks on the ground and sees a black and white cat eating some old meat that fell out of the tipped over trashcan on the stained carpet.)

Mother: Oh, I see you brought another stray over; this one staying too?

Cleo: (Attitude) Don’t worry about it, she won’t be bothering you.

Mother: Honey, she’s starting with that attitude again; you better check her.

Father: (Stares blankly at the T.V. and takes a sip of beer) Ah- as long as she’s paying and you feed her, she can stay. But if I catch even one of my beers missing, y’all both gon’ be out in the cold.

Cleo: Whatever. We’re going in my room; don’t disturb us.

(Cleo elbows Jessica in the shoulder multiple times to get her to hurry down the small hallway. After the fourth elbow, she gets the hint and goes back. Cleo follows seconds later.)

(One again, at a café- Connors and Isaac are sitting at a table looking through a laptop. A sweet red-headed waitress with a southern accent passes by.)

Charlie: Y’all need a refill or anything or you’re all good?

Isaac: No, I think we’re fine; thank you. Where’s our other waitress; did she get tired of our nagging?

Charlie: (Chuckles) Oh no, nothing like that. I was just passing by and thought I’d offer you fellas a nice warm refreshment. But shh... they don’t like when you do that.

Isaac: Oh, well, no thank you.

Connors: Sure I’d like a refill please; just as long as I don’t have to give two tips.

Charlie: (Refills his cup) Oh don’t be silly; I’m happy to help you out. You boys look tired; I can tell you’ve been hard at work. May I ask what you’re working on?

Isaac: Cop stuff; you wouldn’t be interested.

Connors: Glad you’re my partner; you’re really discreet.

Isaac: hey, what’s the fun of working undercover with a cop if you can’t brag about it?

Connors: Sorry, honey; but we really can’t discuss it. The case is sensitive.

Isaac: How could it be sensitive if the police aren’t even officially involved?

(Connors sighs and shakes his head in frustration and regret. Isaac just smirks at Connors.)

Charlie: Well the fish is out of the skillet now; do you mind if I toss my 2 cents in? Maybe I could help you guys out?

Connors: You know… (Reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small card) I know what you can do for me, sweetie. This is my cell; you call me at this number if you find this man.

(Connors stares over at Isaac. Isaac just sits there blankly.)

Isaac: What?

Connors: I swear you’re the worst sidekick ever.

Isaac: Hey, it’s not like we’re Batman and Robin here. We’re partners; that means we’re equals!

Connors: Ah, he’s so cute.

Charlie: (Smiles and winks at Isaac to help boost his self esteem.) Now that you mention it, he is quite the looker. If it wasn’t for my boyfriend in Japan, I might just be all over this one.

Isaac: Ha, see! The queen has spoken!

Connors: Whatever, just show her the monitor, partner.

(Isaac turns the laptop over to Charlie and shows her a picture of Jason.)

Connors: This man goes by the name Jason.; do you know him?

Charlie: You know, he looks awfully familiar, but I just can’t quite put my finger on him. It’s a shame really, cause normally I never forget a face.

Connors: If you think of anything just call me.

Charlie: (Takes his card and puts it in her pocket) Yes, sir, Mr. Detective. (Smiles) I better get going now. It was nice talking to y’all.

Connors: You take care now.

Isaac: Just so you know; you’re quite the cutie yourself.

(Charlie and Isaac laugh while Connors just feels disgusted.)

(Cleo’s trailer late at night)

(Cleo opens the refrigerator to light up the pitch black kitchen. Jessica nervously looks around.)

Jessica: We shouldn’t be doing this; your dad didn’t seem too happy with the idea of us taking his beer.

Cleo: Don’t even worry about it; he can get mad all day if he wants, he ain’t gon do nothing.

Jessica: That was a double negative; what you just said. Look I just don’t want you getting into any trouble.

Cleo: I said… don’t worry about it. It’s cool; trust me; I do it all the time.

