Status: Updated randomly but hopefully once a week

Help! I'm Housing a Hero

Chapter 4: Visitors

The people all had their separate radios out and I could see many of them were crying. They were all sitting together and looked like a family. I guess when going through something traumatic like that people bond together.

The police officer stopped and came over to my door. I really wasn’t feeling well. The officer looked like he was about to pick me up but I stopped him. I wanted to walk on my own. I gripped the door for support and pulled myself up. My head began to swim the longer I stood but I wanted a little dignity to show when I walked in front of all the people. I stood psyching myself up for the jeers and angry protests they were going to shout at me for not going sooner. It wasn’t my fault that I ended up in this situation, but I knew it made people feel better when they got things off their chests.

When I was ready I walked slowly from the car and towards the apartment. The people became silent when they saw me. They didn’t say a word as I walked closer. I tried not to limp or show any signs of weakness but I felt if I didn’t get to a lavatory soon I might end up spilling my guts or collapsing. I tried to quicken my pace. I made it to the stairs and the police officer commanded people to move out of my way. A few scooted to make a path but silence still hung over everyone’s heads. It was like they all wanted to say something but they didn’t want to be the first. I walked up the first step and attempted to lift my leg but my vision swam. I stumbled but kept my balance. I made it up the next two but I couldn’t stabilize myself and I collapsed. Great, I was wounded in a sea of enemies. I grabbed my stomach as it clenched in pain. Why had I even thought of drinking that awful ‘cure’?
I wondered if they were going to start yelling at me and telling me I was getting what I deserved but I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder. Then I felt another go on my back. More and more hands were placed on my body, and they were gentle touches, not menacing or violent. What was going on?

“You did what none of us were willing to do.” An elderly man’s voice rang in my ear.

“I feel bad for thinking of you so poorly.” A younger female voice said. Why weren’t they angry at me? I hadn’t been able to stop it, and because of that Hero was in incredible trouble, or dead.

“You did your best to save us, Hero too.” Another voice rang out. Soon there were multiple voices talking at once. I wanted to hear what they had to say but my head was swimming and I didn’t want to hurl on anyone. I lifted myself with my hands and found others helping lift me. I was once more on my feet, completely stunned at the reaction. What had made them change? The officer was next to me in a few strides and opened the door for me. He helped me in and closed it.

“Are you all right?” he asked, though he knew already that I wasn’t.

“I think I may have done something incredibly stupid, or maybe I walked into a trap.” I groaned out and held my stomach as it began to burn and clench more. He held tightly to my arm to support me and keep me standing.

“I was poisoned by one of his ninja star weapon things, and I thought I was going to die. I noticed a cart of all his concoctions that he thought up and they all had labels. One had a cure so I was sure that I might as well try it. I figured I didn’t have anything to lose.”

“You ingested some strange liquid that you didn’t know anything about?” He asked. I nodded my head.

“We need to get you to a hospital, they can pump it out of your stomach or something.”

“No need.” I wrenched my arm from his grip and doubled over the decorative trash can Ms.
Hodgens had for show in the front lobby. It was mostly for decoration and trash never went inside. I threw up for what felt like five minutes. I didn’t know how that was possible because the only thing I had eaten in two days or so was a can of soup and a few gulps from that cursed jar labeled ‘cure.’

Ms. Hodgens appeared and threw a towel at me just as I finished. I gratefully grabbed it and wiped my face.

“My word.” She exclaimed, “What happened to you? Did you learn your lesson?”

“Ma’am, she’s quite sick. I don’t think scolding her is a very good idea at the moment.”
On the contrary, I was beginning to feel much better. In fact, my vision was back to normal and my limbs didn’t feel so heavy. I didn’t want to give myself false hope, but I felt as though I was better.

“Well when they calmed down outside I asked them what changed and they said someone phoned in on the radio that you entered a building that was going to blow up to stop those monstrous contraptions. A building that was going to blow up? Are you daft, Riel? Even I know not to go anywhere near bombs.”

“I don’ know what I was thinking.” I said, “But I didn’t want Hero’s death hanging over my head if I could do anything about it.” I dusted myself off and pressed my stomach. No more aches or upsetness was detected. Gradually I was feeling better.

“I should have known it was for some silly boy. Love like that should be reserved for fairytales.”

“For the past week I have felt like I am living a fairytale.” I took a few strides across the lobby and I felt fine.

“Are you ok, Miss Glace?” The officer asked and stood in front of me. He looked me over and walked around me once.

“I’m fine. Completely fine.”

“But you were so sick just a moment ago.” He placed his hand on my forehead. “Well, you don’t seem to have a fever.”

“I said I’m fine. All better.”

“But-“

“Maybe it was that cure stuff I drank.” I said and looked down at my hand. The cut on my finger from the poison blade was reduced to merely a bruise, “Look my wound has healed also.” I held my hand up to him.

“Remarkable!”

“Riel, If I were your mother, I would-“

“Don’t worry Ms. Hodgens, I don’t plan on doing anything that dangerous in my life again.
I’m retiring from service and returning to a normal life.”

“Well- I still disapprove of all this. I’ve been swarmed by news reporters, strangers and police officers for too many days.”

“Speaking of news, what made those people react that way outside? I was expecting jeers or even things thrown at me like tomatoes or radios. I figured I might even have to ward off a fight, but why did they react the way they did?”

The police officer looked a little embarrassed and scratched the back of his neck like he was nervous.

“I just thought they needed to know.” He said, “After I saw you run into that house I called the radio station and told them that you had gone to the house on your own accord. I also may have mentioned that you went in knowing it would be fired at or bombed any moment.”

“Oh- well. I guess I haven’t gotten rid of the press so easily, then. I guess I had hoped the Hero story would be big, but I guess I can expect a lack of privacy for the rest of my life.”

“I didn’t like them slandering a girl as young as you on the radio. I’ve got a daughter your age and if she was being broadcasted as an enemy I would have called and given them a piece of my mind.”

