Status: Active; Like the new layout?; Comments, please?; This story is near the end ...

The Black Limousine

Chapter 1

Me and Beth were hanging out in my front yard, me studying in the textbook, Beth flipping through the magazine. Beth had a saying, “If it’s not happening, then don’t worry about it.” I didn’t believe that. I wanted to get everything out of the way, and aim for some free time.

That’s when I saw it. A sleek, glossy black limousine. It was just cruising down the street, studying it from what it looked like. I couldn’t help but stare, I mean, how often do you see a limousine? Especially in the suburbs!

“Ooh, look at that!”, Beth says, smirking.

“I wonder who owns it.”, I say, turning back to my textbook.

“Who cares? Whoever they are, they’re probably just lost.”, Beth says dismissively.

“You’re gonna go sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong while I lie?”, I ask absentmindedly.

“Not this time, Janey.”, Beth says, using my middle name. I wince, unused to people using my middle name. It was actually Jane, but Beth always said ‘Janey.’

“Looks like whoever they are, they’re checking us out.”, Beth says, smirking.

“Hmm?”

“Ugh, Kristina! The limousine is parked in your front yard and you’re just reading! Talk about being an idiot!”, Beth nags.

“At least I’m not brain-washing myself with magazines.”, I mutter under my breath, looking up. And sure enough, the limousine came to a complete stop in front of my house. I raise an eyebrow, as if someone could see me.

“I’m gonna say hello,” Beth announces, standing up. I shrug, collecting my stuff to sit on the porch. Beth rolls her eyes at me, heading toward the limousine. I glance at my textbook, sighing.

“Hi, I’m Beth!”, I hear Beth say, making me look up. A boy had stepped out of the limousine, smirking up at my house. I glance at it, shrugging. The house was old, sure, but it was my house.

“Ah, nice to meet you. Umm, could you please tell us where we may find the McPhee’s residents?”, the boy says, moving some of his dark brown hair, that was nearly black, out of his eyes.

“Kristina!”, Beth yells, not noticing me on the porch.

“Right here, Bethy dearest.”, I mutter under my breath. I stand up, walking down the porch steps. “I’m Kristina McPhee. Are you looking for Sarah McPhee, or Thomas McPhee?”, I ask, raising an eyebrow.

“Umm, both,” he says, smirking.

“Okay,” I say, turning around. “Right this way,” I call over my shoulder. I walk up the porch steps, hearing Beth and the mysterious boy following. I walk quickly up the steps, toward dad’s study. I knock on the doorway, soon watching as he spins around in his chair.

“Yes, Kristy?”, he asks, smiling.

“Someone’s here to see you and mom.”, I say, bored.

“Ah, go call your mother. She’s probably down at the doctor’s office.”, dad says, standing up. I nod, walking quietly down the steps, I noticed Beth watching TV, while the boy just looked uncomfortable. I quickly walk past him, straight into the kitchen to grab a phone. I dial my mom’s cell-phone number, hoping that she wasn’t busy.

“Hello?”, my mom’s always gentle voice says.

“Momma, someone’s here to see you and daddy.”, I say sweetly.

“Oh, well, I’m going to be busy, sweetie. Tell your father that I’ll be late tonight, too.”, my mom says softly.

“Okay, momma.”, I say, hanging up. My mother always found a way to make me feel like I was four again. While dad did the exact opposite, making me feel twenty-four when I’m only fourteen.

“Momma’s gonna be gone late tonight, daddy.”, I say, walking back into the living room. I stop dead in the doorway, immediately noticing the two adults and other boy that had just entered. The new boy had black hair, and eyes that I couldn’t quite catch.

“Okay, Kristy. Come and meet the Vane’s family.”, dad says, smiling at me. “They just moved in down the road. They were here to meet your mother and I.”, dad adds, smiling. I just stay by the doorway, wishing the stairs weren’t so close to where they were standing.

“I’m Anna,” a girl, just a bit older than me, says. She had midnight black hair, with a few dark brown strands in it.