(Cleo grabs a cold slice of pizza and holds it in her mouth by the crust. She grabs another slice of pizza for Jessica and 3 beers before closing the fridge. The two of them enter Cleo’s lit room décor-ed with only one poster on the wall beside the bed of a band she loves, a short double mattress bed, and a beat up old computer desk with a green and blue lava lamp on top. She also has a brown, hardly used, dresser near her door between the door and the closet. Dirty clothes are scattered all over the floor. Cleo plops her butt on the bed and sighs or a few seconds before taking a huge bit of her pizza. Jessica just stands in the doorway looking around.)

Cleo: What’s the matter? Do you want me to say it again? Make yourself at home. I know it’s not as much as the fancy rich people, but hey, it’s me.

(Jessica softly closes the door behind her.)

Jessica: You’re a messy empty person.

(Jessica slowly approaches Cleo and sits on the bed next to her.)

Jessica: You’re just like me. (Nervously chuckles and rubs her hands together.)

Cleo: (Silently grabs her hands and stops her from rubbing them together) It’s okay. You don’t gotta be nervous. I got you, no matter what. I a’int gon’ let anything happen to you.

(Jessica just wants to cry but she’s afraid to make herself vulnerable.)

Jessica: Why do you even care so much about me?

Cleo: I don’t know… (Removes her hands and shrugs) I guess I’m just feelin’ you is all- like we got this connection.

Jessica: Yeah? Well, thank you… I (Struggles to keep her tears in) I’m alone right now… and… (Failing to hold her tears in) And I just don’t know where to turn. (Begins to cry) Please ju- (Cries harder) Please, just don’t hurt me…

(Jessica falls over into Cleo’s lap and cries her eyes out on her thigh. Cleo just stays silent and gently strokes Jessica’s hair. The next morning Jessica wakes up to the gentle feel of Cleo’s hand across her face. Jessica quickly jumps out of Cleo’s lap in a panic.)

Jessica: Oh, my gosh! What happened?

Cleo: (Lightly Chuckles) What does it look like? You cried on my lap until 3 last light about your roommate who kicked you out, your car getting stolen, and your pops and some guy you was crushin’ on with the weird name. Who names their kid that anyway?

Jessica: (Covers her face) Oh no; I was crying?! This is so embarrassing…

Cleo: I thought it was beautiful.

Jessica: (Uncovers her face and looks at Cleo smiling at her for a few seconds) What all did I say… About the guy I mean?

Cleo: (Frustrated) Basically that he never saw you for the amazing beautiful woman that you are and waited ‘till you didn’t want him anymore and then he comes begging to you like a punk wanting to be with you. I’m glad you didn’t take him. You deserve to be treated better. You’re a princess and the person you get with needs to recognize that. You shared your story with me last night and it was so beautiful; so- beautiful. I never felt so connected to someone else like that.

Jessica: (Hesitant) Yeah… I remember now. (Takes a long deep breath to soak it all in) You’re just like me in some ways, aren’t you?

Cleo: Maybe.

Jessica: It’s really hard for me to let people in. By some miracle you made it through in one day. I don’t know how you did it, but you’re in there now. So please… just don’t-

Cleo: Hey, hey, shh. (Hugs Jessica tight) Now you know I a’int gonna let anybody hurt you, okay. You’re my girl.

(Jessica looks up at Cleo with a surprised look on her face.)

Jessica: You’re girl?

Cleo: Yeah, you’re my girl now. Something about you makes me feel all mushy and for some reason you make me feel okay about feeling this way.

(Jessica and Cleo both nervously stare into one another’s eyes a few seconds. They slowly lean into each other closer and closer. They both press into each other, but at the last second, Jessica turns her head and Cleo ends up kissing Jessica on the cheek.)

Jessica: Sorry, I just, uh… I’m just not ready for…

(Before Jessica can finish talking, Cleo begins softly kissing on Jessica’s neck. Jessica seems to be enjoying it at first but then feels weird about it and gently pushes Cleo back.)