“I can take care of myself.” I defended, “but- thank you.”

“Sure.” He said. We were silent for a few moments. “Well, I think it would be best for you to go get some rest. If you experience any shock or feelings of terror please call the police or hospital.”

“I doubt I am going to go into shock, but thanks for the warning. Good evening, Officer, Ms. Hodgens.” I walked over to the stairs and climbed up. When I got to my room I entered and closed the door behind me. I slid down against the back of the door and pulled my legs up to my chest. I rested my head against the door and just breathed a sigh of relief. I felt like I had been on a roller coaster all day.

I sat there for a few minutes and then stood. My clothes were all torn from the flying debris after the bomb went off. I carefully removed my shirt and the ace bandage I had wrapped around my rib earlier. I glanced at my side in the mirror and was surprised that the bruising didn’t look as bad as it had earlier. Maybe the cure was working on more than the poison. I grabbed another shirt and threw my broken one in the hamper. At least now I’s have a ratty old shirt I could do housework in. When I was dressed once more I went over to my groceries that were still by the window and I stuffed the contents into the squeaky cabinets above the sink. I tried to think of more things to do but there was nothing. I wanted to keep my mind off the situation but I especially didn’t want to think of Hero. I had made it worse for him. Not only that but Madbe got away. For all I knew something big might happen again and who would be here to save us this time?

I sauntered over to the window and glanced out. The sky was still filled with dark smoke clouds that probably spanned a few miles. The group of people around the apartments had disintegrated into a few stragglers that were hugging and supporting each other. I quickly shut my curtains and stormed over to my bed. Ever since I got involved by being Hero’s ‘girlfriend’ trouble had come afterwards. I was bad luck for him, or for the city. I didn’t like staying in my room. It gave me too much time to think. I glanced at my clock to see that it was six in the evening. What was the harm in going to work just after the city survived from blowing up. At least there I could acquire news if anyone had heard of Hero. I was too worried to turn on my radio. I didn’t want to hear what they would be saying about me. I just wanted to go back to a normal life.

I pulled my hair back into a pony tail and left my room. I walked down the stairs and sure enough Ms. Hodgens came out of her room.

“Where do you think you are going?” She asked flinging her door open.

“I’m going to work.”

“I don’t think so, missy. You are not well enough to go out there.”

“I’m fine. Besides, I haven’t been to work since that evening we went to the Children’s Center opening.”

“You can’t tell me you were fine when you were that close to an explosion and possibly losing your life. Let me tell you something, I’ve lived through one war and the great depression. I’ve never lived through anything like this before and I’m scared to step out on the doorstep. Besides, you don’t just recover after being that close to a bomb. You’re going to need time to heal.”

“I’m not injured.” I said and held my arms out to show her that I was ok. There weren’t any scratches on me. “Besides, money is going to be tight enough this week. If I skip any more days I’m not going to have enough for a full payment on my room at the end of the month.”

“I told you I don’t mind you being late on a payment. Take some time for yourself to relax.“

“I can’t relax if I am alone in my room. Too many thoughts race through my head. I need to get out. I will just be across the street at the bar. If something goes wrong or I have a mental breakdown or if something else happens I will come back, but for now I would just like to work to clear my mind.”

“You should spend time with your family after something traumatic like that. You should give your mum a ring. I’m sure whatever troubles you had back home will be dissolved after this. It’s a terrible thing, but tragedies bring people together.”

“I’m going to go.” I said and walked down the stairs. Ms. Hodgens looked like she was about to tell me to stay but I kept walking so she didn’t have the chance. I didn’t think Mum would want me around the house with all those children. She probably didn’t even know anything bad was going on. That rich husband of hers probably kept her very well entertained and she didn’t need the news. Maybe they weren’t even in the same country. For all I knew he could have flown her out to live in the Swedish mountains.
When I was outside there weren’t any more people on the doorstep. They all had gone home. I walked briskly across the street and into the bar. It was teeming with people but the atmosphere wasn’t a giddy one. Instead it seemed that people were drinking their minds silly. Typical. People wanted to drown out their sorrows with liquid pleasure. I made my way around the back of the counter and Natalie stopped me.

“Riel! Oh my gosh it’s Riel!” She nearly yelled. She pulled me into a tight embrace. “What happened to you we’ve been so worried?”

“Ow.” I groaned as my rib complained from the pressure.

“Sorry.” She said and released me.

“You’re not coming into work today.” Hank exclaimed coming around the corner.

“Of course I am- I’m capable.”

“Don’t you know what they’ve been saying about you on the news? On the radio?”

“That was all cleared up, Hank. Didn’t you hear the other news casts?” Natalie defended me.

“I turned it off after they started slandering my girl.” He slung a towel over his shoulder. “The news is probably boiling hot for a story and you may suffer some insults.”

“I’ve suffered from worse.” I mumbled and pushed my way towards the back to get an apron.

“Are you mad? Did you really go into a building with a bomb?” Natalie followed me into the back.

“I couldn’t let them keep attacking the city like that. Lives were in danger.”

“Well what did you have to do with anything?”

“It all started because everyone thinks I’m Hero’s girlfriend. Then because of some other very bad events I got a little more deeply involved.”

“More involved?”

“I blew up a man and yet he is still alive, AND if that wasn’t bad enough he got away.”

“Are you sure you don’t need a sit down? Did you dream all this?”

“Natalie, we had giant robots just blow up in the city- we’ve got a hero that is probably dead and a mad scientist on the loose. I hardly think I’ve been dreaming but I have been living a nightmare.”

“Oh, sweetheart. You’re right- I’m just worried about you. After something like that I’d go sulk in my room and cry for a couple days.” She came over like she wanted to hug me again. She gently wrapped her arms around me this time and stroked my hair. “Don’t you work to hard tonight. If you want to go you just run. I’m afraid we won’t be hosting any happy faces for a while.”

