Status: Slow. Just wanted to get it started.

There's Nothing Wrong With a Little Hocus-Pocus

Megan Lynn Haddix was not normal. Sure, she looked it. She acted it at school. But after school…she was a bit different than her friends at school pictured her. The y pictured their sandy-haired friend as a studious type, who spent all her time at home studying for the big Calc test, or writing the English essay they’d been assigned. For a little bit after school she could be found flying through her assignments, then taking a catnap for as long as she was able.

And then her abnormality was brought out.

She was what you’d call a Protector. Well, maybe not what you would call a Protector, but what anyone else like her - or kind of like her - would call a Protector. She preserved the peace between worlds - sort of. They weren’t different worlds in the literal sense, just in the sense that the normal people didn’t know about the others. And so on and so forth. No one knew what the Protectors protected.

No one normal, anyway.

The Protectors - like Megan Haddix - were kind of half and half. Human and…other. Things like fairies, and pixies, and witches, wizards, dwarves, elves, goblins, vampires, werewolves, cat people, and even dragons. There were many species that were very well hidden. A Protector used his or her magic to weave a spell around those that were in their care, so that the humans would not notice them. Notice that they were different.

And even by the standards of the Protectorate, Megan was different. Her extreme abnormality had to do with what her non-human half was. And she’d never admit it, not to anyone, that it was the reason she was so strong. The only person who knew, other than herself, was the Protectorate’s Queen, Isabel. Megan would have very much liked it to stay that way.

But Queen Isabel likes mixing things up a little sometimes. And as she likes to say, There’s Nothing Wrong With a Little Hocus-Pocus.
  1. .01.
    A bit of a teaser, to see if anyone would be willing to read more.
  2. .02.
  3. .03.
  4. .04.
    SORRY IT'S BEEN SO LONG!