Jessica: Sorry, uhm… I’m not ready for this; not yet.

(The door is opened and Cleo’s mother comes barging in.)

Cleo: What the heck, Nancy; don’t you knock?! Get out of my room!

(Her mother runs up to her and slaps her across the face.)

Mother: (Angered) Don’t you ever call me that again. I am your mother and you will respect me as so! Your father specifically told you not to get any of his beers and once again, like a spoiled little child, you go and however many you felt like! (Shakes her head in disappointment and crosses her arms) I sent your father out for some smokes before he noticed but now I gotta come up with some excuse to save your butt again! I don’t know where we went wrong with you, but you a’int right. You’re not the daughter I had plans for growing up; you’re just some imposter who I squeezed out of my vag! (Points her finger at Cleo) This is the last time I’m covering for you; but you better straighten yourself up after today, little missy.

Jessica: Please don’t be so hard on her, she was just-

Mother: Excuse me! I was not speaking to you, and to be quite honest, I don’t like the idea of you under my roof. You’re probably just another skank who my daughter brought over to bunch coochies with and satisfy her sick disgusting sexual addiction!

(Cleo gets up and punches her mother right in the nose. Her mother flinches back and holds her blood leaking nose firmly as she looks a bit dazed from the hit. She stares at her daughter and sees the rage in her eyes. She looks toward the ground, than looks at her daughter one last time before slowly leaving the room without a word said. In pure rage, Cleo grabs her bedroom door and slams it shut. She yells at the top of her lungs and repeatedly kick the door while screaming louder and louder after every hit. After about 7 or 8 kicks, she stops and holds her stomach in pain while moaning and groaning. Jessica looks at the white wooden door and sees it’s about to cave a hole. She slowly approaches Cleo and tries to hug her for comfort but Cleo aggressively shoves Jessica away. She falls to the ground and just continues to cry. Jessica slowly sits beside her on the ground. Cleo just looks at Jessica and very quickly wipes the tears from her eyes.)

Cleo: Let’s go! (Quickly stands up)

Jessica: Where are we going?

Cleo: LET’S GO!

(Jessica quickly stands up and Cleo charges out of the room. Jessica quickly follows.)

(Lawrence, Israel, Natasha, and Clay drive into a small suburb community in Miami, Florida. They park in the driveway of a home with an open garage. A man in his late 30’s; possibly early 40’s is inside working under the hood of a 1972 green Ford Gran Torino. He puts his tools down and turns around to face them. Everyone gets out of the vehicle and Natasha follows, but she just stays where she’s at and stretches. Lawrence, Clay, and Israel approach the man in his garage.)

Earl: Well, Clay! Late as usual; you got my money- 8 years worth that you owe me?

Clay: I got one better for you, Earl.

(Clay grabs his duffel back from the van, opens it up and tosses it in front of Earl.)

Clay: That’s 4 times as much I owe you. You can the $5000 that I owe you; plus another 5 for late fee, but if you want the other half, you gotta do a job for me. I know you deal with a lot of cars, but there’s one particular I need.

Earl: You come out of the blue and ask me for a favor after owing me money? Gutsy as ever I see.

(The door opens and out comes a beautiful Mexican woman and a boy around 6.)

Janice: Hey, honey; lunch is ready; I made you a sandwich... (Startled by the sight of the uninvited guests)

Lawrence: (Good evening, ma’am- or is it still morning?

Janice: Clay? You’re here?

Clay: Hello Mrs. Townley.

Janice: What have you come to bother my husband about now?

Clay: Just need a car is all.

Earl: Go inside; both of you.

(Janice takes her son and charges back into the house without saying a word.)

Earl: What is it you need exactly, Clay?

Clay: You know the one.

Earl: (Thinks for a second) Ahh… I almost forgot about that one. The performance isn’t all that great, just you know. It needs a tune and I a’int gonna play it for ‘ya.