“Thanks, Natalie.” I said and pulled an apron over my head. I tied the strings in the back and walked out into the bar. The news was blasting on all of the televisions. They showed close up shots of the smoke from the most massive of the explosions. The news caster was talking about sending a search party out looking for Hero. Every once in a while I caught the sound of my name announced in one of the news reels but I ignored them. I focused all my energy on serving the bar. Many of them were too drunk to recognize me. Others asked insane questions that I ignored or brushed away by presenting the asker of the question with another drink.

Hours passed by and the news was still the same. Riel Glace the odd girl that Hero chose as his girlfriend saved the city and Hero was still missing. Some new casts begged the question: Riel Glace Savior or menace? Every bit of information they could make up or create facts from was broadcasted.

I started wiping up one of the multiple spills from the bar when one of the men grabbed my hand in his.

“What did you do to save the world? Bed with the guy?” I could smell the thick stale smell of alcohol on his breath and his eyes didn’t quite focus but that didn’t stop me from reeling my hand back and punching him hard in the nose. I would have scrambled over the counter to deliver another couple of punches to his face if Derreck hadn’t stopped me. He grabbed me around the stomach and pulled me back as I was clawing to get over the bar.

“Riel!” he shook me to snap me out of it. I calmed down but my blood was still boiling. I usually never lost my cool. I was used to comments like that all the time so I didn’t know what was so different now. Maybe I WAS on edge.

“What’s happening here?” Hank rushed over to check out the situation. The man was rolling on the ground holding his bleeding nose. “Riel?” Hank looked up at me for an explanation.

“It wasn’t her fault, Hank.” Natalie defended me, “He was being inappropriate.”
Derreck continued to hold tightly around my stomach, probably thinking I might want to keep fighting. Hank sighed and ran his hand through his hair. He hauled the guy to his feet and handed him a wad of napkins from the counter.

“That maid’s got one hell of a right hook.” He started chuckling. “I like them feisty.” A few of the men around the bar showed their agreement by laughing and clapping him on the back.

“Riel.” Hank came around the counter and crossed his arms. “I think you should take the rest of the night off.”

“But Hank, I-“

“You’ve had a big day, we all have. Just take some time off. We’re all a bit on edge.”

“I can still work I just-“

“Riel.” He said my name like it was final. “Go get some rest.” I guess it couldn’t be helped. I sighed and walked to the back with as much dignity as I could muster. I took off my apron and hung it on the wall.

“Don’t worry, darlin’ we’re all just a little concerned for you.” Natalie mumbled.

“I’m fine. Why can’t anyone see that I am completely fine? The news broadcasts that I’m not so the whole world agrees with them.”

“Riel, you punched someone in the face.”

I clenched my fists at my side.

“Now mind you I was just about to clobber him for asking you something like that, especially in your condition. I didn’t even know you could punch.”

“My ‘condition,’ huh?” I said. I got the message loud and clear. I couldn’t convince them.

“Oh, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I’ll see you later, Natalie. Maybe I do need some time off.” I didn’t mean what I said but any other words I would have said would have been from anger and frustration. I walked out of the backroom and out the front door. I wasn’t going to make a scene. I figured I had enough attention to last me a life time. The bar door shut behind me and I started back across the street. I looked towards my apartment and stopped dead. There in front of the house was a very expensive looking car. It was shiny in the broken streetlights and looked very much out of place. What was it here for? Whatever it was it couldn’t be good. I didn’t know whether I should keep going towards it or just go back in the bar for safety. What if they were from the government or some other organization that was going to ruin my life with bombs?
I decided to head back into the bar. I just had the door open when I heard my name.

“Riel! Oh thank goodness it is you!” I turned around recognizing the voice instantly. My Mum threw open the car door and ran across the street towards me. She flung her arms over my shoulders and looked like she was about to break into sobs.

“Mum?! What are you doing here?”

“You don’t need to turn to alcohol to get rid of your problems, Riel. Come home with me.”

“Alcohol? What?!”

“Don’t go into an old bar- you aren’t old enough anyway. Oh no- you don’t have one of those fake I.D.s do you? I should have come for you sooner.”

“Mum- hold on- I work here, I don’t drink and I don’t have fake I.D.s.”

“You work in a bar?! Couldn’t you have chosen some place nicer? Maybe a bookstore? Oh never mind that. Come with us.”

“Us?”

“Your step father and I. You know Frank.”

“I think not.” I said and brushed past her walking to my apartment. “In case you don’t remember he was one of the reasons I left home.”

“But he isn’t so bad once you get to know him. He’s a doctor.”

I continued walking.

“Stop, sweetheart, you’re in danger you’ve got to come home with us.” Mum sounded desperate.

“I don’t even know where your home is. And why are you here? How did you find me?”

“Home is outside the city in the mansions, well, it is for four more days.”

“What happens in four days?”

“Frank and I, as well as you, are flying out to the States. It is safer there. Frank has connections. Anyway, we heard about you on the radio. Your name is broadcasted everywhere along with that Hero boy. You went into a house with a bomb? What has gotten into you?”

“Mum- if I hadn’t- the city would have- you know what? Never mind. I can’t explain it you wouldn’t understand.”

“Well whether I understand or not, I really want you to come with us. I heard you were injured, Frank can help you.”

“I am fine. Thanks for worrying but I don’t want to come. I will be safe enough here.” I wrenched open the front door and was greeted by two people on the other side. One was a tall man dressed in a suit and the other was Ms. Hodgens.

“And here she is- Riel, do you know this man?” Ms. Hodges asked.

“Unfortunately.” I mumbled and tried to get past him.

“Wait a moment, Riel- your mother is here too. She wants you to come home.”

“I know. But I am not interested.”

“Riel, I insist. You’ve been through so much recently that you need some parents around.”
Ms. Hodgens folded her arms across her chest.

“What? No this is my home.”

“Riel, I know you might not know me very well,” the man in the suit said, “But your mother is very worried about you, and whatever worries your mother worries me. Please come with us. We are about to head over to the states. You will be safer there.”

“No thank you.” I pushed back but he grabbed my upper arm.