“Kristina,” I say quietly.

“Speak up, Kristy.”, dad says, frowning. I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest.

“I left my books out on the porch.”, I say, walking past everyone. I grab my books, walking back in and up the steps.

“Oh, no you don’t!”, Beth says, grabbing my arm and pulling me back down. “You can be shy any other time but now.”

“Did I mention how awesome of a friend you are?”, I say sarcastically, glaring.

“Thank you!”, Beth says, smiling. I roll my eyes, sitting down on the couch.

“The best you’re getting out of me, Bethany Fay Redmon.”, I say, glaring up at her. I study the textbook, trying to memorize it.

“Please excuse my daughter.”, I hear my dad say.

“Oh, I’m excused?”, I say, smirking.

“Kristina!”, dad growls. I roll my eyes, going back to my textbook.

“What yah reading?”, the boy with black hair asks, sitting down next to me. I scoot away from him a little, taking the textbook with me.

“Algebra,” I grumble simply.

“It’s summer.”

“You sound just like Beth.”, I grumble, trying to focus.

“Algebra’s easy,” the other boy says, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, I know. I want to get ahead so I can do something fun over the school year. Freshman year’s gonna be hard enough without looking like the class geek.”, I grumble.

“Kristina Jane McPhee! Being smart does not make you a geek!”, my dad roars.

“Yeah, and you don’t make me feel twenty-four when I’m fourteen.”, I say, smirking. My dad goes bright red, and I roll my eyes, already muttering exactly what he says.

“Kristina Jane McPhee! Go to your room right now!”, dad roars. I smirk, gathering my stuff before heading toward the steps.

“Now, Thomas, she wasn’t doing much. Just being a teenage girl.”, the woman says, frowning.

“Kristina, get back down here!”, dad yells. I roll my eyes, walking toward the kitchen. “Where are you going?!”, dad yells.

“I’m thirsty,” I say, rolling my eyes. I come back out with a sprite can, watching with amusement as my dad goes red with embarrassment. “Lawyers for dads, what yah gonna do?”, I say sarcastically, shrugging.

“Fight, fight, then go to jail.”, Beth says, smirking.

“Shut up,” I mutter, reading my textbook on the couch. I could feel eyes on me, feel the heat as blood ran into my cheeks for blush, but chose to ignore it all. “I’ll be right back,” I say, walking up the steps with the textbook.

“Where are you going?”, dad asks.

“Paranoid much, are we daddy? Well, if you must know, I’m earning you money by murdering someone.”, I say sarcastically, smirking.

The corner of his lips quirked up a little, in what was once a giant smile. But then I became a teenager, and all he thinks is on my mind is: boys, boys, boys, boys, boys. I roll my eyes, walking up the steps. I grab my laptop, walking downstairs. I plop down on the couch, ignoring all the stares.

“What are you studying now?”, the boy with black hair says.

“How to get boys who don’t know the meaning of personal space to back off.”, I say sarcastically, squishing to the side of the couch. I open up my laptop, smirking.

“What?”, he asks.

“Just looking at pictures of Taylor Lautner without a shirt.”, I say, smirking.

He scrunched up his nose, scooting away.

“You’re such a horrible liar, Janey! Everyone knows you don’t care about Taylor Lautner.”, Beth says, glaring.

“That’s going on the list.”, I say, frowning.

“What list?”, Beth asks.

“The list I made to use as blackmail someday.”, I say absentmindedly.

“I hate you,” Beth says teasingly.

“Added it,” I say, smirking as I stare at the computer screen. I start nodding my head, as a song plays from my laptop, and I smirk.

“Turn it off,” dad sighs.

“Okay,” I say, shrugging as I stand up.

“Stay!”, dad yells.

I wince, moping back into the living room.

“I’ll be out on the porch.”, I say. “Praying that momma gets back soon.”, I mutter.

“I’ll go with her.”, the black haired boy says, standing up.

“Keith,” Anna says gravely.