Clay: That’s alright; I don’t need a tune; I just need it to sing. I’m gonna make a symphony out of her.

Earl: (Laughs) What a waste, but hey, she’s yours now. Let me get you the keys.

(Junkyard)

(Many men and women wearing black leather jackets and worn out blue jeans appear to be having a great time socializing around their junkyard- flirting, fixing cars and other outdoor activities. The roar of an engine is heard from a distance. The all suddenly stop what they’re doing and turn to face a giant dust cloud approaching them. A classic black Lincoln Continental Mark III speeds through the open gate of the dusty junkyard and comes to a sudden stop in the middle of the yard. Some of the men reach in their pockets for their weapons. The windows are tinted and no one’s able to see inside. The driver side window lowers and a young man in his mid 20’s attempts to talk, but his words are interrupted with a very unwelcoming greeting with sudden firing of gunshots between pistols and submachine guns banging against his car. He ducks in his car and covers his ears. The bullets spark all over the paintjob of his vehicle and just bounce off of his window. A few of the bullets fly though the open window, bounce off the opposite window and land on the seat next to the young man. After about 16 seconds of storming bullets, they are all commanded to stop.)

Ralph: ALRIGHT; HOLD IT, HOLD IT!

(The young man uncovers his ears and places his hand on the seat next to him, accidentally pressing his palm against the hot bullets. He quickly jumps and squeals like a girl. One man freaks out and shoots at the car once again. This causes everyone else to continue shooting at well. Ralph smacks the guy who shot first in the back of his head and loudly whistles to get his crew to stop.)

Ralph: Now I said cool it!

(Ralph tosses his AK-47over his shoulder and fearlessly approaches the vehicle. Three men stand behind Ralph aiming different pistols at the vehicle.)

Young man: Um… Well hello to you too? I would give you a proper greeting but I don’t have my gun on me at the moment; sorry.

Ralph: Why don’t you come on out here, boy.

(The door opens and the young man stands up. The young man is revealed to be Hanru’s older brother Lawrence. Lawrence raises both his hands over his shoulders to align with his head.)

Lawrence: I’d hate to see how your boys say goodbye.

Ralph: (Very casually lowers his weapon and points the barrel at Lawrence) Mind telling us what you’re doing here?

Lawrence: Well I needed an oil change for my car but-

(Frustrated by his inability to take the matter seriously, Ralph lets off a shot which flies beside Lawrence and into the car.)

Ralph: I a’int got time for your games, boy! Now tell me why you’re here!

Woman: Oww…

Ralph: Who’s that? Someone else I that car with you?!

Lawrence: I’d hope so. She is my girlfriend after all and hopefully you didn’t just blow her brains out with that shot.

(She opens the door and very aggressively slams her hands on the hood of the car.)

Israel: EX-girlfriend! And you just shot me on the side of the neck! (Wipes trailing blood off her neck) That hurts, you know.

(A shot is heard and a spark is seen by Israel’s foot. She looks back in confusion.)

Israel: What the heck…

Biker: Sorry, boss!

Lawrence: Calm your boys before they get hurt. I has a proposition for you, sir; and I think you’ll find it to your liking.

Ralph: No thanks; I don’t do deals with clowns.

Lawrence: Why do you think I’m here? I got a little something in the trunk for you. Step into my office.

(Lawrence guides Ralph to the back. Lawrence opens the trunk of the car and shows him a treasure chest.)

Lawrence: Let’s see what’s behind door number one, shall we? Help me with this.

(Lawrence and Ralph both muscle the chest out of the trunk and onto the dirt ground. He opens the chest with a tiny key and flips both locks. Opening the large chest reveals stacks and stacks of neatly wrapped hundred dollar bills.)

Ralph: What is this?

Lawrence: Consider that a down payment for a few moments of your time, sir. 5 minutes; that’s all I ask.

