Status: Up and Running :D

For The Love of The Game

Dos

“Damnit! What is with all the slide tackling today on the pitch! It’s football Liverpool! Where is the skill?! Pendejos!” (Idiots!) I yelled towards the two teams as I stood on the sidelines. My little name calling caught the attention of a familiar face on the pitch, but I just couldn’t place where I knew him from; Fernando Torres, the name was so familiar, Spaniard, I know that for sure, but I know him from somewhere else as well. For the rest of the match I followed him with my gaze around the pitch, catching his stare a few times as well. I felt like I knew him well, but for the life of me I didn’t know how. I was knocked out of my daze with the ref’s final whistle signaling the end of the game. I watched as Fernando slowly made his way towards me from across the pitch, being stopped to shake hands twice, but never dropping his stare from me. I looked on as well until I was pulled aside by Cristiano who was mumbling something to himself in Portuguese. I caught the words “Torres” and “Pretty boy” in his words. I watched as Fernando quickened his pace, but came to a complete halt from security by the end of the Man U tunnel.

“Karmen! Can you stop staring at him for one second?” Ronaldo stood in front of me, shaking me, trying to get me to look at him.

“I know him, but I don’t know how.” I finally looked up at Ronaldo only to earn a sigh.

“He does play for La Seleccion, he’s a very good player.” I swatted what Cristiano was saying away with my hand as if it were a fly.

“No, no, I mean, I know him, like friends, but I’m not sure how. I thought maybe because of Sergio, but I can’t remember Sergio ever mentioning him. And why did you call him a pretty boy? You’re a pretty boy too!” He rolled his eyes at my comment.

“Girls are always after him, I didn’t want you to fall under his spell and forget all about me.” I wrapped my arms around his waist as he bent down for a kiss.

“Aww, I would never!”

“Good, because you’ll be taking care of him during Euro, and I don’t want to lose you to him in that short amount of time that I’m not around.” I kissed him just to reassure him that I wasn’t going anywhere.

“Please, like Sergio will let me get to know the guys.” We chuckled as we walked back towards the dressing room. I looked behind me one last time hoping that I would see Fernando again, but I didn’t.

+++

“You sure you have everything?”

“Yes mi querido, I’ll see you between matches as much as I can. Just, please don’t let Torre-“

“I’ll be fine Cristiano! Don’t worry so much, I can fend for myself, you know that.” I kissed his lips, attempting to calm his nerves. He’d been so worried that I’d developed a ‘thing’ for Fernando since I saw him on the pitch a few days ago. A horn blared, signaling that Nani was here to go to the airport with Ronaldo. We broke apart, both annoyed at Nani’s arrival interfering with our farewell.

“I love you. I’ll text you when I land.” I nodded knowing that if I spoke, I might break into tears.

He left me in the foyer as he exited the door. I ran towards the door to see him placing his things in the trunk of the car.

“I love you! I’ll text you when I land in Madrid.” I yelled from the door. He looked up with a smile as he sent me a kiss and got in the passenger’s seat. I walked back into the house and dialed Sergio’s number without even looking at the number pad on the phone.

“Hola”

“Sergio.” I said with a trace of a sob. I heard Sergio click his tongue as he started to shush my low sobs that were escaping.

“Karmen, it’s okay, you’ll see him soon. It’s not worth crying over.”

“It’s just, this is the longest time we’ll go without seeing each other, and he’s going through something right now that he’s scared he might lose me, so he’s not too confident, and nothing is really right, right now, I’m not sur-“

“Karmen Felisa Ramos Garcia, calm down, inhale, exhale, huh, remember what mama would tell us when we’d start rambling.” I slowly inhaled and exhaled remembering how our mother would try to get us to calm down. “I’m going to change your flight right now to later this evening instead of tomorrow so you won’t be alone in that house. You’ll fly down with one of my friends who is leaving England today, just be ready by 6, I’ll have him come get you. Just don’t bug him when he gets there because he will be going a little out of his way to get you, but it’s an argument I’m willing to win to get you here safe and with someone I trust rather than alone.” I laughed through my tears, which I’m sure earned a smile from Sergio.

“Gracias Serg.”

“Denada mi hermanita.” With that I hung up the phone and decided to get my luggage downstairs so it would be easier when Sergio’s friend arrived. I didn’t even ask for his name! I quickly grabbed my phone and texted Sergio asking his friends’ name. He only replied telling me that I’d already know him…what was that supposed to mean?
♠ ♠ ♠
El numero dos! haha