I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Fifteen: Puppets and Misconceptions

“You’re early.” I said, barely above a whisper. He just laughed and punched my arm like I was just one of the guys. I saw Jackson wince, but neither he nor Rob said anything.

“Surprise.” Justin said brightly. I was still trying to think right, my brain was extra slow. He pulled my into an extremely tight hug and I gasped at the sudden pain in my back. Either he really didn’t notice or didn’t care because he didn’t let me go.

“Justin-“ I gasped again-the pain was becoming unbearable. He dropped me and grinned.

“I know-early. But I got done early and thought I’d come sooner.” He said. I frowned slightly and looked to Rob and Jackson for help.

“Yeah-I’ve already met Rob and Jackson.” He said, slinging an arm around my shoulders. Jackson. I thought bitterly. I had a sudden urge to push him away but I didn’t want to be mean-I don’t like being mean.

“We’ll see you later, Mags.” Rob said before starting to pull Jackson away. I sighed as I looked at Jackson, but he wouldn’t look at me. Terrific.

Justin leaned on me, his arm still around my shoulders, and steered me away from my friends. Finally I couldn’t take the stinging that was pulsing through my back. I pushed him away gently and he looked at me, a flash of anger barely visible on his face.

“What?” He sighed, like I was a disappointment.

“My back hurts.” I explained, not bothering to mention that I’d rather have been with Jackson instead of him.

“Oh.” He said simply. “Sorry.” I doubted he really meant it but I didn’t push it. We walked for a bit in silence, but I didn’t head back for the library-I’d rather he not go there.

“So what’s there to do around here?” He asked, sounding really bored.

“Well, I normally go to the library-but everyone should be in the cafeteria.” I said. “Come on, I’ll introduce you to everyone.” I added and turned towards that building. We rounded a corner and there was Kellan. He grinned when he saw me, automatically giving me a hug.

“Careful-“ Justin said mockingly. “Her back hurts.” I clenched my jaw to refrain from hitting him.

“Who’s this?” Kellan asked, giving Justin a once over.

“This is Justin. Justin-this is my friend Kellan.” I introduced dully. They shook hands so tightly that their skin was turning chalk white. Justin released Kell’s hand and Kellan turned to me.

“Your back hurts?” He asked. I nodded, sighing.

“Slept wrong.” I said.

“Here, turn around and cross your arms like the losers who make out with themselves.” He said and I laughed but did as he asked. He wrapped his arms around me, over mine and hugged me tight to his muscular chest.

“Ok-breathe in deep.” I did. “Let it all the way out.” I did. “Again.” I repeated the process, making sure I had zero air in my lungs and he picked me up and my spine cracked loudly the entire length of my back. He released me and grinned.

“Gross.” Justin commented, but my back felt one hundred percent better.

“Better?” Kellan asked. I smiled appreciatively at him.

“Amazing-thanks.” I said, kissing his cheek. I noticed Justin roll his eyes but I ignored him.

“Good. So where are you going?” He asked.

“I was going to take him to the cafeteria to introduce him to everyone.” I explained.

“Cool. Cam isn’t there though, but Kristen is.” He said. I frowned.

“Where’s Cam?”

“With Edi and Rachelle, doing the shots where the bad vamps are doing their stuff.” He said lamely. I laughed.

“Ok.” I said.

“Can we continue?” Justin asked, irritated. Kellan started to say something and by the look on his face it was going to be mean, but I stopped him.

“Yeah.” I answered. I laced my hand with Kellan’s and we continued walking in silence. I may not be able to read minds, but it was quite obvious what both of them were thinking in the silence. Justin wished Kellan would leave us alone and Kellan wasn’t fond of Justin and wanted to punch him. Only my hand in his was what was stopping him, so there it stayed. I was confident he wouldn’t take anymore from it than he was my friend and I’d rather hold his hand than Justin’s. I know Kellan flirts with me all the time-but that’s all it ever is. He means what he says-but he likes flirting with every girl he sees. Not that he’s a whore or anything-just a naturally flirty person.

Personally-I didn’t really care what Justin got out of me holding Kellan’s hand.

We reached the cafeteria and Ashley was sitting next to Jackson and they were all in a circle with Kristen, Nikki, Rob, Taylor, Peter, Liz, Anna and Mike. Kellan let go of my hand and went over to sit between Nikki and Kristen. I slowly walked over to the small group, dreading the following few moments. I stood behind Taylor, automatically playing with the hair of his wig.

“Guys, this is Justin.” I said as everyone but Jackson looked at me. “Justin-you’ve already met Jackson.” I started. “That’s Ashley, Peter, Liz, Kristen, you’ve met Kellan. Nikki, you’ve met Rob, Taylor, Anna, and Mike.” I said, pointing to everyone. They all waved politely and he just smiled.

“Maggie-I have to talk to you.” Peter said, standing up and motioning for me to go into the hall with him. I followed him quietly.