Ralph: (A bit hesitant) Hm… (Peaks at Israel as she looks at the splitting ends of her long blonde hair) In that case, step into MY office.

Lawrence: (Huge smile) Alright, now we’re gettin’ somewhere.

(Lawrence and Israel enter Ralph’s small office just before he enters.)

Ralph: Have a seat, please. (Closes the door)

(Lawrence and Israel sit in two chairs behind his desk and he sits on the other side.)

Ralph: Forgive me for not being too open on trust with you two love birds.

(Ralph sneaks his finger underneath his desk and takes the safety off a hidden pistol taped underneath the desk.)

Lawrence: We don’t ask for much just enough to get us through the door before we blow your face off.

(Ralph’s adrenaline begins to slowly rush through his body.)

Ralph: You shouldn’t have said that, boy.

(Ralph pulls the trigger on the pistol underneath his desk but nothing happens.)

Lawrence: As my Ex-girlfriend picked on me for many times, it seems you too are shooting blanks.

Israel: We’re killing all of Jason’s associates and contacts and you’re on his list of flies which need to be swatted.

Ralph: MEN, GET IN HERE RIGHT NOW; THESE CRAZY-

(Ralph’s head is blown up and his brains go flying across the entire room and all over Lawrence and Israel. Israel is seen holding a double-barrel shotgun.)

Lawrence: It’s too bad he didn’t know about the shotgun we planted underneath his desk.

Israel: You think Clay’s out of range by now?

Lawrence: Does a duck poop in the wood?

Israel: What?

Lawrence: Whatever; blow it.

Israel: (Giggle and winks) Oh Yes, baby; I’ll blow it so good.

(Israel pulls out a switch from her pocket. She presses the button and outside the car they drove in explodes do to the rigged bomb at on the bottom. The explosion is large enough to cover the entire junkyard and kill everyone in the area.)

(Chicago)

(Jessica and Cleo both approach a large group of young woman laughing together. Cleo wraps her arm around Jessica and the two of them continue walking. The crowd gets quiet and they all slowly separate as if the two of them walk in between the crowd as if they own the place. She then kisses Jessica on the cheek and continues walking forward. One of the Black girls runs up behind them and punches Cleo in the back of the head.)

Chick: I see you got yourself a new ho.

(Cleo turns around and bops her a good one right in the mouth.

Random Guy across the street walking with his male friend: OOOOOOH

Chick 2: Get her, get her! You better get her!

(The chick angrily tries to go after Jessica but Cleo blocks her skinny butt with her slightly oversize body. The chick tries scratching at Jessica but after a few seconds, Cleo pushes the chick to the ground, runs up to her and decks her with a straight hook to the face while she’s down. Jessica stands back and watches as Cleo just holds this girl down with one arm and pounds on her with the other as the chick viciously tries to get up and defend herself. Cleo stops after the 12th punch and takes a moment to look at the girl’s bloody face. She cocks back and punches her across the lip one last time.)

Cleo: Don’t you ever try coming after my girl again! I’m done with you, Tanika! (Spits in her face)

Chick 2: Ohh. That wasn’t right.

(Cleo stands up and glares at everyone else.)

Cleo: WHAT?! Y’all want some too?! I’ll be happy to give you some.

(The other 5 girls all drop their bags and charge Cleo at once. About half an hour later, Cleo is seen smoking a small blunt of weed with bruises and blood all over her face on a stoop. Jessica keeps her distance but sits on the far end of the same step.)

Jessica: I’m sorry. I should’ve helped you.

(Cleo just spits out a clot of blood from her mouth. She takes a slow deep inhale of her weed, holds it, and then exhales slowly.)

Cleo: You all good. We just met, right? How could I expect you to have my back when I needed it?

Jessica: Still, I’m sorry. You need… (Stomachs her words) A girl… Who will always have your back and not be afraid to get her hands dirty. I thought I lived a rough life but I see now, my life wasn’t as bad as I thought. You live a pretty rough life and I’ve only had a small taste of it.