“What?”, the black haired boy asks innocently.

“I’ll watch him,” the dark brown haired boy says, smirking.

“Anna, Beth? Why don’t you go with them.”, dad says, smiling.

“Don’t worry, Mr. McPhee —,” Beth says before I stopped listening and just sat under the tree in the front yard. It was a big weeping willow.

“S’up?”, Keith asks, sitting down next to me.

“I hope you’re prepared to die young.”, I growl.

“Feisty,” Keith comments.

“Keith,” the other boy growls.

“Luke,” Keith says unemotionally.

“Kristina!”, I say sarcastically, smirking.

I turn up the volume on my laptop, “My Immortal” by Evanescence playing through the tiny speakers.

“So, what’s your belief on demons?”, Keith asks casually.

“That they’re real,” I say unemotionally, leaning my head back on the bark. “They’re just misunderstood souls trapped in a fiery grave. They grew tired and angry of being misunderstood, and became evil in their rage.”, I say, staring up at the sky.

“Interesting. And what about vampires?”, Keith asks casually.

“Nope,” I say, staring up the bark of the tree. “They’re just normal people with a medical problem and then formed into an over-exaggeration from the bored drunken men.”, I say, staring back at the laptop. I choose “Sweet Sacrifice” by Evanescence.

“Nice song,” Keith comments.

“Whatever. You’re just saying that ‘cause you’re desperate and want to get in my pants.”, I say, rolling my eyes.

“Nope. ‘Animal I Have Become’ by Three Days Grace was better, though.”, Keith says, studying the laptop in my lap.

I shrug, saying, “It’s okay.”

I decide on “All Around Me” by Flyleaf, smirking. “Man,” I sigh.

“What?”, they ask together.

“My guitar’s in my room.”, I say, frowning.

“I’ll get it,” Keith says, smirking.

“Ah, no,” I say, frowning.

“What, why not?”

“Because you’re a pervert.”, I say, smirking. Luke bursts out laughing, while Keith glares. “Yep. I said it!”, I say sarcastically, smirking.

“I’m sorry, Keith! That was hilarious!”, Anna says, stumbling onto the porch.

“Shut it,” Keith grumbles.

“You know it’s true. Don’t fight it, don’t deny it. Just accept the truth, it’s good for you.”, I sing, smirking. “If you can’t hear me, then that’s too bad for you. I’m here to stay, but not next to you.”, I sing, pulling out my notebook and quickly writing down everything as words start flooding my mouth.

“You’re a singer?”, Keith asks, raising an eyebrow.

“You know it’s true.
Don’t fight it,
Don’t deny it.
Just accept the truth,
It’s good for you.

“If you can’t hear me,
Then that’s too bad for you.
I’m here to stay,
But not next to you.

“I’m not gonna stay.
Not gonna listen.
Just step back,
Let me do my thing.”, I sing, writing down each word. “Umm …”

“Luke, don’t you play piano? And drums? And sing?”, Anna asks casually, walking over to us.

“Oh, Kristina plays piano! And violin!”, Beth says, smirking. “Not to mention the electric guitar! And she has the most amazing voice in the entire school!”, Beth says, smirking.

“We don’t know —,” I was cut off by Anna.

“Luke also plays the electric and acoustic guitar! And he had the most amazing voice in the city where we came from!”, Anna says in her fancy British accent. Luke rolls his eyes, his cheeks burning red.

“I have an idea! You two continue your fight in front of a lawyer, and let him decide!”, I yell over the two, pushing them toward the porch.

“What a splendid idea, Kristina!”, Anna says, already dragging Beth behind herself.

“I’d never thought that I’d be thankful for lawyers!”, Keith sighs, staring up at the sky.

“Quite sorry about Annabella. She gets very competitive.”, Luke says sheepishly.

“Please, Beth can’t stand it if someone thinks they’re better than her. Why do you think she’s my only friend?”, I say, shrugging.

“What about your boyfriend?”, Keith mutters, smirking.