“Come with us.”

“Let go of me.” I demanded.

“Riel, go with them. They are your parents. They know what is best for you right now. You need someone you can rely on.” Ms. Hodgens started moving us towards the door.
Unwillingly I found myself dragged backwards and outside. Ms. Hodgens started closing the door behind them.

“What about my stuff?” I groaned and tried to get free once more.

“We have stuff for you at the house, darling.” Mum said.

“You can’t do this!” I tried to pull harder but he had my bad arm and I couldn’t do much.”

“You can come back when it is safe and get it.” Ms. Hodgens said, “You two take care of her.”

“Thank you Ms. Hodgens.” Mum said. Before I knew it I was stuffed into the car. Mum sat next to me and Frank got in the front seat and drove off.

“You guys are impossible. It is like you are kidnapping me. I’ve had just about enough of kidnapping.”

“We’re protecting you.” Mum said and I could see that tears started brimming in her eyes. She truly felt that what she was doing was ok. I crossed my arms. What could I do? “I know you aren’t happy with us, darling, but I don’t want you to get hurt. Those reports on the news have been breaking my heart ever since I heard your name. And now you’re running off with riff-raff boys.”

“You’re one to talk.” I mumbled under my breath. Instantly I regretted it. She looked quite hurt. “I’m sorry, Mum. I just- I’m so angry that no one will leave me alone. I would have been fine in my own house.”

“But you are too precious to me. I can’t just let you be unprotected out here.”

“Mom-“

“Please just come I know you will get used to it.”

“Where are my sisters?”

“In boarding school- why?”

“That’s it, stop the car and let me out.” I jerked on the door and opened it. The car lights came on and I reached over to unhook my seatbelt.”

“No!” Mum screeched. “We’re still moving.”

“They wanted to go.” Frank said form the front. Mum reached over and slammed my door shut.

“Did they have a choice between surviving a shark pit or going to boarding school?”

“Riel, hold your tongue. I know you’re upset but that is no way to talk to your father.”

“That man is not my father! That man could never live up to who my father was.”

“You’re right I’m sorry- but he is here to help you. We both are. You just need to relax. We aren’t trying to hurt you, I just want you safe.”

“How am I going to be more safe in a mansion than a secluded unknown apartment?”

“We have locks on our doors?” Mum tried.

“Oh my gosh! I can’t believe this. I have locks on my doors.”

“Riel- please. I love you and I have missed you for far too long. Now that I have seen you again and I can hold you in my arms… Please come back. Live with us. It will be different than last time.”

I groaned angrily and looked away from Mum. I couldn’t do anything about it now, but I was sure that I didn’t want to live wherever her new husband lived. It wasn’t natural having someone else take Dad’s place.

“That’s a good girl, I know you’ll get used to it.” Mum mistook my silent aggravation for a surrender. It was no use trying to convince her otherwise.
It took an hour to get to the mansion and Mum talked the whole way about how we could catch up and also how sorry she was for how she acted in the past. She said that she didn’t have dad around to help keep her under control anymore. I had trouble buying that, but if it was the excuse she was going to give then I would accept it for the time being.

As we drove up towards the gated mansion I had a chance to see that there was a pleasant looking medical sign out front. Apparently, much like Madbe, this man also brought his work home.

“The lower level of the house works as my office. I bring special cases here for personal and immediate care.” Frank explained, “Otherwise I run Jone’s Hospital.”
“It’s that big one that I used to take you to when you were younger. Imagine I’d be marrying the man who owned it one day.” Mum sighed as she reveled in her luck.

“Why would you want to bring sick people to your house? Aren’t you afraid of contamination?” I asked.

“Not everyone we bring into the house is contagious.” Frank explained, “Some of them have unique dispositions that we take special care of. We do, of course bring in some contagious patients, but the area is always sterilized.”

“Do you even have all the equipment a hospital can provide?”

“Of course.” He answered as though I had asked a stupid question.

“He even has an x-ray machine installed. He got it just before we were married.”

“That I did.” He grinned.

“That means he can check out that broken bone of yours. He could prescribe some pain
killers for you too.”

“No thank you.” I said.

“Well you don’t have to take the pain killers.” Mum said.

“No, I meant no thank you to everything. I don’t need an x-ray. I know what’s wrong with me.”

“Come, come now.” Mum tried to reason with me, “You could have punctured a lung or damaged something else inside. It would be good to have a look. Frank has filled me in on all the possible problems that a broken rib can create. I hope you’ve been breathing deeply. Did you know you can catch pneumonia if you don’t breathe deep? That’s what can happen if you have a broken rib. It causes too much pain to breathe.”

“Mum- I’m breathing normally.”

She sighed in relief. Frank parked the car in a garage with other expensive looking cars around. They got out and with utmost reluctance I followed suit. I followed them up to a door that led into the office area of the house. It looked quite like a normal hall of a hospital would complete with hand sanitizers every few feet and equipment on karts around the corridor. We took an immediate left up another flight of stairs and through another door. This area of the house actually looked like a house. Plush carpeting hugged the floors as fashionable furniture served both a use for decoration and sitting.

“This is the living room. Spacey isn’t it? Let me show you around.” Mum waved her hand with a flourish as though she was introducing a person.

“No need. I’m not staying.”

“But you can’t go back to that rubbish flat after seeing this.”

“Not everyone wants to live like this.” I said.

“Let me at least show you to your room.” She took me by the hand and led me to yet another flight of stairs. These ones were carpeted and the walls were lined with fantastic artwork that stretched from floor to ceiling. When we got to the top she led me down what seemed to be a never ending hallway with even more tasteful decorations, or what I assumed was tasteful. I wasn’t in to that sort of thing but I assumed that’s what it was. Mum pointed out different things and narrated the whole walking-down-the-hall experience but I wasn’t paying attention. I was memorizing where she was taking me so I could make my escape. Eventually, we came upon a room at the end of the hall. She opened it and motioned for me to go inside first.