(Jessica scoots close to Cleo and grabs Cleo’s left hand.)

Jessica: You deserve to have someone be by your side through everything.

(Jessica hugs Cleo tight in her arms.)

(Detective Connors drives on the highway; Isaac sits on the passenger’s seat taking a nap. His face pressed against the window. Connors looks over at Isaac and glares at him while he sleeps. He slams on brakes and causes Isaac’s head to jerk forward and smash the dash. The car behind him almost hits but hocks the horn and stops in time before impact. Connors takes off again as if nothing ever happened and Isaac slowly wakes up and starts scratching his head.)

Isaac: What happened?

Connors: What do you mean?

Isaac: I feel like I hit my head on a wall.

Connors: I have no idea what you’re talking about.

(Connor’s phone rings. He answers it right away.)

Connor’s: This Connors.

Jason: (Resting against his car near a large body of ice in the city) I’m sure it’s no secret you know who I am by now, detective. A very stupid follower of mine let it slip through her mind to fix the license plates. You know who I am; you just don’t know where to find me, so I’m gonna make it easy for you. It’s probably about time we met anyway.

(Minutes later, Connors pulls up to Jason’s location near the small lake. He gets out of the car and sees Jason casually leaning on the hood of his car. Both he and Isaac leave the vehicle and walk toward Jason. Connors notices Kayla in the car handcuffed to the steering wheel with a blindfold tied in her mouth. They stop when they get close to him.)

Jason: How committed are you to justice, detective Connors?

Connors: Committed enough to identify one bad guy to another.

Jason: Ah, I see. And that’s your form of justice; many wrongs but… only one right?

Connor: I live for what I believe is right. That’s the side I chose. Are you trying to make a point here?

Jason: As do we all, detective: fight to defend what we think is right. Does that make a law enforcement agent such as yourself any different from the average terrorist? No; quite the opposite actually. (Stands up and crosses his arms) So, detective, tell me; help me understand please, this obsession with trying to always do what’s right.

Connors: As a cop, I came face-to-face with that same question many times. I even came close to quitting a few times. People can see justification in anything, but that doesn’t mean you’re fighting for justice. Justice is not about doing what you think is right and making up some excuse as to why it’s the right thing to do. I’ve dealt with murderers and rapists who have all come to me and in their heart believed that what they did was the right thing. As a cop, my job is to find crazies and individuals who feel it necessary to hurt others. Like most things, the system is flawed and yes the agents are very corrupt and power hungry, but that’s just what comes with the territory. It is hard being a cop and if one cop or even 10 cops do something wrong in one state or city, our reputation throughout the country is impacted. You pick a side and take responsibility for your choices and stop trying to justify why you do the things you do. If you’re truly doing the right thing, then it does not need to be justified.

Jason: Ah… very well spoken there, sir. I knew there was something I liked about you. (Stares at Connors in silence for a few seconds) I will tell you where you can find your man.

(Jessica and Cleo are both seen late at night walking down the snowy streets wearing all black. Jessica seems nervous for some reason.)

Cleo: What you looking all scared for; a’int nobody out here to be scare of?

(The two of them stop walking and Jessica stares at something across the street.)

Jessica: I think that’s my car- parked by the curb.

Cleo: What? (Looks over) Oh snap; dat’s you? (Nods her head) Nice…

(Three young wild boys who look in there early 20’s run outside of the corner store laughing while holding cases of beers.)

Boy 1: (Laughing) Hurry! Go, Go! (Continues laughing)

(The second guy falls and smashes the case of beers he was holding. Another individual in the care quickly opens the passenger side door.)

Driver: Hurry, hurry!

