A Killer In Me Is A Killer In You

Hier Un Humain Doux, Aujourd’hui Un Monstre Dur

“’Cause you’ll end up tortured to death. They all did.” Frank whimpered. “I don’t want you to be like them. I need you here.”

“W-what? Frank, I don’t, I-I don’t understand.” Gerard said, now getting scared about the shit Frank was in. A silence falls over them, as Frank tries to calm down.

“Be ready to be sucked into this nightmare,” Frank said in a low voice, seeming rather cold-hearted now. “Unless you don’t want to.”

“Frank, dude. I won’t ever leave you. Not like this,” He answered, crawling next to his best friend.

Frank took a deep breath. “Promise me you’ll keep this secret. I’m only telling you this because the guilt is becoming unbearable and because I trust you enough. I know you’ll think I’m a monster by the time I finish my story, but please, don’t tell anyone. I know I am a monster, yet I can’t stop.” Gerard nodded.

“I promise. I lo-care too much about you to betray you.”

“I kill.” Frank said blatantly. Gerard’s eyes grew, and his first reaction was to take some distance from Frank.
“Please, Gerard. Please don’t be scared.” Frank pleads, sounding lost and helpless again. “Please don’t. Let me tell you my story.”

Gerard slightly nods.
“Alright. So…” Frank started again, remaining his cold-heartedness. “I-I kill people, torture them. You probably read it in the newspaper, about all those girls disappearing. I did that. People don’t get what’s going on, ‘cause they don’t know what’s similar about these girls.
The total is now … 15 girls, I think. I did that all. And I feel so guilty about it, afterwards, but I can’t stop. And it’s just, becoming unbearable. I needed to tell someone. Share the secret, I guess. Come out to someone about it.” He fell silent.

“W-why?” Gerard’s voice cracks. He’s blown away by this, because his best friend is – well, used to be is probably more accurate – anti-violence. He wouldn’t even hurt a spider or anything. He’s vegetarian because he doesn’t want the animals to suffer and die. Now he’s the one who tortures?

Truth hurts.
And it sure is taking its time to seep into Gerard’s head.

“’C-cause…” Frank starts, but his phone starts ringing. He sighs, “Excuse me, give me a second.”
“Hello?” He says, as he masks his weak voice with painted happiness. “Oh, hey, baby. What’s wrong?” He pauses, as a female voice answers. “Eh, sure. I’m still free, so I guess we can,”, followed by another silence from Frank and babbling from the other side of the line. Frank slightly rolls his eyes. “Okay, I’ll pick you up at like, 7 or something. Bye!” He says, as he hangs up.

“You got a girlfriend I don’t know of?” Gerard asks curiously, and just to say something, as the mood had changed from heavy to awkward during the phone call.

“Nah, ” Frank shrugs. “I don’t even like her as a friend. But she wants me. And now we’ll be going out on Saturday, and I’ll get loaded again, just so that I can’t think straight anymore and don’t care about her company. She’ll make her move on me. I’ll be too drunk to refuse, she’ll tell me she loves me so much, and then we’ll end up in an alley. She dies. I pass out in some other alley not too far away from it. End of story. It always goes that way.” He rambles, as if it’s the most ordinary thing. Gerard blinks, trying to suck in the information and accept it to a certain extent.

“B-but… But – why you? You’re the most loving person I know,” Gerard manages to bring out.

“Not everything is the way it seems. At least I’m not. You don’t know me completely, honestly. You don't know how they drive me insane.”