The room was huge, much bigger than even our old house. Two of the three walls were made completely out of glass and they all had flowing gossamer curtains covering them. I could see tree branches and leaves outside the glass. There was a large bed in the center of the room that looked like it could easily fit eight people across. There were empty shelves around and a built in closet.

“Well what do you think?” Mum asked, ”Roomy enough for you?”

“Did my sisters get rooms too?”

“Well- they have rooms.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“They just haven’t been to the house yet.”

“They haven’t been to the house yet? It’s been months since you got married! What kind of mother are you?”

“They are safer in their boarding schools. Frank has gotten them into the finest schools out there with the best protection.”

“I am having trouble believing this. Did he brainwash you? What is it with you and this ‘protective’ thing? Is there something else I should know about?”

“I just want my girls to be safe in case something happens. Isn’t that what a mother should do? Obviously they’ve found you out and that’s why I’ve got to keep you here. That is until we get to the States. I’m just so glad I’ve gotten you to come back.”

“You haven’t gotten me to come back. You’ve forced me against my will. I’m warning you now, I am going to leave.”

“Please don’t say that. It is dangerous out there especially for you.”

“Especially for me?”

“Oh never mind.” She said and hugged me tightly.

“Ow.” I pushed her away, even though it didn’t hurt my rib.

“Sorry.” She apologized, “please just try to understand. I don’t want anyone else kidnapping my daughter.” She looked like she was going to break down and cry. Either there was something she wasn’t telling me, or she was seriously worried about me, but Mum never cried over me when I was at the house. I didn’t have time to figure out what it was.

“Now, Frank said he can x-ray you tonight. Shall I take you back down to his lab?”

“No.”

“Sweetheart, just get it over with. Do it for me. I want to know that you are ok and nothing else is damaged.”

“You’re not going to leave me alone until I do are you?”

“I’m sorry.” She said and looked like she was going to hug me again but realized it would cause me pain, “it is just a quick little picture and then you are done. Simple. It probably won’t take five minutes.”

I didn’t agree but yet again I was being dragged down the enormous hallway and down the stairs. Once again I found myself in a doctor’s office that looked like a lab. Frank appeared in his lab coat and came over to greet us.

“Let’s get this over with, shall we?” He asked genuinely and smiled, “I know you don’t want this to last longer than it has to. “ He pretended like he was whispering a secret to me that we both knew. He placed a hand on my shoulder and guided me away from Mum.

“You can go on to bed, love. You’ve had a long day.” Frank motioned for Mum to leave. She went over and quickly pecked him on the lips.

“Alright. Good night. I will see you in the morning.” Mum said and pat me lovingly on the head. Frank guided me down the hall and we eventually came to a room with a large x-ray machine inside.

“Just lie on the table there.” He said and motioned with his hand towards the white structure in the middle of the room. I climbed on it wanting to get this over with.

“I’m just going to put some lead padding over you.” He brought out what looked like a thick silver blanket. He covered me with it to just over my navel. He placed another similar blanket over my head and shoulders. “Just a couple pictures- hold still.” He pulled what looked like a camera lens down towards my torso. Once he was satisfied he left the room and shut the door with a click. He walked over to a window and started pressing buttons. After a few moments he came back into the room. He removed the leaded blankets and folded them up.

“See? That wasn’t so bad. You’re free to go to your room. I’ll have these printed up for you tomorrow.”

“I already knew I had a broken bone. Why would I need you to confirm it.” I pushed the door open and stormed out of the room. There was something not quite right with him that I didn’t like. I had this feeling of unease when I was around him. None the less I made a bee line towards the room and shut the door behind me. I didn’t want to stay here, but I figured I could make an escape tomorrow. I climbed onto the bed and closed my eyes. It seemed like my life was spinning more and more out of my control. I had taken my aloneness for granted. As I contemplated my situation I began to drift off to sleep. I didn’t have any dreams.
I awoke to a knock at my door. For a moment I forgot why I was in such a large fancy room. I threw the blankets off and went over to the door. I was still in my clothes from yesterday which had become quite wrinkled. I opened the door with a lazy swoosh and was welcomed by a man dressed in a suit.

“Good morning, Mistress.” He said with a thick Northern English accent.

“I don’t like butlers.” I said and started to close the door. If he was anything like the last butler I met I didn’t want to have anything to do with him.

“Begging your pardon, but breakfast is served.” He bowed slightly and walked away. I slapped my head as I closed the door once more. What was happening to me? I was letting all of these recent attacks get to me and I was becoming a rude old curmudgeon. I opened the door and shouted ‘Sorry.” Down the hall but he was gone. My stomach rumbled but I wasn’t hungry, or at least I didn’t feel like eating at the moment. They were supposed to leave for the states tomorrow so I needed to leave before then. If I timed it right they might be heading for their flight. Then I would be gone and they would be too far away to come collect me.

My door swung open once more and Mum came scurrying into the room. Her hair was in disarray and she still had her bed clothes on.

“I’m glad you’re still here.” She said and came over with her arms open to hug me, “I thought you might try and escape. I was up all night thinking about you.” She hugged me and this time I didn’t push away. In fact, I didn’t feel much of any pain at all. My rib only felt like the pain of a bruise. “Let’s go down to breakfast. Oh, and you can check that closet over there for some clothes. I’m sure they will fit you. You left some of the clothes at the old house and I just went by those sizes when I picked these out for you.”

“You went clothes shopping for me?” I asked warily stepping over towards the closet. I wasn’t exactly sure what kind of fashion sense my mother had. I wasn’t exactly into the whole fashion thing but I had a little sense in what was needed to wear to not stick out in the crowd.

“Well I had always hoped you would come back- or I could get you to come back. I wanted to at least have some clothes ready for you.”

I opened the door and was surprised at the rows upon rows of shirts in many different styles and lengths. There were rainbows of colours and materials. There were also leggings, trousers and jeans of all kinds folded neatly on little shelves below the clothes. I was sure some of the girls in my class would start drooling just to see this amount of clothing.