(The first guy helps the second guy up and they quickly both hop in the front seat. The cashier rushes out of the store with a shotgun and yells in a foreign language while loading his shells. The driver quickly turns the car on, puts it in gear and drives off. The second guy almost gets into the car all the way but his legs slip out by accident. The cashier lets off a shot and pops the second guy right in the butt cheeks. You here him moan for a few seconds, but is then pulled into the moving vehicle. The cashier lets off three more shots with burst the back window, shatters the right tail light and hits the back right tire of the vehicle. The black SUV swerves a few seconds but the driver is able to drift a right turn and make it around the corner safely.)

Cleo: Come on.

(Cleo runs across the street and Jessica follows. The both walk into the store and see the cashier stroke his fingers through his hair in frustration. He quickly turns around at the sound of the bell once they enter.)

Cashier: (Takes a second to calm down) Get out of here; we’re closed.

Cleo: Boys coming back for their weekly rounds?

Cashier: Get out, Cleo. (Sits behind his register)

Cleo: I know the guys who robbed you, Kalem.

Cahier: Stay out of it. I will let the police handle it.

Cleo: Like they handled it the last three times? You worked hard for this business! I watched you build this place from the ground up! They need to be put in their place. (Storms out of the store)

(With smoke escaping her mouth, Cleo paces toward a house on the corner block. She looks over and sees the damaged car in the drive way. She makes her way up the stairs and steps into a small puddle of drying blood on the porch. She walks right into the house without saying a word. And entering the living room, she sees the intoxicated boys huddled around the table attempting to treat their friend’s wounds. They all look over at her in shock. After a few seconds of awkwardness, she pulls out a black pistol. She looks at all of them as they stare at her in fear. She slowly points the gun over to the boy who was driving the vehicle.)

Cleo: Nice whip outside; where’d you get it?

Driver: We stole it from some dumb chick stupid enough to drop her keys by her car.

Cleo: That stupid chick is my girl…

(Jessica nervously stands out in the front yard looking around to make sure no one is on the block. One gunshot is heard with 4 more to follow back-to back. Jessica jumps out of her skin and quickly ducks behind a bush. The dogs in the background start barking and 4 neighbors on the block turn their lights on. Sirens are heard and Jessica quickly runs inside of the house. She enters the living room and sees Cleo sitting on the couch very casually smoking a blunt of weed and blindly staring at the wall. Jessica looks down and sees three dead bodies on the floor. She approaches Cleo and sits beside her.)

Jessica: (Nervously trembling) Please tell me you shot ‘em in self defense… please…

(Cleo ignore Jessica and places the blunt on the coffee table in front of her. Jessica just nods her head and tries to keep her mind clear before anything unnecessary or crazy enters it. She grabs Cleo by the side of the face and pulls her over so that their heads are touching.)

Jessica: I had no idea you had all this going on inside you.

(Cleo’s mind is just gone. She just stares at the wall not saying a word. Jessica takes in a deep breath and tightly hugs Cleo as her face waters with tears.)

Jessica: It’s ok. You don’t have to be alone. I’m not gonna leave you, okay? I will be right here with you every step of the way through your struggle.

(Cleo slowly reaches down on the ground and hands Jessica her key ring.)

Cleo: You don’t need to be involved in this. You can’t handle the hood; you sure can’t handle the pin and I can’t babysit you. Go before the cops get here.

(Jessica hesitates, but she quickly gets up and leaves the room. Cleo can’t help but to burst out in tears. Jessica leaves the house and drives off down the street in her vehicle.)

Hanru Narrating: Cleo was a damaged soul and it is very unfortunate but Jessica couldn’t comprehend what Cleo felt for her. This wasn’t about romance or even lust. Cleo was losing her will to live and she felt Jessica was the only one who could save it at the time.

TO BE CONTINUED…
♠ ♠ ♠
1. A lot of this chapter was actually deleted because it was written to be a bridge between Volume Four and Five; mostly because Volume Five was a prequel to Volume Four.

2. The junkyard scene was originally written for Volume Six.

3. “Up Against the Wind” By Lori Perri plays at the end of the chapter after Jessica and Cleo’s talk.