I burst out laughing, rolling on the ground, clutching my stomach, nearly dying from lack of oxygen. “Oh, that’s a good one!”, I laugh.

“I was serious,” Keith says.

“Dang guys! I go to the bathroom for five seconds, and you all start dinner without me!”, a boy says, panting. He was much taller than Keith and Luke, and I could see a relation.

Luke glares at him. “We’re visiting,” Luke growls.

“Oh, in that case … hello, I’m Philander.”, he says, kissing my hand.

“And I’m Trevor,” a boy with midnight black hair says, smirking.

“’Kay,” I say, shrugging. I go back to my laptop, playing “My Immortal” by Evanescence.

“She has the attention span of a rock.”, Philander comments.

“You have the nerve to interrupt me and my music!”, I say sarcastically, smirking.

“Yeah! Well Kristina can dance!!”, I hear Beth yell, as she walks out the door and drags me toward the house.

“Daddy! You were supposed to help me!”, I whine.

“Just give us the performance of your life.”, Beth says, smirking.

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. “What do I get?”, I ask, raising an eyebrow.

“For the rest of the year, I won’t complain whenever you’re studying!”, Beth says, frowning.

“Fine,” I say, shrugging.

I run upstairs, grabbing my electric guitar. I plug it into the speakers downstairs, smirking. I play “All Around me” by Flyleaf, blasting the music. The lyrics were good, the beat I could rock out to.

My hands are searching for you
My arms are outstretched towards you
I feel you on my fingertips
My tongue dances behind my lips for you


This fire rising through my being
Burning I'm not used to seeing you


I’m alive, I’m alive

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I’m breathing
Holding on to what I’m feeling
Savoring this heart that’s healing


My hands float up above me
And you whisper you love me
And I begin to fade
Into our secret place


The music makes me sway
The angels singing say we are alone with you
I am alone and they are too with you


I’m alive, I’m alive

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I’m breathing
Holding on to what I’m feeling
Savoring this heart that’s healing


And so I cry
The light is white
And I see you


I’m alive, I’m alive, I’m alive

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I’m breathing
Holding on to what I’m feeling
Savoring this heart that’s healing


Take my hand
I give it to you
Now you own me
All I am
You said you would never leave me
I believe you
I believe


I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I’m breathing
Holding on to what I’m feeling
Savoring this heart that’s healed
,” I sing, smirking.

“See! Kristina sings best! Now play a song on that piano of yours!”, Beth says, pushing me toward the piano in the back sun-room.

I roll my eyes, sitting down. I decide on “My Immortal” by Evanescence. My fingers dance across the keys, as words sing out of my mouth.

I’m so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
‘Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won’t leave me alone


These wounds won’t seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There’s just too much that time cannot erase


When you cried I’d wipe away all of your tears
When you’d scream I’d fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me


You used to captivate me
By your resonating light
Now I’m bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me


These wounds won’t seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There’s just too much that time cannot erase


I’ve tried so hard to tell myself that you’re gone
But though you’re still with me
I’ve been alone all along
,” I sing, eyes closed, smile in place.

“Why, what talent your daughter has!”, the woman says, smiling. “Such a splendid voice!”

“Luke, why don’t you sing us something?”, Anna asks casually, already pushing him forward.

He glares at Anna, blushing a dark red. “Ah, no thank you, Annabella.”, Luke says, glaring.

I stand up, offering him the piano. “I’d personally like to hear you sing.”, I say, smiling.

“See! Now sing, boy! Sing like there’s no tomorrow!”, Anna says, pushing him toward the piano.

Luke sighs, rolling his eyes. “Do you have an acoustic guitar?”, Luke asks.

“Up in my room, I’ll go get it.”, I say, running up the steps. I come back down, handing it to him.

His fingers quickly strum the strings, as his voice breaks through the silence that had consumed it.