“I hope there’s something in there you like.” She pressed as though wanting a response.

“This is very kind of you mum, but-“

“Don’t say another word. I want you to have all the comforts of home now that you’re here. Plus I knew that if I ever found you danger might be near and we wouldn’t be able to do any
quick shopping.”

“Danger? What kind of danger? Is there something you’re not telling me? Was I implanted with a danger chip when I was little that makes me attract bad things?”
Mum’s hand went to her heart and she sat down on the bed.

“Mum, what’s wrong- are you alright?” I went over and placed my hand on her forehead. Her temperature felt normal enough.

“Oh I think I’ve said too much.” She said and went to stand.

“Mum- what are you talking about? Was I really implanted with something?”

“No, no-don’t be silly. It’s not that- it’s just your father.” Her eyes became quite sad. She smiled a little too brilliantly and headed for the door.

“Wait, what is wrong? There is something you’re not telling me.”

“Just come to breakfast, dear. They always make something lovely.”

“I don’t understand. I push away as soon as I get here, and frankly I can’t wait to leave, but as soon as I want to know information and actually talk you want to walk away? I am a bit confused. What aren’t you telling me?”

She paused with her hand on the door knob. There was silence for a while and I thought she might leave but instead she turned and stared long and hard at me. I became a bit uneasy under her gaze but it seemed as though she was looking through me and not at me. It was like she was remembering something.

“You always were the brilliant one,” She took a few steps towards me and placed a hand on my cheek. She sat down on the bed and twiddled her thumbs before glancing up at me once more. “Your father was not what he seemed to be.”

“Please don’t tell me he was a mad scientist too?”

“No- he was greater than a scientist. He was the kindest, most patient, kind hearted man I ever knew. He gave his life to save you.”

“Save me? You said we were home watching television when the news of a robotic attack struck. Then you said dad ran out of the house to check it out and then- well, he never came back.”

“Some of that may have been a lie.” She looked away from me so as not to see my reaction. My heart stopped and felt like it was lodged in my throat.

“What do you mean by some of it? Pease tell me Dad didn’t walk out on us.”

“I mean- we were there. He didn’t walk out on us. He tried to keep us safe. Something happened and one thing led to another. It all happened so fast and then in an instant he was gone.”

“Gone?”

“Anyway, I think it is time you know about him- Who he really was.”

“Great, was he a secret agent?”

“No.”

“Did he work for the government?”

“Not exactly.”

“Well I can’t think of anything else that would be so terrifying that you had to keep it from me until now.”

Just then the door flung open. Frank burst in with an upsetting flourish and came over to us.

“Riel, there was something odd with your x-ray. I think I’m going to have to take your images again.”

“What do you mean odd?” Mum asked an stood. He looked over at her as though he just realized she was there.

“Oh good morning, my love.” He said and kissed her quickly on the cheek. “I am in a bit of a hurry if you don’t mind. Please come with me, Riel.”

“But she hasn’t even eaten any breakfast yet.”

“That’s good, sometimes stomachs can become upset by the radiation. You will be more than welcome to eat as much breakfast as you want afterwards, but for now it would be good to get these scans done now.”

“What is the hurry?” I asked, “Maybe I don’t want to be photographed again.”

“I think there might-be-well something wrong with the bone.” He spat the sentence out rather quickly as though he was making it up on the spot. I didn’t doubt that he was.

“Maybe you should have it looked at again, sweetheart.” Mum squeezed my hand in hers. Was her fear for me deafening her to his lies?

“Come on.” He said and placed a hand on my back and started guiding me towards the door. “It was quick last night it will be just as quick, possibly.” He said.

“I’ll wait for you at breakfast then.” Mum stood.

Reluctantly I followed Frank down the hallway and back down to his hospital level of the house. Instead of leading me directly to the x-ray room he led me to a room that reminded me of checkups.

“What are we doing in here?” I asked.

“Sit up there on the table.” He commanded me and went over to one of the may drawers. I saw him pull out a silver plastic package as well as some cotton balls and band-aids. He opened a cabinet above the counter with the drawers and extracted a tiny bottle of clear liquid.

“You’re not injecting me with anything.” I said when I started to put two and two together and realize what he was setting up.

“I don’t want to use the lead coverings on you in there, so instead I am going to give you an injection that will counteract the radiation instead.” He snapped on two rubber gloves and opened the silver package revealing a clean syringe. At least I would be properly injected this time.

“I’ve never heard of anything like that protecting from radiation.” I crossed my arms over my chest as he began filling the syringe with the liquid from the bottle.”

“There are plenty of things out there medically that I am sure you’ve never heard about. Now let’s see, only about a fourth of a dose is good, but I might as well give the entire bottle just to make sure.” He said most of the last bit under his breath so I didn’t quite catch it.

“I know you were lying through your teeth in my bedroom. I don’t know what you’re on about, but I am going to figure it out one way or another.”

He came over to me with a doctor like smile while confronting an unruly patient. How professional of him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Riel. I only want what’s best for you just like your mother.”

“I can physically feel lies. Yours are predominantly strong at chafing my nerves.” For some reason I was having trouble understanding his motives, other than he was looking for an excuse to get rid of me like he did to my half sisters. “That better not be some sort of lethal injection. I’m particularly good at being immune to odd liquids.”

He just smiled at me as he raised my sleeve a bit and applied an alcohol saturated cotton ball across my arm. He then administered the injection and threw the syringe away.

“All done.” He smiled genuinely like a pediatrician would to a young child, “I’ll come back in a few minutes after it has had time to circulate around.” He walked out the door before I could say anything else. I sat on the table and swung my legs back and forth in boredom. I wondered if I was going to feel the effects of whatever he gave me or if it was like any other vaccination I had received, apart from the odd ones in the science lab. I went over to the counter and opened up a band-aid and applied it to my own wound. He could have at least had the courtesy to do that for me.