“I’ve gotta see this.” Kellan said and followed after us. I turned to look at him to see him grinning. We rounded a corner and Peter stopped.

“OK-Maggie, I’ve already told everyone and Kevin already knows. Every year my wife and I throw a New Year’s Eve party and you’re invited as well. It’s formal so-“

“You mean I have to wear heels?” I asked flatly. He and Kellan laughed.

“Yes.”

“Are you trying to kill me? I thought you guys liked me.” I said pathetically. Kellan hugged me sideways.

“Of course we like you.” Peter laughed.

“Don’t worry-we won’t let you fall.” Kellan said, still chuckling.

“Kevin already said you’d be there.” Peter added. I rolled my eyes.

“Traitor.” I mumbled. Kellan kissed the side of my head as we walked back to the cafeteria. Peter had gone off to call his wife so I took his seat next to Ashley. Justin had taken Kellan’s vacated seat in between Nikki and Kristen. I didn’t want him flirting with them-not for my own selfish purposes –but because they would be just another notch in his bed post.

Kellan looked at my expression and then at Ashley’s. He seemed to read something in her expression because he clapped Justin on the shoulder.

“Have you been shown around the school?” Kellan asked. He shook his head and Ashley whispered something to Jackson.

“Let’s show him around.” Kellan suggested, looking to Rob, Taylor and Jackson. All three of them looked like they would rather swallow nails but stood up none the less. Justin stood up and looked at me.

“You coming?” He asked, a strange tone to his voice that I didn’t like.

“No-I have to talk to Ashley quick.” I lied. Any excuse to get away from him-how sad is that? He shrugged like it was my loss and left with the others. I waited till they were out of sight before groaning and dropping my head into my hands.

“What’s the matter?” Mike asked, giving me a concerned look.

“Is it bad that I really kinda don’t want him here?” I asked, raising my head to look at them.

“You don’t?” Anna asked, confused. I shook my head.

“I thought I did, back when he was coming for my birthday.” I mumbled. Ashley took my hand.
“Walk with me.” She said, pulling me to my feet and led me out of the cafeteria and to a random bathroom. Nikki, Kristen and Anna followed us. Ash went into the stall.

“I thought you liked him.” She said.

“I thought so, too, but now that he’s here-I don’t know anymore.” I said, thinking of Jackson and my heart fluttered. Being here, with all of them, made me realize just how poorly Justin had been treating me, like I was nothing to him. I liked the way Rob and Taylor and Kellan treated me. I liked how I could confide in Ashley, Nikki, and Kristen. I reallythe way Jackson looked at me-when we were speaking at least. I liked how Jackson held me like I was made of glass. I liked being treated like a girl and having people worry about me. I liked that Rob and Ashley had become my best friends, always there-whenever I needed them. Justin didn’t offer anything-other than sexual wishes, his not mine, which I refused.

Ashley came out and looked at Kristen, Anna and Nikki. Nikki gently touched my arm.

“Good luck, Mags.” She said softly before they left, leaving Ashley and I alone. She washed her hands and looked at me.

“Jackson’s mad, isn’t he?” I said finally.

“A little. He’s confused because of ‘what happened last night’-he doesn’t understand how you can just be with Justin so easily.” She explained. “What happened last night?” She asked.

“He gave me a small kiss.” I explained sadly, my lips tingling suddenly at the memory. “And I don’t want to. I’d rather just be with you guys-no Justin.” I said as we walked out the door and started to walk around slowly to talk.

We heard voices around the corner and stopped to listen as Justin started speaking in answer to a question Rob had asked, but we hadn’t heard.

“Peggy? Get hurt? Ha-that’s a laugh.”

“But she’s a girl-don’t you feel bad when you’re boxing against her?” Taylor asked, confused. Justin erupted in mocking laughter.

“Peggy’s not a girl. She’s as much a girl as I am.” He laughed.

“Ah.” Rob said, understanding something. “You’re the someone who said something once.” He said. How had he remembered that? I thought. I had said that over a month ago.

“What?” Jackson, Taylor, Kellan and Justin asked.

“Nothing-never mind.” Rob said.

“Peggy isn’t going to break from a few punches. And it’s not like she can’t throw a few herself.” Justin said.

“Her. Name. Is. Maggie.” Jackson said angrily and I could hear his retreating footsteps. I felt Ash pull me back so we could leave as well and we headed back to the cafeteria in almost silence.

“What did Rob mean?” She asked. I sighed, pushing aside my angry thoughts so I could answer her.

“That day that I had made the riggies-he was the only one left inside and I asked him if I acted like a girl.” I said. “He said yes and then asked why I was asking. I told him it was just something someone had said to me once.” I explained.

“Oh.” We rounded the last corner to see Jackson pacing angrily. I paused and Ash went into the cafeteria to give us some privacy.

“Jackson-are you ok?” I asked, wondering what he could be so upset about. He looked at me and flinched like I had slapped him

“No.” He muttered.