I miss the sound of your voice
And I miss the rush of your skin
And I miss the still of your silence
As you breathe out and I breathe in
If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what’s next
I’d make you believe
I’d make you forget


So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love


So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love


I miss the sound of your voice
The loudest thing in my head
And I ache to remember
All the violent, sweet, perfect words that you said
If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what’s next
I’d make you believe
I’d make you forget


So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love
So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love


I miss the pull of your heart
I taste the sparks on your tongue
I see angels and devils and God, when you come on
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on
Singin’ sha la la la
Singin’ sha la la la la


So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love
So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me, drown me in love


So wrong, So wrong
So wrong, So right
So come on, get higher
So come on and get higher
‘Cause everything works, love
Everything works in your arms
,” he sings, smiling.

“Wow,” I breathe. I had never heard a voice, famous or not, sing so beautifully.

“Ha! Luke’s better!”, Anna says, smirking. Luke rolls his eyes, chuckling.

“We’ll see what the lawyer thinks!”, Beth argues.

Beth,” I whine.

“Oh, stop complaining!”, Beth says, grabbing my arm and dragging me.

“Someone! Help! I’m being kidnapped by a psycho!”, I yell sarcastically.

“Oh, hush up! You gotta bribe a lawyer!”, Beth says, dragging me up to my room.

“Oh, no! Help!!”, I yell, struggling against Beth’s grip. Sadly, she had a good grip on me. “I’m not joking! Daddy!”, I scream.

“Hush up, you big baby!”, Beth says, nearly dragging me into the threshold.

Noooooo!”, I yell, breaking free. “Help!”, I yell, hiding behind Luke.

“What’s wrong?”, Keith asks, smirking.

“Beth’s gonna murder me!”, I squeak.

“How?”, Trevor asks, lounging on the couch.

“B-by —,” I was cut off as Beth stomped down the stairs.

“I see you!”, Beth growls. I go at a dead run.

“Help!!”

“Come back here, chicken!”

“Yes! I’m a chicken! Bawk, bawk!”

“Oh! You’re such a ham!”

“I thought I was a frickin’ chicken!”

“Now you’re ham!”, Beth says, just as she tackles me.

Daddy!”, I whine. “Someone!”

“What do I get if I help you?”, Keith asks, smirking.

“I’ll frickin’ kiss you!”

“Oh no you won’t!”, dad yells.

“Then you save me!”

“She’s not gonna hurt you.”

“Yes, she is!”, I say dramatically, struggling.

“Besides, I think they’re both good. It’s hard to tell who’s better.”, dad says, shrugging.

“She’s not getting out of this so easily!”, Beth yells.

“Save me!!”

“Stop drama queening!”

“Make up your mind! Am I a ham, chicken, or queen?”

“What a baby.”

“Now I’m a baby?! Make up your mind!”, I say sarcastically, sliding down the railing just as I break free. I fly off, hitting the wall. “Ouch,” I say, putting a hand to my head. I quickly go at a dead run as Beth chases me. “Curse my mother and all of that makeup in my room!”, I yell.

“Get back here!”

Never!”, I yell as I run outside.

“Now, that’s entertainment!”, Philander says, smirking.

“Shut up and help me!”, I growl, glaring.

“Nah.”

“You all suck!”

“Yeah, we always knew Keith sucked.”, Trevor says, smirking.

“Hey! I could save her! I just don’t see what I’d be getting out of the deal!”, Keith argues.

“No, you’re just too lazy!”

“Says the boy who walks around with a couch glued to his butt.”

By that time, Luke had already started helping me.

“Why are we running?”

“She wants to cake my face with makeup.”

Luke starts laughing, but keeping pace with me. “Alright, I’ll help.”

“Thank you!”

Luke runs over toward the porch, grabbing something. “Hey, Beth! Look what I got!”

I noticed that he was holding Beth’s purse.

“Gimme that back!”, Beth says, jumping to get it.

“Will you leave Kristina alone?”

“Fine,” Beth grumbles.

“Here you go.”

And I was home free. I did a cartwheel to celebrate. “You rock!”, I say, doing another cartwheel. I kiss Luke on the cheek, making him blush madly.