While I waited I opened his cabinets and looked at all the little bottles he had in there. They all looked pretty much the same to me. A few were different colours but anything else was indistinguishable. I opened the drawers and looked inside. There were plenty of the silver packages of needles as well as rubber gloves long bits of wood with cotton at the end and I was surprised to see a package of stickers. I would gag if he offered me one for ‘being such a good girl.’ My head began to feel slightly fuzzy but I didn’t think much of it. I usually got woozy after injections anyway. I was just closing one of the drawers when he came back in.

“Oh-you’re- you’re not lying down?” He looked surprised.

“I wasn’t instructed to.” I slammed the drawer shut, “Can we get this over with?”

“Well- yes but. You know, I may not have given you enough of a dose. I think one more vaccination will do the trick.”

“Another vaccination? And then another fifteen minutes of waiting? Aren’t you a doctor? Shouldn’t you have had the dose right the first time. How can you tell anyway?”

“Well, it is a full body x-ray I do want you to be protected.” He rummaged through the drawer and pulled out yet another silver package and another little bottle. He quickly swabbed the alcohol over my other arm and stuck the needle in before I could refuse.”

“Alright, fifteen more minutes. Just lie down and wait for me to come back.” He walked out of the room again. I was boiling mad. I didn’t want to take orders from him. I didn’t care what radiation protection he injected me with I was going home! I peeked out the door and noticed there were some other nurses or doctors in the corridor. I hadn’t seen them at night, but apparently this did seem to be a working hospital none the less.
Inconspicuously I walked from the room and around the corner. I tried to remember the turns he had taken to bring me here but I couldn’t think clearly. I turned corner after corner and then I became a bit stumbley. It seemed my feet were delayed in their reception from commands form the brain. I held on to the wall to stabilize myself as I tried to figure my way out of the maze. I began wondering who he thought he was. He just waltzes into my room, drags me to his lab and wants to x-ray me. That was it! I was another test subject. If what he said in the room was true about the amount of the dose I needed was only half of one bottle, he had just pumped me with a whole other bottle and a half. He was trying to kill me! I stumbled more and fell to my knees. My vision was going blurry and black. I shook my head to clear it and stood once more. I needed to get out! Maybe I could call Andrew and he could come help me. I had his number in my pocket still!

I walked as quickly as I could to find a door. Any exit out of here was my only chance. At the end of the hall I saw a recognizable glow of an exit sign. I could make it there! I kept my eye on the sign and accidentally crashed into one of the trolleys in the center of the hallway. It knocked over with a loud crashing of clangs and spills. My vision was getting worse but the door was getting closer. I nearly fell over my feet twice as I attempted to run. I tripped but caught myself on the door handle. I pushed on it with all my might.

“Well there she is.” I heard Frank’s voice behind me. “Bring the other one.” He commanded to someone.

“You’ve given her two already- this could kill her.”

“Give it to me!”

I felt Frank wrap his arms around my stomach and pull me backwards from my freedom. I pushed him away from me but it cost me my balance and I fell backwards.

“She’s still fighting.” The person with him sounded astonished.
I felt another prick in my arm. Frank had yet another syringe of the liquid ready to go.

“You’re trying to kill me.” I hoarsely croaked out. "hese injections aren't going to protect me from radiation. They are to knock me out!"

"Your mum was right- you are a smart one." He sneered. I tried to kick him away but my legs didn’t want to cooperate. I had never been drunk before but I was quite sure this is how feeling overly intoxicated felt. He hauled me to my feet and as hard as I tried to stop him he pulled me down the hall. When I lost the ability to move he shoved me into his assistant’s arms.

“Carry her. We won’t have much time until this wears off.”

“But- with that amount she’ll be out for a week.”

“She isn’t even out yet and it’s wearing off.” He groaned. The assistant picked me up uncomfortably. I was used to being held by Hero, this guy seemed to be a toothpick with the inability to hold a spoon much less me. I pushed against his chest to get away but it was no use. My strength was gone. Soon we were back in the x-ray room and I was painfully dropped onto the table. I noticed that a clock in their observing room window said 12:13. My vision went black and I couldn’t think anymore.

I was in complete darkness for quite a while. It was like I was very close to consciousness but there was a thin veil not allowing me through. I wasn’t able to think or communicate but I did try to get myself free. My head began to hurt and the harder I tried to break out of the darkness the more the pain came. I began to hear muffled voices and my body began to itch. It was an intense itching like every cell was aggravated. Suddenly I awoke with such force that my head felt like an earthquake was ravaging it and my itching felt more like burning.

“I don’t understand, doctor, I clearly saw a fracture on her bone from yesterday’s x-ray. It has completely vanished today.”

“I told you to stop worrying about that. There is something else here that I am missing.”

“But you’ve exposed her so much, sir. The radiation-”

I sat up and held my head.

“She’s up, sir! How is that possible?” A woman’s voice joined them. I glanced at them in their little observation box. The clock above their heads read 2:30. That couldn’t be right. That meant I was in here for over two hours.

“Let me out of here.” I demanded and slid off the table. Almost all the signs of being groggy was gone and I only felt my headache and burning itching.

“Get back on the table we aren’t done with you yet.” Frank demanded. I walked over to the door and tried to get it open but it was bolted shut.

“You’ve had me in here for two hours. This radiation is going to kill me!”

“Radiation won’t bother you.” He said.

“Ever heard of cancer?!” I pulled on the handle with all my might.

“Radiation is the least of your worries, darling. You’ve got something more-“

“What is that?” The female asked and pointed to a place on what looked like a television screen. Frank just laughed like someone who just won the lottery.

“Doctor, are you alright?”

“I can’t believe this! It is true!” Frank continued to stare at the screen, “Oh this is brilliant!”

“I don’t understand what we are looking at, doctor.”

“That, my diminutive colleagues, is-“

Just then there was a knock on the door.

“Frank, have you seen Riel?” Mum’s voice rang out. She would be my escape! She would see how terrible a man her Frank was!

“Mum! Mum it’s me, in here!” I called out. Frank hit did something and a screen fell closing off the view.

“I sent her upstairs hours ago. Did she not come to breakfast?”

“No- and then I waited for her in her room. DO you think she might have run off? Oh no! She could be hurt! She isn’t safe out there.”

“It’s ok, sweetheart. I’ve got all the staff on lookout for her. I’m sure if someone saw her they have her safely in the house somewhere.”

“I guess you’re right- but I still worry about her. Please let me know if you find anything.”

“MUM! I’M IN HERE!” I yelled an banged on the door.

“What’s that?” Mum asked.

“Just a patient, miss. He doesn’t like being in the dark.” The female informed.

“We’ve been trying to get an x-ray for weeks. I figured since we were leaving now would be the best time to get one. Now, why don’t you go upstairs and have a cup of tea. I’m sure your daughter will turn up.”

“I guess you’re right.” I heard the devastating sound of the door closing behind Mum as she left. After a few moments the screen reopened.

“I know why your mother is so protective of you now.” He chuckled slyly.

“I still don’t understand, Doctor.” The male said.

“This isn’t for you to understand.”

“LET.ME. OUT.” I shouted.

“We’re not quite finished figuring you out yet.”

“I’m a female! With a normal bone structure! What more could you possibly have to decipher? Did you not go to school- wait let me answer that- obviously not! You haven’t learned that radiation has serious side effects.”

“She’s a fighter.” The boy mused and looked as though he was enjoying himself. Fine. I they weren’t going to let me out, I was going to have to find a way to make them want to come in. I glanced at the huge x-ray machine. It looked expensive but with its wires still hanging out it looked destructible. I leapt up on the table again and reached my hands up towards the back of the device. I made contact with one wire and with a swift jerk I pulled it out. Sparks flew but I reached for another.

“Oi! What is she doing?” The boy asked.

“Stop that Riel.” Frank demanded fiercely.

“Come and make me!” I taunted and pulled out another handful of sparking wires. I yanked down on the arm and after a few attempts it broke and fell to the table. I stomped on it with my foot and grabbed a handful of the wires. I leapt off the table pulling the wires with me. More sparks flew as they peeled from the ceiling. The three of them were no longer in the observation box and I soon heard them at the door.

“But all that radiation is still in there sir.” The girl said.

“Move.” Frank yelled and I heard him jerk on the door. I ran over to the doorway. They couldn’t see me if they weren’t in the observation box and it was quite dark in the room. I could slip past them and they wouldn’t know. Sure enough the door wrenched open. I hid behind it as they all fell in.

“Look what she’s done!” The girl cried, “We waited a year to get this installed.”
I crept around the door and ran out, making sure to shut it behind me. Maybe someone would find them eventually. I sprinted down the hall and headed for the first emergency exit I could find. I burst through it without being detected and just kept on running. I made it out of the courtyard and the front gate before sirens sounding much like a house alarm went off. The driveway to the road was long but I didn’t stop running. I was still trying to figure out what just happened, but right now I needed to concentrate on getting as far away as I could. I’d have to hide out until tomorrow when they were gone. I now had more questions than I ever had in my life but I realized I had lived this long without knowing the answers and I wasn’t desperate enough to go find out.

When I was across the street and back into what looked like the city I dove into an alleyway and took a break. It wasn’t long before two police cars went zooming past headed straight for the doctor’s mansion. When I caught my breath I took off once more at high speed. It took an hour to drive here from my house so I knew I was a long way from home. I’d have to either find some cab fare or get prepared to walk the long journey home. For now I decided to run. I noticed there were plenty of windows with black ribbons or sheets hanging out. There were also loads of people wearing black.

When it became dark and the blisters on my feet caused too much pain to run anymore I walked into a shabby looking inn. The girl at the desk greeted me and stood as I walked over.

“Good evening ma’am how can I help you?”

“I don’t have money on me at the moment, but I’m willing to work for a room.”

“Hey, you’re that girl on the television aren’t you?” She asked and turned her television screen over so I could see it, “They said you saved the world- with a bomb.”
I put my palm on my face and sighed. How much more messed up can the media get. Before I could comment the scene changed to a scene of black ribbons and people wearing black.

“What is all the black for?” I asked and pointed to the screen.

“Don’t you know? Weren’t you his girlfriend? Hero is dead.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, there isn’t a body and no filigree of robots anywhere. He just took them to the sky and was gone with the explosion.”

“That doesn’t mean he’s dead.”

“But it does- they’ve got scientists, airplanes, and even the army. Everyone has been out looking for him for the past two days. They are going to be holding memorial services all over the city.”

“But he’s a super hero- he can’t die! They don’t die in books.”

“This isn’t a book, miss.” She said.

I watched the little television screen in horror as scenes of the explosion and news reports skipped by. I couldn’t believe it.

“Might I ask what you are doing in these parts, ma’am? Weren’t you over in West Metrolis just the other day destroying the bomb?

“I was kidnapped.” I said, “And I fear there is going to be plenty more crime like that with Hero gone.”

“Oh that’s terrible. I can’t allow you to go outside back on those streets. You are his girlfriend, though. Of course you’ll be a target. But why didn’t you go to the police?”

“I’ve been running I haven’t had a chance to call anyone, besides. The kidnappers were my own parents. The police wouldn’t buy something like that.”

“I sure would miss. Please allow me to host you in one of the rooms tonight. It would be an honour to have you here. I think you bring good luck.”

How wrong she was. I was the furthest away from good luck as it gets. “I don’t think I can accept a free stay. If something bad happens because I am here I would feel terrible.”

“Well then no one will find out you’re here.” She grabbed a key and handed it to me.

“Thanks.” I said and I slowly headed towards my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am really sorry it took me almost a week ton update. We have had family come to vacation with us and I have been hanging out with them.

I hope to not miss another Monday update, however my wonderful fiance is coming to visit me as well next week (not to mention I have to get prepared for my violin competition) but hopefully I will be able to update on Monday anyway.